View Full Version : Bozak B302a Moorish cabinets

Normo
05-15-2006, 09:27 PM
I can get a pair of these but wonder what would be a good receiver to drive them. I have a repaired pioneer sx-850, a MAC 1500 (needs some work) and a fisher 500c(needs some work) Any suggestions on which would be best for the bozaks, and can anyone tell me about them. 4 or 8 ohm, how much power they can tolerate? Thanks for any and all rec's. Norm

WhiteSE
05-15-2006, 09:37 PM
i would say the Fisher.

tentoze
05-15-2006, 10:12 PM
I'm far from the Bozak expert here, but I'll offer what I know (or think I know).

As far as I recall, there were no 4 ohm 302A's. They were either 8 or 16 ohm. A look at the rear of the drivers will normally identify which is which.

As far as driving them, there's a lot of discussion on that as well- some say they shine with tubes, some say SS. I've run my 302A's with both, and was never disappointed- a 12 wpc HK pp tube receiver made them sound wonderful, but so did a 130 wpc Carver Receiver.

They are remarkable speakers, IMO.

kfa888
05-15-2006, 10:16 PM
I would guess the well regarded Fisher 500C would sound great with Bozaks.

cubdog
05-15-2006, 10:23 PM
The best receiver? One of mine.

cubdog

Toasted Almond
05-16-2006, 05:15 AM
I had occasion to contact the folks at N.E.A.R. around 1990 regarding parts and other things for 302A's. It was the consensus that they could handle 100wpc, and had "usable" low end response to 28 cycles.

joenielsen
05-16-2006, 08:20 AM
Either the Fisher or MAC1500 would likely sound great with the Bozaks. I wouldn't go with the Pioneer -- I have tried a couple of Pioneer receivers with my 302As and it never sounded great.

The 302As can take a lot of power, and sometimes that extra power will allow them to open up and sound really great. On the other hand, the are pretty efficient so a 20-30 wpc tube amp will also power them without a problem.

M Jarve
05-16-2006, 08:20 AM
I've driven my 302A's with a 105WPC Mitsubishi amp, a Marantz 2230, and a Nakamichi SR-4A. They performed more than decently with any of them. That is, indeed, part of their magic. Had I though about it at the time, I would have asked Ron to connect the set I bought from him to his tube rig to hear how they would sound with that- I've no doubt that such a set up would have brought the sound from velvety smooth to silky smooth.

GordonW
05-16-2006, 04:37 PM
From having worked on a pair recently, I can concur, they look like they should be able to handle 100w/ch, as long as it's applied thoughtfully. The woofers have good-for-the-era excursion capacity (the voice coils are decently long winding lengths), and the other drivers and the crossovers are pretty stout. Wouldn't handle 100w/ch driven hard on techno or hip-hop, but occasional forays into the Ted Nugent realm shouldn't hurt them... :D

Regards,
Gordon.

Brian
05-16-2006, 06:28 PM
The 302a is an 8 ohm speaker and depending on which year literature you read rms power range is either 10 or 20 watts to 100 watts. This is 1 speaker where the 1st watt is what makes the difference. That golden watt is the difference between them sounding good and sounding GOOOODD. They were not designed to hit high spl, think of them as speakers for the apartment set who want to listen to a gigh quality system while hosting a dinner party or listening at levels that will not intrude on the next door occupants. The key is to not let these speakers get near a clipped wave. Rememver they were designed and built before hogh powered amps and ferrofluid. They were built in the days when 15 watts was easily the average and 28 - 36 watts was high power and 50 - 75 watts was wow power. A good 5bq5 based amp such as the Dyna SCA 35 really does well. I've not had a 1500 on them but have had a 1700 and it was a winner combo. The 500-C while not a favorite of mine was decent on them but did not bring out their best. A MC225 was really good and since the 1500 used a modified 225 amp, I suspect it may have the better amp. As for the Pioneer well, it is not my cup of tea on any speaker preferring the early Sony and Philips Lab Series on them for all SS receivers.