View Full Version : Teac A3340-S is mine

Dansk
07-17-2006, 12:45 PM
I just got back from Value Village, where I picked up a Teac A3340-S for $59. It was originally $129, but the guy cut the price in half when he found out the box of reels that was supposed to come with it had accidentally been sold separately. (A shame, but oh well, I can always get more reels.) I'll post pictures when I manage to get it home (I need to find someone with a car first, it's a little heavy to carry on a bike :D ) I tested everything that I could manage to test in the store, all the lights and meters work, the spindles seem to turn at the right speeds (ie they spin out of control because there are no reels to stop them from doing so) and it looks like it's been very, very well taken care of. So, what are my steps to bring this into working condition? I know I should clean the heads (rubbing alcohol and Qtips??) but beyond that my knowledge of reel to reel maintenance is zero. I've only ever played around with one other, my grandfather's old Pioneer 1020. (We couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, the left and right channels would randomly cut out on us.) Also, does anyone have any advice on where I could pick up a pair of 10.5" adapters for it?

Dansk
07-17-2006, 12:56 PM
After looking at some pictures I found, I just realized that it might also be missing the pinch roller.... hrm. Is it worth keeping without the pinch roller? Is that one of those parts that are impossible to find?

Fred Longworth
07-18-2006, 04:26 AM
If you feel it's a loser because it has no pinch roller, out of great compassion I will allow you to donate the machine to me.

Actually, the A3340 was the garage band dream machine of the late seventies. It is definitely worth spending time restoring. HOWEVER, first you should check the heads to make sure they don't have deep ugly wear-tracks the width of the tape.

TEAC in Orange County will sell the pinch roller for about $40.

Install it, clean the head assembly, treat switches and controls with Caig DeoxIT D5, and oil the motors through the little "surgical tubes." Then, enjoy.

Fred

wordman001
07-18-2006, 07:07 AM
Still a score.....

Be very careful of the slide switches on the head assy or near it.... they can become brittle with time and break off. Blast them with air and tuner cleaner and work them very gently till youre sure they move without excessive resistance.

More importhat than the pinch roller, the cap that holds it on ?

packrat
07-18-2006, 08:42 AM
I saw that at about 10:30 yesterday morning - I knew that if I passed on it someone who needed it more than me would pick it up! That and I wouldn't know what to do with it.
The guy stocking the shelves had just put it out because someone had returned it! He told me it originally came in with a bunch of reels but was returned because it was missing a part (pinch roller I guess). Sounds to me like someone got their money back and kept the reels. Good to see you got a deal on it.

jblmar
07-18-2006, 08:54 AM
Never use rubbing alcohol on the heads. Use IPA. If possible 91% or higher. Never use it on the Pinch Roller or belts.
Check the condition of the capstan & counter belt. If the speed is off, replace the counter belt. The capstan belt won't increasd wow or flutter.
Clean all switches with Deoxit.
Do get the servive manual. The later A-3340 used 'Flip-Flop' circuits (TTL) and you'll need the manual and an oscilloscope to service it. Incidently, my A-6100 MK II developed a Logic problem over the weekend, so I'll need to break out the SM & scope over the weekend to find the problem. The A-3340S & A-6100 MK II were the later, higher tech than the earlier versions.
The reel motors are most likely sealed and won't have access tubes. The capstan motor will need oiling. As a general practice, I open, clean & reoil the capstan motor.
DEsolder the relays from their board, pop them open and clean their contacts. Don't spray cleaner, rather apply to something like paper and pass the paper through while pressing gentily on the contacts. Resolder in place.
Pull out the capstan, clean & oil the bearing.
All for now. You'll later need to check all torque measurements as well as head alignment, Bias & EQ settings.

Ron

Dansk
07-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm going to pick it up today and bring it to where I work (fortunately a short distance,) where it will have to sit until I can talk someone into driving it home for me. More to come...

Dansk
07-18-2006, 12:18 PM
Alas, a tragic ending. They resold it after I left yesterday. Grr. And they couldn't even give me a refund, I ended up with store credit. Grrrrr. I'm bringing a pen with me the next time I'm there and I'm filling out a very angry customer feedback sheet.

Grainger49
07-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Had one of these when they were new. Fine deck.

Enjoy!

cableguy2
07-23-2006, 07:43 AM
I would never take the old tape offered with any deck, it's probably crap, okay, maybe I would take a 3M 996 just for the reel, but not much else.

goldear
07-23-2006, 08:11 AM
Alas, a tragic ending. They resold it after I left yesterday. Grr. And they couldn't even give me a refund, I ended up with store credit. Grrrrr. I'm bringing a pen with me the next time I'm there and I'm filling out a very angry customer feedback sheet.
Wow, I was about to congratulate you, and then I read this! :eek: How did this happen? And why did not you pick it up when you saw it?

blooeyz
08-14-2006, 10:41 AM
hi all;
Yeah, i grieved to hear the sad news....sigh...it NEARLy happend to me...I was at Goodwill looking for tools, and spied a Teac 6300 looking good on a lower shelf stuffed between a coupla sewing machines and a microwave over....it called out to me....I need a home!!! yeah.
and i looked it over...plugged it in...all seemed fine, it had twpo large metal reels, the Original (i presume) Teac metal reel and an Ampex reel full of tape...plus... it DID have the 10 inch reel adapter hubs with it...so i stood guard over it , rushed off to find a cart...and took it with me... $59.00 and today its one of my pride and joys....another time..i saw a Kenwood KA87 integrated amp..i came back two days later. to get it....GONE!!! so word to the wise..if ya want it..TAKE it.
blooeyz

MRFLASHPORT
08-14-2006, 02:47 PM
that sucks...on both counts. They should give you a full refund. not just a store credit, it was THEIR error on re-selling it. They took your money and re-sold your product. I could see if you left it for 30 days or something...but what a load of crap. I would go to corporate on this one, bad enough to lose out on such a fine piece of gear, but to get ROBBED too...