View Full Version : The Pioneer PL-88F turntable and CD recording

Mark W.
07-07-2006, 11:52 PM
Ok I've told someone on AK I will buy the PL-88F TT that their Dad has for sale. Being a front loading turntable it will allow me to add a secord Table to the Shrine. Where there is only enough room to set one conventional table.

This table has some very interesting features like a laser that scans the tracks and allows an album to be played like a CD one selected track at a time.

For some great photo's see this ebay auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180002154765&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX)

Now this in one of the last developements in tables from Pioneer (at least I assume it is) it is also a linear tracker.

SO does anyone have an idea if as I assume this would be an ideal Turntable to pair up with my SERIES20 C-21 Preamp and Pioneer PDR-509 CD recorder to make high quality CD copies of some of my albums in a very clean and easy manor?

Also any recomendations for a $100.00 or less cart for such a beastie?

It would not be my main table the Pro-Ject 1.2 I have now will continue to do that job until I replace it with a RM-5 I want to modify to have two arms later this year if things work out.

But in my TT cabinet I could mount this Front loader right under my SERIES20 C-21 preamp and then mount the PDR-509 just under the PL-88F. So that I would have a complete stand alone LP to CD system within my Shrine system.

I may have to put a Source Selector Switch between the TT's and the Preamp. But that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Always thinking?

gadgetworks
07-21-2006, 11:27 PM
I bought my PL88F new and I really liked it. Still have it today but it doesn't work. Not a linear tracking type. The sensning eye with the 3 levels of sensitivity, even new, didn't really work that well. On records that were heavily recorded with good spaces between works good. But recordings like Pink Floyd, and music with low spots in songs would make the thing think the song was over or would put down in the middle of the song. Didn't much use that feature. I play most of my records all the way through, but there's those times when you play a song, and pretty soon you've got half your records spread all out. That's when the manual mode works great. And 80 pounds of stackable load weight makes for a turtable you don't have to lift the lid or wory about setting anything on the lid, and then have to move it to play or remove a record, now that's efficiency. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.