View Full Version : realistic minimus 12

shrinkboy
06-15-2003, 05:09 PM
kin ya hep me, speaker godz?

a long time ago, like 20 years ago, i picked up a pair of realistic minimus 12's. you all prolly know what they are, a bookshelf type speak, two way, looks like a 4 1/2 woofer (50hz-10 Khz) and a tweeter.

i blew out the soft rubber surround on one of who knows when, and without realizing that you could simply replace the surround, i pulled the whole driver bucket and all and threw it away. (don't ask, okay, i was ignorant)

now, i wanna make em go again. i don't know why, i just do. the problem is i can't find a replacement woof. i have looked at the radio shack website, searched its parts catalog, looked through parts express and find em that are close, but....

kin ya hep me

shrinkboy

Thatch_Ear
06-15-2003, 11:34 PM
SOL

Rob
06-15-2003, 11:41 PM
shrinkboy,

You might be in luck. When Kama and I went to his local Salvation Army on Saturday I looked at a bookshelf speaker that was a radio shaft model with a name like Minimus or something followed by a number, possibly the one you are after! I think there was the pair there. Perhaps you could ask Tim to look for them for you the next time he goes there.

Rob

dgwojo
06-16-2003, 06:41 AM
If it measures 4" across, and 5" diagonally, then you might see if your local Radio Shack has 4" speaker number 40-1197, that was the driver used in the Solo-103 from the 70's under the Allied name. I have one sitting in the box that might be blown, it has a white cone if you want pics tonight, I can post them after work. Get the exact measurements and post a pic if you can, that might help! :)
http://support.radioshack.com/support_audio/doc34/34291.htm
http://support.radioshack.com/support_audio/doc54/54848.htm

shrinkboy
06-16-2003, 08:45 AM
thanx guys--

the actual measurements are these:

Woofer 1251 8 ohms
50hz-10Khz

diagonal from outer edge of metal frame: 6"

vert/horizontal metal frame 5" x 5"

cone diameter, not including rubber surround 31/2"

diameter of entire assembly including cone, surround, and frame ring seating into metal basket 45/8"

thanx again, everybody

Markw
06-16-2003, 09:50 AM
I know there are some out there. I worked for a few in my time. They can call a special number and get replacment parts for a lot of their old stuff. Just give them the catalog number.

Thatch_Ear
06-16-2003, 03:20 PM
It could be that there might be a driver made for RS that would fit and work but owning some Minimus 7s I looked for the 4" drivers that go in them and as far as I know the only way to get them is from another Minimus 7. I have a pair of the 40-1197s and while close they are not the same driver. I have Minimus 7s hanging under the back window in my xtended cab PU and have another pair on the way from Nuke-Microsoft so that I can pull the 40-1197s out the dash and replace them with the 4"ers out of the Minimus 7s.
That is why I posted SOL. Unless Jim can find another Minimus 12 he might not be able to get an exact match. I like the Minimus 7s and believe the drivers were made specific for the speaker, as might be the case with the 12s.

shrinkboy
06-16-2003, 04:41 PM
thanx thatch--

i have a pair of the minimus sevens too. and have always been impressed with how they do their job. i've had these minimus 12's around for years, but never knew how relatively rare they are. i have been searching ebay for two months, and have not seen the driver i am looking for. you see the 7's all the time, but never the 12's. i even saw some 11's the other day. maybe i'll write that guy and get him to look at the drivers for me.

and i do know that the driver i want is going to have to be radio shack specific.

i simply want to put these guys back in order and then figure out what i'll do with them.

thanks man