View Full Version : Denon Cassette Deck Sleepers

Andyman
08-04-2003, 03:46 PM
I just got another cassette deck off Ebay and have got to spread the word. Based upon the recommendations and posts here, I picked up a three head Denon deck, model DR-M3. I had been using a NAK Cassette Deck 2, but it seemed harsh on some older tapes and the tapes I made on it sounded wacky in the car, so i decided to go shopping.

This new Denon is a real sweetheart! It sounds great and works wonderful. The motors are so quiet you don't hear them running in the fast modes and the tapes are very close to CDs. Add to that automatic tape selection, computer controlled controls w/ solenoid operation and a nice fluorescent display and I'm in love.
I had an Akai for 20+ years, then a Yamaha K-920, then the Nak with an aiwa 2 head in another system and this Denon really stands out. My 25 year old tapes sound fresh and alive and new tapes sound just like the source. If you see one of these Denon decks out there, I strongly suggest jumping on it. Heck, I'm even keeping a DR-F7 I picked up a few weeks back for $2.00 as a playback only deck (won't record) because it sounds so sweet.
________
LovelyWendie (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

boostcrazy
08-04-2003, 04:43 PM
Got to love those denons.I have had my Drm-44hx for 8 years and sounds amazing! so quite the denons are.

Cleve
05-05-2005, 11:29 AM
I just got another cassette deck off Ebay and have got to spread the word. Based upon the recommendations and posts here, I picked up a three head Denon deck, model DR-M3. I had been using a NAK Cassette Deck 2, but it seemed harsh on some older tapes and the tapes I made on it sounded wacky in the car, so i decided to go shopping.

This new Denon is a real sweetheart! It sounds great and works wonderful. The motors are so quiet you don't hear them running in the fast modes and the tapes are very close to CDs. Add to that automatic tape selection, computer controlled controls w/ solenoid operation and a nice fluorescent display and I'm in love.

Andy, I know this post is a couple years old - how is that DR-M3 working for you? I had one that I bought new in the summer of 1983 on what little money I could set aside while in college. I loved that deck - at the time, a laser-controlled 'real time' tape counter was unique - it used to amaze me how accurate the thing was... within a second or two for a typical 90 minute tape. And it was awesome to let the onboard computer take over and set up the tape eq and bias. Something else that impressed me - the solenoid actuated transport - when the Denon engaged play, it had a solid, industrial sound to it that made it seem it would last forever!!! The display - I loved that - it looked so pretty after the lights were low.

The Denon only lasted six months - my college apartment was burglarized during Christmas vacation and my Denon, along with my irreplaceable Dynaco FM-5, my equalizier, and my turntable, were stolen.

Now I'm thinking about buying a DR-M3 for nostalgia's sake and I still do have a lot of cassettes that I recorded LPs onto that I made with it! Just wondered how yours is standing the test of time?

axel
05-05-2005, 12:19 PM
I still have my black DR-M4 but it has, unfortunately, passed away a few years ago. Bought it in Switzerland in early 1984 - verrrry expensive.

Great decks, really, that were distributed very scarcely with different color schemes and/or sideburns depending on the few markets they were sold into. The M4 wasn't available in Japan I believe and the whole series was more like "export-only".
The mechanism, heads and auto bias/eq system were excellent ; the bad part was the plastic chassis. But mine ran about 10/12 years without ever a problem and, boy, did I tape in those days!!

jonny
05-05-2005, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the info-I think.......(I can smell the prices warming UP!)

Harvey/ Ga
10-29-2005, 10:58 PM
Got to love those denons.I have had my Drm-44hx for 8 years and sounds amazing! so quite the denons are.

I've been reading the forum on cassette decks and finally found someone who has a DRM-44HX !!

I sorta dropped out of any serious cassette recording when my old Pioneer FTP-1000 bit the dust, and nobody could repair it properly.

I found the 44 on E-bay...and probably paid way too much for it from what I've seen of some of the "scores" made here, but if it works OK, I'm happy<GG>

I'd appreciate any advice on this unit as to tapes, etc...and especially where to find an owner's manual.

dogscanskate
10-29-2005, 11:36 PM
about nak decks and tapes: tapes played on a nak deck should always be taped off a nak deck. they won't sound good in a car unless it's a nak deck you got in the car. a tape that was recorded off a nak deck is not interchangeable with other makes such as the usual jap decks. everybody who owns a nak cassette deck should know that. what makes the naks unique is their transport which is unlike anything else. the other decks just don't match nak tolerances.

another unknown nak fact: these machines with a type 1 tape (ferric oxyde) will easily outperform most of the other makes on type 2 tape (chromium dioxide). they are set up and biased to use type 1 tape at the factory. the reasoning behind this is that nakamichi came at a more expensive price point so that the owner could use type 1 tape and save a few bucks per tape.

i used to sell them eons ago and made sure my customers knew what they were buying and what could be done to get the most out of their naks. i see hundreds of posts on nakamichi cassette decks and i'm still amazed to see that owners who are disappointed that tapes are not interchangeable between nakamichi and other makes. it was their intent from the get go. whether this is right or wrong is not my concern and they sure didn't ask for my opinion:).

hope this shed some light on the nakamichi cassette deck.

dogscanskate
10-30-2005, 12:06 AM
btw, forgot to mention this: denon cassette decks were recognized as wonderful machines. they were solidly built with a great transport. they offered great bang for the buck. take a look inside a nak, a denon and the others. these 2 companies did build the best cassette decks of their era. the denon will play tapes made on other decks unlike the nak.

i don't consider denon decks as sleepers. if you didn't want to go the nak route, the next best option was the denon. and that says a lot for denon and just how good their decks were.

vintage-yungin
03-05-2006, 09:56 PM
today i picked up a denon three head drs-810 299.99 brand new i have the receipt and it sounds sweet

PioneerGuy85
03-07-2006, 11:15 PM
I have a Denon DRM-710 that is utterly fantastic, picked up at the GW for $8. The play motor used to scream, but the problem fixed itself, and I now cannot hear the motors at all. It makes perfect recordings, I can't tell recording from source, even with CDs.