View Full Version : Realistic tape deck

Garrard201
12-19-2006, 06:53 PM
Hey everyone: I scored a Realistic SCT-29 cassette deck yesterday for 6 bucks. This might not sound like a big deal, but I REALLY needed a deck with 1/4" mic inputs, AND level controls, AND Dolby, AND 1/4" phones jack, and this thing is so simple I just love it. Sort of the "ugly but cute" syndrome.

Anyhow, it seems to work fine despite what looks like RUST on the screws. My only concern is that the capstan never stops spinning- just like in a reel to reel deck. Is this supposed to be happening?

AND, does anyone have a manual for this unit? How about some info on it's age? Opinions on its quality? I know it's no Nak, but....

Strawman
12-19-2006, 07:44 PM
The SCT-29 came out in 1982, listed for $160.00, had dolby B. I have an SCT-31 that needs belts replaced, hard to believe by looking at it, but it came out in '79 and listed for $430.00. Maybe I should give it a whirl during the x-mas break. :scratch2:

Fred Longworth
12-19-2006, 09:33 PM
On cassette decks where the capstan is always spinning, there is a HUGE failure rate on the capstan motor -- the life of which is based on commutator/brushes/bearing wear.

If you want to extend the life of the machine, go to the PLUS power lead to the motor (usually 12 volts DC) and run this to a simple SPST toggle switch, which you can mount on the frontpanel or on the top case.

Best,

Fred Longworth