View Full Version : Leslie 925 for Hammond Organ

EVGuy
10-09-2006, 12:59 AM
I just acquired a Leslie 925 speaker used with a Hammond organ. I don't have the organ so I can't listen to it but I'm curious as to what drivers are used in it. I know they are JBL and the highs are handled by what looks like a 375 but without dismantling a bunch of belts and pulleys to get at it, I'm just guessing. I haven't opened the bottom section yet but hopefully there will be a model label on the 15" woofer. I'll post pics tomorrow. Any input would be much appreciated. :music:

gogofast
10-09-2006, 01:47 AM
i have a few leslie speakers also. they were too nice and i was too curious to pass. i haven't yet figured out what i'm gonna do with them, but they do have nice tube amps and speakers - mine are jensens. i even thought about using the nice cabinet woods to build tube amp cases.

EVGuy
10-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Here's a few pics of the drivers. The woofer looks like a LE15-A which was used in the Paragon. It's 4 ohms. The model number on it is M41-4 which is probably a Leslie number. The horn assembly rotates. There is also a rotating drum in the lower section under the woofer but I haven't been in there yet. Enjoy the pics. Is there a site someone knows about that tells what drivers were used in the Leslie cabinets? I couldn't find too much info so far.

bowtie427ss
10-09-2006, 01:09 PM
My guess on the horn driver is model 2440, possibly 2441, it's the pro sound equvalent of the 375. The bass driver number doesn't really correspond with any listed JBL driver and may well have been purpose built by JBL for the leslie, it closely resembles the D-130 frame/motor, but looks like the ribbed cone and high compliance surround of the LE-14/15.

You have the cream of the crop where industrial leslie's are concerned!

kfa888
10-09-2006, 01:37 PM
WOW, that's one crazy looking setup there. :scratch2:

thedelihaus
10-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Here's a wbsite covering the topic- UNEARTHING THE MYSTERIES OF THE LESLIE CABINET, by Clifford A. Henricksen of Community Light & Sound. It was first published in Recording Engineer/Producer magazine, April 1981

http://www.theatreorgans.com/hammond/faq/mystery/mystery.html

Of course, Wikipedia has some good stuff on it too...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_speaker

EVGuy
10-09-2006, 08:48 PM
My guess on the horn driver is model 2440, possibly 2441, it's the pro sound equvalent of the 375. The bass driver number doesn't really correspond with any listed JBL driver and may well have been purpose built by JBL for the leslie, it closely resembles the D-130 frame/motor, but looks like the ribbed cone and high compliance surround of the LE-14/15.

You have the cream of the crop where industrial leslie's are concerned!
Thanks for the info on the drivers. You're probably right on the 2440. :yes: The woofer has the thicker frame though, found on the LE15A or the 150-4 or the pro model 2231 so it's most likely the 2231 because of the ribbed cone.

EVGuy
10-09-2006, 08:49 PM
Here's a wbsite covering the topic- UNEARTHING THE MYSTERIES OF THE LESLIE CABINET, by Clifford A. Henricksen of Community Light & Sound. It was first published in Recording Engineer/Producer magazine, April 1981

http://www.theatreorgans.com/hammond/faq/mystery/mystery.html

Of course, Wikipedia has some good stuff on it too...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_speaker

Great articles, thanks! :thmbsp:

jpciii
10-09-2006, 11:45 PM
The keyboard player in my old band used one that looks very much like yours, EVGuy. His was an early solid state one, and he liked to crank it up and distort the hell out of it Edgar Winter style. It sounded sooooo freakin' COOL!!! After years of constant touring, the thing finally just fell apart. Did you get the pedal controller that goes with it? He may want to buy another...(he's in Chicagoland, btw... hmmm)

EVGuy
10-10-2006, 12:37 AM
The keyboard player in my old band used one that looks very much like yours, EVGuy. His was an early solid state one, and he liked to crank it up and distort the hell out of it Edgar Winter style. It sounded sooooo freakin' COOL!!! After years of constant touring, the thing finally just fell apart. Did you get the pedal controller that goes with it? He may want to buy another...(he's in Chicagoland, btw... hmmm)
The guy I got it from also had a Hammond organ and a Hammond speaker even bigger than this one but I couldn't get it all because of space so I got this one. I didn't see a pedal controller but there were a few pieces attached to the organ that I'm sure were for this speaker but I was in a hurry and really didn't know much about any of it. I did know there were JBL drivers in it which is why I bought it. I really have no use for it though since I don't have a Hammond organ. :scratch2:

thedelihaus
10-10-2006, 01:03 AM
EVGuy,

No upright organ? :scratch2:

nesticle
10-10-2006, 04:33 AM
My dad is still kicking himself for not ripping the Leslie speaker out of the old Hammond organ we were given by a friend of the family. Really neat idea behind it!

EVGuy
10-10-2006, 02:43 PM
EVGuy,

No upright organ? :scratch2:
I went back an re-read what I wrote and edited it. Yeah, that didn't sound right. :D