View Full Version : Crap, need AR9/AR90 mid

kfa888
05-14-2006, 01:23 PM
So I finally get my AR90's done (surrounds) fire them up and they sound real good. I notice the imaging is off and mids on one does not sound as good as the other and start the ear to driver tests and find a dead mid dome. Crap. Take it off and find that the entire magnet and VC is GONE!!!! AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH Surprisingly they still sound pretty good.

I wonder how hard it is going to be to rind a replacement? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Oh, I bought these from the original owner whom I now know as Mr. liarface as he told me the only issue was the surrounds. I believed him as the speakers are in near new condition BUT as the magnet and VC is NOT in the cab and the gasket is folded (installed wrong) I know they had them apart, removed the magnet, and put them back together leaving signs that they did so. Falker.

bully
05-14-2006, 01:36 PM
The mid driver may show up on eBay.
Is AR still an option?
Sorry about the problem--will the seller help out?

kfa888
05-14-2006, 01:50 PM
Is AR still an option?

I thought they were still around but I can't find a web site for them. Anyone got a link?

hifi_nut
05-14-2006, 03:17 PM
Oddly enough the link I had is dead. Could be temporary, though.

http://www.acoustic-research.com/

Jorge

Toasted Almond
05-14-2006, 04:03 PM
I have a brand new, unused one. Feel like sending me a check for about $100 + shipping, made out to my favorite charity?

ARguy
05-14-2006, 09:39 PM
I thought they were still around but I can't find a web site for them. Anyone got a link?
AR is only around in name only...Your best bet for a replacement driver is going to be eBay I think. There is a guy on there that goes by the name of "vintage_ar" who might be able to help you out. Good luck with your search!

kfa888
05-14-2006, 09:44 PM
thanks for the help people. :thmbsp: I was sent this link...

http://www.abtechservices.com/pages/1/index.htm

They do not show a AR90 mid but I contacted them anyway. Anyone ever used them?

Kelly

ARguy
05-14-2006, 10:20 PM
thanks for the help people. :thmbsp: I was sent this link...

http://www.abtechservices.com/pages/1/index.htm

They do not show a AR90 mid but I contacted them anyway. Anyone ever used them?

Kelly
They are a new one to me. Based on what I saw and read I would step slowly with them. They look fairly new to the web and most of their replacement drivers are not NOS or rebuilds of originals so I would steer clear if it was me.

Toasted Almond
05-14-2006, 10:32 PM
They are quite reputable, and if they have a new replacement mid for you, it should be about the same price as the one I offered you which I bought new from Layne Audio.

But I doubt either Layne, ABTech, or anybody else for that matter is going to let you write a check to a fully accredited, tax exempt, school for handicapped children, and let you take a IRS deduction for the full purchase price.

Good luck with your affair.

kfa888
05-14-2006, 10:42 PM
They are quite reputable, and if they have a new replacement mid for you, it should be about the same price as the one I offered you which I bought new from Layne Audio.

But I doubt either Layne, ABTech, or anybody else for that matter is going to let you write a check to a fully accredited, tax exempt, school for handicapped children, and let you take a IRS deduction for the full purchase price.

TA, I am still very much considering your offer and it is much appreciated. Just doing a little research. I know your price is not out of line but still hard to swallow when it is over half as much as the set of speakers coat me themselves. Looking at it I knew it would not be cheap.

Thanks.

Toasted Almond
05-14-2006, 10:45 PM

Danamc
05-14-2006, 10:55 PM
AB Tech Services is the national warranty service company for Acoustic Research. I've had a few dealings with them. They are located in Hopedale Massachusetts and is run by ex-AR employees from the old days. :thmbsp: I visited their shop a few times and found them totally professional with a passion for the good old days. :D

There are no NOS AR drivers available anymore unless you locate an unused pair of AR speakers. :no: The treble driver they installed in my AR3A, and all other drivers they use presently are manufactured in the far east to AR/California specs. To my ears there is no difference between the AR3A speaker with the original tweeter and the speaker with the replacement tweeter. They also installed a couple of used mid-high drivers in my AR9s that I was fortunate enough to get from Bolly, and swept the other drivers with a tone generator to make sure they were within spec. :music:

The original drivers from the early days were manufactured by AR and AR/Teledyne in Cambridge and Norwood, Mass. That was decades ago. The new manufacturer builds the new drivers to match the characteristics of the old drivers. My experience with AB Tech has been positive and I would expect anyone else using their services to receive the same treatment. Good luck!

kfa888
05-14-2006, 10:55 PM

Guess I'm not understanding your comment, are you revoking your offer? Did I say something to upset you? :scratch2:

Toasted Almond
05-15-2006, 06:08 AM
No I'm not, no you didn't. I understand you'd like to try and find one for less money.

packrat
05-15-2006, 03:59 PM

I think what he's saying is, his will cost you about $75 to $80 if you do your taxes, and the money goes to a good cause. Buying on ebay will cost about the same, and the $$ goes to some scum who parts out perfectly good speakers for fun and $$$$. (I'd send TA a check. :thmbsp: )

kfa888
05-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Yeah, got it. :yes:

Toasted Almond
05-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Son-of-a-gun! Is that what I said? Packrat, you have a way with words and great power of translation.

Any future transactions I conduct will be handled in this manner. A check to MY favorite charity. Check gets mailed to my location.

ojom
05-15-2006, 07:02 PM
Some of these just came on ebay may still be up. Oh wait, they are in England.