View Full Version : Studiocraft Model 330 speakers, any good ?

bru87tr
08-31-2006, 11:26 AM
found these at goodwill. didnt see anything on ebay to give me an idea. they seem to be licensed through Bose from Syncom Computer. I didnt see Bose on them or I might not have taken them...lol

still they seem solidly built and looke to be hardly used. matching#'s and have a piece of papaer stapled to both the backs, big piece of paper saying describing the speakers and manu. made in 1972, USA.

paid $5 a piece for them. are they good or junk ? anyone hear of these ?

Ralph

bully
08-31-2006, 01:14 PM
No "Studiocraft" brand listed in my 1997 Orion.

bru87tr
08-31-2006, 01:21 PM
thanks for the help.

bose has the syncom listed on the history page for 1972. also read a few things on line about the studiocraft being a decent speaker. let me tell you, it sure sounds damn decent to me. I did find the woofers were replaced but the guy did an exteremly good job. foam surrounds but def newer driver. dual tweeters sound perfect.

for $5 a pop they will stay in my other room. very suprised the sound they put out. didnt expect it especially since I seen bose on it when I got home...nnnnooooooooo! :)

mhardy6647
08-31-2006, 02:13 PM
I remember them marketed as "Studiocraft by Bose" in the mid-1970's. Another Bose downmarket brand of about the same time was "Interaudio", as I recall.

bru87tr
08-31-2006, 02:34 PM
think they are any good ? they sure sound nice to me and I dont like Bose.

john_w
08-31-2006, 02:50 PM
I just re-installed a friend's system with a vintage receiver, and they have the above-mentioned Bose Interaudio speakers. Didn't sound too bad to me. Of course, I didn't have anything to compare them too, but they didn't sound "bose-like", IMO.

mhardy6647
08-31-2006, 03:49 PM
The "xxx by Bose" speakers generally (if not universally) did not use Bose-designed/patented "Direct/Reflecting" or Bose-innovated speaker design principles. They were instead, as I recall, of more traditional ported or sealed "monkey coffin" design, and I suspect used off the shelf OEM drivers sourced, e.g., from CTS or the like. I have heard some very "ordinary" box speakers (e.g., Scott S-15) put together this way that sounded far better than a hi-fi snob like me would've expected.

This is my roundabout way of saying that some of us might well like them better than the genuine article from The Mountain in Framingham, MA.

Larry
08-31-2006, 04:26 PM
Marketed by Tech Hi Fi...330's and 440's. Woofer with angled tweeters.
Larry

bru87tr
08-31-2006, 04:29 PM
alot of names on these speakers. maybe I can find some more info.

Larry
08-31-2006, 05:59 PM
I have an original brochure - Studiocraft Speakers - "An audio Improvment in direct radiating speakers.

The model 330 is the second from the topline. It has an 8inch woofer - alnico high energy magnet, 3/4inch long voice coil. It has 2 1 3/4 inch tweeters. 8ohms...Retail price $105. They were made by Studiocraft systems in Framingham Center Mass. Tech Hi Fi marketed these whispering that they were made by Bose.

I owned the 440's - larger woofer and larger tweeters. For what you paid, in fact, for what you paid...you have a pair of speakers. But, if you are looking for something more, there are better vintage speakers to buy - and not for a whole lot more.
Larry

bru87tr
08-31-2006, 06:41 PM
very cool!!! I actually found a pdf file online that has the original ad out of a newspaper. it dates 1976 and the speakers were listed at $400.

thanks for the info, thats real cool. I wasnt really looking for speakers as I was pretty happy with my modern ones but I have to admit these sound way better than I thought they would and I actually prefer them over my modern speakers.

I wont be looking for more vintage speakers as these do just fine for the space I have them in (receiever is next) the wife couldnt handle bigger in the room they are in. I have the cellar stacked as it is. but if I do stumble over some better ones at goodwill, oh, they will come home with me. :)

very cool and thanks!!!

here is the link to the pdf....at the very bottom is the ad. the last page.

http://www.library.ubc.ca/archives/pdfs/ubyssey/UBYSSEY_1975_09_05.pdf#search=%22studiocraft%20330 %20speakers%22

bru87tr
09-04-2006, 03:10 PM
some pics for those interested.