View Full Version : For lovers of Philips GA-212 Green lights...

mrGrosvenor
10-27-2006, 08:22 AM
This post is a feast for all of you that love those green touch buttons on GA-212 :D

These (among others) pics are going to be used in one of my ads soon...

almost erotic, dont you think (?) :smsex: :D :D

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/6089/ga22si8.jpg

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/4115/ga23tt9.jpg

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/839/ga21hb6.jpg

pbda
10-27-2006, 10:52 AM
Very exciting indeed, mrGrosvenor. I will be picking up my repaired GA-212 from jblmar next week, and am very much looking forward to seeing the newly-glistening green lights. :thmbsp:

jblmar
10-27-2006, 01:00 PM
pbda,
Just look at mrGrosvenor's pictures until you pickup the table. Looks like yours. :D
Nice pics, mrG.
Ron

slow_jazz
10-27-2006, 02:09 PM
i once owned that turntable... brings back a lot of memories... i had it paired with a sansui 8080 receiver, sony rtr, and bic venturi speakers.... sold it to a friend of mine several years ago...

dr*audio
10-27-2006, 02:18 PM
These lamps burn out all the time, it's annoying. So the last one I worked on I replaced the lamps with high output LEDs, with a 470 ohm resistor in series. They are almost too bright, you could probably use a 560 ohm or 680 ohm resistor in series. Customer was very pleased.

Celadon
10-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Oh yea, --- here come the memories!

I never owned one of these, but came really close, I bought a Sony (PS4300?) with similar touch switch operation instead.

I have a special place in my heart for the Philips tables of that era. :music:

Super photography btw, what camera are you using, Nikon or Oly maybe ?

BruceRPA
10-27-2006, 02:31 PM
These lamps burn out all the time, it's annoying. So the last one I worked on I replaced the lamps with high output LEDs, with a 470 ohm resistor in series. They are almost too bright, you could probably use a 560 ohm or 680 ohm resistor in series. Customer was very pleased.
So then there is no truth to the rumor that the lamps have any bearing on the speed control governor? I have a 212 and I can't get the speed to be stable and it runs just slightly too fast. It also has a bit of fluctuation to it. The strobe just creeps clockwise and then there is a rhythmic momentary jump in speed about once per second. Then it is stable (and a slightly fast) until the next surge. I did replace the light bulbs and they do glow nicely now. The LEDs sound like a great idea. It looks nice but I can't use the TT until this problem is solved. Does the motor have an internal mechanical governor with contact points that could be worn or dirty? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

GasMan
10-27-2006, 07:29 PM
You can always get a Philips GA-312. Same TT but with red LED's.

jblmar
10-27-2006, 08:26 PM
So then there is no truth to the rumor that the lamps have any bearing on the speed control governor? I have a 212 and I can't get the speed to be stable and it runs just slightly too fast. It also has a bit of fluctuation to it. The strobe just creeps clockwise and then there is a rhythmic momentary jump in speed about once per second. Then it is stable (and a slightly fast) until the next surge. I did replace the light bulbs and they do glow nicely now. The LEDs sound like a great idea. It looks nice but I can't use the TT until this problem is solved. Does the motor have an internal mechanical governor with contact points that could be worn or dirty? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Ultra-Hog,
I tried the 212 I'm repairing for a fellow AK member with and without the indicator bulbs. No difference. The sensor works independant of those bulbs. You can us the table without the bulbs. Look at the strobe for speed indication.
P.S. Nice avatar! :thmbsp:

Ron

dr*audio
10-27-2006, 10:15 PM
I have a 212 and I can't get the speed to be stable and it runs just slightly too fast. It also has a bit of fluctuation to it. The strobe just creeps clockwise and then there is a rhythmic momentary jump in speed about once per second. Then it is stable (and a slightly fast) until the next surge. I did replace the light bulbs and they do glow nicely now. The LEDs sound like a great idea. It looks nice but I can't use the TT until this problem is solved. Does the motor have an internal mechanical governor with contact points that could be worn or dirty? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

It sounds like there is either a bad spot in the motor, or one of the 2 transistors in the motor speed sensing circuit is not working. It's a pretty simple frequency to voltage converter, the faster it goes the higher the voltage, which gets inverted ( faster = lower voltage) and fed to the drive circuit. When the drive circuit gets a lower voltage it slows the motor down. What I think is happening, is it's missing 1 pulse or not getting drive in one spot. This causes the motor to slow down, and the regulator circuit compensates by speeding the motor up. You need an oscilloscope to troubleshoot this.

cruisaire
10-27-2006, 10:38 PM
My only TT, so good I have 2 just in case.

radioactive
10-28-2006, 01:56 AM
Super photography btw, what camera are you using, Nikon or Oly maybe ?

he used a konica minota DiMAGE X31

mrGrosvenor
10-28-2006, 02:16 AM
Glad you all liked the pics...

Now this is scarry... Are You Psychic? "Radioactive" ?? How did you know which camera Im using ?

Now you have to tell me! otherwise I wont post on this forum again :D Are there some kind of software that scans pics to get out hidden info from them or what ? .... or did you hack into my computer :D you have to tell me.

radioactive
10-28-2006, 02:41 AM
Now this is scarry... Are You Psychic? "Radioactive" ?? How did you know which camera Im using ?

lol no im not pyschic .i used a program that alot of people use with their digital cameras or want to find out what type of camera was used to take the picture that had been posted.i'tll tell you even your camera settings used to take the pic.the program i use is opanda iexif2.they even have a program that if you dont want people to view this info you can delete it .information can be found here.opanda exif info (http://www.opanda.com/) .
chris

mrGrosvenor
10-28-2006, 02:59 AM
lol no im not pyschic .i used a program that alot of people use with their digital cameras or want to find out what type of camera was used to take the picture that had been posted.i'tll tell you even your camera settings used to take the pic.the program i use is opanda iexif2.they even have a program that if you dont want people to view this info you can delete it .information can be found here.opanda exif info (http://www.opanda.com/) .
chris

Ok, thanks...now my pulse is back to normal :D now that Im thinking I might have heard something about this... that all digital pics have somekind of code or tag stored within and it can also be a way to find out if a picture is genuine or copied cause every pic has its own unique personal "identification number"... :thmbsp:

Fisherdude
10-28-2006, 07:39 AM
I really like my 212, too. The power switch is a bit twitchy...sometimes it doesn't want to stay latched on. Is this a common/known problem? Is it cleanable? Replacements available?

Tia

mrGrosvenor
10-28-2006, 07:49 AM
I really like my 212, too. The power switch is a bit twitchy...sometimes it doesn't want to stay latched on. Is this a common/known problem? Is it cleanable? Replacements available?

Tia

Yes problems with the power switch givin up is VERY common, its more a rule than exception :) Im sure someone else can fill in with details on how to replace it... there was another thread here on AK about the broken switches a while ago...you may look for that one...

mcdmgb
10-28-2006, 09:34 AM

Tia

See post no. 4 regarding replacement. http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84824&highlight=philips+switch

Fisherdude
10-28-2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the replies!

dr*audio
10-29-2006, 10:12 AM
When these tables were still only a few years old we started seeing the power switch fail. I would replace it and in a year the new one would fail. So I asked the cutomers if they would mind if I replaced the push sitch with a heavy duty toggle switch that would last the life of the unit. Everyone was happy with that. You can use a toggle switch or a panel mount push button power switch. YOu simply drill out the hole in the top to the correct size and mount the new power switch in the top panel, and wire it up. Works great and it will "never" go bad again.

Fisherdude
10-29-2006, 10:39 AM
Sounds like the best solution. Since the original switch isn't exactly identical to the other three "green light" switches anyway, it won't matter. And, there certainly isn't any shortage of any kind of push-button switches you could want.

mrGrosvenor
10-29-2006, 12:42 PM
When these tables were still only a few years old we started seeing the power switch fail. I would replace it and in a year the new one would fail. So I asked the cutomers if they would mind if I replaced the push sitch with a heavy duty toggle switch that would last the life of the unit. Everyone was happy with that. You can use a toggle switch or a panel mount push button power switch. YOu simply drill out the hole in the top to the correct size and mount the new power switch in the top panel, and wire it up. Works great and it will "never" go bad again.

Its so interesting to get this type information from people who obviously did repair jobs on electronics back in the days, the knowledge you have is very valuable... myself I was only about 2 or 3 years old when the GA-212 hit the market :D

markallen
03-26-2008, 12:33 PM
Reviving an old thread here.

I just picked up a GA-212 from the original owner who bought it in May 1975 (he wrote it on the warranty card!). Came with manual, original double shipping cartons and is easily a 9+ out of 10 cosmetically. Has a Stanton 681EEE cartridge, the stylus looks good. He said the TT had developed some minor problem many years ago - couldn’t remember what - and had bought a Technics to replace it. It was time for the Philips to go, so I happily gave him the $10 asking price .

Surprisingly, the 212 belt is in good condition (though it seems a bit loose) and the main power button still works. The photo-cell controlled auto-stop feature (an interesting mechanism) required adjustment as it wasn’t shutting off soon enough – the stylus would bump the label. However, though the stop button lit up, the speed buttons didn't – despite the fact that the bulb under the 45 button was still good (I tested them). In addition, the unit would only play on 33 RPM, which you would get from touching either of the speed buttons - very odd. Examination of the PCB revealed nothing obviously hot or otherwise defective. Overall, the GA-212 played records okay, but it wasn't 100%.

So I decided to experiment and moved the good bulb from the 45 button to the 33 button, thinking that at least the most-used button would light up. Wrong. No light, but what I got was 45 RPM from either button! Now I'm catching on - I moved the good bulb from the stop button to the 45 - and got selectable 45 AND 33 RPM, and of course both buttons would light! Now the only remaining issue was that the stop button didn't light. I adapted an LED into the socket, and the Philips is now 100%.

So, class, what have we learned about the GA-212? 1) You gotta have a good bulb in each of the speed button sockets to get proper speed selection 2) the stop button will work fine without a bulb 3) a good bulb in the 45 button socket won't light up, but it will give you 33 RPM, and 4) a good bulb in the 33 button socket won't light up, but will give you 45 RPM. Though I didn't try it, I'm betting that bad bulbs in EITHER speed selection botton will get you ZERO RPMs. Hmmm. Let's hear it for 1970s Dutch electronic engineering!

One more thing: I had read on one of the various threads on this TT that pressing both speed buttons simulateously might yield 78 RPM. It doesn't. At least I couldn't get that to happen.

cableguy
03-26-2008, 04:07 PM
You can always get a Philips GA-312. Same TT but with red LED's.
Mine has green....must be a mod...:scratch2: either way sweet table.
My only TT, so good I have 2 just in case.
same here, a 212 and 312...
Great tables...

Bill

pmsummer
03-26-2008, 04:18 PM
Gosh I miss my GA-212 w/Shure V-15. Just about the only thing I lost in my divorce I miss.

virak
03-26-2008, 05:57 PM

Great tables...

Bill

My 312 has green 33/45 and red "stop"

mhardy6647
03-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Earlier GA-312s have the green incandescent lights; later ones had the LEDs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/mhardy6647/GA312.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/mhardy6647/GA312flipsidepartial.jpg

birddog
03-26-2008, 06:01 PM

Great tables...

Bill

My understanding is that the early 312's used the green lights. I have a one owner 312 that has green lamps.

birddog
03-26-2008, 06:02 PM
My 312 has green 33/45 and red "stop"

Hmmm, never seen that before... :scratch2:

Andyman
03-26-2008, 06:02 PM
I've got a couple of these I'm rehabbing and notice many of them have radial scrapes on the plinth back near the tonearm pivot about an inch off the platter.
Any idea how or why this happened???

http://audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=84427&d=1206579001

birddog
03-26-2008, 06:06 PM
There is a guy who sells "repair Kits" for these TT's, which include a power switch, lamps, & belt. I know that at least a few AK'ers have bought the kit. Not sure if I am allowed to say who he is here on the forums, but he is a fleaBay seller, and has been selling the kits for awhile.

If you PM me, or a mod says it's OK, I'll pass on the info...

Sandy G
03-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Wish I had mine back...I got it in '77...Seems like w/cart & everything, it was $150-175 or so...What a bargain ! Mine was a 312, w/green lights.

Halli
05-11-2008, 06:51 PM
I put my Philips GA-312 away in a box a few years ago, in favour of using Dual turntables that are not as seriously affected by walking across the floor.

Great as they are, with the Philips units having a fully-sprung tonearm and platter sub-assembly, just thinking about walking across the room would cause all kinds of bouncing and skipping. Clearly, they're really only intended for use on a firm shelf, or in a basement where the stereo stand is on a slab floor. Really nice table, otherwise.

Now that I've been mesmerized by the memory of those lovely green lights (very sensuous photo, by the way) I realize I need to build a robust shelf hanging from the wall and listen to the excellent sound of my GA-312 again.

I picked up a pretty groovy Sony linear-tracking "turntable in a drawer" unit at the local GW a month ago - need to connect that and give it a listen too. Looks like it has an AKG cartridge in it, but it's a pretty standard p-mount, so I may try to put in one of my excellent Stanton carts and adjust the counterweight to suit (those Stantons are heavy, but a great value for the money).

So many turntables, so little time...

Rybeam
05-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Andyman that semi circle is caused by someone carelessly allowing the platter to knock around off it's proper placement. Mine has a line that goes clear up to the arm rest. I have tried to figure a way to get rid if it, but fixing brushed aluminum is near impossible. Thought about using veneer to match base, but would have to stylize it to not cover the control labels.