View Full Version : Good speakers for McIntosh amplifier

vendo81
07-27-2006, 12:43 PM
Hello McIntosh lovers,
I've been using a McIntosh MC2505 amplifier in my computer room for the last few months and have them running a set of KEF 104/2's. The combo actually sounds very nice but I know how fantastic the KEF's sound when powered by a high power, high current amplifier.I also tried my Dahlquist DQ-10's for awhile and they need more power to sing as well. The 2505 is my first McIntosh amplifier and I'm amazed at the build quality and even more by the smooth sound this little 50 watt per puts out! I'm going to be looking for more McIntosh equipment and now see what all the fuss is about....My first question is what speakers would any of you suggest with the 2505? Secondly I've been using the output from a CD player directly into the 2505 and the 2 gain controls have become the volume controls. I'm looking to get a preamp that works well with it so I'm not fussing with 2 knobs. CD's are the only thing I'll be listening to and I'm using a California Audio Labs IKON ll CD player. This system is not my first priority for expensive upgrades but I've really grown quite fond of this amplifier and would like something that does it justice. It actually has a "tube sound" (at least to my ears) and I bet the right speakers would sound great. Thanks for any suggestions.

krimney
07-27-2006, 12:53 PM
I haven't tried all my speakers with my MA6100, but the POLK monitor 10 I did hook up sounded better than with anything else I had used them with. The tannoy I am using now sound a little bright so I use the HF switch.
I think that overall, the McIntosh sound will make most speakers sound better.

vendo81
07-27-2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks Krimney,
Polks would be a good choice. They don't need lots of power so my 50 watts should be a good match. How do you like your Sansui BA-5000? Great looking and sounding series from Sansui. Goes great with the TU-9900 tuner as well. :D

Soundthought
07-27-2006, 08:21 PM
Klipsch Fortes

canucks0
07-27-2006, 10:23 PM
any current designs for suggestion?

dewickt
07-27-2006, 11:25 PM
Quick note the MC2505 was slightly over built, one in fair condition should be capable of 70W or more per channel with both driven.
My MC250 (2505 with no glass) measures 75W at the 1% THD check point, yielding a good peak power of 140W.

Number 9
07-28-2006, 12:54 AM
Current designs ...?

Klipsch Cornwall III ... destined to be a classic. Actually, its already a classic.

vendo81
07-28-2006, 01:46 AM
Hi Terry..Thanks for the info on the power output. This thing does look overbuilt.
Number 9..Great suggestion..I've been looking for a set of Heresy or Cornwalls for my Fisher 400. I'll have to try them on my McIntosh as well.

Tangent
07-28-2006, 06:24 AM
What do y'all think about the Klipsch Tangent 50 speakers?

What is their frequency range?

Would 40 tube watts drive them adequately?

What would they be worth? $500.00?

krimney
07-28-2006, 10:04 AM
well, so far, it really seems to have no limitations. power to spare, great sound, great looks. lately though I have been playing the MA6100 more. I have not had the time to A/B the Mc against the BA using the same speakers, one day I will. Mean meaning to do that with the MC2100 I have but have not had the time. Soon I can compare the "Big G" sound as well :D

Number 9
07-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Vendo ... McIntosh and Klipsch have great "synergy" ... A bit of the "forward" edge you get with Klipsch speakers is offset by the smooth, full and laid-back character of McIntosh amps.

I owned Corny's for many years, and now own Forte II because of a smaller listening room. On the Klipsch forum's, but all accounts the new Cornwall III and Heresey II are a very nice improvment over the older versions. Klipsch is not for everyone's taste, I can see somemone who likes the British B&W/Spendor/Rogers type of sound being put-off.

As for the Tangent's Gary, I know little about them, they don't seem to be much in demand ... perhaps there is a bias towards Klipsch's Heritage line-up. For $500, if you are lucky, you can find a pair of Forte 1s or IIs which are highly regarded by the Klipsch cognescenti.

Tangent
07-28-2006, 09:51 PM
Thanks, #9. Appreciate it! :)