View Full Version : Sony FH-7 mk2

devoid
05-27-2006, 11:42 PM
Picked this up at a flee market today. Saw the Sony APM speakers and thought I could flip it to those boom box collectors for a nice profit. I paid the guy the ten bucks and picked it up. That's when I realized this is no boom box. Plugged it in to see what it's merit was and OMFG! This ain't no boom box! This is a serious Sony mini system from the eighties. AC power only. All the components come apart including the power supply. Listening to some NPR jazz right now and the sound is so open, plenty of air, good warm low end with real bass and the mids are right there. I'd even dare to say there is a planer quality to it.

Brad Muller
05-28-2006, 01:26 AM
Nice find!!! I picked up the same unit for $20.00 last year at a flea market. It's a monster for sure! The damn thing weighs about 40 lbs. It wasn't a cheap unit. Mine has some tape player issues. You're in luck if the cassette funtions properly. Still, the inputs allow you to hook up any external source, so the cassette is no big deal. The made an optional battery pack that's rechargeable. It swaps out with the AC power supply. They are pretty rare, but they do exist. You scored big! Congrats, Brad :yes:

markdi
05-28-2006, 01:31 AM
I have a system kinda like that one
mine has

3 way honey comb speakers

5 band graphic eq with spectrum analizer

digital am fm sw tuner.

dual auto reverse cassette deck with dolby b and c
programmable blank search music search system.
quick reverse system
cassette deck is 1 cassette case high by 2 wide

speakers and amp have amfb control

active motion feedback - motion sensor in woofer.

whole thing seems smaller than yours

mine quit working - power suply issues.

one of these days I will fix it

very small - great sound

30 w rms per channel

very high build quality

I packed it to many parties

ddino77
05-03-2008, 03:36 AM
The Sony FH-7MK2 mini rig was my music companion during long college nights burning the midnight oil when I left the old folks homestead. It was my third system paid for with my own meager coin, however it was no 'el-cheapo' Juilliette/Soundesign junk by any means. I did some careful homework trying to find separates that would travel easliy but give me that classic hifi sound at a starving students wage. I purchased it new while working at the local Stereo emporium in 85 and it stayed with me till 92 when the cassette unit finaly quit working. The darn thing even had a phono preamp though it never was used. I then added a Technics SLP-300 portable CD player to the AUX input and jammed on for another few years! Unfortunatly on a paticularly stormy night a lightning surge took out the amp section and so I decided to let the beast rest for good. However, I did keep those wornderful APM satellites, using them as surrond speakers for a home theater years later! Talk about getting your monies worth! Ahhh those were the days!!!!

Stoffie
05-03-2008, 06:28 AM
Interesting little bugger that I have not noticed before. Amazing sometimes how good little systems like that can sound. Enjoy it!

maruchan
04-26-2009, 01:19 AM
I just gone one of these little systems, really cute, but powerful!!! i picked it up for around 6 bucks, with out the speakers. Should i go back and get them? the tape doesn't work on mine.. also is the lcd supposed to light up?

devoid
04-26-2009, 01:56 AM
Get them. I forget what they're called but there the flat panel drivers from Sony. Really good mids for a boombox. Kinda sorry I liquidated mine but I got bigger tastier fish to fry.

devoid
04-26-2009, 01:58 AM
Oh yeah, I should just read my original post.

blueneon
08-13-2009, 04:35 AM
I just got one of these too, $8 at Goodwill. Surprisingly nice sound! The cassette deck doesn't run (belts, probably) and the fascia around its buttons is lost, but the tuner / line in work great. Those speakers are something else. The surrounds are cloth, not foam, so they just last!

They work a bit like those aluminum cone drivers Harman-Kardon made for Apple, but with no foam.

The aforementioned H-K drivers are hilarious. If the foam goes bad on the ones that are fitted to slotload iMac G3 computers, the entire aluminum cone will be ejected and fall right out against the speaker grill.

Anyway, back on topic, anyone know how to get the grilles off? Mine is dented a bit on the left, and I'd like to pop the dent out.

PacificStereo
08-13-2009, 12:33 PM
These are outstanding little systems. Good find!

oldvinyldude
01-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Just picked one up last night at a thrift. I had a hunch it was good, based on the heft.

I was able to plug it in and test the tuner/amp/speakers. It was impressive sounding. I do not know about the cassette status. The spindles moved during ff/rew, so who knows. At the very least, it will allow a cassette adaptor to be used with it, for another source, such as a CD player or iPod. Someone else suggested it had an aux input, but all I can see is the phono input.

Now I will be on the hunt for the companion turntable PS-Q7 with an existing VL-43G cart. I have found a replacement stylus source for this proprietary cartridge, so having the cart body is key.

I also will keep an eye out for the uber rare EPB-78 battery pack, to have it rebuilt.

The volume slider is very scratchy. Does anyone know if this slider is cleanable with some Deoxit (is the slider case sealed?)

Cruzah
01-17-2013, 03:08 PM
I had found a Sony HST-231 component stereo at the salvation army store about a year ago.
AM/FM/DUEL CASSETTE DECK/CD CHANGER/SPEAKERS
It didn't have the CD disk changer or speakers...but it did have the remote.
It was only $15 bucks so I said what the heck.
I came home and Hooked it to some Panasonic Thrusters.
Wha...this thing is bumping pretty freaking loud I thought to Myself.
I couldn't turn it past 7 without speaker rattle...My Thrusters couldn't seem to handle it.
Hmmm...I'd better google up the sony website and download a service manual for it.
Sure it was a simple 2 channel...BUT...ITS 100 WATTS PER CHANNEL.
Oh Man...Its My bedroom stereo now and its hooked to My 26 TV inch monitor with my DVD player.
It can also hook into My Laptop and My Casio Midi Keyboard for jamming.
So right now I've got it hooked up to 4 Sony 150w Three-Way Floor-Standing Speakers...I bought off a buddy at the pawn shop for 100 bucks.
Now...Back to the Lab.