View Full Version : CrazedList.org Shackled

Wornears
09-13-2006, 09:45 AM
I thought this was a great tool for searching craigslist, but apparently the "authorities" didn't see the benefit of letting someone search more than one city simultaneously. Not invented here? Boneheads.

http://www.crazedlist.org/

Grumpy
09-13-2006, 09:47 AM
No worky anymore. Least for now..

streckfu
09-13-2006, 09:48 AM
The frontpage has this message for now:

crazedlist.org sorry folks. craigslist servers have started to block my IP and as a result searches are no longer reliable.

never fear fellow citizens! i will be working hard to impliment a revision of crazedlist that will allow you to keep searching like a madman...or woman.

crazedlist is not dead, the terrorist have not won!

cheers,
droo

ps. show your support for crazedlist's resurrection in t-shirt form

I don't understand their need to stop multiple searches. It is a tool they should have implemented themselves....

Wornears
09-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Streckfu -- I'm guessing that is the problem -- they didn't invent the search tool, so they're getting petty about it. Probably increased their business, I'd venture. (Sure increased my spending on it!)

Should have bought the site from the search originator and incorporated it and had a big blowout intro -- "New, Improved, Etc."

Probably have their programmers working on the same function right now...

jpdylon
09-13-2006, 10:17 AM
The multi search yould have been an awesome idea. Perhaps their sys-ads or their ISP were just getting cranky about the sudden spikes in traffic and server load from the multiple searches.

Raphael
09-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Perhaps their sys-ads or their ISP were just getting cranky about the sudden spikes in traffic and server load from the multiple searches.

I think so too. Happens alot.

dnewma04
09-13-2006, 08:13 PM
They have shut down at least 3 other sites just like crazedlist. That's why I was awful dissappointed when it was "found out" recently. I knew their would be a surge in traffic and a consequential shutdown of his IP. Their mission is to provide local classifieds for people who don't want to use eBay. I guarantee it's not a matter of jealousy or a "shit, why didn't i think of that?"...to simple to build to be an oversight.

acronym
09-14-2006, 08:14 AM
but...but... doesn't eBay own 25% of craigslist? see how it makes sense?

spartanmanor
09-14-2006, 11:02 AM
I think if they wanted multiple searches craigslist could easily impliment that themselves. Now its back to doing the same search on craigslist 5 times.

John in MA
09-14-2006, 09:27 PM
Craigslist at one point had global searches. I think the change came when eBay bought them. eBay wanted to keep CL local so it wouldn't cut into their national/worldwide sales.

dnewma04
09-14-2006, 09:50 PM
I have been using craigslist since 1999 or 2000? It has not had a global search during that time frame. Perhaps, prior to that they did? I'm not sure how long they have been around to be honest.

BuckNaked
09-14-2006, 09:56 PM
it's baaaack....

centaurus3200
09-15-2006, 05:21 PM
yeah, and if you use the fuckin' site, craigslist blocks your IP for abuse!

what total BULLSHIT! i mean why the fuck do they care about a site that allows you to search all at once? you can do it manually anyway?

crazedlist seems harmless but maybe they are afraid it opens the doors for more spam?

i'm a little pissed. i sent an email and got my IP unblocked though.

CH Nathan
09-22-2006, 09:10 PM
Craigslist should only block your IP in the same way that they blocked crazedlist's - if you exceed their set limits. Of course, it took crazedlist months to get blocked, with all the traffic going through there, so for it to happen to a single user, you'd have to be doing a *LOT* of searching...

Anyway, the main reason I'm throwing a comment on here is to let you know about www.craigshelper.com. It's a little tool I put together for the same purpose, before I'd heard of crazedlist. (Started before I'd heard of it, anyway.) It's got a number of improvements on crazedlist, including easier, faster browsing through cities in the results, automatic saving of your last searched category and cities, and smart pre-caching of the craigslist results pages to give you speed without unnecessarily hitting craigslist. (Of course it's all a matter of preference. I personally hate the "sea of checkboxes" on crazedlist, but many prefer it to my selection boxes. Ditto with our results systems.)

Anyway, give 'em both it a try, and whether you like it or not, please let me know what you think (here or via the feedback page).

Thanks!

Craig's Helper Nathan

http://www.craigshelper.com

yamahammer
09-22-2006, 09:24 PM
worked well for me cut my browsing time (this is in no way a testomonial ) :thmbsp: :D

CH Nathan
09-24-2006, 04:32 PM
You know.. in Lieu of a testimonial, what you Could do to really help a guy out is... let people know about Craig's Helper! My free google adwords trial that came with my web hosting is up, and as cool as I think my site is, I don't think I'll pay to let people know about it ;)

Soo ya.. it's all about word of mouth! Plus if I can get some links to me, I could get up in the google rankings for "search craigslist" and hopefully help some people find it that way.

Cheers,

Nathan
www.craigshelper.com

PS: as always, if you have any ideas for the site, please let me know!