View Full Version : Marantz 2235 receiver with a tube amp.

Bill W.
06-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Hope this is the right forum for this question. My current modest system is based around the 2235 SS receiver and Polk 10-B monitor speakers. Anyway, I would like to use a basic tube amp instead of the receiver's SS one. The receiver has preamp outputs, so no problem there. I'm wondering how the tube amp would sound with this particular (Marantz "sound") preamp. Anybody with experience here? Also, the receiver doesn't use pre/main jumpers. Will that amp be okay with no input load on it?

Next question obviously is, what amp? The Dynaco ST-35 comes to mind, but is beyond my meager budget (including re-furbishing costs) at this time. Anybody have suggestions for an inexpensive ($200 or so) amp. I don't need great power, but .....

Bill

gearhead
06-23-2006, 10:27 PM
Have you thought about trying a tube pre with your Marantz?
I tried a Foreplay with a Marantz 2330B running a pair of Marantz HD 770 speakers. My Pioneer PD-65 CDP sounded very "tubular" with this setup. :music:

Kegger
06-23-2006, 11:04 PM
Unfortunatly Bill $200 tube amps that don't NEED rebuilding are few and far between.

Not trying to discourage you but there just not that inexpensive for ones that are all
ready to go for years of trouble free service and sound good.

You might be able to pick up a unit that hasn't been rebuilt (if it's vintage) for oh $150
or so then spend $200-$300 on rebuilds/tubes. Or in the ballpark of $300-$400 for used
newer gear off audiogon or whatnot.

That's definatly one area solid state has the upper hand on is good quality reliable amps
that can cost $200 or less that are very nice solid units.

Bill W.
06-24-2006, 04:19 PM
Yeah, I was araid of the low price I mentioned. I could actually go a bit higher. I was hoping to pick up a tube amp at a garage or rummage sale on the cheap. Then the cost of restoration would fit in nicely. I actually may have a line on a Sherwood S-7700 tube receiver. VERY clean unit. It's in the shop now getting some work done on it. I most likely could get it for somewhere in the neighborhood of $300-350. except it's un-restored, (Still has all it's original tubes) just repaired, whatever that entails.

So would a tube pre-amp with a SS amp actually give me that warm tube sound? Never thought of trying that one. Maybe the SS amp isn't so bad for now..... Thanx again.
Bill

Tonedeaf
06-24-2006, 04:38 PM
I am using a 2235 pre-out to a Marantz 8B tube amp. It sounds great. Very warm. I have not tried a tube pre with the 2235's amp so I can't comment on any differences. I would like a find a tube preamp for the 8B though. I have been considering the Foreplay, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Too happy with the current set I guess!

gearhead
06-24-2006, 08:33 PM
FWIW-I bought a used Foreplay for less than $200. Not much less, but a little.