View Full Version : 1950's RCA Victor Orthophonic Phonograph...

azguy1878
07-17-2006, 07:59 PM
I bought this on ebay as a project and a decorative piece. Just thought i'd share this relic with you guys. Its missing the needle, the motor is shot and theres no sound at all. The cabinet is in exellent condition, I thought it would be alot worse judging from the pics on ebay but it cleaned up pretty nice! It also has the original tag, instructions, and form to order parts! Anyway its gonna be a nice project.

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/438/767655465546854iq4.jpg

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/857/867496549685hk6.jpg

Sandy G
07-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Oh, I think you need to fix this beauty...Get 'er sounding as good as she looks...

stereofisher
07-18-2006, 07:36 PM
Nice shape. Good luck with the turntable. Tried fixing these turntables up as kid in the 60's. Sadly quickly found out why my boss replaced mainy of them with Voice of Music turntables. It was far easier than fixing the RCA changer! I would talk to Joel at Turntable Factory. He may be able to shead some light on this model.

The amps are simple and recapping it should be easy. Good luck and post you progress..Eric :music:

audiophile55
12-15-2007, 09:52 PM
Here's mine. Rca Victor New Orthophonic High Fidelity SHF-3. I love it! I installed an additional SHF-3 amp from a like model which was beyond help, in order to playback stereo (originally a mono unit) and it has become my favorite listening device.

vinyldavid
12-15-2007, 10:02 PM
Nice shape. Good luck with the turntable. Tried fixing these turntables up as kid in the 60's. Sadly quickly found out why my boss replaced mainy of them with Voice of Music turntables. It was far easier than fixing the RCA changer! I would talk to Joel at Turntable Factory. He may be able to shead some light on this model.

The amps are simple and recapping it should be easy. Good luck and post you progress..Eric :music:

I am sorry to say, but Joel passed away July first of 2007. A great person.

stereofisher
12-16-2007, 11:14 PM
Here's mine. Rca Victor New Orthophonic High Fidelity SHF-3. I love it! I installed an additional SHF-3 amp from a like model which was beyond help, in order to playback stereo (originally a mono unit) and it has become my favorite listening device.

Have not seen one of these in quite awhile!

Eric:music:

audiophile55
12-17-2007, 09:05 AM
Have not seen one of these in quite awhile!

It was love at first site for me. I went to an estate sale at a house which had been closed up at the end of the fifties when the family came into money and moved away. It was a literal time capsule. They had a television with the same cabinet style but I only had enough for the hi-fi in my pocket. I'm forever trolling the net now looking for parts to have on-hand. My objective is to keep it running the rest of my life. I've never had a unit as I liked as well as this one.

Tony V
12-17-2007, 05:25 PM
You'll be impressed on how well these sound when your done with it. Some came with an optional matching speaker with built in amp for stereo which surface from time to time. I use mine to play my older records on. The motors for these are just a typical record changer motor and nothing special so should be an easy replacement. Check your power switch as they become sticky in these for some reason. Dont forget to change the rubber motor mounts as every one of these i've came across were either weak or shot which will effect your speed and changing ability. The idler may be hard also which will either need to be resurfaced or rebuilt. NOS cartridges and needles for these come up frequently on that auction site although i've never encountered a bad cartridge in this paricular model so far. Nice find!
-Tony

WhiteSE
12-17-2007, 05:33 PM

you serious??? man, that bites.....!:no:

vinyldavid
12-17-2007, 06:02 PM
you serious??? man, that bites.....!:no:

I know. I was supposed to go down to his shop for a summer and learn to continue his work!!:tears:

WhiteSE
12-17-2007, 06:15 PM
Joel was Azguy1878? he posted in 09/07..

biffrhodes
12-21-2007, 03:20 PM
I have one of those, in that 50's blond color. All mine does is go HUMMMMMM very loudly when you power it on.

stereofisher
12-21-2007, 04:33 PM
I have one of those, in that 50's blond color. All mine does is go HUMMMMMM very loudly when you power it on.

replace the filter capacitors. We were replacing them in the 60's when I worked for a local TV guy. Ah! Those were definitely the days!!!

nitrous
12-21-2007, 04:50 PM
Funny I should see this thread just as I'm listening to a RCA Victor Orthophonic LP #SRL 12-1 entitled "Hearing is Believing." It's a demo record of classical & contemporary (50s) music demostrating the improvement in sound recording to full frequency range, full dynamic sound. The narrator implores all to listen to this record on a new RCA Victor Orthophonic Victrola to maximize the experience!

stereofisher
12-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Funny I should see this thread just as I'm listening to a RCA Victor Orthophonic LP #SRL 12-1 entitled "Hearing is Believing." It's a demo record of classical & contemporary (50s) music demostrating the improvement in sound recording to full frequency range, full dynamic sound. The narrator implores all to listen to this record on a new RCA Victor Orthophonic Victrola to maximize the experience!

My parents had a beat up copy of that LP in the 50's. I was 7 or 8 when I spun the record. Any chance you could record it for me. Its been a long,long time since I listened to that record! Hard to believe you have a copy. I would be glad to pay you for your efforts. Either a cassette or RTR would be super.

This hobby never ceases to amaze me what turns up.

nitrous
12-21-2007, 05:25 PM
My parents had a beat up copy of that LP in the 50's. I was 7 or 8 when I spun the record. Any chance you could record it for me. Its been a long,long time since I listened to that record! Hard to believe you have a copy. I would be glad to pay you for your efforts. Either a cassette or RTR would be super.

This hobby never ceases to amaze me what turns up.

Sure Eric. I'll send you a PM.

damhot2002
01-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Hi I also have a phonograph like this thats been in the family since it was new . The only thing is I don't have the spec sheets or repair parts list. I would like to get the rubber on the speed changer redone as well as the main drive wheel for the turn table, would you know how thick these are new?

2DualsNotEnough
02-07-2008, 12:26 AM
I picked up a nifty one of these today at SA.I usually avoid consoles like bad cheese,and this one isnt cosmetically wonderfull,but I was blown away by the fact that the turntable works well,all the lights seem to work,and it sounds just swell.I have been looking for a solution to play my 78s,and this fit the bill very nicely.The badge on the front says "Dual Amplifier Stereo-Orthophonic High Fidelity.The Model Number is SHC-9.I think that the tuner is mono,but the phono and tape(it doesnt have a tape,just the possiblity to add an aux unit)are stereo.I think its just one speaker unit with several drivers in it,and probably had an optional stand-alone second speaker for stereo.
My wife and I listened to 78 during and after dinner tonight.What a pleasure:music:
It came with the legs inside,but there were no threads on the base of the unit to screw them in with,but hey,I wont complain for $27.
Jimmy

2DualsNotEnough
02-07-2008, 12:35 AM
Here are a few pics.
Jimmy

2DualsNotEnough
02-07-2008, 12:38 AM
A couple more.

cactuscowboy
02-07-2008, 12:51 AM

That's very sad news.

I talked to Joel about a year ago. Although I didn't buy anything from him at the time or require his services, he was kind enough to spend 10 minutes on the phone with me, freely offering some great advice.