View Full Version : How to hook up an equalizer?

chillwolf
09-01-2006, 09:53 PM
Just got a 12 band equalizer today. Now I know a lot of you don't like using them. But it is a new thing for me to play with. Just want to know the best way to hook it up in my system. It has on the back, main in-out, tape1 mon-out, tape2 mon-out. I want to use this with my Kenwood TK-88 recvr. which I have a direct drive TT, a 5 CD changer and a dual cassette deck hooked up to it. Thanks for any help with this. I did a search here and on the net but couldn't find anything that would help me.

^WILL^^

melofelo
09-01-2006, 10:02 PM
should be the same for most eq's..

eq connects to either the tape 1 ( or tape 2 ) rec/play sockets on your receiver or amp ...

for example

tape 1 : record out L & R <connects to> : eq main input L & R
tape 1 : playback L & R <connects to> : eq main output L & R

then connect your cassette recorder to the [TAPE] sockets on your eq...

select the tape switch on your receiver to pass the other source signals connected to the receiver through the eq ( or through the tape deck via the tape monitor switch on the eq)...

eq's are fun :thmbsp:

mjr4077au
09-02-2006, 02:52 AM
I prefer to wire the equalizer through the Pre Out/Main In as you can modify the sound of any input and you cannot accidently record a modified sound (Unless that's what you want).

P.S. I have a Rondo GS-1100 20-band equalizer that you can run 2 sources so I could wire it up to the Pre Out/Main In to modify any sound on any source and the one of the tape decks to modify the recording sound.

marty-alex
09-02-2006, 08:51 AM
I prefer to wire the equalizer through the Pre Out/Main In as you can modify the sound of any input and you cannot accidently record a modified sound (Unless that's what you want).

P.S. I have a Rondo GS-1100 20-band equalizer that you can run 2 sources so I could wire it up to the Pre Out/Main In to modify any sound on any source and the one of the tape decks to modify the recording sound.Wow, so you can connect it between PRE and MAIN? Must try it soon!! You know, this is it: I had too many devices and I didn't know how to hook up all of them - so I connected CD-player and TAPE only (but wanted to connect four more inputs).

mjr4077au
09-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Quite honestly, That's how I thought everybody wired them up. :scratch2:

EchoWars
09-02-2006, 07:37 PM
The problem with connecting that way is increased noise...the EQ has to work with a much lower signal level when stuck between the pre-outs and main-ins.

mjr4077au
09-02-2006, 07:40 PM
I didn't notice an increased background noise/harmonic distortion?

marty-alex
09-03-2006, 03:26 AM
Quite honestly, That's how I thought everybody wired them up. :scratch2:Oops. :D

I'll give it a try, hope nothing goes wrong. :yes:

alexkerhead
09-03-2006, 03:36 AM
I am going to give it a roll as well.
I have a 10-band realistic EQ that has main in and main out and a signal booster(10Db I think - I drop the signal throughput for better clarity)
It has tape 1, and tape 2. Those will be for the 8-track and dvd player, since I rarely use them.
I will put my CD player on aux, r2r on tape 2 on receiver, cassette on tape 1 on receiver, and both my TTs on the phono 1 and two(one TT per phono input)
I had forgotten I could control all equipment with a single EQ...lol

mjr4077au
09-03-2006, 03:36 AM
Let us know if you get an increased harmonic distortion/background noise.

mjr4077au
09-03-2006, 03:38 AM
I have a 10-band realistic EQ that has main in and main out and a signal booster(10Db I think - I drop the signal throughput for better clarity)
It has tape 1, and tape 2. Those will be for the 8-track and dvd player, since I rarely use them.
I will put my CD player on aux, r2r on tape 2 on receiver, cassette on tape 1 on receiver, and both my TTs on the phono 1 and two(one TT per phono input)

My Rondo has a 6dB Gain knob on the back but that adds lots of background noise.

chillwolf
09-03-2006, 08:17 AM
Alex, do you have the manual for the realistic EQ? I didn't get one with my realistic 12-band EQ, and would like to have a copy of one. Or do you know where I could get one? Did a search on the net but couldn't find any.
Thanks, ^WILL^^