View Full Version : Thrusters explained :-)

mhardy6647
12-16-2006, 08:08 PM
I cannot tell you where I found these images, because I'd have to move the post... but I thought this highly technical explanation of the "Thrusters" speakers would be of considerable interest to the troops here! :-)

John in MA
12-16-2006, 08:10 PM
So that's what Polk ripped off for the SDA-SRS? :)

superdog
12-16-2006, 08:12 PM
are those thrusters any good?I have passed up countless pairs at the thrift shops.

ashnut
12-16-2006, 08:19 PM
All I can say is: "At least they got the colors right.":smoke:

Fisherdude
12-16-2006, 08:36 PM
are those thrusters any good?I have passed up countless pairs at the thrift shops

Ummhh, no.

dew042
12-16-2006, 08:42 PM
I love teh enhanced bass sound.

dew.

cubdog
12-16-2006, 08:57 PM
Man, I gotta get a pair!

cubdog

SoCal Sam
12-16-2006, 09:10 PM
They are so cheap and cheerful you can't pass them up. Hurry!

Bigears
12-16-2006, 09:14 PM
Now I know what "enhanced bass sound" looks like. I wish my speakers had "vibra-cones"

Parky50
12-16-2006, 09:22 PM
Yeah... they don't sound too dang good but, I sure was envious of my sister's shiny "new" Panasonic stereo that Christmas Day !!! Compared to my system to my system at the time (picture included) ... Hers was a smoking gun !!!

Fast_Eddie
12-16-2006, 09:48 PM
Man, I want me some! Anybody got some to trade? All I have is these a/d/s L810s.

Danger Boy
12-16-2006, 09:57 PM
i used to own a pair of them... back in the day... i didn't keep em... who knows where they are now.. probably became firewood or something. ha ha ha

I don't think Polk stole anything from the Thrusters patent. LOL

jedo1507r
12-16-2006, 10:02 PM
My college bookstore had a couple of those "Thrusters", gawd, they sounded undefinable, even when listening to talk radio. The owners then bought a pair of slightly better speakers, tall and empty pair of Yorxes.

BTW, the brochure makes it look like those speakers are emitting "diarrhea" rays, well, sonic diarrhea. :yuck:

Andyman
12-16-2006, 10:25 PM
are those thrusters any good?I have passed up countless pairs at the thrift shops

As have countless thousands of other collectors too :lmao:

motorstereo
12-17-2006, 06:59 AM
Sometimes when someone knowledgeable asks me about my set up I will mention that my speakers are panasonic thrusters. I do my best to keep a straight face and the look I get back from them is priceless.

doucanoe
12-17-2006, 07:28 AM
Thanks Mr. Hardy for finally clearing up the design mysteries behind the oft seen Thruster loudspeaker.

I have walked right by them in the past because I missunderstood them. After reading that, I know now to just walk faster. ;)

RC

Squidward
12-17-2006, 08:10 AM
A friend of mine who's not an audio guy actually has a pair and runs them as his main stereo speakers. Sometimes I smirk, but I know that audio is the furthest thing from his family's mind, so I bite my tongue.

Nick_the_'Nole
12-17-2006, 10:48 AM
I had a pretty amusing experience in GW when I scored those Paradigm Atoms awhile back. There was a person in front of me also looking through the speakers. There were, IIRC, some '80s Pioneer CS-somethings priced around $35, some Realistic Nova 7B's for $30 (I'd have prolly bought those if they were a bit cheaper), the Atoms for $5, and an assortment of Fisher Studio Standard and Technics stuff in the $20 range. There was also a pair of Thrusters, marked at $49.99.

Guess what the guy bought... :withstpd:

At first I was a bit worried he would walk off with the Atoms before I could get to 'em, since I saw him looking at 'em before moving on and inspecting the Realistics and the Pioneers. But then he got to the Thrusters, looked at the name badge, got a bit of a surprised look and immediately picked 'em up to go to the checkout. WTF?

Aldo
12-17-2006, 10:59 AM
My ex-girlfriend had something in her nighttable, I thought she referred to it as a 'vibra-cone' or something....ahh fahgetabout it already:smoke:

sb1800
12-17-2006, 06:13 PM
all you people bashing the lower end panasonic thrusters must have never seen the good ones. these are from 1978 and still work and sound good for most music.http://members.aol.com/rpcp95/thruster

dew042
12-17-2006, 06:43 PM
all you people bashing the lower end panasonic thrusters must have never seen the good ones. these are from 1978 and still work and sound good for most music.http://members.aol.com/rpcp95/thruster

Where does teh enhanced bass sound come out of those?

dew.

rickon66
12-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the information, now I cancel my trip to Tibet to search for the meaning of life!:banana: :banana:

sb1800
12-17-2006, 10:37 PM
the bottom 10" passive radiator give the enhanced bass

StarMover
12-18-2006, 08:36 AM
Those speakers are aptly named because you can have a ball 'thrusting' them into a dumpster, or 'Thrusting' a large iron spike through that that cheesy passive radiator, or even thrusting a large caliber rifle up against your cheek and popping off two or three shots in the general direction of a pair of $5 thrift-store targets with those big metal circles at 100 yards. :uzi:

StarMover
12-18-2006, 08:39 AM
Of course I"m not talking about the good ones. Just the cheap ones.

kfa888
12-18-2006, 10:34 AM
My ex-girlfriend had something in her nighttable, I thought she referred to it as a 'vibra-cone' or something....ahh fahgetabout it already:smoke:

Gee, I guess you were not doing it for her huh. That much be why the ex part :D

SoCal Sam
12-18-2006, 10:49 AM
I hear the sizzle but where's the steak?

Carpo420
02-08-2008, 01:19 PM
You can look righ at the thing and say poo poo. They are POS for sure

fdrennen
02-08-2008, 01:45 PM

Discover what thrusters can do for your favorite music!

vinyldavid
02-08-2008, 03:58 PM
I bought a pair, for $20, and actually used them as some SLIGHT sound reinforcement at a TINY concert by a pool......they worked, and were just what everyone loved, very tinny, and unintelligible. I blew the woofers (highly distorted now), and have given them to a guy that always annoys me, and he thinks that "If I bought them.....they MUST be insanely great!" :D

vinyldavid
02-08-2008, 03:58 PM

Make EVERYTHING sound like low-bit Mp3. :banana:

winters860
02-08-2008, 04:02 PM

Discover what Thrusters can do to your favorite music!

dark matter
02-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Thrust ye to a nunnery...or ye royal landfill.

Web Police
02-08-2008, 05:19 PM
When I find a pair I am going to put my Vott's out on the curb. :D

vinyldavid
02-08-2008, 05:26 PM
When I find a pair I am going to put my Vott's out on the curb. :D

I got a pair in my basement. What's your address? :D

kretinus
02-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Keeping in mind they were sold with cheap consoles, they didn't sound any worse than any other brands sold with cheap consoles.

I like to collect such things on occasion just for what they represent in regards to the overall industry, a slow downward spiral into hell.....

mwv121
02-08-2008, 09:29 PM
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

thanks for the post on the Thrusters. Priceless.

Web Police
02-08-2008, 09:33 PM

Too late I traded the Vott's to Raymondleggs for a pair of thrusters and a Sound Design Casseiver. :D

Elfasto
02-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Okay, so Thrusters are basically two smaller midbass drivers in a Bass reflex cabinet that uses a passive radiator to tune the cabinet, but they do it poorly?

(sarcastic tone here)Geez, am I wasting my time redoing my Reynolds Advance A2's?

vinyldavid
02-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Too late I traded the Vott's to Raymondleggs for a pair of thrusters and a Sound Design Casseiver. :D

Damn! Too late! :tears: :D:D:D

fsjonsey
02-26-2008, 07:21 PM
These threads always make me lol.

dmusgrave
02-26-2008, 07:30 PM
If somebody gave me a pair, or I found some for 5 or 10 bucks, I'd probably buy them for novelty factor.

They probably don't sad THAT bad at low volume do they?

jetman1979
02-26-2008, 07:42 PM
I like them for test speakers. If you blow them with a pop or snap from a dirty pot you will not be to upset.

John in MA
02-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Always seemed to me that basic speakers are hard enough to make sound good, throw in tuning mutiple drivers and a passive radiator and you're probably asking for for it.

Polk did the two-woofers-with-a-passive routine for years, by 1990 the 2-driver version was $900.

AnalogDigit
02-26-2008, 07:48 PM

Nope, for what I remembered, they were bundled with their cheap all-in-one compact stereos. There probably better than Soundesign or Yorx speakers.

fcarpcarp
02-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Looks like a nice platform for blowing smoke rings. Cool.

fcc

kermit z
02-26-2008, 08:58 PM
My parents bought me a Panasonic component system with Thrusters. Mine actually didn't have the tweeters. Sounded Ok low but forget getting any power to them. But my component system DID have an 8 track. They did sound good for that:yes:

gonzothegreat
03-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Those diagrams reminded me of the infamous Bose direct/reflecting arrows. Didn't Rodrigez (of Stereo Review cartoon fame) poke fun at this?

MarkAnderson
03-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Every time this thread's been bumped, I've read it in it's entirety. Why do I keep doing that?

thinker10
03-04-2008, 01:38 PM
How about playing Deep Purple - Smoke on the water

They will probably smoke before the end of the tune !

Oh no !

vinyldavid
03-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Ya know, they whop the ass of everything in best buy that I have heard.

I think that my school will be getting my spare pair. They use 3" cones to tey to fill a 50'x30' room.

Along with a Panasonic cassevier.

Brent71
03-04-2008, 04:10 PM
When I was about 11 or 12 my sister got married and her husband had a Panasonic all-in-one system with a pair of Thrusters. I thought they sounded bad back then. I can't imagine how horrible I'd think they were today.

cubdog
03-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Thursters seem to be indestructable and so does this thread.

cubdog

fsjonsey
03-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Thursters seem to be indestructable and so does this thread.

cubdog

Mains current seems to be their kryptonite.

BwanaJim
08-04-2009, 09:52 PM
With a little duct tape and a old earmuff frame they made great headphones.......

superdog
08-04-2009, 11:17 PM
are those thrusters any good?I have passed up countless pairs at the thrift shops.

Can't believe I asked that.It was early in my vintage career guys.:sigh:

jsarsfield
08-05-2009, 01:04 AM
Now I know what "enhanced bass sound" looks like. I wish my speakers had "vibra-cones"

I think the 'vibra-cones' were marketed to women who really like to enjoy their music :scratch2:

rifftrax
08-05-2009, 01:22 AM
Sometimes when someone knowledgeable asks me about my set up I will mention that my speakers are panasonic thrusters. I do my best to keep a straight face and the look I get back from them is priceless.

:D That would be extremely fun. Egad - I can't imagine what people in their "r&d" department were thinking.

"Hey guys, so here's what I was thinking...we could replace sound acoustic design principles for our drivers and cabinets with some fantastic sounding malarkey bull-crap gimmickry accompanied by a fun multi-colored diagram and then give it a name resembling a difficult bowel-movement to top it off. So what do you guys think??"

"Bill, that's...why. Good gawd Bill, that just may work!!"

"I agree James, we should all get started immediately. Frank, go phone our main factory that we need to order a massive set of particle board planks and the cheapest drivers in the galaxy for this one. Cary can start on the graphic layout later this evening I'm sure."

And an infamous legend was born. Or, maybe just kinda hobbled into existence...

kydog
08-05-2009, 03:55 AM

The ones I owned from 1978 sound good to me.:music: Don't know much about the others.

Strawman
08-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Every time this thread's been bumped, I've read it in it's entirety. Why do I keep doing that?

Did you read it all over again Mark? :D

pbda
08-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Those speakers are aptly named because you can have a ball 'thrusting' them into a dumpster, or 'Thrusting' a large iron spike through that that cheesy passive radiator, or even thrusting a large caliber rifle up against your cheek and popping off two or three shots in the general direction of a pair of $5 thrift-store targets with those big metal circles at 100 yards. :uzi:

First time I've seen this old thread, but the above response is priceless. :thmbsp:

mhardy6647
08-05-2009, 12:02 PM
yeah... there was a Thrusters question posted elsewhere yesterday, and I "borrowed" that charming technical diagram in my OP to this thread... but it's really perplexing what got folks started posting to this one again.

pbda
08-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Part of the reason for the continued, and quasi-unexplainable interest in these speakers has got to be the name. Had they perhaps been called "Isolators" or "Snoozers" they'd have long ago been consigned to the scrap heap of history.

mhardy6647
08-05-2009, 12:56 PM
For 'all-in-one' component speakers... many of the Thrusters actually weren't all that bad.

Nat
08-06-2009, 09:49 AM
What I'm trying to figure out is why the rings of bullets from one of the 'woofers' is out of phase with those from the other. And for that matter, why the wavelength of the rings is roughly similar from all drivers -- are all the drivers full range?. And why would a passive radiator have a mylar dustcap to diffuse the high frequencies?
Clearly the technology behind them is beyond me.

AnalogDigit
08-06-2009, 11:41 AM
What I'm trying to figure out is why the rings of bullets from one of the 'woofers' is out of phase with those from the other. And for that matter, why the wavelength of the rings is roughly similar from all drivers -- are all the drivers full range?. And why would a passive radiator have a mylar dustcap to diffuse the high frequencies?
Clearly the technology behind them is beyond me.

I would not try to dig too deep on how Thrusters work, I just know every thrift shop I visited has them, people were buying them for sure. They sound okay for an all-in-one stereo and that is it. The speakers are marginally better than my Soundesign speakers that I had. I would not even attempt to try them with a BOTL receiver like the Pioneer SX 450. The 16 watts of power might kill them.

ke4mcl
08-06-2009, 02:29 PM
alright guys... ya'll being too rough on the thrusters!

are they crap, yes!

are they better than the crap soundesign, yorx, craig, and lalalalaloyds was putting out?
yes!

keeping it in perspective with other cheap stuff they weren't bad. start comparing them to speakers that cost as much as the all in one the thrusters came with and now your talking something totally different.

elcoholic
08-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Hey where's that big AMC Pacer meet they have in the midwest again? I'm going to round up all the Thrusters I can find and set up a booth. It's just gotta be the right demographic.

Panasonic Thrusters - The speaker for Pacer people

ddanrr
08-07-2009, 01:30 PM
When I was a teenager in the 80's my Grandma had an old set of speakers packed away in her closet. I always wanted them, to take them out and see what they were and hook them up and hear how they sounded. Several times I asked her if I could have them, and she would always say no she wanted to keep them. Years later after she passed away I remembered the speakers in the closet, and I was able to inherit them. So were they Advents? Or maybe some nice Infinity's? No, they ended up being Panasonic Thrusters. I was not familiar with name at the time, so I took them home and tried them out. They sounded terrible, I mean I had some soundesigns at one time, and these were worse. Absolutely horrible, a thin tinny muffled sound with no high end and bass nearly nonexistent. I remember being so disappointed, these were the speakers I had wanted so bad? I kept them for quite a while, just because they were hers, used them mostly to stand on when I needed to reach high places like changing a light bulb. They worked good for that. Eventually I put them out by the road, and somebody did pick them up. So Grandma's thrusters do live on, another household to darken with their musical infidelity.

steerpike2
08-07-2009, 03:55 PM
It's just a jump to the left
And then a step to the right
With your hands on your hips
You bring your knees in tight
But it's the PANASONIC THRUST that really drives you insane!

biggguy999
08-10-2009, 01:22 PM
I would not try to dig too deep on how Thrusters work, I just know every thrift shop I visited has them, people were buying them for sure. They sound okay for an all-in-one stereo and that is it. The speakers are marginally better than my Soundesign speakers that I had. I would not even attempt to try them with a BOTL receiver like the Pioneer SX 450. The 16 watts of power might kill them.

I saw it happen....when I was in college, one of my suite-mates did just that. He had one of the Panasonic compacts that came with the "Thrusters" speakers which he thought was the world's greatest audio, until he heard my system (IIRC, it was a Lafayette receiver, which may have been 15 wpc, a pair of Rat Shack Optimus 2BFs, and a Pioneer PL-10 turntable) which made him lose his enthusiasm for the Panasonic he had, except he insisted his speakers were much better than mine (if you remember Rat Shack stuff from the early 70s, the Optimus 2BFs were the same drivers as the 2Bs- except in a slightly different white finish cabinet- I got them half price, and they were well worth that)...not wanting to get in an argument with him (he was a genuinely nice guy in spite of his audio ignorance) I didn't argue the point...

Christmas holiday rolled around....he came back a day later than I did, and he was so excited.....Santa Daddy has gifted him with a new HK 330B (Daddy actually worked for HK) and a new low-line Dual turntable (a 1225 IIRC)....I helped him hook the stuff up, and I must admit it wasn't bad. I warned him about turning it up too much, to which he actually paid attention to...for a couple of weeks anyways...

Then came a snowy Saturday night with plenty of intoxicants, both liquid and herbal....and the music was getting a workout on his new stuff (which he was so very proud of)...someone produced the latest Foghat (remember them?) album...it was OK at first, then some idiot intoxicated out of his mind turned it up.....next thing you know, those beloved Thrusters of his ended their useful life, and took the HK receiver with it! As I recall, the poor guy was actually in tears!

To sum up....the HK was put right under warranty...and when he picked them up, he also bought a brand new pair of Smaller Advents. I had to admit that I was envious then.....

budgetaudio6
03-21-2010, 10:48 PM
with the smaller adventshe had...I can see why you were envious...Excellent speaker.

Thespeakerdude8
03-22-2010, 10:46 AM
...used them mostly to stand on when I needed to reach high places like changing a light bulb.

:thumbsdn: Thats dangerous and I'd recommend against anyone using those for stepping stools.

Steerpike, that was hilarious :D

Thespeakerdude8
03-22-2010, 10:49 AM
To sum up....the HK was put right under warranty...and when he picked them up, he also bought a brand new pair of Smaller Advents. I had to admit that I was envious then.....

Wow, its a wonder that hooking thrusters up to that poor HK didn't void its warranty. :D

HomeBody
03-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Keeping in mind they were sold with cheap consoles, they didn't sound any worse than any other brands sold with cheap consoles.

I like to collect such things on occasion just for what they represent in regards to the overall industry, a slow downward spiral into hell.....
I suffer that very same trait, as well:scratch2:
Who's your physician:smoke:
I'm kinda drawn to the design principles of these thrusters....

Rotoplooker
03-22-2010, 12:54 PM
It was the summer of '78....My buddy and I just picked up the brand new Who album, "Who Are You" and literally could not wait to crack it open and give it a spin on my stereo. At the time, I had a new pair of Sansui SPX7700.

On the way back to my house, my pal says; "hey, my brother just got a brand new top of the line stereo system and it's a lot closer than your house." His brother worked off-shore on the oil rigs and had money to burn, plus he was away (month off/month on) so it seemed like a pretty good idea.

When we got there, we found a big Panasonic all-in-one (IIRC, receiver, cass, possibly 8-track combined) with a technics turntable and a large pair of Thrusters.

Once the needle hit the groove, I knew we made a mistake....

Still love that record though..

Vintage_Hi-F
03-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Make EVERYTHING sound like low-bit Mp3. :banana:
Your much too kind. I'd say low-bitrate Mp3's that were recorded onto an 8-track is more accurate. :D

Dave1384
03-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Can't believe I asked that.It was early in my vintage career guys.:sigh:

Don't be.
I think the 'vibra-cones' were marketed to women who really like to enjoy their music :scratch2:

I would not even attempt to try them with a BOTL receiver like the Pioneer SX 450. The 16 watts of power might kill them.

Bump again.
My wife had the whole setup when I met her in 1981.
The radio brought stations in clearly. We turned up WYNY and WABC and shook the second floor.:smoke:

I tried Analog's idea about a year ago, before I was getting rid of them. Wanted to see how much abuse they could take.

They suck.

AnalogDigit
03-24-2010, 08:10 AM
I thought of this thread the other day when I stopped at the SA after dropping my girlfriend off from work. There they were, Thruster speakers!

theophile
03-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Wow!

Speakers that blow smoke rings. :smoke:

roymail
08-09-2010, 11:43 PM
Wow, you know these speakers suck when nobody wants to gut them for the cabs! :thumbsdn:

ke4mcl
08-09-2010, 11:54 PM
somebody should do a wall of thrusters and see what blows away...

vinyldavid
08-10-2010, 12:15 AM
somebody should do a wall of thrusters and see what blows away...

....the wall :scratch2:

AnalogDigit
08-10-2010, 12:56 AM
This thread keeps on popping up like Thrusters in a thrift store!

steelydanfan
08-10-2010, 01:46 AM
why do we waste time posting comments on junk?

can we not just not reply?

all i am saying is why beat a dead horse?

to each there own:thumbsdn:

Caminokid
08-10-2010, 06:30 AM
I seem to remember back in the 80's....Listening to a set.....then backing over them with my 70 Chevy truck.:lmao:

Caminokid
08-10-2010, 06:36 AM
Getting them out of your basement will make the value of your house to go UP!

quneur
08-10-2010, 08:57 AM
I would listen to thrusters...playing rap and watching Steel Magnolias :cry:

TAGO MAGO
08-10-2010, 10:49 AM
To be fair, most of the time the compact systems those awful speakers came with were not terrible components themselves (they were bronze colored casceivers or 8-trackceivers), more than likely in line with the Pioneer Centrex systems which also came with horrible speakers, but hooked to better speakers could produce pretty good sound.

http://www.ephotobay.com/image/dscn0617.jpg

mhardy6647
08-10-2010, 11:05 AM
I've always sort of wanted one of those bronze-faced Panasonic receivers (and I wouldn't admit that just anywhere).

kenrothman
08-10-2010, 11:29 AM
I made a poster for my band...

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs192.snc3/19957_265242293926_8978858926_3450548_6357601_n.jp g

ke4mcl
08-10-2010, 11:36 AM
why do we waste time posting comments on junk?

can we not just not reply?

all i am saying is why beat a dead horse?

to each there own:thumbsdn:

1) seems to be entertaining
2) one mans trash is anothers treasure, or maybe just a good memory
3) in case anybody ever buys a set and thinks they are the cats meow, they'll have plenty of reading.

MeatInStereo
08-10-2010, 11:41 AM
One of those double drivers are bass and the other on is midrange so they could be phased....imagine the image of sound coming they would have....it would sound like a live band seeinging into a toilet paper roll right in front of you.

Tony1784
08-24-2010, 03:08 AM
To be fair, most of the time the compact systems those awful speakers came with were not terrible components themselves (they were bronze colored casceivers or 8-trackceivers), more than likely in line with the Pioneer Centrex systems which also came with horrible speakers, but hooked to better speakers could produce pretty good sound.

http://www.ephotobay.com/image/dscn0617.jpg

I use that same receiver in my garage with some old crappy Sony bookshelf speakers, maybe I should get some Thrusters to use instead :lmao:

Ashfan
08-24-2010, 08:26 AM
From AK I knew that Thrusters were the bad stuff, but the other day I found some TURBO Thrusters at the ARC thrift. I mean, they said TURBO! So they gotta be great, right!? A big step up from Thrusters. I hope they are still there when I go back tomorrow!

BOUXY
09-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Old Thread I guess!
Saw some Speakers today at a local Thrift,real cheap!
Yup Thrusters alright but not cheaply built ones but ones made by Pioneer with power rating of 90 Watts,too bad the Woofers were rotted:)

mhardy6647
09-05-2013, 12:28 PM
"Thrusters" were (or, more accurately, Thrusters was) a Panasonic brand name for speakers using a passive radiator. Many speakers, especially in the 1970s, used passive radiators to load the cabinet (physically speaking, a passive radiator works like the port in a bass reflex cabinet, and a PR-loaded speaker enclosure is also a Helmholz resonator, just like a BR cabinet).

Seminal examples include the Polk Audio Monitor Series models 7 and 10 :-)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7368/9606201717_d3fb6c6688.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42750692@N07/9606201717/)
earlypolkfamilyportrait (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42750692@N07/9606201717/) by mhardy6647 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42750692@N07/), on Flickr

daviddeep
09-05-2013, 12:41 PM
I check out speakers in thrift stores pretty regularly and have for 10+ years now. Unlike many posters here, I don't recall seeing a single pair of Panasonic Thrusters.

And I'd know what to look for since I had a pair in my first stereo back in 1982. I thought the idea of the passive radiators was cool (well, I was 13), but they did sound pretty mediocre. At some point I inherited a free set of Technics 3-ways and hooked them up to that mediocre Panasonic all-in-one turntable/AM/FM/cassette system and they sounded a whole lot better.

RJD257
09-05-2013, 02:03 PM
...I had a pair in my first stereo back in 1982. I thought the idea of the passive radiators was cool (well, I was 13), but they did sound pretty mediocre. At some point I inherited a free set of Technics 3-ways and hooked them up to that mediocre Panasonic all-in-one turntable/AM/FM/cassette system and they sounded a whole lot better.

Yeppers (lol) I'm a member of the "Former Thrusters Club" as well. Gotta love Panasonic's marketing materials at the time - they must've worked ! Mine were hooked up to my 1977-78 Panasonic all-in-one Turntable/Receiver, with their stock brown RCA-plugs. I was 12-13 at the time as well. At some point they died. That was the catalyst for my purchase of that 1st pair of Minimus-7 Black 40-2030A.

The rest, as they say, is history....

I wonder how many of us were "thrust" to better equipment & higher fidelity as a result of these speakers ?

daviddeep
09-05-2013, 03:41 PM
I was thinking about those crummy brown RCA plugs myself. A couple of posters earlier in this thread were talking about hooking their Thrusters up to various Harman-Kardon receivers and such, and I was thinking the hardwired RCA plug setup would have prevented that.

When I got my Technics speakers, I had to rig up a cable to allow me to connect them to the all-in-one receiver base unit with its RCA speaker outputs. I think I bought some RCA speaker cables at Radio Shack and cut off the plugs on one end to allow connection to the binding posts of the Technics speakers. Were people really going to this kind of trouble to allow them to use their Thrusters in other systems?

RJD257
09-05-2013, 07:35 PM
I was thinking about those crummy brown RCA plugs myself. A couple of posters earlier in this thread were talking about hooking their Thrusters up to various Harman-Kardon receivers and such, and I was thinking the hardwired RCA plug setup would have prevented that.

When I got my Technics speakers, I had to rig up a cable to allow me to connect them to the all-in-one receiver base unit with its RCA speaker outputs. I think I bought some RCA speaker cables at Radio Shack and cut off the plugs on one end to allow connection to the binding posts of the Technics speakers. Were people really going to this kind of trouble to allow them to use their Thrusters in other systems?

I (generally) take pretty good care of my gear - even when I was a teenager. Based solely on how long mine lasted - I don't suspect they had that long a lifespan. By contrast - the Radio Shack Minimus-7's that replaced them are still going -even after being used in my car. As you're talking - I remember doing exactly what you did - getting a pair of those gray & black Radio Shack RCA Cables & chopping off one end....ahhhh....memories (lol)

PS: One of my "upgrades" after the Minimus-7's were a pair of Technics SB-L50 3-Way Linear Phase Speakers. I don't know what your experience has been, but I thought when paired with my SA-303 Receiver they over-delivered - especially when placed at the quarter-points in the room.

thinker10
09-05-2013, 10:15 PM
I would try to make them play flat with a 31 bands Equalizer

Never know

Just kidding !!!

daviddeep
09-05-2013, 10:27 PM
PS: One of my "upgrades" after the Minimus-7's were a pair of Technics SB-L50 3-Way Linear Phase Speakers. I don't know what your experience has been, but I thought when paired with my SA-303 Receiver they over-delivered - especially when placed at the quarter-points in the room.

Funny, I just googled the Technics SB-L50 and I'm pretty sure that's the exact model I paired with my Panasonic SE-2510 all-in-one! My grandparents had a college student tenant at the time who suddenly had to return to his home overseas and he gave them his stereo equipment. Grandma was quite satisfied with her "Electro Brand" all-in-one turntable/AM/FM/8-track, so the equipment was offered to my dad and me. My dad took his Optonica receiver and Pioneer tape deck and I got the Technics speakers. They were a huge step up at the time, but I fairly quickly embarked on the "upgrade path," beginning with a Technics SA-919 receiver and Realistic LAB-2200 turntable.

Nat
09-07-2013, 08:01 AM
Never thought I'd be in the position of defending Thrusters, and my dedication to them isn't enough to make me read 7 pages of posts about them, so if all this has already been said, apologies.
But to appreciate Thrusters, you have to take into account their actual competition -- which was not Advents, KLHs, JBLs and so on, but Morse, Lloyds, Electrophonic, Longines Symphonette et al.
Compared to the usual 3 or 4 inch driver in a 1/4 inch fiberboard box (painted drivers or paper rings to look like drivers through the grill cloth optional), Thrusters provided much more bass, and since the amount (not quality) of bass is one of the first things that most people listen for, they sounded dramatically better. Later on they may have realized that the more extended bass was not matched on the high end by extended smooth treble, but its not as if the alternatives had such either.
I am not sure if the Thrusters passive radiator provided deeper bass than the port on the Zenith Allegros which were the high class console competition, but I think all of the Allegros were more expensive, and that may have been a good enough argument against them. (Incidentally the Allegro 3000 (I think that's the model), which looked rather like an Advent wannabe, is not a bad speaker.)

RJD257
09-07-2013, 08:35 AM
Never thought I'd be in the position of defending Thrusters...But to appreciate Thrusters, you have to take into account their actual competition -- which was not Advents, KLHs, JBLs and so on, but Morse, Lloyds, Electrophonic, Longines Symphonette et al...Compared to the usual 3 or 4 inch driver in a 1/4 inch fiberboard box...Thrusters provided much more bass...Later on they may have realized that the more extended bass was not matched on the high end by extended smooth treble, but its not as if the alternatives had such either...

Thrusters DO seem to be "red-headed-stepchild" or the "Cousin Oliver of The Brady Bunch" here on AK, and when compared to higher-end gear, some of that "poking" is well-deserved. I would agree that judged "apples-to-apples" with their peers at the same price point (essentially FREE with most lower end Panasonic stereos), they delivered better than expected. That may have been enough of a catalyst or "stepping stone" for some of us to pursue even better sounding gear (even RS's $49.99 Minimus-7's)