View Full Version : Lahti speakers? made in Ann Arbor

doucanoe
05-19-2006, 06:20 PM
My wife called to let me know that she found a pair of Lahti badged speakers at a estate sale this afternoon. They are a small walnut veneered bookshelf and pretty heavy. The grill material is screaming 60's but there is not much else to go on other than the fact that they were made in Ann Arbor, Michigan I presume.

They were used in this guys in home recording studio. My wife told me that there was nothing else audio left there besides boxes of reel to reel tapes that were not for sale. Make you kinda wonder what might of been there yesterday or the day before? :scratch2:

We have enough Michagan guy's here. Someone must of heard of Lahti before?

RC

bolly
05-19-2006, 06:24 PM
sorry ron, not listed in the blue book, or the defunct audio maufacturers site. :(

http://www.audiotools.com/dead.html

doucanoe
05-19-2006, 06:35 PM
Thanks for checking Greg. They seem well built and by touch appear to have a single driver with a port, or a woofer and a tweeter.

If Lahti dissapeared into audio oblivion which Im sure they did, they at least put together a well built box while they were around. I will let you know how they sound and post a pic or two.

RC

bolly
05-19-2006, 06:36 PM
cool! :thmbsp:

twist72
05-19-2006, 11:12 PM
Is it possible they were made by "Voice of Music" which I believe was based in Ann Arbor. VM made alot of stuff for other companies.

Todd

doucanoe
05-20-2006, 04:42 AM
Thanks Todd, I will check into that. I can't find a thing in a Google search regarding Lahti.

RC

Squidward
05-20-2006, 08:32 AM
Is it possible they were made by "Voice of Music" which I believe was based in Ann Arbor. VM made alot of stuff for other companies.

Todd

I think VM was in Benton Harbor, MI.

twist72
05-20-2006, 10:29 AM

Yeah, your right. Just remembered this morning.

tomtarr
02-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Uolevi Lahti made the Lahti speakers in Ann Arbor in his retail store from the fiftys to 1979 then he moved to La Belle Fl and mainly made industrial speakers up until about 1990.He was mainley a one man operation The main thing about his speakers was he had a front loaded offset venturie for his woofers which made the bass real tight [not boomie at all] and the woofer had a mechanical crossover the high frequencies in the woofer canceled each other out. He made 3 different sizes of home speakers.One size of pro speaker called the crusher[for rock bands]and a industrial speaker for buildings which was mounted in a ball. To see his patents just Google Uolevi Lahti

wiredbecker
02-07-2008, 10:19 PM

As was Heathkit if I remember correctly. What do they put in the water there? Michigan is the home of so many musical greats.

doucanoe
02-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Uolevi Lahti made the Lahti speakers in Ann Arbor in his retail store from the fiftys to 1979 then he moved to La Belle Fl and mainly made industrial speakers up until about 1990.He was mainley a one man operation The main thing about his speakers was he had a front loaded offset venturie for his woofers which made the bass real tight [not boomie at all] and the woofer had a mechanical crossover the high frequencies in the woofer canceled each other out. He made 3 different sizes of home speakers.One size of pro speaker called the crusher[for rock bands]and a industrial speaker for buildings which was mounted in a ball. To see his patents just Google Uolevi Lahti

Ahha, finally some answers!

Thanks tomtarr,

I still have them by the way

RC

mrz80
04-18-2008, 10:10 AM
Which model are they? Should be stamped on the back somewhere.

doucanoe
04-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Which model are they? Should be stamped on the back somewhere.

I will have to dig them out. I don't recall them saying anything on the back actually but I will look this weekend

RC

MaxSeven
04-18-2008, 09:58 PM
Schuuuuuultzzzzzzzz!

doucanoe
04-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Schuuuuuultzzzzzzzz!

I loved that guy :D

RC

MaxSeven
04-18-2008, 10:10 PM
I know nothing! Nothing!

:thmbsp:

cableguy
04-18-2008, 10:42 PM
:lurk:

doucanoe
04-18-2008, 11:00 PM
:lurk:

Hungry?

RC

EVBoy
04-19-2008, 10:57 AM
Wow, your wife looks for speakers for you?!. Does she have a sister? You are a lucky guy.

doucanoe
04-19-2008, 11:07 AM
Wow, your wife looks for speakers for you?!. Does she have a sister? You are a lucky guy.

Ha!
Most of the time she will call and say

"It says Thruster on them. Thats sounds a little sexual. Not sure if those are any good or not?" :D

She has sisters but unfortunatly they are all spoken for.

I looked this morning and I can't find the darn things. For those of you that have seen my basement, that will not come as a surprise to you.

RC

ResoNut
08-03-2008, 12:53 PM
I have a pair of the small bookshelf Lahti Speakers, I bought on eBay over a dozen years ago. Back when eBay was cool and you could get decent deals. They do have that 60's vibe!
I cant remember what I paid, but it was cheap!

Stamped on the back of one of my Speakers...
Lahti
of Ann Arbor
U-2
Pat. Pend.
Made in the USA
AW4050

The other speaker is stamped the same but with a different AW number.
They sound pretty decent in my newly refinished basement den.

PS- I wonder if the actress Christine Lahti from Birmingham, Michigan who was on the TV show Chicago Hope was related??

andy
08-24-2008, 11:34 PM
I thought I was the only one with a pair of these! I also have one orphan that I'll probably keep forever waiting for a mate. They don't sound bad for what they are, and the cabinets are solid. I just wish there was a way to get inside them.

These are the model I have, but the picture isn't mine.

Sir.Byrd
08-24-2008, 11:50 PM
I thought I was the only one with a pair of these! I also have one orphan that I'll probably keep forever waiting for a mate. They don't sound bad for what they are, and the cabinets are solid. I just wish there was a way to get inside them.

These are the model I have, but the picture isn't mine.

Those look really similar to Realistic Solo-1s!!!

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h175/TigerSword/IMG_0745.jpg

doucanoe
08-24-2008, 11:51 PM
Those are the ones!I just came across them again this weekend azs a matter of fact during Saturdays Great basement clean-out and BBQ.

RC

andy
08-25-2008, 12:17 AM
They look similar, but the Lahti's are two ways. Aren't all the solo's single driver speakers?

Sir.Byrd
08-25-2008, 12:18 AM
They look similar, but the Lahti's are two ways. Aren't all the solo's single driver speakers?

As the name suggests...

lousy single drivers at that, literally labeled "woofer" on the back, maybe I'll make it a two way project sometime. Really nice walnut cabinets though.
But I wouldn't pay money for them, I got them for free in the original boxes.

DxRx
03-01-2014, 01:02 PM
Just came across this thread. I stopped in to Mr. Lahti's shop/business one day in maybe 69-70. He was most hospitable. He was building a bunch of 2 way speaker/monitors, because his speakers were being used as studio monitors by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. He was quite proud of that fact. There are a pair of U2's listed on Shopgoodwill if anyone is interested. Mr. Lahti's nephew lives near here. I think I've asked him whether he was related to Christine Lahti, and I don't think it's close family, if they are related at all. Christine was going to U of M at the same time that Uolevi's speaker shop was at the end of Main Street in Ann Arbor.

When I was in Mr. Lahti's shop, he took out these little monitors, hooked em up to a McIntosh amp and cranked up this incredible album to demo his speakers. First time I ever heard the Abraxas album.