View Full Version : Realistic Nova 10s -

Cleve
06-12-2006, 01:17 AM
I now have a very large heated shop which I am welcome to use to perform mechanical projects in - large or small. Well, the shop owner's sister in law was moving, and throwing out a pair of Realistic Nova 10 speakers - I had owned some "Optimus" speakers about 20 years ago, and knew that Realistic made a few fine speakers. Picking them up, and feeling the heft, I thought they'd be perfect "garage" speakers. The honeycomb grills were intact - and the cabinets were in good shape too.

My Sansui 5000x has been collecting dust lately - so I decided to take it to the shop and hook up the Nova 10s. Wow, even in a cavernous shop, with metal walls, they sounded very good - no prodigious bass, but decently musical. FM sounded surprisingly good - I had planned to pick up a cd player at a thrift this week and set up a nice little system to work by.

That was last week. Well, I had cautioned the owner's son that the Sansui is a powerful receiver - and not to push it too hard (the Novas were only rated for 50 watts music). Today, I noticed the rattling distortion of a blown voice coil in one of the woofers - So much for that system. sigh!!!!

Any ideas on where I could get a replacement woofer? This last week has been a disaster, audio-wise, first the on-going Mc2002 fiasco, and now this.

Cleve
06-13-2006, 03:02 PM
bump.

jeffn
10-07-2006, 07:23 PM
I now have a very large heated shop which I am welcome to use to perform mechanical projects in - large or small. Well, the shop owner's sister in law was moving, and throwing out a pair of Realistic Nova 10 speakers - I had owned some "Optimus" speakers about 20 years ago, and knew that Realistic made a few fine speakers. Picking them up, and feeling the heft, I thought they'd be perfect "garage" speakers. The honeycomb grills were intact - and the cabinets were in good shape too.

My Sansui 5000x has been collecting dust lately - so I decided to take it to the shop and hook up the Nova 10s. Wow, even in a cavernous shop, with metal walls, they sounded very good - no prodigious bass, but decently musical. FM sounded surprisingly good - I had planned to pick up a cd player at a thrift this week and set up a nice little system to work by.

That was last week. Well, I had cautioned the owner's son that the Sansui is a powerful receiver - and not to push it too hard (the Novas were only rated for 50 watts music). Today, I noticed the rattling distortion of a blown voice coil in one of the woofers - So much for that system. sigh!!!!

Any ideas on where I could get a replacement woofer? This last week has been a disaster, audio-wise, first the on-going Mc2002 fiasco, and now this.

This post is going back a while now, but the Nova 10's often get a bad connection in the wire between the voice-coil and where the wire connects to the speaker spade connections. I had the very same problem and melted some solder over the suspect area and voila! Been perfect for months.

-Jeff

BruceRPA
10-07-2006, 07:39 PM
Excellent point jeffn! I have been able to get some of the old Radio Shack speakers to work fine again by doing exactly what you mentioned. The spider wire looks like it is fine but it fails from fatigue just enough to cause it to stop conducting when the cone is in just the right position. A light weight alligator clip test lead connected to the terminal and to the spider wire close to the cone should be enough for you to determine if the spider wire is the trouble. That spider wire can be tricky to solder but it can be done.

You might want to try what jeffn did Cleve. You just might get lucky. If not, MCM or Parts Express will have something close for you to replace the woofers with. The Nova 10s are pretty good speakers, all things considered.

Good luck.

devoid
10-07-2006, 08:17 PM
You can also transplant from a dead driver.

KingBubba
10-07-2006, 08:49 PM
If I am correct, I believe that the Sansui model 5000 had an output control on the back which could be used to limit the output for just the situation you described. Look for the recessed screw on the back. There is probably two, the other for FM sensitivity. I apologize if I am preaching to the choir here :D

geaugafletcher
10-08-2006, 02:04 AM
I just bought a pair of these for $8 from a pawn shop. One cabinet is missing the woofer... Anybody have specs for these woofers? Otherwise, I'm thinking of making a new front baffle and turning them into some kind of EPIs.

Cleve
10-16-2006, 07:11 PM
I forgot to post an update - I dunno what happened, but the rattling sound stopped about 4 months ago, and now the speaker is fine. Sorry for much ado about nothing.