View Full Version : Reconing "New" Large Advents

Pixel Eater
12-02-2006, 01:28 AM
I have the '76 or so Large Advents with rounded/deco cabinets and at least one woofer needs reconing due to urine damage :wtf:
Has anybody had experience with Simply Speakers' reconing kits (http://www.simplyspeakers.com/16reconing.htm)?
Could I do better? And is that even a new voice coil they give you?
My old coil has mild spotting, though the copper wire itself appears clean.

Also, the baskets on 3 of 4 woofers have rust spots. I need to paint these flat/gloss black.
I doubt a stock appearance could be had. What would you use for paint and would you prime?

lukiedog
12-02-2006, 08:34 AM
For the price of that reconing kit I'm guessing you could just buy a replacement.

I have the '76 or so Large Advents with rounded/deco cabinets and at least one woofer needs reconing due to urine damage :wtf:
Has anybody had experience with Simply Speakers' reconing kits (http://www.simplyspeakers.com/16reconing.htm)?
Could I do better? And is that even a new voice coil they give you?
My old coil has mild spotting, though the copper wire itself appears clean.

Also, the baskets on 3 of 4 woofers have rust spots. I need to paint these flat/gloss black.
I doubt a stock appearance could be had. What would you use for paint and would you prime?

gamalot
12-02-2006, 09:26 AM
The foam kit price is not too bad but I have been very satisfied with kits from PE and like the idea of supporting companies that support us here at AK.

As for the rust and Urine stink I think you should clean all surfaces with vinegar, remove all evidence of rust and spray with a satin finish if possible.

That stench is very hard to get rid of when it penetrates into wood and particle board and you might also have some swelling. I have passed on a few otherwise nice speakers where male dogs had manners similar to those of their owners.

I doubt you will find used woofers for less then the price of the kits.

Gary

Pixel Eater
12-02-2006, 12:47 PM
I was kind of interested in making a project out of this and salvaging this speaker. I wasn't going to mention it in this topic, but I'm also looking at rebuilding and reveneering the one cabinet.

lukiedog
12-02-2006, 02:33 PM
I doubt you will find used woofers for less then the price of the kits.

Gary

With shipping, the RECONE kits will be at least $45 each. You'd probably want to do the pair. Single woofers have sold for $30 including shipping on Ebay. I know, you thought he meant surrounds...

gamalot
12-02-2006, 02:45 PM
With shipping, the RECONE kits will be at least $45 each. You'd probably want to do the pair. Single woofers have sold for $30 including shipping on Ebay. I know, you thought he meant surrounds...

I think you are reading it wrong. Recone kits are $26.95 a pair! These are shipped to you and you DIY.
Having them do the recone for you is the prices you are confusing.

Gary

lukiedog
12-02-2006, 05:45 PM
I think you are reading it wrong. Recone kits are $26.95 a pair! These are shipped to you and you DIY.
Having them do the recone for you is the prices you are confusing.

Gary

The recone kit prices are on this page and it looks to me they are $39+$5 shipping:

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/16reconing.htm

The $26.95 is for a pair of surrounds. I like simplyspeakers and usually get my non-generic stuff from them, but for LA surrounds, rssound.com is the source they are $16 shipped and are the correct paper thin thickness (.6mm vs. .8mm for regular surrounds).

gamalot
12-02-2006, 07:21 PM
OOPS! Guess it is me who was cornfused!

Sorry, I will shut up now!

Gary

shocley
12-02-2006, 07:55 PM
I see they offer a reconing kit for Advent 10" woofers for $39.

Since I'd refoamed a pair of EPI 100's, I thought I knew what I was doing with re-foaming an Advent/1 woofer. The new surround looked great, but in the process I'd severed the voice coil :tears:

So it's off to eBay for a new woofer. But a new recone kit would save me from the unimitigated pleasure :grumpy: of buying via eBay.

Is reconing a woofer a reasonable DIY project? Would they have to be done in pairs? (2 x $39 is a little steep, not to mention the effort)

lukiedog
12-02-2006, 09:07 PM
I see they offer a reconing kit for Advent 10" woofers for $39.

Since I'd refoamed a pair of EPI 100's, I thought I knew what I was doing with re-foaming an Advent/1 woofer. The new surround looked great, but in the process I'd severed the voice coil :tears:

So it's off to eBay for a new woofer. But a new recone kit would save me from the unimitigated pleasure :grumpy: of buying via eBay.

Is reconing a woofer a reasonable DIY project? Would they have to be done in pairs? (2 x $39 is a little steep, not to mention the effort)

For $80 you might be able to get a replacement set of 10" Large Advent Woofers on the Bay, I guess the difference is you'd have "new" woofers, rather than 30 year olds. On the other hand, what if these DIY kits are not as good as the originals? The originals were factory assembled by someone who we hope knew what he was doing (pre Made-in-China-days) and were probably tested in some way to meet a standard (one would hope). Who knows what you end up with when you use these re-cone kits, due not only to the kits themselves, but the variation introduced by the novice assembler. What you end up with probably should not be called an Advent woofer any longer. Might as well get another woofer all together, PE has many under $50 apiece.