View Full Version : Best Thrift Store/Goodwill/SA Finds

wingzam
06-24-2012, 04:57 PM
as an avid garage sale person, i usually score on vinyl. But, this day, amid a bunch of 'professional' gear for sale, i saw a pair of b&w dm601s. With another person looking hard at them, i fidgeted and fumed while he asked all kinds of questions like: Do they work?, are they expensive to fix, etc. Etc. Finally, he moved on and i grabbed them. Price? Oh, $25.00. The last pair i bought for my son were $450.00. Score!!

sweet!!

Sam Cogley
06-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Hey,thanks for that link.Too bad the news though...maybe I can break even with the tonearm.

It seems like there should be some way to upgrade the bearing. Even with it being the weak link in the table, they seem to sell pretty well.

Looking at Pio's link, it's easy to see why the uber-cool Scott 710 turntable is so rare - it was $125 when a Rek-O-Kut Rondine Deluxe only cost $80 and a Garrard 301 was only $88!

Cogsinister
06-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Hey,thanks for that link.Too bad the news though...maybe I can break even with the tonearm.

It doesn't mean the turntable is no good !

I bet it will work great with a little TLC !

Great find by the way.

wingzam
06-24-2012, 08:24 PM
It doesn't mean the turntable is no good !

I bet it will work great with a little TLC !

Great find by the way.

It will be easy enough to get this thing up and running.I thought it is interesting that this is a stereophonic tonearm and cartridge,but only has 3 wires.

A little creativity and engineering and this thing would look cool on legs rather than sitting in a case!

ggeorge
06-24-2012, 08:28 PM
And, yes, it is mint!!! inside the inner sleeve too. Looks like someone opened it, but never took it out...

(Quite a few other records there in similar condition, a lot of it Columbia six-eye, but titles that didn't have as much appeal...)

Also picked up an interesting Hank Williams MGM soundtrack record to a film titled "Your Cheatin' Heart" (SE-4260) and a Carter Family album called "I Walk the Line" (HS 11392), but those two were only VG...

barfbaggs
06-24-2012, 09:05 PM
Not from Goodwill, or S.A. but off of CL, I was able to grab a Pioneer RT-707 reel to reel, a Pioneer PL-530 TT, and a pair of DCM Time Frame 600's this weekend.

Pioneer RT-707 in perfect working order and easily 9 of 10 condition.

Pioneer PL-530 also in perfect working order and 9 of 10 condition.

DCM Time Frame 600's in perfect working condition and 8.5 of 10 shape.

Not too bad at less than $200 for all three.

Svt
06-25-2012, 06:04 PM
Sony 444ESX integrated amp and tuner today...

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/lwrs10/IMAG0123.jpg

just dave
06-25-2012, 06:15 PM

Damn man! You've been having some great freakin luck lately especially with seps.:tresbon:

Svt
06-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Damn man! You've been having some great freakin luck lately especially with seps.:tresbon:

if you only knew.....i only post about 1/4 of my finds in here.

janikphoto
06-25-2012, 07:04 PM

All the old people in FL are dying off and their stereos are going to thrift stores and estate sales! I bet FL is full of deals like this...

wingzam
06-25-2012, 07:35 PM
All the old people in FL are dying off and their stereos are going to thrift stores and estate sales! I bet FL is full of deals like this...

I'm in N.FL and I'll tell ya,I gotta run like a madman to find anything.From time to time I hit good,but for the most part it's low to mid quality surround receivers,etc..

I pass on a lot of the stuff I run across and our GW just gets nothin.
N-U-T-H-I-N!

Can't remember the last time I found separates except the McIntosh stuff I just got.

Have thought of going down to Tampa/St. Pete - a lot of old folks passing on down there,but it's a grueling drive..

Pio1980
06-26-2012, 02:28 AM

I scored that tuner at our county HFH ReStore for $15 IIRC, best tuner I've owned or used and even the AM is outstanding.

Van_Isle
06-26-2012, 03:21 AM
As an avid garage sale person, I usually score on vinyl. But, this day, amid a bunch of 'professional' gear for sale, I saw a pair of B&W DM601s. With another person looking hard at them, I fidgeted and fumed while he asked all kinds of questions like: do they work?, are they expensive to fix, etc. etc. Finally, he moved on and I grabbed them. Price? Oh, $25.00. The last pair I bought for my son were $450.00. Score!!

Excellent! Watch out ... in a week it's holiday time for me for the rest of the summer. I was thinking it's time to do a bit of garage sale hunting - something I haven't done much of before.

wingzam
06-26-2012, 06:05 AM
Excellent! Watch out ... in a week it's holiday time for me for the rest of the summer. I was thinking it's time to do a bit of garage sale hunting - something I haven't done much of before.

Welcome to the vulture pack!Don't expect results too soon though,one has to develop the Jedi mind powers of magnetically attracting stereo equipment,as well as "seeing" equipment miles away and letting the Force lead you to it!

It could take years to become a Jedi Warrior and you'll often misread what you're seeing and end up with old bread boxes,printers,VCR's..and the worst - Tupperware containers!AAACH!!

hbrocks
06-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Found this at the goodwill sittin on the cart.
-Needs Plattermat
-Counterweight
-cart

curious to see how it stacks up against my Dual 1229Q.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/bshef/stereos/IMG_20120624_183742.jpg

SoundsAlike
06-26-2012, 04:29 PM
I went to an estate sale on Saturday. Walked away with a pair of JBL 4312s for $75. I then went to a record store and while looking through the bins an older gentleman was looking to unload his classical LPs. The store was not able to look at them at that time so I asked for a look through. I found 53 pristine LPs.

Including a half dozen Jimi Hendrix and others including Muddy Waters, David Bowie (8 in total), 2 Led Zepplin and a 45 with the Immigrant Song (delighted to find that), Rush, Traffic, Deodato and a couple of bootlegs. Everything was $25.00 (53 LPs total)

The rest was classical. One LP with Yo-Yo Ma really delighted me.

hbrocks
06-27-2012, 10:52 AM
agreed....thread has jumped the tracks

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeSer5nbRUDvJDKz9MbRQQ_ckGZ3plf mg15LwZps3R1NXUekYdRQ

wingzam
06-27-2012, 10:53 AM
Here's a situation that could get some hackles up.
I was waiting in front of GW before opening time when a lady walks up with a very nice ice cream maker.She was in a hurry and asked if I wanted it.
I took it,sold it on ebay and made a hundred bucks!

:naughty:

wingzam
06-27-2012, 11:03 AM
agreed....thread has jumped the tracks

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeSer5nbRUDvJDKz9MbRQQ_ckGZ3plf mg15LwZps3R1NXUekYdRQ

Oops,you beat me to my post by a second,so I'll stop now.

Putterman
06-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Having started this detour onto the ethics of thrift store shopping, I'm happy to put things back on track. Found an Onkyo TX-15 20wpc receiver at the local GW for $10, not quite a score but OK. Also grabbed some CD's at $2 apiece., The Who - Odds and Sods still in plastic, Fatboy Slim - You've Come a Long Way Baby, and Shostakovitch Symphony 10.

Fisherdude
06-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Threadcraps, pile-ups, and assorted other stuff deleted.

Let's keep this between the white lines.

Thanks.

Teradacto58
06-27-2012, 04:23 PM
I walked into a thrift store a while back....on the side door in the parking lot... was a Sansui S-X700 receiver...I picked it up..and walked into the store..explained to the lady it was left outside... I said "How Much?" .....She gave it to me for $5.00 Works good....in my kitchen!

Dandy
06-28-2012, 02:35 AM
Threadcraps, pile-ups, and assorted other stuff deleted.

Let's keep this between the white lines.

Thanks.

It must be a tough job moderating this 'ueber-thread', but thanks for letting it run.

Fisherdude
06-28-2012, 06:29 AM
It must be a tough job moderating this 'ueber-thread', but thanks for letting it run.

The money makes it all worth it.

wingzam
06-28-2012, 07:00 AM
The money makes it all worth it.

LOL,we all know it's filthy rich people who got tired of world traveling,collecting antiquities and exotic women who become Super Moderators!:yes:

Putterman
06-28-2012, 09:20 AM
A followup to my previous post on the Onkyo TX-15 aka TX-1000. It's a BOTL Japanese built receiver from the early 80's. This was a time of "decontenting" due to the appreciation of the yen and a bad world economy and it shows. There's no Aux, you have to listen to line level sources through the Tape Monitor. It only has provisions for 1 set of speakers and perhaps most damning of all, it is spec'ed as 40hz-20khz@0.3%THD rather than 20hz-20khz. However it has a good tuner. Most of my stations come in clean stereo and it has decent sound. It's currently hooked up to Eckman 505 speakers (think vintage Becker aka Radian Research) 3 ways that were being tossed and needed refoaming. It's a little bassy with those speakers which I suspect is more speakers than amp. Also, the TX-15 unlike its big brother the TX-85, which I also have is cute and uncluttered and reasonably attractive in the BMC mode. (M for Metal rather than plastic)

P.S. I wasn't trying to threadcrap in an earlier deleted post, just raising what I thought was a reasonable moral point. If this isn't also deleted, people in a few years will wonder what the heck I was talking about?:confused:

SoundsAlike
06-28-2012, 02:40 PM
A followup to my previous post on the Onkyo TX-15 aka TX-1000. It's a BOTL Japanese built receiver from the early 80's. This was a time of "decontenting" due to the appreciation of the yen and a bad world economy and it shows. There's no Aux, you have to listen to line level sources through the Tape Monitor. It only has provisions for 1 set of speakers and perhaps most damning of all, it is spec'ed as 40hz-20khz@0.3%THD rather than 20hz-20khz. However it has a good tuner. Most of my stations come in clean stereo and it has decent sound. It's currently hooked up to Eckman 505 speakers (think vintage Becker aka Radian Research) 3 ways that were being tossed and needed refoaming. It's a little bassy with those speakers which I suspect is more speakers than amp. Also, the TX-15 unlike its big brother the TX-85, which I also have is cute and uncluttered and reasonably attractive in the BMC mode. (M for Metal rather than plastic)

P.S. I wasn't trying to threadcrap in an earlier deleted post, just raising what I thought was a reasonable moral point. If this isn't also deleted, people in a few years will wonder what the heck I was talking about?:confused:

I hope you'll allow me to nit pick your posts since you did so to another's....This is your best find? Can you understand the thread title? That is a BOTL receiver. And the b does not stand for best of the line. So, what's your best finds again?

baco99
06-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Just picked up a Motorola FH200 receiver for 3 bucks.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8006/7458598178_8629d0092e_z.jpg

Putterman
06-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Alright, my best finds; Avid 103 speakers $7 SA, Pioneer SX-535 receiver $10 GW, Pioneer SX626 receiver $10 GW, HK AV230 receiver $40 GW, Onkyo TX-727 $25 GW, BA 70 speakers $15/pr, and probably the best find of all SONY DVP S7700 dvd player $15 GW which was TOL in 2000.

A couple of points.

1. The Onkyo is the most recent find. Most of the other are at least 2 years old.

2. I'd argue that that receiver is quite a bit better than comparable SONY's, Technics, and many other receivers of that era. The title of the thread is not YOUR best GW/SA find but rather mine.

3. I hit the thrifts a few times a week and this is the best item I've found in the last 3 months. I interpreted the title of this thread as your recent finds, not stuff you found a few years ago.

4. Finally having apparently derailed the thread, this was one way to get it back on track.

elcoholic
06-28-2012, 04:15 PM
My best finds were Allison AL-110's and an Onkyo TX-8511 seperately, but both on Freecycle.

Headhunter
06-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Do Craigslist finds count? If so, I just put together a pretty nice bedroom system consisting of a SWEET Sansui 6060, JBL 62t's and an Aiwa sub (tucked under the bed), total investment of $60. Wall-mounted the speakers firing downwards at the bed, sound fantastic playing my storm simulator app on iphone at night, also treats music fantastic too!

janikphoto
06-28-2012, 09:01 PM
My best finds were Allison AL-110's and an Onkyo TX-8511 seperately, but both on Freecycle.

Nice! My freecycle has turned up a few things I could use, but nothing like that! Today I got a Marantz 6200 turntable at an estate sale for $50, and a small stack of vinyl at various thrifts around town, averaging a buck or two a piece.

mrflex65
06-29-2012, 06:12 AM
Picked up a pair of realistic nova 6's at my local goodwill for $15.One grill had a stain on the bottom,but washed right out.I must admit,they sound pretty damn good!:yes:

deadphish
06-29-2012, 12:32 PM
Found 14 records at my local SA in very nice shape, jacket and vinyl. This joint NEVER has any good vinyl. They were all a little on the obscure side, which works for me, but makes me wonder what was sold before i got there.

No regrets though, i done good.

I never knew Leon Russel cut a live record with New Grass Revival...

Daunia 70
06-29-2012, 02:08 PM
I found these cute looking pieces this afternoon for 10 each,not high end or even that much of a 'score',but i just couldn't leave em there.
The 'baby' Panasonic amp is particularly nice,very well built although i don't know when,sweet sounding as well through headphones.
I was feeling very happy,until the missus spotted me bringing them in through the back door,it was worth the hassle though.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/captainharlock_1969/paulb004-6.jpg

janikphoto
06-30-2012, 03:11 AM
I thought about bringing this home for $17, but then I realized I don't need another tape deck... even if it IS a Technics vintage silver unit. I also saw a nice vintage Pioneer tape deck from the 70's that was big and cool looking. But, again... I'm not going to bring home every piece I see! I wish I could find a nice old amp, like some of you do...

wingzam
06-30-2012, 03:58 AM
I thought about bringing this home for $17, but then I realized I don't need another tape deck... even if it IS a Technics vintage silver unit. I also saw a nice vintage Pioneer tape deck from the 70's that was big and cool looking. But, again... I'm not going to bring home every piece I see! I wish I could find a nice old amp, like some of you do...

Like this Proton D1200 for $9.99?:banana:
Which has a blown out channel:pity:

thorenstd124
06-30-2012, 09:35 AM
I got this on Monday,but haven't been able to post it until today.I go to GW almost every day now,mostly to dig in the bins,found some killer,and valuable,20s classical 78s this week,but last Saturday,I went in,only a few days after finding the Scotts,and couldn't believe it,when I saw this 1961 French Provincial Magnavox Imperial.It has a ring stain from a glass on it,but basically,it's like new otherwise.It even came with a replacement NOS needle.

It was $49.99,cheap enough.I knew I could not get it home,though.I also knew my landlord was coming over on Tuesday.We have become great friends since my mother died in April.I was on pins and needles worried it would be there.When I went back on Monday,the news was even better.They had reduced it to $17.99:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: :yippy:

I was able to get it home the next day.I have used it a little,and I'm a convert.:ntwrthy: Everything they say about Maggies is true.I don't know if I need to get another console after this.

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j418/rkebay/066.jpg
http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j418/rkebay/067.jpg

What model and type of Collaro comes with these Imperials?

thorenstd124
06-30-2012, 10:41 AM
Found this at the goodwill sittin on the cart.
-Needs Plattermat
-Counterweight
-cart

curious to see how it stacks up against my Dual 1229Q.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/bshef/stereos/IMG_20120624_183742.jpg

I passed on a Technics SL-1500 yesterday in the bins.It had no cartridge,and the counterweight would not adjust at all,so the arm stuck up in the air.I will freely admit,I have enough gear now,to buy stuff to flip.I didn't know if it was worth putting the money into getting it fixed if I was going to resell it.Had someone with a blackberry look it up,and there were none on the bay I could get a price on.

Was it worth spending $3.00 on?

thorenstd124
06-30-2012, 10:52 AM
I'm in N.FL and I'll tell ya,I gotta run like a madman to find anything.From time to time I hit good,but for the most part it's low to mid quality surround receivers,etc..

I pass on a lot of the stuff I run across and our GW just gets nothin.
N-U-T-H-I-N!

Can't remember the last time I found separates except the McIntosh stuff I just got.

Have thought of going down to Tampa/St. Pete - a lot of old folks passing on down there,but it's a grueling drive..

Don't know where you are,but google "goodwill clearance center" and Florida.That's where you go to dig in the bins for all the good stuff.I see they have them in Orlando,Fort Lauderdale,and Bradenton.This seem to be largest to smallest.

You will find Clearance Centers act as collection points either for an entire state,or for a big section of a state,so the stuff from where you are,may be trucked down to Orlando or Fort Lauderdale.

thorenstd124
06-30-2012, 11:13 AM
16" transcription discs were common in earlier broadcast days, both civilian and military. Before the advent of 33 rpm discs, it was a way to cram a longer play time onto each side, after 33 it was a good way to send longer programs out. Telephone relays and magnetic tape killed them pretty quickly, but I've seen radio programs as late as the 1980s distributed on 12" LPs.

If you want to see something really impressive, look up the huge transcription turntables that had 16" platters. A friend has an RCA unit, it's ridiculously big.
Make that early 1990s.King Biscuit and other programs were sent to radio stations on pre recorded tapes until about 1975-6 when they switched to vinyl.Other shows like American Top 40 were vinyl from the start.

This blog (http://randsesotericotr.podbean.com/) has a lot of cool transcriptions with labels,from the 30s and 40s.I have a couple of 16" transcriptions I can't play.These are early 50s programs of the Amsterdam Concertgebouw pressed in the US in like 1951-53.I have some from '54-'55 that were pressed in Holland,that are box sets of 10" Lps.

I think it was like '88-'92 that vinyl radio shows were phased out for CDs.I think for a while they were pressing both CDs and vinyl.The last I saw on vinyl of any radio show,was 1991.Do they still make radio shows on CD?

thorenstd124
06-30-2012, 11:19 AM
This score sort of counts. I was leaving the thrift store and saw a truck heading to the donation area in the back. I thought I saw a pair of speakers. A few words with the person dropping them off and $10 later, I have a pair of Sansui SP-2500s and a Technics receiver, about 6X less than I would have paid in the store.

I am looking for a good pair of speakers.I had somebody push me aside at the bins a few months ago,and beat me to a big old pair of Sansuis of about this vintage.Are they any good?

d2e8b8
06-30-2012, 12:05 PM
Yesterday, I passed on a pair of Yamaha NS-430's. They were marked at $30 and while looking at it started chatting with the store manager.

I mentioned I wasn't able to see the drivers because the front grill wouldn't come off (and I wasn't going to try and use strength in case I damaged something).

He tried to help take them off and couldn't (and I know now that they're fixed). Anyway, he offered the pair for $20 and even though I was really tempted, I decided to pass.

Wrong decision?

Couldn't find much on the net except for a thread here on AK.

Dandy
06-30-2012, 03:49 PM
I got this on Monday,but haven't been able to post it until today.I go to GW almost every day now,mostly to dig in the bins,found some killer,and valuable,20s classical 78s this week,but last Saturday,I went in,only a few days after finding the Scotts,and couldn't believe it,when I saw this 1961 French Provincial Magnavox Imperial.It has a ring stain from a glass on it,but basically,it's like new otherwise.It even came with a replacement NOS needle.

It was $49.99,cheap enough.I knew I could not get it home,though.I also knew my landlord was coming over on Tuesday.We have become great friends since my mother died in April.I was on pins and needles worried it would be there.When I went back on Monday,the news was even better.They had reduced it to $17.99:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: :yippy:

I was able to get it home the next day.I have used it a little,and I'm a convert.:ntwrthy: Everything they say about Maggies is true.I don't know if I need to get another console after this. What model and type of Collaro comes with these Imperials?

That's such a great story, including that you've made some good finds and good friends over a sad time. If you work on this console, please post the story.

Me Tarzan
06-30-2012, 03:51 PM
Just picked up a pair of Radio Shack NOVA 7B speakers from a thrift store, $10 for the pair. Still haven't cleaned them up or plugged them in but they appear to be well taken care of. Someone valued them enough at one time to engrave their SS# into both of them. Will open them up before testing them to check for modifications in crossover or driver swaps. 7 or 8 out of 10 condition.

superdog
06-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Just picked up a pair of Radio Shack NOVA 7B speakers from a thrift store, $10 for the pair. Still haven't cleaned them up or plugged them in but they appear to be well taken care of. Someone valued them enough at one time to engrave their SS# into both of them. Will open them up before testing them to check for modifications in crossover or driver swaps. 7 or 8 out of 10 condition.

I had some Nova 6 that were quite a bit better than I expected.Military guys would ID their gear by putting their ssn on equipment.I have seen a few pieces where they ruined it cosmetically.Probably did it on day one.

wingzam
06-30-2012, 08:27 PM

Talk about modifications.I picked up a pair of Bozak B300 Urban speakers.They sounded great,and when I opened them up to do the same thing you did,they were missing the mid range speakers and crossover networks!

So I was amazed they sounded so good and disappointed all at the same time!

janikphoto
06-30-2012, 10:30 PM
I passed on a Technics SL-1500 yesterday in the bins... Was it worth spending $3.00 on?

It's hard to see NOT getting your $3 back out of it, just in parts... but, a broken, lower-end TT probably won't pay the mortgage.

Today I hit an estate sale, and there were some good 78rpm records at a buck a piece. I got:

Dean Martin - That's Amore on Capitol (2589)
Ambrose and his Orchestra - Rhapsody In Blue on Decca (F.5454)
Rosemary Clooney - Half As Much on Columbia (39710)
Pee Wee Hunt - Twelfth Street Rag on Capitol (15105)
Sarah Vaughan - Slowly With Feeling on Mercury (70646)

thorenstd124
07-01-2012, 01:18 AM
That's such a great story, including that you've made some good finds and good friends over a sad time. If you work on this console, please post the story.

To be honest all it really needs is a recap,and a lube job.It runs and sounds great as it is.I doubt it has had a lot of use.I think I have found a local AKer who can help me do this.You would not believe the incredible things that have happened to me in the last two months.

Dandy
07-01-2012, 01:34 PM
To be honest all it really needs is a recap,and a lube job.It runs and sounds great as it is.I doubt it has had a lot of use.I think I have found a local AKer who can help me do this.You would not believe the incredible things that have happened to me in the last two months.

That's good to hear all round. Sometimes life works out and doesn't need more than a recap too. It'll be good to put that Maggie to use.

Sam Cogley
07-01-2012, 02:01 PM

I was able to get it home the next day.I have used it a little,and I'm a convert.:ntwrthy: Everything they say about Maggies is true.I don't know if I need to get another console after this.

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j418/rkebay/066.jpg
http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j418/rkebay/067.jpg

What model and type of Collaro comes with these Imperials?

It's a variant of the Collaro Conquest.

Interesting console. No "Astro-Sonic" markings, so I assume it's tube, but it has the solid-state style knobs and the transitional changer with the 10" platter but the taller speed selector and built-in well for the 45 spindle.

thorenstd124
07-01-2012, 04:50 PM
It's a variant of the Collaro Conquest.

Interesting console. No "Astro-Sonic" markings, so I assume it's tube, but it has the solid-state style knobs and the transitional changer with the 10" platter but the taller speed selector and built-in well for the 45 spindle.

I know from both an old magazine ad on eBay,and from a posting in the photos section of the Magnavox Friends Yahoo! group it's a '61 model.So therefore tubed.The '62 Imperials I have seen have the tuner in the front.What year were the first Astro-Sonics?Was it '63?

I suspected it was a Collaro Conquest (http://midimagic.sgc-hosting.com/collaro.htm),by the way it felt the records before playing them.Probably one of the fancier models.

It will be probably be used every day,and kept out of direct sunlight.

I went back today,and I found a 1966 Fisher 440-T for $5.00.Don't know if there is any interest in them,sort of like my 1968 Stereomaster I bought at GW for $3.00 last year,that I want to sell now.The Fisher has no cabinet because it got smashed being tossed around in the bins.The cabinet absorbed all the shock,and protected the receiver.

You would think more interest in early solid state components from the 60s.I wonder if I ought to hold onto them a couple years,and see if the market picks up.

I also found a 1983 USS Enterprise Cruise Book,sort of like a year book,and four records that came to $2.00.One of these is a late 60s Pronto/Cotillion music publishing sampler on a late 60s/early 70s Atlantic test pressing.Sam & Dave,Wilson Pickett,Aretha Franklin,and Don Covay.pretty much M-.Those cruise books are kind of pricety at the auction site.

mnrocketry
07-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Been enjoying this thread since I subscribed to AK a few months back! Finally have something to contribute.

Bought this Denon DCD-1500 II cd player for $22 through an auction for a local non-profit. A few scratches on the top; otherwise looks great and works nicely.

http://www.mn-rocketry.net/misc/audio/photos/denon_dcd-1500-ii.jpg

mnrocketry
07-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Not from a thrift store, but through a local auction, acquired a "new" system on Friday that's going to work nicely in my garage.

Pioneer S-710 speakers, A-60 integrated amp, SG-540 equalizer, CT-30 cassette deck, F-70 tuner, and DT-550 timer. Got it all for $17.70

Amp, tuner, EQ, and speakers all work. Haven't messed with the timer. Don't own a single tape to try in the deck. Have the speaker grilles, but the fabric is pretty ratty-looking.

http://www.mn-rocketry.net/misc/audio/photos/pioneer_stack_1.jpg

http://www.mn-rocketry.net/misc/audio/photos/pioneer_stack_2.jpg

http://www.mn-rocketry.net/misc/audio/photos/pioneer_stack_3.jpg

janikphoto
07-02-2012, 01:41 AM
...Don't own a single tape to try in the deck...
http://www.mn-rocketry.net/misc/audio/photos/pioneer_stack_2.jpg

I see cassette tapes for $0.50 all day long at local pawn shops, thrift stores, etc... It will be easy to pick up a few good tunes on tape!

wegsleep
07-02-2012, 04:18 AM
OMG, you mean those old console systems are worth something? Crap. Now I've got more stuff to obsess over!

Best scores? Not exactly thrift stores, but in my business in the construction industry, people often ask me to 'haul away' old or seemingly broken stuff. If I know it has some kind of value, I tell them, since it's the right thing to do. Most of the time this is stuff that came with the house they bought and are going to remodel, and they're usually pretty loaded, so they don't really care about making some extra money dealing with Craigslist. On that note...

Best ever:

- Dunlavy SC-III, free. Missing bases and grills. Now my reference system. Came with the AV center channel as well.

- McIntosh 7200, c34v, and CD player/tuner as well. Bartered for 5 hours labor. Also my reference system.

- Magnum Dynalab FT-101a, bartered for a couple hours labor, now being used for the test/PA receiver for BMIR, Burning Man Information Radio. Might swap it for a MCS I picked up this week while thrifting, though.

- Sunfire Theatre Grand 5-channel amplifier. A bit of hum, needs a little bit of other repair. Has been sitting on the shelf for a couple of years.

- Very, very old NOS Telefunken toobz, sealed in boxes, at a big flea market in Vienna, Austria. €20. They're rare but also esoteric, only being used for fancy old mics. FL805 or something like that.

- Top of the line Miele dishwasher, only a few years old, free.

- McIntosh MA5100, $5 at a yard sale back in 1987.

- SAE 2600 from a yard sale, in college. Price unknown, and I may have dumpstered it. It's currently in for an evaluation to potentially recap/repair and sell (or maybe run the Maggies with it).

Sadly, I JUST MISSED this one this week:

"Technics Turntable SL-15 new cartridge and stylus - $65 ... - Craigslist
Jun 21, 2012 ... This turntable is in very good working condition, with no problems. Plays up to speed, and steadily. Plays 7" 45 rpm and 12" 33 rpm records ."

Recent stuff from actual thrift stores? HUGE stack (250+) vinyl, mostly M though NM- with some new unopened. RCA reds/living stereo, Decca, Columbia six eyes, etc. Pretty much all classical. I'm getting on 4000 records now, and I'm pretty much prepping to open a store through Gemm (will happily take suggestions for other sites, though! :) and this also spawned my interest in a proper record washer. I think though that most of my vinyl has been killed from DJing and cranking up tracking forces on Orto Blue/Nite Club Concordes when things didn't sound right. We were philistines to some extent, as much as we loved vinyl, back then. Anyway this is a weird thing to even be discussing, as I haven't really sold any of my vinyl at all in the last 25 years or so.

- Factory Records (I collect the entire label) FAC-2 double 7" for $12.

- Magnepan 1.4 - $150

- TODAY at an estate sale: 1938 IBM Model 35 Master clock. Weight driven master clock with automatic electrically powered winding that could run up two five electrical slave clocks. $12.

janikphoto
07-03-2012, 02:36 AM
I found a pretty cool album a local thrift today... it's called An Evening At The Famous Flying W Ranch on Flying W Records out of Colorado. It sounds a bit like a Roy Rogers type of disc. It appears to be a live recording, and all the band members signed the back! Not bad for under two bucks!!!

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=360201&d=1341297274

Hajidub
07-03-2012, 04:07 AM
I found a pretty cool album a local thrift today... it's called An Evening At The Famous Flying W Ranch on Flying W Records out of Colorado. It sounds a bit like a Roy Rogers type of disc. It appears to be a live recording, and all the band members signed the back! Not bad for under two bucks!!!

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=360201&d=1341297274

Sad to say the Flying W Ranch was recently destroyed in our wildfires, after 71 years of being open for business. A classic for sure!

Sam Cogley
07-03-2012, 04:15 AM
Talk about modifications.I picked up a pair of Bozak B300 Urban speakers.They sounded great,and when I opened them up to do the same thing you did,they were missing the mid range speakers and crossover networks!

So I was amazed they sounded so good and disappointed all at the same time!

That's because you bought B300s that were never upgraded to B302s. B300 was cabinet and the B199 coaxial woofer/tweeter setup. They could be bought that way and later upgraded to B302 with the crossover and B209 midrange, or purchased as B302s.

janikphoto
07-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Sad to say the Flying W Ranch was recently destroyed in our wildfires, after 71 years of being open for business. A classic for sure!

Yeah, I read that on someone's blog, while researching the album. Sad news...

Van_Isle
07-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Not a thrift store .... but off craigslist today - a NAD 7140 receiver for $20 from the original owner :D They had about 20 responses and I was 1st and apparently replied about 10-seconds after it was posted.

wegsleep
07-03-2012, 09:50 PM

Good copies sell for $16 on gemm.com... unsigned.

SwingModern
07-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Just bought these today at a thrift. It was half-off day, so $5. Think I'll put these in the garage to sub out some Fraziers I have.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3ec_j1gU-8U/T_SC2Br45TI/AAAAAAAAAjs/GM-gt7Rv2Vk/s1600/P1011623.JPG

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-chQgAzCP7xE/T_SC4dxEksI/AAAAAAAAAj0/GMufmsqvkWI/s1600/P1011624.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-cuWwJwGFtE4/T_SC650L_ZI/AAAAAAAAAj8/jWavAZcPNY8/s1600/P1011625.JPG

hal126
07-04-2012, 02:09 PM
I am new to this hobby and am very anxious to get started. I just want to start upgrading and soldering new parts. Fortunately, I realize I don't know anything about electronics and got some books to read before I ruin something.

So, my first purchase was a unknown great find, a Fisher 500C ($20) that when I replaced the fuse, it powered up. I unplugged it and set it aside. Today I got a German Console from Loewe Opta (Free). It only has the receiver section remaining but it is tube. It has FM and short wave and switches between them by pressing button. Does anyone know if this is worth working on. At least it might be used to help me learn from. I am excited about the find either way.

chicks
07-04-2012, 02:16 PM

Interesting history of the ranch and its band on WikiPedia. Except the last paragraph - destroyed by fire a few days ago! :tears:

Jedi
07-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Just bought these today at a thrift. It was half-off day, so $5. Think I'll put these in the garage to sub out some Fraziers I have.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3ec_j1gU-8U/T_SC2Br45TI/AAAAAAAAAjs/GM-gt7Rv2Vk/s1600/P1011623.JPG

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-chQgAzCP7xE/T_SC4dxEksI/AAAAAAAAAj0/GMufmsqvkWI/s1600/P1011624.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-cuWwJwGFtE4/T_SC650L_ZI/AAAAAAAAAj8/jWavAZcPNY8/s1600/P1011625.JPG

Have you opened these up ? I got a pair from GW but mine have a 12 , 5 and a horn tweeter . The mid/tweeters on one are dead . But I found that I like these better than the Pioneer CS-88s that I've had for a while . Cool find man .
Rudy.

SwingModern
07-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Have you opened these up ? I got a pair from GW but mine have a 12 , 5 and a horn tweeter . The mid/tweeters on one are dead . But I found that I like these better than the Pioneer CS-88s that I've had for a while . Cool find man .
Rudy.

I only opened one up quickly. Very clean inside. From what I can tell all three speakers work in each cabinet. Already looped into the garage system.

Luthierman
07-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Technically, none of the above in terms of location. This was an auction find. Not a single person would bid on them. It came down to "Come on, someone give me two bucks" I raised my number up and, "Sold", Not bad I would say.

Those are 7591 tubes in the larger Sylvania boxes on the left.

scuba
07-04-2012, 05:03 PM
I am sorry folks, but you just have to stop finding all this awesome gear or I will just have to shoot myself out of envy:D. I have had one good find in 15 years and nothing since. Must have really low levels of Audio Karma (place groans here)

icenine
07-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Sony TA-N110 power amp $5
Infinity 2500 speakers $20.

This place either has bpc or the motherlode...same place I found KEFs and a Nakamichi BX-300

I did not need any of these but could not resist the Sony when I asked the manager how much and he said $5. The cashier knocked off $5 for the speakers my wife is a haggler. One thing that really made me laugh (inwardly) was that they charged a woman $40 dollars for two sets of those surround sound speakers that come with those all in one home theater systems. I guess the Sony and Pioneer name brands did it.

epimt3
07-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Sony TA-N110 power amp $5
Infinity 2500 speakers $20.

This place either has bpc or the motherlode...same place I found KEFs and a Nakamichi BX-300

I did not need any of these but could not resist the Sony when I asked the manager how much and he said $5. The cashier knocked off $5 for the speakers my wife is a haggler. One thing that really made me laugh (inwardly) was that they charged a woman $40 dollars for two sets of those surround sound speakers that come with those all in one home theater systems. I guess the Sony and Pioneer name brands did it.
What are those speakers you picked up?

janikphoto
07-05-2012, 12:19 AM
I got a couple Joan Baez albums for $0.50 a piece. I never cared for her popular songs enough to dig deeper, but at a price of two for a dollar... well, that's hard to beat! And they are very clean records, too. Oh, and I got a really cool test album for a buck. read about it in this other thread:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=454372

Saint Johnny
07-05-2012, 12:45 AM
- Factory Records (I collect the entire label) FAC-2 double 7" for $12.

:jawdrop:

Factory's first ever release!!!!
Seeing as you collect the label, you do realize how rare, valuable this is?
(If it is an original)

icenine
07-05-2012, 01:15 AM
What are those speakers you picked up?

Infinity 2500s right? That is what it says on the back.

Ashfan
07-05-2012, 10:34 AM

Picked up a pair of 7b's at the ARC for $7.50 (half price with my Grumpy Old Man discount) on Tuesday. Came with nice RCA cords and the spec sheets taped to the top. Of course, the tape ruined one of the spec sheets. However, after cleaning and oiling them I hooked them up to a Yamaha CR-450 and they sound real nice.

roberttx
07-05-2012, 10:40 AM
I got a Motorola SK14M, minus the satellite speaker for $10, last week.

The cabinet was beyond help, which meant that I had no qualms about pulling the stereo EL84 PP amp, Jensen P15R and the rest out of it.

Ashfan
07-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Good copies sell for $16 on gemm.com... unsigned.

Wow, being in Colo Spgs I have seen those many a'time in the thrifts. Not being a fan of the Flying W singers I have passed them up but maybe I should reconsider.

janikphoto
07-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Wow, being in Colo Spgs I have seen those many a'time in the thrifts. Not being a fan of the Flying W singers I have passed them up but maybe I should reconsider.

It's a good disc, if you like that 1940's style chuck wagon country stuff. It's very Roy Rogers. I wouldn't own a whole stack of this stuff, but a disc or two can be a ton of fun!

janikphoto
07-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Oh, and I forgot to mention this find, which I posted in the turntable section, but it really is worthy of the "thrift find" thread:

I was rummaging through the thrifts, like I always do and found this CBS test record catalog # STR 100. It was in perfect condition, so I bought it for $0.99 plus sales tax ($1.07 total). After bringing it home, I googled it and it seems to be a handy little item:

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable...c.php?p=263210

I see a couple on epay for $50-$75, so I might've scored a nice little treasure here! Anyone else have this? Anyone else know what tests I can use, if I don't have an oscilloscope?

Here's a pic of the cover:

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable...c.php?p=263210

Me Tarzan
07-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Picked up what I believe are a pair of Advent Prodigy II's for$10 in need of a serious refoam. I need the practice and everything works great on them, might even sand, paint, stain, cloth them if they sound good with my 8w tube amp and stick'em in the bedroom. There is no model number on them but there is a serial number and Jensen on there somewhere so Prodigy II? Anyone familiar? Sorry for quality of pic...

Me Tarzan
07-05-2012, 07:16 PM
A little digging around the AK site turns up that the Advent's are 1002's. Here is a quote form the thread "Identifying You Advents" :

"x002
Now for what I argue are the best advents made: The x002 series

Notes about the series:The x002 series were the cream of the crop when it came to both looks and sound. The cabinet styling was the same for the entire line except for one special model the 5012w

The cabinet styling resembled the "new advent" bullnose but they were all covered in utility vinyl.The 5012 was styled EXACTLY after the "New advent" walnut veneer finish, grill trim and all.

The x002 series Introduced something new - a soft dome tweeter. This opened up the top end for the advents that had not previously been possible with the older fried egg tweeters. They could also handle more power and were not as venerable do death from excessive volume. The dome tweeter was available on all models EXCEPT the 1002 and 2002.

The x002 series showed up on the market around 1985. It is unknown exactly when the x002 series production ended. There are later versions that actually were made after jensen took over, so it may have been well into the early 90s."

Sounds good to me consider them restored!

americankiwi
07-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Akai, GX-636, + GX-646, X-150D, 5, 10.5 metal reels in boxes, one metal take-up reel...remote control for GX-636 , 2-NAB's, total = $80
Thanks to a AK member!...Thanks "Frazier"

SwingModern
07-05-2012, 07:56 PM

(If it is an original)

Did Factory put out New Order and Joy Division LPs? If so, I have a bunch of original pressings.

Cogsinister
07-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Did Factory put out New Order and Joy Division LPs? If so, I have a bunch of original pressings.

Yes they did.

I was there in Manchester at the very time.

:banana:

Dean Varga
07-05-2012, 10:12 PM
In late 2009 I walked in a Mesa, Arizona Goodwill store by chance on a Saturday 50% off day and standing in the corner was a pair of 1st generation B&W 801 speakers. A little rough but they were tagged at $19.95ea .

I got two for the price of one. They needed some work, but I'll lift those
pigs into the back of my suburban every day of the week at that price.

cheers,dean:banana:

Cogsinister
07-05-2012, 10:18 PM
At long last i found some records worth buying !

Called into Value Village on the off chance and found these..

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7114/7511900514_1611c783c5_b.jpg

The Dan Fogelberg was $1.99 and the other Two were $2.99.

All in near mint condition, and at the checkout the Dan Fogelberg was Free for some reason, so i was pretty happy as records are so hard to find round here.

janikphoto
07-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Time to share today's fun estate sale score:

I got there at 8:45am and there were maybe 10-12 people already waiting. maybe three of them looked kind of like stereo guys, but one of the three definitely looked like a stereo guy!

Doors opened at 9am, and I spot the KLH speakers so I beeline it over there. They were model six in nice condition, priced at $95 for the pair. Whether or not it was a good deal, I didn't need them for that price, so I looked around for the other stuff... but, I didn't see anything. People were moving around pretty quick, so I knew I had to think smart. I asked the worker where the stereo stuff was and she said upstairs, second room.

I booked it upstairs and got in the room a nanosecond before the guy who I thought definitely looked like a stereo guy made it in (from here forward, we'll just call him Mr. Stereo). I put my hands on the Dynakit 70 and start looking at it closer. He bends down to check out some turntables (both cheap plastic 70's models - one was radio shack and the other was a low-end sony), but I can tell he wanted to reach that Dynakit first. He looks at me to see if I'm going to leave it, then says, "Oh, it's just a solid state unit." He said it in a tone that made it sound like junk.

I couldn't find a price, so I took it downstairs (quite a challenge, as the three pieces were heavy), and asked the woman taking money what the price was. A woman behind her said, "Oh, that's what I was going to do. I didn't get the stereo stuff priced yet." Then the checkout woman said, "I don't know... how about $40"

I said, "sold!"

I paid then started searching the rest of the house. I ran into Mr. Stereo again, and I said that Dynikat was $40. He had a stack of of tubes in his hand and said, "It should work nice. It looks like the guy took care of his things. This is a spare tube for it."

I would've liked to have found and bought any spare tubes I needed, but oh well... I got my deal of the day! It looks like these things have a pretty solid following with lots of spare parts and upgrades online.

Oh, and the other score at that sale...

I was digging through the books and spotted one by Ogden Nash. Not a first edition, but I found his autograph inside it! A three dollar book that should sell for a hundred or more, judging by the price of his autograph that I've researched...

So, what do y'all think? :banana:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=360833&d=1341592988

VintagePlus
07-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Score!! Good Job!

Daunia 70
07-06-2012, 02:03 PM
I found this NAGAOKA CD cleaning system (CD 1100K) today in a charity shop for 1.50p.It's never been used,must be quite rare too,can't find any for sale on a Ebay worldwide search or on a Google search (just a spare spray/pad).
Surprisingly this is actually all made in Japan.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/captainharlock_1969/paulb001-7.jpg

tartarctrl
07-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Pretty good garage sale score.

Paco SA-40 - $3
Astrocom Marlux Model 407 reel to reel - $3
Seco Model 103C tube tester - $5
Eico Model 950B Resistance Capacitance Comparator Bridge - Free but not working.
Eico Model 324 Signal Generator - Free

janikphoto
07-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Pretty good garage sale score.

Paco SA-40 - $3
Astrocom Marlux Model 407 reel to reel - $3
Seco Model 103C tube tester - $5
Eico Model 950B Resistance Capacitance Comparator Bridge - Free but not working.
Eico Model 324 Signal Generator - Free

There was a Paco tube tester at the estate sale I went to. Didn't have a price, and I didn't know how to use it... I passed on it.

Cactus Bob
07-06-2012, 02:32 PM
In late 2009 I walked in a Mesa, Arizona Goodwill store by chance on a Saturday 50% off day and standing in the corner was a pair of 1st generation B&W 801 speakers. A little rough but they were tagged at $19.95ea .

I got two for the price of one. They needed some work, but I'll lift those
pigs into the back of my suburban every day of the week at that price.

cheers,dean:banana:

Wow! :thmbsp:

rickknight
07-06-2012, 04:08 PM
...I would've liked to have found and bought any spare tubes I needed, but oh well... I got my deal of the day! It looks like these things have a pretty solid following with lots of spare parts and upgrades online...

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=360833&d=1341592988

Deal of the day! Heck, that would make my "deal of the decade". Great score, I'm jealous. And still waiting for my next (first!) great score.

Rick

wingzam
07-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Time to share today's fun estate sale score:

I got there at 8:45am and there were maybe 10-12 people already waiting. maybe three of them looked kind of like stereo guys, but one of the three definitely looked like a stereo guy!

Doors opened at 9am, and I spot the KLH speakers so I beeline it over there. They were model six in nice condition, priced at $95 for the pair. Whether or not it was a good deal, I didn't need them for that price, so I looked around for the other stuff... but, I didn't see anything. People were moving around pretty quick, so I knew I had to think smart. I asked the worker where the stereo stuff was and she said upstairs, second room.

I booked it upstairs and got in the room a nanosecond before the guy who I thought definitely looked like a stereo guy made it in (from here forward, we'll just call him Mr. Stereo). I put my hands on the Dynakit 70 and start looking at it closer. He bends down to check out some turntables (both cheap plastic 70's models - one was radio shack and the other was a low-end sony), but I can tell he wanted to reach that Dynakit first. He looks at me to see if I'm going to leave it, then says, "Oh, it's just a solid state unit." He said it in a tone that made it sound like junk.

I couldn't find a price, so I took it downstairs (quite a challenge, as the three pieces were heavy), and asked the woman taking money what the price was. A woman behind her said, "Oh, that's what I was going to do. I didn't get the stereo stuff priced yet." Then the checkout woman said, "I don't know... how about $40"

I said, "sold!"

I paid then started searching the rest of the house. I ran into Mr. Stereo again, and I said that Dynikat was $40. He had a stack of of tubes in his hand and said, "It should work nice. It looks like the guy took care of his things. This is a spare tube for it."

I would've liked to have found and bought any spare tubes I needed, but oh well... I got my deal of the day! It looks like these things have a pretty solid following with lots of spare parts and upgrades online.

Oh, and the other score at that sale...

I was digging through the books and spotted one by Ogden Nash. Not a first edition, but I found his autograph inside it! A three dollar book that should sell for a hundred or more, judging by the price of his autograph that I've researched...

So, what do y'all think? :banana:

Great score!!!
You gotta love the opening bell drama of an estate sale.I do the same thing,look for the Stereo Guys.Size em up,"OK,can I out run these guys!If we get in a shoving match - ya,I can take those guys!"

I've got a few tricks up my sleeve that gives me an edge,but I'm not going to reveal them here!:smoke:

BTW,GREAT SCORE!!!!

wingzam
07-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Deal of the day! Heck, that would make my "deal of the decade". Great score, I'm jealous. And still waiting for my next (first!) great score.

Rick

Rick,I remember when I first joined Audikarma.I had been going to yard sales and stuff and just hardly ever found any stereo equipment worth a darn.I even cried about it in a post - maybe on this thread.

One of the members said "Hang in there,it's coming your way",and sure enough I started finding the good stuff!

So,I'm passing along the Good Audiokarma -"Hang in there,it's coming your way"!

"To be clear,Good Audiokarma - I'm not giving Rick MY audiokarma,just hooking him up with the connect!"

"In the name of Good AudioKarma,amen"

rickknight
07-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Wingzam,

Thanks for kind words of encouragement, and for the "connect" to good Audiokarma. I will keep on looking and one of these days I'll post my find here.

Thanks,
Rick

reelwierd
07-06-2012, 05:51 PM
So today i went and did the rounds at the local shops and I came back with: Various vinyl including Ghostbusters (45rpm) and The White Album
a Pioneer CT-F500 tape deck

mrflex65
07-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Came across these cute JBL J2050 speakers at my local goodwill for $8 in pretty much mint condition. listening to them as we speak.....:music:

Cactus Bob
07-06-2012, 06:32 PM
I picked up a Denon DCD 1500 cd player from '87 at a GW for 12 bucks in mint condition and sounds great. I bought the same player new in '86 (my first CD player) for $550.00 at United Audio in Chicago.

http://www.maxdat.eu/_galeria/_galeria/Denon%20DCD-1500/Denon_DCD-1500_1.jpg

audiobiker
07-06-2012, 06:35 PM
i just picked up a pair of Brand new Optimus Pro LX5 bookshelves for 4.99 :D

SwingModern
07-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Scored a pair of Mission speakers for $6.

badtoby
07-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Fisher 100c $5.00 garage sale
Marantz 2238 $13.00 estate sale
Altec A7-500's $40.00 craigslist

janikphoto
07-07-2012, 02:39 AM
Came across these cute JBL J2050 speakers at my local goodwill for $8 in pretty much mint condition. listening to them as we speak.....:music:

I loved the brightness of that series of JBL speakers when I was younger. Not sure how I'd like them now, though.

I picked up a Denon DCD 1500 cd player from '87 at a GW for 12 bucks in mint condition and sounds great. I bought the same player new in '86 (my first CD player) for $550.00 at United Audio in Chicago.

I love Denon gear. Much of my stuff is Denon.

mrflex65
07-07-2012, 11:22 AM
I loved the brightness of that series of JBL speakers when I was younger. Not sure how I'd like them now, though.

I love Denon gear. Much of my stuff is Denon.

Actually they sound pretty good on my Sansui 7900Z, not harsh at all.
I originally bought these as "test" speakers for doing stereo repairs...:D

janikphoto
07-07-2012, 02:03 PM
I stopped off at an estate sale today and saw three pairs of speakers in the garage. One pair was an 80's rack system blah set, another was a Sony 70's era with the wires going straight into the box (I think the guy had a cheap 70's Sony table unit), and then I saw these KLH model Twenty speakers. They are in rough condition on the outside... The cabinets have bad water damage on the bottom inch, they are covered in dirt and bugs, and the grills have stains. However, the speakers appear to be in great shape.

The cost for these speakers? Two dollars! :banana:

If worse comes to worse, which I'm sure it will, I'll just part these out. The water damage can't really be seen from the front, but as soon as you get near the back, you see the plywood has bulged and distorted on the bottom board and on the first half inch of the side boards. But still, I've got more than $2 worth of parts here, so I think I did good...

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=361116&d=1341683867

VintagePlus
07-07-2012, 02:19 PM
I would definitley try to restore before parting out. You would be surprised what howards restore a finish and steel wool can do.

electronjohn
07-07-2012, 02:53 PM

I picked up a pair of those at a garage sale a couple of years ago. They're good little speakers...not bass monsters by any means...but a nice, open sound.

I paid a tad less than you did, but refuse to rub it in. Anytime you can get a nice-sounding pair of speakers for less than $10 you're doin' good:yes:

mrflex65
07-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Picked up this nice Sansui TU-417 in very good condition for $25 on craigs...:D

wingzam
07-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Well I didn't find anything audio this weekend,but I did find a pair of stainless brake lines for $10.Retail about $150.

There's still Sunday at the flea market!

DanCheet
07-07-2012, 09:30 PM
Today's cash - 4 excellent condition Minimus 7 's in walnut for $15. I have no use for them as of now.....what to do, what to do.

canuckaudiog
07-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Not an audio find, but today I passed up a vintage projector. It was a Bell and Howell's, I think, RC 55.

It was $10 and who knows if it worked or needed a new lens. A cool find though!

mech986
07-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Today's cash - 4 excellent condition Minimus 7 's in walnut for $15. I have no use for them as of now.....what to do, what to do.

Nice, less than $4 each. Could be the start of a 12.4 multichannel system :scratch2:

LairdMcDuff
07-07-2012, 11:27 PM
Latest score - a pair of HPM-100s!!

jim t
07-08-2012, 12:46 AM
A Hawaiin shirt for christmas with tiki's and Santa Claus made in Hawaii, with the original tags and price tag $48.00 for $5.

VintagePlus
07-08-2012, 12:51 AM
Latest score - a pair of HPM-100s!!

Dare I ask how much? Also, pics please!

janikphoto
07-08-2012, 02:28 AM
A Hawaiin shirt for christmas with tiki's and Santa Claus made in Hawaii, with the original tags and price tag $48.00 for $5.

Apparently, taste in shirts is even more subjective than speakers!!! :scratch2:

cfinchrist
07-08-2012, 03:37 AM
Was very blessed today. Went to Salvation Army and got a JVC R-S7 Receiver(which is 55 watts per channel, cleaned up nicely, and works perfectly). Also got a Denon POA 2200 in near perfect cosmetic shape. It does not work but this 200 watt per channel beauty is worth fixing. The JVC was $2.75 and the Denon was $25 !:banana::yippy::banana:

SixCats!
07-08-2012, 07:03 AM
Hi all,

A few of my most recent finds includes a nicely built/looking and sounding "MCS" (aka J.C. Penny) Model 3050 FM/AM Digital Tuner for eight dollars. Pulls in my favorite ROCK Station 45 miles away no problem. I also recently found SNELL Type "J" Speakers for four dollars the pair. The Woofers will need to be re-foamed but, other than that, quite good condition. I must say however, one of my most exciting finds was a FREE pair of Classic BOZAK 201A bookshelf speakers. Heavy little "ugly puppies". While they might not win any Beauty contest, I just can not believe how WONDERFUL these Bozak 201A speakers sound! I set them up on tall stands in my Bedroom. The 201A's have bested every book shelf (and some larger) speakers that I own/have owned.

Regards,
SixCats!

undergroundr
07-08-2012, 08:57 AM
Nice clean vinyl of Electric Ladyland, Atom Heart Mother and Lennon's Walls and Bridges at the SA the other day for $2 each.

FLHXRI
07-12-2012, 06:16 PM
I found some nice clean vinyl and some CD's no great gear in a while :(

Me Tarzan
07-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Just got a really clean pair of Polk Audio Monitor 4A's for $10!

Years of Production: 1984

Original MSRP: $220/pair

Headhunter
07-12-2012, 06:48 PM
I have recently read this thread from the beginning, and am amazed at what some people have found. Also noticed the scores dwindling from some serious equipment and speakers to people happy for a few albums or blank cassettes. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for you all, and jealous of ANYONE who can beat the "poachers" to a great find, but it seems if you don't have all day to hit the thrifts your chances of finding anything worthwhile is slim. Maybe it's just my area.
One of these days I'll find something worth crowing about, until then I'll just keep checking CL every few hours.

LairdMcDuff
07-12-2012, 06:55 PM
My latest 'good find' was a pair of HPM-100s for $60 at GW!! Mechanically perfect, cabs need refinishing - some planter stains and such - but WOOHOO! HPMs for $60!!! How great is that? This may rank up there with the Carver M-1.0t and the Carver C-6 for $60 each! Or the 9090DB, or the STA-2100 (with toroid transformer).

Cogsinister
07-12-2012, 07:54 PM
Yep, the supply of "Scroes " is running out...........

bwayjoes
07-12-2012, 09:37 PM
I've had a darn nice week after a dry spell. It started with 2pair (4) hpm 100s all cabs are great, all grilles and badges, just one driver has a small tear in it. -$80. Today I hit a scroe. A minty pioneer sx-3900 with original manual, an average pioneer sx3800, a DUAL c830 cassette deck,mint marantz 2226b, 3 turntables(lab390,reference 620t,Harmon kardon t30c) one ortofon,one Stanton, and one shure. All 7 pieces for 18$. :smoke: it was a a thrift that wanted to get rid of the "old" stuff and make room for "the people really want". I may go back tomorrow and grab the cerwin Vegas 217r that are mint, but need refoamed. These things are huge. Now if I can only figure out how to post pics from the iPad.

canuckaudiog
07-12-2012, 10:38 PM
I've had a darn nice week after a dry spell. It started with 2pair (4) hpm 100s all cabs are great, all grilles and badges, just one driver has a small tear in it. -$80. Today I hit a scroe. A minty pioneer sx-3900 with original manual, an average pioneer sx3800, a DUAL c830 cassette deck,mint marantz 2226b, 3 turntables(lab390,reference 620t,Harmon kardon t30c) one ortofon,one Stanton, and one shure. All 7 pieces for 18$. :smoke: it was a a thrift that wanted to get rid of the "old" stuff and make room for "the people really want". I may go back tomorrow and grab the cerwin Vegas 217r that are mint, but need refoamed. These things are huge. Now if I can only figure out how to post pics from the iPad.

Whoooaaa SCO--- err, I mean SCROE!!

FLHXRI
07-13-2012, 01:05 AM
I have been having a dry spell. My last score was a month ago, JBL L-19's and two months before that a Nakamichi SR3A. My scores are few and far between but I still make the drive once a week to Flint, Saginaw, Bay City and Midland for audio nirvana! I have been hooked for a while now!

janikphoto
07-13-2012, 01:13 AM
I have recently read this thread from the beginning, and am amazed at what some people have found. Also noticed the scores dwindling from some serious equipment and speakers to people happy for a few albums or blank cassettes. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for you all, and jealous of ANYONE who can beat the "poachers" to a great find, but it seems if you don't have all day to hit the thrifts your chances of finding anything worthwhile is slim. Maybe it's just my area.
One of these days I'll find something worth crowing about, until then I'll just keep checking CL every few hours.

First of all, Reading this thread from beginning to end is like reading War and Peace or some other long novel... complete with all the ups and downs and cliffhangers and recurring characters!

Secondly, I have a friend in your area that I asked to keep an eye open for any vintage gear when he hits the thrifts. He hasn't been doing it, and I was a little frustrated, because I always keep an eye open for the stuff he wants. But, I guess I feel less frustrated knowing it is few and far between up there. Even if he WAS holding up his end, he still wouldn't be finding stuff for me, I guess.

janikphoto
07-13-2012, 01:19 AM
Today I spent $30 at an estate sale and got a Pioneer PL-12D that only needs a new cart, a 70's Technics SA-300 receiver that needs some cleaning, some Fisher XP-67 speakers that need a refoam, and a pair of Superex Pro-B VI headphones. It was a lot of gear to bring home.

I put the Pioneer TT up on CL, hoping to recoup the $30 and I'll play with the rest of the stuff for fun!

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=362028&d=1342110405

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=362029&d=1342110405

derekva
07-13-2012, 03:09 AM
Not sure if the prices I paid make these scores or not, but I got a Sony TC-K611S cassette deck that had just been serviced for $50 on Tuesday and a Sony DVP-S7700 that's pretty minty today for $40. I'm still thinking I got a good deal on both.

Sorry, I don't have any photos at present.

-D

Dandy
07-13-2012, 04:17 AM
In the US it seems as if one-off sales, like estate, yard, church etc are the ones to look out for, rather than thrift stores.

I wonder about used furniture stores? Here this week, I got a Cossor CR1607 stereo R to R tape recorder for 5, complete with handbook, service manual and schematic from a used furniture store. It's a rebadged Philips machine and works, apart from some gooey belts, which look as if they will cost 15 to replace! There is some sign of cost-cutting in the design, but it is built like a tank compared with cassette decks I have. At the time it was sold, it would have cost the same as a nice stereo tube amp, or two mono tube amps.

wingzam
07-13-2012, 04:59 AM
Today I spent $30 at an estate sale and got a Pioneer PL-12D that only needs a new cart, a 70's Technics SA-300 receiver that needs some cleaning, some Fisher XP-67 speakers that need a refoam, and a pair of Superex Pro-B VI headphones. It was a lot of gear to bring home.

I put the Pioneer TT up on CL, hoping to recoup the $30 and I'll play with the rest of the stuff for fun!

I've had terrible results trying to sell on CL,but for some HAM equipment I had one guy drive from Houston and for a Yamaha acoustic guitar a guy drove 3 hours..I did have a guy drive from Ft.Lauderdale for a pair of Klipsch KG 5.2's

Unfortunately I live 45 min. North from the nearest big city,that being Gainesville,FL.

I have to drive an hour or better to Jacksonville,FL to find any decent stuff,but the best scroe I've ever had or could ever expect to find,I found in this boring azz little place!

BTW what's the story behind the use of the word "scroe" instead of "score"??

roberttx
07-13-2012, 08:37 AM
In the US it seems as if one-off sales, like estate, yard, church etc are the ones to look out for, rather than thrift stores.
This is probably ground that's been gone over many times, before I turned up, but here's my 2c.

On thrift stores, it depends on the store. Goodwill seems to have jumped the shark, asking ebay prices pretty much nationwide, from what I've seen. The SA varies - the one in our town is very good, but the one in the next town over charges higher prices for the same items than the antique store across the street. The ACB is pretty good round here, as are some of the smaller thrifts - it all depends.

On estate sales, it also depends. Round here, good deals are to be had at the family run sales and some professionally run ones, but a lot of the folks who own antique stores are moving into the business and pricing everything sky high.I guess that helps them in two ways - it makes their store prices look reasonable and they get a lot of stock when nothing sells, but I don't think it does much for the families.

I wonder about used furniture stores?
I wonder about that every time I pass one - I'll have to stop in and investigate.

wingzam
07-13-2012, 09:03 AM
The Goodwill S-U-C-K-S around here!Also GW is putting their good stuff on shopgoodwill.com and getting better money for it than you pay on eBay,without decent photos,or buyer protection,and alot of the stuff is untested or just partially tested,with no returns...

I get along good with the GW workers,so I won't say more than that about GW and their ways of doing business these days..

Cogsinister
07-13-2012, 09:24 AM
I spotted a turntable among a pile of stuff with a "Free" sign by the kerb.

Went and grabbed it and found it was a Pioneer CEC made low end belt drive ( i never even looked at the model number ), got it home to find the motor was full of solidified melted belt, so i stripped it for parts and trashed the carcass.

I did get a very nice Shure M75 with its original .6 conical stylus on a very nice headshell from it, so it wasen't all bad.

wingzam
07-13-2012, 09:56 AM
I came home from the yard sales today with THE MOST iffy stereo thing you can find - a lead on stereo equipment!

Can't tell you how many of those I've gotten that turned up ZIP!About all of them.

I ask for stereo components at every sale I go to and only twice hit pay dirt.Once I scored a pair of Vandersteen C2's,a high dollar Technics linear drive TT and three other good components for $200.Made that back on the TT alone.

It was VERY hard to let go of those Vandersteens,but I needed dental work..

beer
07-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Not a stereo, but has speakers and will be ran through a stereo. Panasonic LCD Projector to watch movies in the backyard against the garage wall. I thought it was a little high($60.00) but I pulled the trigger. Looked online to find a manual, sure enough this thing retails for $5200.00 new. Works perfectly.

Beer

Robint
07-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Yesterday found a Realistic SCR 4500 at GW for $4.75. Produced in 1985 at $499.95. 60 Watts a channel, works fine even the cassette deck. When I saw it I was not that interest but on picking it up the heft made me buy it. Now installed in the bedroom with a Technics SL-J3 linear tracker and a Sylvania CD1560 playing through a pair of Minimus 7W's. :banana:

p.s. Forget that another GW I picked up J. S. Bach Organ Works 16 cd's for $3.50.

iggyks
07-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Astatic JT-30 bullet microphone - classic vintage harmonica mike - for $14. With the original box, stand and paperwork!!

jmanny
07-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Just picked up from Habitat for Humanity a pair of Advent 3 bookshelf speakers for $3.50. They were $4 but I got my senior discount. Hooked up to a 50wpc Craig 5503 and they sound real good.

Bloch
07-13-2012, 04:08 PM
...My scores are few and far between but I still make the drive once a week to Flint, Saginaw, Bay City and Midland for audio nirvana! I have been hooked for a while now!

Hey!, that's my territory. stay out!... just kidding, hope to see ya around!:D

FLHXRI
07-13-2012, 04:24 PM
That's OK, I enjoy the competition! I have many secret honey holes lol!

Alex Hayes
07-13-2012, 09:28 PM
That's my territory as well! Although competition is stiff, I have found my fair share of goodies.

FLHXRI
07-13-2012, 10:20 PM
So have I, I think there is enough stuff out there to make all of us very happy!

electronjohn
07-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Astatic JT-30 bullet microphone - classic vintage harmonica mike - for $14. With the original box, stand and paperwork!!

That is sweet.

dragonhead00
07-13-2012, 11:07 PM
Yesterday found a Realistic SCR 4500 at GW for $4.75. Produced in 1985 at $499.95. 60 Watts a channel, works fine even the cassette deck. When I saw it I was not that interest but on picking it up the heft made me buy it. Now installed in the bedroom with a Technics SL-J3 linear tracker and a Sylvania CD1560 playing through a pair of Minimus 7W's. :banana:

p.s. Forget that another GW I picked up J. S. Bach Organ Works 16 cd's for $3.50.

That's a cool deck. I've wanted one since learning that they even existed.

cmmatt123
07-13-2012, 11:53 PM
While I was slaving away at work, my wife hit up a few garage sales. She ended up bringing home a Quadraflex 650fet-r, which she was able to get for $5! Now that's a supportive wife. :thmbsp:

Dandy
07-14-2012, 03:11 AM
While I was slaving away at work, my wife hit up a few garage sales. She ended up bringing home a Quadraflex 650fet-r, which she was able to get for $5! Now that's a supportive wife. :thmbsp:

Looks a nice unit. According to another thread here it was TOTL of their black face range back in the late 70s.

Cogsinister
07-14-2012, 07:58 AM

How about a pic or Two ?

It's just a name and numbers with no pics.

bwayjoes
07-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Here is a link to my latest grab of receivers that I gave less that $10 for.

http://s1050.photobucket.com/albums/s410/bwayjoes/?action=view&current=2e192897.jpg&mediafilter=noflash

My first attempt trying to get a pic to show.

It worked!

TomInTacoma
07-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Today's GW score is a cherry pair of Cerwin-Vega! VS100's. The guy told me he put them on the floor less than 5 minutes before I showed up. All they need is a dusting - all for $20.

Also brought home a Terk FM antenna to play with for $4.

All in all a good day I'd say.

SwingModern
07-14-2012, 05:54 PM

http://s1050.photobucket.com/albums/s410/bwayjoes/?action=view&current=2e192897.jpg&mediafilter=noflash

It worked!

What a great score!

luckyed
07-14-2012, 06:34 PM

It worked!

You got all of those for $10? So what models are they? Looks like a Marantz and Pioneer like maybe 3700 or 3900? Nice going!

bwayjoes
07-14-2012, 07:13 PM
You got all of those for $10? So what models are they? Looks like a Marantz and Pioneer like maybe 3700 or 3900? Nice going!

A 2226b, a sx3800, asx3900(with manual,schematic and receipt of purchase). I actually gave $18 for those 3 plus 3 turntables and a really cool dual c830 cassette deck.

I'll flip these and want to start a fund for some small mono tube amps.

mrflex65
07-14-2012, 08:05 PM
Kenwood KR-4130 and KLH 17 speakers from original owner bought in '71 for $50.....:D

mrflex65
07-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Too much excitement today! I paid $50 for them.....:o

goddessj
07-14-2012, 09:32 PM
2 GE G-501 speakers $5 mint condition
Realistic tuner T-1001 $5
Technics amp VC-4 $5
Hitachi digital projector (came with a new lamp, all just needed an adjustment) I know, it's vid, but a good find at $20.
Fisher MT-400 turntable with new cartridge $10

Added in a new DVD player from wallyworld for $40 and I've got a sweet home theatre that will vibrate the house, other than the TV, which I bought new, cost less than $100.

bwayjoes
07-14-2012, 09:43 PM
Too much excitement today! I paid $50 for them.....:o

Very nice.

mrflex65
07-14-2012, 10:06 PM
You didn't do too bad yourself....:thmbsp::yes:

Sam Cogley
07-14-2012, 10:21 PM

It worked!

Replace those tags with tags and the picture should display in the thread. You might have to remove the extra URL behind the .jpg extension, I don't know if it will work inside the [img] tags.

Jibbajaba
07-14-2012, 11:55 PM
I picked up a couple of cool items in the past few weeks from a local thrift store.

I was putting together a stereo system for a friend of mine, and I spotted a 5-disc changer that was from the same product line as the amp that I'm giving him (newer Yamaha, no big deal), so I grabbed it for $7. It had a pair of AudioQuest Jade Hyperlitz interconnects hooked up to it, and they were wrapped up and rubber-banded to the power cord. Pretty fast karma payoff for doing a favor for a buddy! The only component that I have hooked up to my system is my turntable, so I guess I'll stick these new interconnects on that.

A few weeks prior, I found a pair of older Paradigm Titan V1 bookshelf speakers. One of the cones had it's foam detached, but it wasn't ripped or anything, so I just glued it back on with craft glue. They sound awesome, and were a clear upgrade from the Pinnacle HT speakers that I was using.

janikphoto
07-15-2012, 12:37 AM
...My scores are few and far between but I still make the drive once a week to Flint, Saginaw, Bay City and Midland for audio nirvana! I have been hooked for a while now!

That's my territory as well! Although competition is stiff, I have found my fair share of goodies.

I bet all those well-paid union auto workers used their money to buy nice stereo gear back in the day. Now that they are all dying off, the vintage beauties are ending up in the local thrifts!

janikphoto
07-15-2012, 12:41 AM
I've had terrible results trying to sell on CL,but for some HAM equipment I had one guy drive from Houston and for a Yamaha acoustic guitar a guy drove 3 hours..I did have a guy drive from Ft.Lauderdale for a pair of Klipsch KG 5.2's...

...BTW what's the story behind the use of the word "scroe" instead of "score"??

Not me. I just sold the TT for $40 to a kid starting out his vintage audio addiction. The table worked nice, so he got a good deal, and I have more money to keep up my never-ending hunt!

And, the scroe thing... it's just like the internet "teh" thing, an "alternate" spelling for "the". Some words are so commonly mistyped on the web that the misspelling has taken on a life of its own!

janikphoto
07-15-2012, 01:25 AM
All from an estate sale on their last day...

1940's GE AM radio and turntable cabinet, a vintage Calrad 12" speaker, some unused Lumite brand grille clothe that appears to be from the 60's, a tabletop tube radio in horrible condition (I thought maybe the tubes might be salvageable)... all for $30 out the door!

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=362634&d=1342321673

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=362648&d=1342327999

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=362659&d=1342329668

Some info on the Calrad:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=album;id=3169

barfbaggs
07-15-2012, 08:24 PM
Good weekend here. Friday I snagged a pair of Magnepan MG-IIa's in super shape and no buzzing that I detect. Working perfectly, but I have not yet taken apart. Cost...$50.

Today I picked up a pair of AR-2ax's in near mint condition with original boxes for another $50.

About 2 weeks ago I picked up a Pioneer RT-707 in perfect working order and excellent cosmetics (zero faceplate scratches) for $45

EVBoy
07-15-2012, 09:30 PM
Those are nice finds.

gmann77
07-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Not the best find ever, but I snagged a nice pair of Marantz Imperial IV's for the grand total of $10 at GW. I plan to do an A/B comparison with the KLH 22's I currently use in my office system.

roberttx
07-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Saturday was dry*, as was most of today, but in the last thrift store that I visited (same place I got the Dual, last week) I snagged another B&O Beogram (this one a 2400) and an Akai EA-A2 EQ.

The cartridge on the B&O looks intact, though I won't know if it's good until I get my bench cleared enough to try it out, but it has a broken hinge and missing springs for the lid. The good news is, the hinge/spring arrangement appears identical to the 1700 (of which I have one with a broken hinge), so at the very least I'll get one fully functioning turntable out of the pair.

*Friday was another matter entirely - major scroe, but not at all audio related.

45rpm
07-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Found a pair of Infinity Reference Ones in near-mint condition for $30 at St. Vincent de Paul today. Unfortunately, I neither have room for more speakers nor $30 currently.

On the bright side, I was notified that I might get a job there in the near future. :)

Sam Cogley
07-16-2012, 09:20 PM
Helluva day today at the SA...
Boston Acoustics A150 Series II speakers, need foam on the woofers and probably new grille cloth.
Vector Research VRX-3500B receiver - perfect for a system I'm putting together as a late wedding present for a friend.
Sony STR-6036 receiver - cute little 1970-ish piece.
Volume 2 of an Atlantic Jazz sampler
A two-disc Kinks LP set, pressed in Portugal
Brown Florsheim loafers in excellent shape, heels look like new.
Brown Florsheim Imperial Chelsea ("Beatle") boots, heels look like new. Florsheim shoes are expensive enough, but the Imperial line is extremely pricey.

Trying out the Vector Research right now. Works perfectly. There isn't much information out there about the VRX-3500. There's even less about the 3500A, and absolutely zilch about the 3500B.

canuckaudiog
07-16-2012, 11:54 PM
Here is my absolute coolest find at goodwill to date. Got this awesome piece of decor for $15!

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/3783/dsc00764m.jpg

Daunia 70
07-17-2012, 02:35 PM
I found these Canon S-30's today in Cash Convertors (a S/H & pawn shop) managed to get them for 17 down from 19.99.The build quality is very impressive,quite heavy for their size as well.They need to be cleaned up a little though.
After a little research i've found that these were designed by Allen Boothroyd (of Meridian) for Canon UK.At a guess around the early 90's,think their RRP was around 270/300 at the time.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/captainharlock_1969/paulb002-9.jpg

reelwierd
07-17-2012, 04:30 PM
So yesterday I found an 8-track deck that was in really good shape with no burnt out lights or broken/missing parts. I naturally had to pick it up. It is a "symphonic" receiver with a cartridge player, quite aesthetically pleasing...

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=2266&pictureid=15823

gmann77
07-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Picked up this very reliable Realistic TR-800, a dozen 8-track tapes in a storage case and a cassette adapter for $8. I'm sure I don't *need* an 8-track deck, but I just couldn't resist...

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=1975&pictureid=15822

reelwierd
07-17-2012, 07:24 PM
cool! I also found Jefferson Starship, Three dog Night and Slayed on 8 track... All of which sound grea-- good for 8 track.

dobyman
07-19-2012, 02:13 PM
Went to an estate sale today. Seen a bunch of VCRs, BPC, etc. Then I look under a table and behind a box sits these Infinity SM 82's. In mint condition. $5/pr. :banana::banana::banana:
The grills are as mint as the rest!

http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww157/dobyman/infinitys.jpg

dobyman
07-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Picked up this very reliable Realistic TR-800, a dozen 8-track tapes in a storage case and a cassette adapter for $8. I'm sure I don't *need* an 8-track deck, but I just couldn't resist...

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=1975&pictureid=15822

I got its cousins, the TR-801 and 882. :thmbsp:

janikphoto
07-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Went to an estate sale today. Seen a bunch of VCRs, BPC, etc. Then I look under a table and behind a box sits these Infinity SM 82's. In mint condition. $5/pr. :banana::banana::banana:
The grills are as mint as the rest!

You can't beat a $5 pair of speakers! :thmbsp:

janikphoto
07-19-2012, 05:50 PM
Too many albums to list, so I'll just post a pick of the pile... there are about twenty albums, and half are still sealed! I got 15 discs at one estate sale for $2 each and the other 4 or 5 discs at another estate sale for $0.50 each!

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=363455&stc=1&d=1342734607

Alex Hayes
07-19-2012, 08:31 PM
I found a Pioneer SX-450 for $1.65 at my Salvation Army which blew me away since they normally price that kind of stuff at at least $5 or higher. (And I am not complaining about $5 prices, just shocked) It is a small amp which I plan to use in my dorm but I have heard good things about it so I'm excited to get it going. I tested it and both channels come through but one is scratchy. I'm going to start with a thorough cleaning inside and out. It is smoky and dusty and horrible so I think the cleaning should take care of most problems at the moment but we will see.

gary7
07-19-2012, 10:00 PM
I found a Pioneer SX-450 for $1.65 at my Salvation Army which blew me away since they normally price that kind of stuff at at least $5 or higher. (And I am not complaining about $5 prices, just shocked) It is a small amp which I plan to use in my dorm but I have heard good things about it so I'm excited to get it going. I tested it and both channels come through but one is scratchy. I'm going to start with a thorough cleaning inside and out. It is smoky and dusty and horrible so I think the cleaning should take care of most problems at the moment but we will see.

I picked up a SX-450 a few months ago at a thrift for $20. I normally would have passed on that, but any near decent amps or receivers are now so scarce, thought I better grab it.

thorenstd124
07-20-2012, 12:37 AM
Here is my absolute coolest find at goodwill to date. Got this awesome piece of decor for $15!

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/3783/dsc00764m.jpg
Looks to me like someone took an insert from one of those "greatest composers" Lp sets,and framed it

Speaking of which,I learned a few years ago,about the identity of the "World's Greatest Music" (http://www.arsc-audio.org/journals/v7/v07n1-2p33-55.pdf) 78s.

http://majesticrecord.com/_wizardimages/WorldsGreatestMusic.jpg

http://ia701200.us.archive.org/26/items/BeethovenSymphonyNo.5-Ormandy/Beethoven5thormandy-Label_thumb.jpg?cnt=0

http://i.ebayimg.com/18/!ByQSO7!CGk~$(KGrHqJ,!iQEw5Ife3huBMQ6F4(B,!~~_35.J PG

Here's (http://archive.org/details/BeethovenSymphonyNo.5-Ormandy) one of the Ormandys to listen to,that I found.If all you know of Ormandy is his tired,rote-like recordings of the 60s-80s,the energy and passion this 1938 recording will be a real revelation.Damn fine sounding records too.One of my favorite "Fifths" of all time,now.

Anyhoo,I never wanted to pay the eBay prices for these 78s.I found a pile of 78s in the bins over the last couple of weeks,including this very Beethoven,the Debussy,two different pressings of the Brandenbergs,and the Nutcracker.

Also found a French Telefunken 78,by Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt of the Overture to The Silken Ladder,a French Sems 78 of a Handel Organ Prelude,a Musicraft Scarlatti set by Sylvia Marlowe,the Bach C Major Concerto for Two Pianos by Artur and Karl Ulrich Schnabel,and an American Decca pressing of the Erich Kleiber Firebird.

I kid you not,when I say I have a subcollection of thousands of classical 78s.

thorenstd124
07-20-2012, 01:10 AM
This is probably ground that's been gone over many times, before I turned up, but here's my 2c.

On thrift stores, it depends on the store. Goodwill seems to have jumped the shark, asking ebay prices pretty much nationwide, from what I've seen. The SA varies - the one in our town is very good, but the one in the next town over charges higher prices for the same items than the antique store across the street. The ACB is pretty good round here, as are some of the smaller thrifts - it all depends.

You anywhere near San Antonio? The Goodwill there has a Clearance Center that's supposed to be bigger than the one I go to.

thorenstd124
07-20-2012, 01:27 AM

(If it is an original)

:jawdrop: is right.I have NEVER seen a genuine copy of A Factory Sample (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Factory_Sample).Here it is at popsike,com (http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=a+factory+sample+joy+di vision&x=0&y=0),and I collect Joy Division.

captaingamez
07-20-2012, 02:37 AM
Got these beauties for 16.00$ at GW. Sansui sp200, Even if you think their kabuki they are in mint condition, which is a feat itself for being from goodwill.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t21/captaingamez/37085dfd.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t21/captaingamez/a9db7e2b.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t21/captaingamez/74e0712b.jpg

captaingamez
07-20-2012, 02:43 AM
However this is my coolest find for $10
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t21/captaingamez/cfa1c515.jpg

DATrig13
07-20-2012, 01:30 PM

That is a awesome find super jealous.

wingzam
07-20-2012, 01:50 PM

That is SO cool it is sick!Have you done any research on that table?How rare are they?

Alienz
07-20-2012, 02:02 PM
That is a awesome find super jealous.

+1 :tresbon:

dobyman
07-20-2012, 02:03 PM

That is the coolest table I have ever seen. Would kill for that! :yes:
Is that a Teac 6300 sitting on the floor??

Saint Johnny
07-20-2012, 02:14 PM
:jawdrop: Wow! That Strat headstock table may be the coolest thing I've ever seen on AK. Where DID you find it?

janikphoto
07-20-2012, 02:29 PM
That table is totally worth $10 over and over again! Yes, as the others have asked already, please give us more details!

captaingamez
07-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Thanks!!, it's actually a designer table, some guy in I believe Oregon makes them, there's a hardwood version that costs more than 1000$, I have the screen printed mdf version which is around 300$, the guy also makes seats that look like amps and, have a storage compartment inside that opens when you turn a knob, very cool.
the teac is a 6100, not a 6300, great machine, and technically I got it for free, but had to spend some to get her workin, I thought It deserved savior from the landfill. it's a good machine when it's not being a little bi7€h, you can see the bottom corner of my 747 too lol

captaingamez
07-20-2012, 03:41 PM
The company is called Overkill design, but I think that fender actually makes them

roberttx
07-20-2012, 04:15 PM
I picked up a SX-450 a few months ago at a thrift for $20. I normally would have passed on that, but any near decent amps or receivers are now so scarce, thought I better grab it.

Keeping the theme going, I scored a Pioneer SX-636, yesterday. I've yet to test it, of course.

I also found a pair of nice looking mystery speakers - no maker's name, just a model #: 1h2433. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

You anywhere near San Antonio? The Goodwill there has a Clearance Center that's supposed to be bigger than the one I go to.

Other end of the state, unfortunately. Our nearest GW Clearance Center is Lubbock, but I get to go there very rarely, as its a few hundred miles.

Headhunter
07-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Ok, it's not on par with some of the finds posted in this thread, but as I did need a tape deck I'm pretty pleased. Fairly good condition, all lamps work, needs good cleaning, but I'd say $5 well spent. Behold, Akai GXC-730D.

janikphoto
07-21-2012, 01:25 AM
You can scream kabuki all night long, but I think it was $24 well spent. The Sansui SP-2000 pair was a little rough, but they will make for a fun project.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=363776&stc=1&d=1342848251

janikphoto
07-21-2012, 01:28 AM
Oh, and I also got a Technics SL-BD22 turntable that needs a belt for $20... I'm thinking that I'll just pick up a belt and then flip this thing on CL after I run a few records through it.

jonman
07-21-2012, 01:46 AM
I picked up a fully functioning Denon DRR-730 Cassette player recorder. It sounds better than the two Sony's I have. I paid $2.50 on a half-price sticker day yesterday.

janikphoto
07-21-2012, 02:00 AM
I picked up a fully functioning Denon DRR-730 Cassette player recorder. It sounds better than the two Sony's I have. I paid $2.50 on a half-price sticker day yesterday.

I've been happy with all my Denon gear so far. It doesn't surprise me that you found your new Denon piece to be a gem...
:thmbsp:

jonman
07-21-2012, 02:03 AM
[QUOTE=janikphoto;5893602]I've been happy with all my Denon gear so far. It doesn't surprise me that you found your new Denon piece to be a gem...
:thmbsp:[/QUOTE

I had a Denon CD player for a while that I loved and had to sell. I plan on putting a Denon outfit together as the pieces fall my way.

rogerrhoads
07-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Found this beauty a few days ago, Music City Thrift in Nashville. Was just about to walk out of the store and wrap it up as a day with no good finds. The second I saw it I couldn't walk away.

Telefunken Hymnus Hifi Stereo 5116 Wk

$140

Picking it up today. Seemed like whoever had it kept it in really good condition. Don't know if I'll need to recap it or not yet.

captaingamez
07-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Found this beauty a few days ago, Music City Thrift in Nashville. Was just about to walk out of the store and wrap it up as a day with no good finds. The second I saw it I couldn't walk away.

$140

Picking it up today. Seemed like whoever had it kept it in really good condition. Don't know if I'll need to recap it or not yet.

That's a nice console, I saw one last night that was so pretty I cried when I saw it was destroyed

captaingamez
07-21-2012, 12:45 PM
Here's my find of the day, $20 needs belts.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t21/captaingamez/719a6428.jpg

janikphoto
07-21-2012, 04:45 PM

$140

Wow! Classy, retro piece... now you can invite Desi and Lucy over for cocktails!

bd1886
07-21-2012, 05:26 PM
You can scream kabuki all night long, but I think it was $24 well spent. The Sansui SP-2000 pair was a little rough, but they will make for a fun project.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=363776&stc=1&d=1342848251

Sansui aren't "kabuki"....they're "too good" of a kabuki for that! They are quality sons a guns and in a different league.....some are special. Enjoy fixing those babies up!

janikphoto
07-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Sansui aren't "kabuki"....they're "too good" of a kabuki for that! They are quality sons a guns and in a different league.....some are special. Enjoy fixing those babies up!

Yeah, they'll be a fun project! I think people like to toss the kabuki term at them, because there are twelve speakers per pair! But, you are right. There seemed to be some actual engineering thought in the design and not just "toss as many speakers as will fit" mentality.

Sam Cogley
07-21-2012, 05:43 PM
There may be 12 speakers per pair, but the design appears to only be three-way. The Marantz Imperial 8 and 9 speakers, and the big Bozaks and Infinities had similar design philosophies with lots of drivers.

Cactus Bob
07-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Sweet! Those sold for $750 new. The matching Fender Blackface HotSeat would be cool too.

http://www.luxist.com/2009/02/18/the-fender-stratocaster-coffee-table/

These are cool too.

http://cdn.trendhunterstatic.com/phpthumbnails/12/12328/12328_4_600.jpeg

tartarctrl
07-22-2012, 11:38 AM
I picked up a pair of Infinity SM 112's for $10, only to come here and find out they're garbage. I guess they'll be going up on craigs. Maybe I can get a good trade.

Dandy
07-22-2012, 02:13 PM
I got a nice Thorens TD150 Mk 1 for 10 over the weekend (a lot of dirt and dust came with it FOC).

Felt sorry for the elderly seller so also agreed to buy his Aiwa tape deck for 20. It's worth fixing, but I'll have 'fun' removing and replacing all the melted belts.

In contrast the Thorens belt (same age or older) still works. The TD150 runs absolutely silently complete with original Shure M44-5 cart and stylus. Definitely a score for 30.

SwingModern
07-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Just picked up a Realistic APM 200 peak audio power meter for $8.

Noreaster
07-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Without even trying very hard I've gone from 3 turntables to 6 in the past month:

The first was a Scott PS-87A direct drive at a yard sale across the street from my house. Late 1970s, made in Japan, hefty base, with the HH Scott, Maynard, Mass. address..dirty but cleaned up well...$20.

A couple weeks later, I got a very nice condition Dual 1229 (1974+/-) in a trade for a set of Rectilinear speakers that I had bought for $20 (but were just not being used). I've wanted a 1229 for quite awhile & love it! After a little tinkering it's working at about 95%. It's my third Dual...I also have a 1019 and a 704.

Finally, yesterday, at a church rummage sale I found a Garrard Type A (1962+/-) for $10. I need it like a hole in the head, but it was in beautiful condition so I couldn't pass! It came with a wood base, thin plastic dustcover and the original owners manual.

janikphoto
07-23-2012, 12:06 AM
...Finally, yesterday, at a church rummage sale I found a Garrard Type A (1962+/-) for $10. I need it like a hole in the head, but it was in beautiful condition so I couldn't pass! It came with a wood base, thin plastic dustcover and the original owners manual.

That's cool. They do look pretty neat! Not much you can do with it, though. I'm playing 78's on mine.

dragonhead00
07-23-2012, 12:14 AM
Ok, it's not on par with some of the finds posted in this thread, but as I did need a tape deck I'm pretty pleased. Fairly good condition, all lamps work, needs good cleaning, but I'd say $5 well spent. Behold, Akai GXC-730D.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa69/dragonhead00/Misc/fc299c3e.jpg?t=1343017010

I love finding great deals on cassette decks. That's a good one!:thmbsp:

janikphoto
07-23-2012, 12:41 AM
I love finding great deals on cassette decks. That's a good one!:thmbsp:

I've seen a ton of vintage cassette decks around for cheap. Guess I should think about getting one sometime. I have a deck on my modern system, but not on my silver stuff.

t40killa
07-23-2012, 03:27 AM
Not much from the last few years except for these:

Yamaha CX-2 $10
Yamaha CX-630 & MX-630 - $125
Yamaha CX-600U $7.50
Magnavox CDB650 $5
Pinnacle PN8+ $25
Bose 301 IV - $10
Pioneer DSS-5 $10

Noreaster
07-23-2012, 09:12 AM
That's cool. They do look pretty neat! Not much you can do with it, though. I'm playing 78's on mine.

The cool factor is the main reason I bought it. However, I do have quite a few 10 inch 33 1/3s that I'll try out on it...

FloridaSam
07-23-2012, 07:53 PM
After a "Summer of none" the last few days have really started to pick up.

Teac A1200 RTR works perfectly $10.00
Akai Quad RTR works perfectly $10.00
A few guitar/music things from Goodwill: Boss ME-20B multi effects unit: $4.94, Yamaha DX-100 synth: $40.00 and a near mint Vox AC-100CPH 100 watt tube head for $125.00.

But yesterday I found my next project, an all original, never buggered with Acoustic Research ARAX turntable for $15.00 with the dust cover! Its in need of some TLC but its all there and will clean up very well.

canuckaudiog
07-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Went to a garage sale and got the following:

Wharfedale W70's (early model, 3-way with port and two caps and in AWESOME shape)
Wharfedale W60's (early model, 2-way with port and cabs need work, drivers work fine)
Yamaha MS-2, the turntable+receiver all in one unit with the Yamaha NS-430 speakers
Pioneer SX-770 with a non-working tuner, unit needs a clean-up but the faceplate + woodcase is literally mint
Hitachi D-410 in excellent working condition

Got this all for $250. :)

Cogsinister
07-23-2012, 09:40 PM
A friend of mine picked up a Pioneer SA 9500 at value village a couple of days ago, he also got the matching tuner ( TU 9500 ? ) both in the wood cases.

He told me the amp was dead, so i said bring it round, i found the power switch had been very crudely bypassed and he was lucky it did not blow up !!

I have neatly bypassed the switch so he can turn it on and off with a power bar for now.

Price each in near mint condition.....$6.99.

I don't have the tuner but its as mint as the amp..

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7257/7633897262_a88204fabd_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8001/7633898600_321a3ff006_b.jpg

What a superbly built amp.

wingzam
07-23-2012, 10:28 PM
A friend of mine picked up a Pioneer SA 9500 at value village a couple of days ago, he also got the matching tuner ( TU 9500 ? ) both in the wood cases.

He told me the amp was dead, so i said bring it round, i found the power switch had been very crudely bypassed and he was lucky it did not blow up !!

I have neatly bypassed the switch so he can turn it on and off with a power bar for now.

Price each in near mint condition.....$6.99.

I don't have the tuner but its as mint as the amp..

AAAHHK,the cluttered work bench!!AAAHHHH,the picture is sending me into a neat freak convulsion!!:yuck:

Cogsinister
07-23-2012, 10:36 PM
AAAHHK,the cluttered work bench!!AAAHHHH,the picture is sending me into a neat freak convulsion!!:yuck:

It's not normally that cluttered, but my 5 year old Grand daughter was at work there earlier in the day.

chicks
07-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Pioneer SA 9500 ... in near mint condition.....$6.99.

Nice!

Cogsinister
07-23-2012, 10:55 PM
Nice!

Here we go, untidy bench or not, with a bit of a polish and some lemon oil and beeswax she looks as pretty as a picture.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8146/7634391082_01e2290dc9_b.jpg

Saint Johnny
07-23-2012, 11:15 PM
and a near mint Vox AC-100CPH 100 watt tube head for $125.00.

More info please!:D
Nevermind-google is my friend. :twak:

wingzam
07-23-2012, 11:23 PM
It's not normally that cluttered, but my 5 year old Grand daughter was at work there earlier in the day.

A 5 year old grand daughter?Very dangerous creatures there..they can get away with nearly everything!

janikphoto
07-24-2012, 12:49 AM
There's been a real drought of vinyl at the big Dallas SA for the last couple weeks, but they finally put out more. I suspect that other shoppers might've picked up some great stuff earlier in the day, but these were still left when I got there at 6pm... dusty, but no scratches at all. Only $0.99 each:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=364420&stc=1&d=1343105195

Daunia 70
07-24-2012, 03:32 PM
I found these this afternoon.The two portable Sony Betamax machines,tuner/timer,AC power adaptor all work perfectly and are in near mint condition.The receiver is a Sony STR-2800L.
Altogether it cost me 30.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/captainharlock_1969/paulb006-7.jpg

riverrat
07-24-2012, 07:05 PM
Picked up a Technics SL-D202 turntable with Audio Technica AT155LC cartridge today. So far I have not found anything wrong with either. I think the cartridge was the real find here! Seems to be well regarded..

Cogsinister
07-24-2012, 07:08 PM
There's been a real drought of vinyl at the big Dallas SA for the last couple weeks, but they finally put out more. I suspect that other shoppers might've picked up some great stuff earlier in the day, but these were still left when I got there at 6pm... dusty, but no scratches at all. Only $0.99 each:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=364420&stc=1&d=1343105195

Tom Dolby Great stuff !

SwingModern
07-24-2012, 09:50 PM
Found The Many Sounds of Jazz Today, Who's Who in the Swinging Sixties. It's a compilation album with all the greats Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Sir Charles Thompson and more.

Puddintane
07-24-2012, 09:56 PM
and a near mint Vox AC-100CPH 100 watt tube head for $125.00.

Sick!

wingzam
07-24-2012, 10:00 PM
After a "Summer of none" the last few days have really started to pick up.

Teac A1200 RTR works perfectly $10.00
Akai Quad RTR works perfectly $10.00
A few guitar/music things from Goodwill: Boss ME-20B multi effects unit: $4.94, Yamaha DX-100 synth: $40.00 and a near mint Vox AC-100CPH 100 watt tube head for $125.00.

But yesterday I found my next project, an all original, never buggered with Acoustic Research ARAX turntable for $15.00 with the dust cover! Its in need of some TLC but its all there and will clean up very well.

Where's the picture of the Vox??Picture,picture,picture

canuckaudiog
07-24-2012, 11:18 PM
Check out what I just scored for $25!!

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4479/dsc00824da.jpg

Woohoo!

alex_c
07-25-2012, 05:48 AM
Today I picked up a Marantz cc 38 cd player that wouldn't read a disc for $10.00...took it home and took it apart and cleaned the laser - nothing. Re-seated some connectors, futzed around with the carousel, opening and closing and trying to force it to read by advancing the track quickly, I finally got it to spin and read a disc! Sounds like a CD player should.

Got a single EPI 100V for $10, tweeter was dead and as I was re-soldering the two leads to the driver, the iron slipped and popped a hole in the tweeter. Felt pretty retarded about that but when I plugged it in it sounded fine. The foam for the surround is brittle and has some damage too, but it's still a decent sounding little box.

Also got some Paradigm Micros for $25/pr

ADC Sound Shaper One (SS-1) for $4

Angstrom Radix 300 for $15 ...woofers completely dead. No sound out of either of them. Crossovers work fine so I am looking at a pair of Goldwood GW 8028's as replacements. I figure the cabinets, tweeters and crossovers should be worth a $50 pair of woofers.

Saw a original Volkswoofer for $40, but passed because it was cutting in and out and I don't really need it.

There are a lot of thrifts in my area, and on a good day I can hit around 6 of them in a few hours so I always manage to find something cool, even if it isn't audio gear. Still looking for the holy grail receiver or TT tho ;)

wingzam
07-25-2012, 07:32 AM
Today I picked up a Marantz cc 38 cd player that wouldn't read a disc for $10.00...took it home and took it apart and cleaned the laser - nothing. Re-seated some connectors, futzed around with the carousel, opening and closing and trying to force it to read by advancing the track quickly, I finally got it to spin and read a disc! Sounds like a CD player should.

Got a single EPI 100V for $10, tweeter was dead and as I was re-soldering the two leads to the driver, the iron slipped and popped a hole in the tweeter. Felt pretty retarded about that but when I plugged it in it sounded fine. The foam for the surround is brittle and has some damage too, but it's still a decent sounding little box.

Also got some Paradigm Micros for $25/pr

ADC Sound Shaper One (SS-1) for $4

Angstrom Radix 300 for $15 ...woofers completely dead. No sound out of either of them. Crossovers work fine so I am looking at a pair of Goldwood GW 8028's as replacements. I figure the cabinets, tweeters and crossovers should be worth a $50 pair of woofers.

Saw a original Volkswoofer for $40, but passed because it was cutting in and out and I don't really need it.

There are a lot of thrifts in my area, and on a good day I can hit around 6 of them in a few hours so I always manage to find something cool, even if it isn't audio gear. Still looking for the holy grail receiver or TT tho ;)

Welcome to the club Alex - and that's a good way to start off - making me jealous as hell!!:D

alex_c
07-25-2012, 03:41 PM
Thanks! My girlfriend was complaining about not having music anywhere in the house, so now she gets a system in every room :D

Dswankey
07-25-2012, 06:41 PM

Wham??

Headhunter
07-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Wham? No, Wham!

janikphoto
07-25-2012, 09:07 PM
Wham??

Wham? No, Wham!

Hey, even if I don't keep it, I know a few cute girls who would love to have it. Being a child of the late 70's and 80's, Wham can be a good gift to my female friends with turntables!

OK, so today was such a massive score that I had to give it a thread all its own:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=5908202#post5908202

Let me tell you that I am completely worn out after this haul... but, it was a lot of fun!

wingzam
07-26-2012, 01:16 AM
Saturday at the yard sales,this was found at the first place I stopped.

The Marantz AV9000 had an output problem,turned out to be a bad Main Out solder joint.Had to just about disassemble the whole thing to get to it!Manual and remote included.Turntable and 4 speakers,new in boxes,$30.

$40 for everything!

janikphoto
07-26-2012, 01:41 AM
Saturday at the yard sales,this was found at the first place I stopped.

The Marantz AV9000 had an output problem,turned out to be a bad Main Out solder joint.Had to just about disassemble the whole thing to get to it!Manual and remote included.Turntable and 4 speakers,new in boxes,$30.

$40 for everything!

CL that Ion turntable before it eats your family!!! :bat:

It's cool that you saved that Marantz, though. I don't know much about their newer stuff, but I do know they look pretty!

wingzam
07-26-2012, 02:01 AM
CL that Ion turntable before it eats your family!!! :bat:

It's cool that you saved that Marantz, though. I don't know much about their newer stuff, but I do know they look pretty!

I've heard this receiver before,real nice.Worth about $150+ on eBay.The remote is too complicated for me!Yeah,that Ion is nothing special,but who could turn it down for $10?

janikphoto
07-26-2012, 02:04 AM
I've heard this receiver before,real nice.Worth about $150+ on eBay.The remote is too complicated for me!Yeah,that Ion is nothing special,but who could turn it down for $10?

I wouldn't turn it down for $10, considering that you should be able to flip it on CL for $30 or $40... some hipster probably wants it to burn all the vinyl he buys at Urban Outfitters for $20-30 a disc...

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/search/search.jsp?searchPhrase=lp&listViewSize=&indexStart=0&sortBy=-variant_sort_price&sortOrder=ASC&categories=&categories2=&categories3=&categories4=&skucolor=&priceLow=&priceHigh=&skusize=&brand=&maxPrice=&minPrice=

Dandy
07-26-2012, 05:43 AM
Someone recently played me a CD that he had burned of a super rare record from such a turntable. It was truly painful to hear.

wingzam
07-26-2012, 07:27 AM
Someone recently played me a CD that he had burned of a super rare record from such a turntable. It was truly painful to hear.

:D Never said I was a fan of ION.I have one sitting on the shelf,which I picked up used and have not used it yet.Cheap plastic junk!

Dandy
07-26-2012, 12:15 PM
:D Never said I was a fan of ION.I have one sitting on the shelf,which I picked up used and have not used it yet.Cheap plastic junk!

No critique intended. I was actually really impressed by your fault finding on that nice Marantz. :thmbsp:

koseltri
07-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Check out what I just scored for $25!!

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4479/dsc00824da.jpg

Woohoo!

You bugger. I paid several times more for mine from a guy that probably paid less than you did for his out of the 'park-n-paw' (what I call the GW Bargain Center) bins. Great score.

wingzam
07-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Talk about tape decks - I've got these two Yamahas,the K-720 and the keeper K-1020.Needs belts.They are a few pieces left over from this incredible deal I got at an auction house in High Springs,FL.

I had heard about these stacks of stereo equipment that were going up for auction from a pawn shop in Gainesville.There were ten pieces I was really interested in.When the bidding started,no one wanted to bid more than 20 dollars to start on any piece so the auctioneer just said,"sell it all one money".

I got 60+ pieces for $640.Granted it wasn't all treasure,but I did pretty darn good on that buy and only a small number were inop.