View Full Version : Dynaco A-25 vs. Large Advents, any thoughts?

burnsyaz
06-30-2006, 01:46 AM
I was wondering if anyone has ever compared Dynaco A-25's to the Large Advent Speakers (the ones from the early 70's with 10's and the rounded edges on the cabinets). I am going to pick up a set of The Advents from my local thrift store this week and try to re-foam (first time doing so) the drivers for a fun little project. A-25's are what I will be using eventually, so I thought these Advents might hold me over until I get my A-25's. I am using an all tube vintage Dynaco system if that makes any difference. Anyone?

jpdylon
06-30-2006, 01:57 AM
man that's a toughie. The advents will have better bottom end, but sonically the A25s are probably more accurate. Advents are nice speakers, but they tend to be too forward and fatguing over long periods of time IMHO. I would definitely re-cap the A25s as soon as you get them. The sound from these little boxes can be jaw-dropping when they're up to spec.

ejfud
06-30-2006, 06:32 AM
I vote for the A-25s. Jordan nailed my thoughts as well.

Gary

Tom Brennan
06-30-2006, 07:16 AM
IMO&E the Advents have better bass and play louder but the Dynacos have better clarity.

Clarity, remember when people wanted clarity in a speaker? ;-)

Celt
06-30-2006, 07:55 AM
The Advent fried-egg tweets have a spikey response, partly as a result of the wire cage they glued in front of them. Top end of the Dynacos will be more pleasing, but as Tom noted, the Advents do bass very well.

Fast_Eddie
06-30-2006, 08:22 AM
I've done this test as an a/b. I agree with what everyone here said. The win goes to the Dynacos, but the Advent bass is very nice.

drspiff
06-30-2006, 08:22 AM
Having owned and listened to both, the Dynacos do not have the bass that the Advents have. But I can listen to the Dynacos for hours. With the Advents, I kept getting up to mess with the system. I now recognize that as a symptom of listening fatigue.

Dynacos all the way.

cubdog
06-30-2006, 09:00 AM
Dynaco, no contest.

cubdog

GordonW
06-30-2006, 09:49 AM
Bi-amp, and use the Large Advents as subwoofers for the Dynaco A25s. :D

Regards,
Gordon.

MarkAnderson
06-30-2006, 10:36 AM
I guess I'd have to concur with the majority. I've had both here and the Dynacos are still here while the Advents, well...aren't. BTW, Gordon, I like the way you think :scratch2: . - Mark

burnsyaz
06-30-2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks for all of your input. I will look forward to hearing the Dynaco's then. In the meanwhile, I will just have to live with the Advents. I got my Advents today, so it's time to order some foam surrounds. Thanks again -Tony

ashnut
06-30-2006, 03:52 PM
I can't comment on the Dynaco's, but I have no problem with fatigue on the Advents at all. A very smooth speaker, in my opinion. One that I have no problem listening to for hours. I keep on hearing about the Dynaco's. I've got to get a pair...

simplynuts
06-30-2006, 03:58 PM
See if you can find dynaco a150's. Their bass is better and I have owned the original advents with the masonite ring and beveled edge to the newer ones with the rounded corner and all metal woofer. I think the dynaco a150 blows away the advents. I never owned a full pair of a25's at one time. Advents do have listener fatigue, but the dynacos can be listened to for hours. I did try a double advent setup and it comes closer to dynaco.

MarkAnderson
06-30-2006, 04:05 PM
...I will just have to live with the Advents.

Well it's not like the Advents are crap. They do a lot of things quite well and supposedly get better when stacked, though I have no first hand experience with this. It's just as likely as not that you'll like them better than the Dynacos :para: . It's simply a matter of personal taste. - Mark

P.S.- Just so we're clear, the Advents I had were originals and it sounds like yours are the second generation New Advent (which I've not heard), but all indications that the two sound about the same.

kfa888
06-30-2006, 04:11 PM
I like the 25's better. BUT if comparing tot he 5012 which is a large advent with a dome tweeter it becomes a much closer race.

wank
06-30-2006, 04:21 PM
The original and the new sound very very similar, but I think the "New" is a slight improvement. The woofer is set about 3 inches higher in the baffle, I think. It cuts way down on the boundary effect bass.
That said, I have had originals for 20 years now, and I've never had to deal with listener fatigue.
I need to hear the dynacos.

burnsyaz
06-30-2006, 04:53 PM
I just got them and they are from 1977. Cabs are pretty scratched up, but nothing a light sanding and some stain won't fix. I am getting ready to call R S Sound Systems right now to order the foam surrounds.
Gordon, How do I Bi-Amp?

onepixel
06-30-2006, 05:54 PM
I haven't heard the Dynacos yet, but I stand by my Advents.

wank
06-30-2006, 07:15 PM
I think Gordon means to use an amp for the dynacos, and (using the pre-out with a couple Y-adaptors) a separate amp for the Advents.

And rather than RSSounds, you might PM Gordon or Reedger. Speaking of which ....