View Full Version : Technics SL-QD33 TT

pioneervato
12-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Picked up a Technics SL-QD33 TT in excellent condition today for $25 at a local thrift store. Dust cover in excellent condition with no cracks. Plugged it in and the built in oscope says its dead on at both 33 and 45 speeds. The cartridge is an Audio Technica DC-20 that appears to be in excellent shape as well. Have not spun a record yet since I noticed it does not have a ground wire attached but just ordered one from the NeedleDoctor. Any thoughts on this turntable? Good, decent, crappy, etc.? This model is charcoal gray in color. :yes:

hakaplan
12-22-2006, 02:25 PM
Picked up a Technics SL-QD33 TT in excellent condition today for $25 at a local thrift store. Dust cover in excellent condition with no cracks. Plugged it in and the built in oscope says its dead on at both 33 and 45 speeds. The cartridge is an Audio Technica DC-20 that appears to be in excellent shape as well. Have not spun a record yet since I noticed it does not have a ground wire attached but just ordered one from the NeedleDoctor. Any thoughts on this turntable? Good, decent, crappy, etc.? This model is charcoal gray in color. :yes:
How can I put this gently...it's not top of the line. :D But for $25 how can you complain? Only thing I would caution you about is that while the stylus looks fine, you don't really know the level of wear. It's not a bad cart--.3 x .7 elliptical stylus. A replacement would cost another $25-30. I think it will make good music for you. My father-in-law has used the QD3, which is identical, but came out a year earlier, for over 20 years and it's served him well. Of course, he can't hear very well. :D

jazzwolf
12-22-2006, 03:16 PM

I used to own this turntable and gave it to my daughter and she still uses it. It is a nice reliable TT and it is Quartz drive so the speed is definitely "on". I always enjoyed it but you are limited to using P-Mount cartridges but it is a GREAT price for it.

pioneervato
12-22-2006, 03:37 PM
I used to own this turntable and gave it to my daughter and she still uses it. It is a nice reliable TT and it is Quartz drive so the speed is definitely "on". I always enjoyed it but you are limited to using P-Mount cartridges but it is a GREAT price for it.
I plan on giving this to my youngest daughter as a starter. I will test it out as soon as I get the ground wire I ordered for it and go from there. I checked online for replacement styli and found a replacement if it should need one. Thanks for your input. :yes:

Blue Meanie
12-22-2006, 05:52 PM
I plan on giving this to my youngest daughter as a starter. I will test it out as soon as I get the ground wire I ordered for it and go from there. I checked online for replacement styli and found a replacement if it should need one. Thanks for your input. :yes:

An excellent starter 'table for your daughter.:thmbsp:
Ordered a ground wire? Wouldn't any hunk of wire do?:scratch2:

Jeff

PeterFCassidy
12-22-2006, 06:38 PM
Actually, the spec's are excellent. Right up there with their TOTL decks. Check 'em out at:
http://www.vintagetechnics.com/turntables.htm

You walk with Analog Gods!

hakaplan
12-22-2006, 07:01 PM
An excellent starter 'table for your daughter.:thmbsp:
Ordered a ground wire? Wouldn't any hunk of wire do?:scratch2:

Jeff
I think it plugs into the back of the turntable, so the "official" ground wire has that plug.

Blue Meanie
12-22-2006, 07:40 PM
Actually, the spec's are excellent. Right up there with their TOTL decks. Check 'em out at:
http://www.vintagetechnics.com/turntables.htm

You walk with Analog Gods!

I'm sure it's a perfectly adequate performer. But if specs told the entire story, then many Technics 'tables would outperform many esoteric high-end turntables. Sound quality varies, specs be damned...:D

Jeff

Blue Meanie
12-22-2006, 07:42 PM
I think it plugs into the back of the turntable, so the "official" ground wire has that plug.

Thanks Howard.:thmbsp: Learn something new everyday!:yes:

Jeff

PeterFCassidy
12-22-2006, 08:52 PM
Right, it can't be good if it's not expensive. . . I've heard this before.

Technics (with their TTs anyway) is one of those outfits that proves that you don't need to float a bond issue to have high quality audio technology in your home. In fact, I dunno how many times I've read of audiophiles and plain old self-professed music junkies testify they'd gone through a number of turntables but when they got their paws on a Technics in good shape, and found a good cartridge for it, just stopped looking.

Peter

I'm sure it's a perfectly adequate performer. But if specs told the entire story, then many Technics 'tables would outperform many esoteric high-end turntables. Sound quality varies, specs be damned...:D

Jeff

Scorpion8
12-22-2006, 08:55 PM
Oddly enuff, there's an SL-QD33 near me that I may have to go "re-examine" now ....

jpciii
12-22-2006, 09:31 PM
I had the SL-QD35 for awhile and I regret giving it away. With a grado black, it sounded darn good. Mine was beat to hell but played flawlessly.

Blue Meanie
12-22-2006, 10:15 PM
Right, it can't be good if it's not expensive. . . I've heard this before.

Technics (with their TTs anyway) is one of those outfits that proves that you don't need to float a bond issue to have high quality audio technology in your home. In fact, I dunno how many times I've read of audiophiles and plain old self-professed music junkies testify they'd gone through a number of turntables but when they got their paws on a Technics in good shape, and found a good cartridge for it, just stopped looking.

Peter

No, specs alone do not always tell the whole story. I also did not mean to infer that expensive is always better. There are good and not so good 'tables at all price points.

One cannot be sure of sound quality without listening, IMO.
And I wasn't bashing Technics, either. My main 'table happens to be an SL-1800Mk2, with a Shure M97xE cart.

My main point was that just because the specs of many turntables may be equal, they don't all sound the same.

Jeff

stuckinthe70s
12-22-2006, 11:43 PM
I own one of these tables that I picked up last year at a flea market for $15. I never had anything else to compare it to at the time, but it seemed to sound good. I now use a SL1300MK2 as my primary table, and earlier this year after having a stylus mishap, I had to put the QD33 back into service for a while. I mounted a Pickering cart that I bought back in the early 80's and was quite surprised at the sound, it actually isn't a lot different than the 1300mk2 with a Shure V15III. Yes, the 1300 sounds better, just not a huge difference. The big difference is in the motor, on the QD33 the motor is so wimpy that you'll darn near stall it with the Audioquest brush! You just have to use really light pressure with the brush. But for the price it's definately a keeper as a backup. The quartz lock speed control is unbeatable.

absolon
12-23-2006, 01:42 AM
I had a QD-22 that came with the wife and it was a surprisingly good TT with the Stanton 737 it had mounted.

Don't remember where but ran across some info suggesting this series were very good value for the money. I got more than $50 for it without the cart when it moved out

pioneervato
12-27-2006, 01:41 AM
OK, so I got the "official" ground wire from the Needledoctor (fast shipping!) and hooked it up to my SX-1250, loaded up a Bruce Hornsby album, cleaned it with my Discwasher and watched the platter reach stable speed at the blink of an eye and dang....pretty good sound if you ask me. Wish the cueing could be adjusted to go down a little slower but for $25 it plays and sounds darn good and will make an excellent first TT for my daughter. It's in excellent condition and easy to operate and the quartz lock speed is dead on at both speed settings. I may have to look for another one for myself.

clearvasser
10-23-2010, 10:49 PM
While we are at it, I also purchased my 2nd QD33 recently that came with a AT/T-PT800 cartridge and stylus that sound fabulous ( to my elderly ears). I love this TT for sonic, appearance, and convenience reasons. My question is this: Is the dust cover of the QD33 interchangeable with other Technics TTs of the era? If so, what models would they be? The design of the cover hinge tabs on this TT are very breakable and a spare cover would be nice, and if I could find cover on a parts-only Technics TT (along with a ground wire), that would be great!!! thanks in advance for any help.

jleon92f
10-24-2010, 07:03 AM

I had one for a while, it worked and sounded great. The platter came up to speed Real fast and was constant. "P" mount cart so no fuss setup. I hard wired the ground inside on mine.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1439/5109865979_233cedca21.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/12113091@N02/5109865979/)
Great tt (http://www.flickr.com/photos/12113091@N02/5109865979/) by jleon92f (http://www.flickr.com/people/12113091@N02/), on Flickr

I found the Picture of mine, has since been gone to a new home.

Enjoy.
Thanks,
John.:music::D

Phloodpants
03-08-2012, 11:53 PM
Technics ground wires can be replaced with banana plugs! I was working on my SL-35QD today and made myself a 16-gauge ground wire with a nice gold-plated banana jack. On the other end, a ring terminal, with a bit cut out to make a hook-shaped terminal, and some shrink wrap. Looks great! But as it turns out, it hums with the ground connected, and not at all without it.

It's an excellent table. Cheaply made, but at the same time, so cleverly engineered as to make that a moot point.

jleon92f
03-09-2012, 06:31 AM

I had one and I am sad I had to sell it (picture above). Great! TT speed is dead on all the time. Locks in fast! You can run a permanent ground, just pop off the botome and you will see where.
I picked up (2) new ones...

Good luck.

soundman2
03-09-2012, 08:48 AM
I own one of these brilliant tables. I got it last year along with some other gear and I have recently changed the cartridge to a AT92ECD which I got on Ebay from America (not available here in UK). Yes, it's a P-mount, but with quartz-lock speeds it's amazing. A keeper I think.:yes::yes:

mackat
03-09-2012, 10:16 AM
I have one from a relative. Pretty nice.

Ben aka MacKat

tubemusic
02-05-2013, 04:44 PM
A guy at work brought this turntable and Technics SA-290 receiver. The TT functions well, as far as I can tell. Only thing, it needs a cartridge (Pickering TL-3 is on the unit) and the left hing is broken. Strange thing, the right side doesn't play on the turntable either. (for those that remember my last tt issue). So I will need to check it too. What is this "image posted" that is under the TT mat and the little plastic pieces stick through. One of the plastic piece looks broken. TT has a ground wire that I grounded to a preamp, then preamp to receiver, very little hum.

Haven't plugged up the receiver yet. It is very dirty. Actually, both are dirty.

Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

Andyman
02-05-2013, 04:52 PM
That TL-3 is a pretty nice Pickering cartridge. Check them out online; I think you'l be surprised.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=416959

I have a TL-4 with a DTL-4s stylus I need to audition someday. It came off a Dual 1229 I picked up.

jleon92f
02-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Hi, the SL-QD33 is one of my favorite tt's..

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7121/7481036554_ee9c364ce6.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/12113091@N02/7481036554/)
SL-QD33 and STR-7015 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/12113091@N02/7481036554/) by jleon92f (http://www.flickr.com/people/12113091@N02/), on Flickr

Full Auto..
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7135/7606647508_996b25c8f0.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/12113091@N02/7606647508/)
IMG_0620 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/12113091@N02/7606647508/) by jleon92f (http://www.flickr.com/people/12113091@N02/), on Flickr

Blue Meanie
02-05-2013, 06:37 PM
A guy at work brought this turntable and Technics SA-290 receiver. The TT functions well, as far as I can tell. Only thing, it needs a cartridge (Pickering TL-3 is on the unit) and the left hing is broken. Strange thing, the right side doesn't play on the turntable either. (for those that remember my last tt issue). So I will need to check it too. What is this "image posted" that is under the TT mat and the little plastic pieces stick through. One of the plastic piece looks broken. TT has a ground wire that I grounded to a preamp, then preamp to receiver, very little hum.

Haven't plugged up the receiver yet. It is very dirty. Actually, both are dirty.

Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

I could be wrong, as I don't own one. But I think the photo shows an automatic record size sensor. Hopefully, someone else can say for sure.

HTHMAN
02-05-2013, 08:39 PM
I had a couple of similar Technics turntables and they were fine performers even though they sem a little flimsy. I sold mine because of the limitations of the p-mount system. If you need a stylus for yours, you might consider just purchasing an AT92E cartridge. You can probably pick one up for under $20 and it is a fine performer.

boreas
02-05-2013, 10:17 PM
I could be wrong, as I don't own one. But I think the photo shows an automatic record size sensor. Hopefully, someone else can say for sure.

Yup! That's what it is. There should be holes in the mat that allow the little plastic fingers to poke through.

John

big-daddy-59
02-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Personally, if I meet someone at the thrifts or flea market who says "I'd like to get into vinyl, but I can't afford a $400 Pro-ject or Rega turntable" the first thing I recommend is that they look for a Technics direct drive P-mount table, specifically the QD33, since it was made until '96. If Technics still has the tooling, and if they could sell them at $299 and make a good profit, I think that the number of "what new budget turntable shall I get" threads here would decrease substantially if they brought back the QD33. And that's with them leaving it alone as a P-mount.

HTHMAN
02-06-2013, 12:45 PM
the first thing I recommend is that they look for a Technics direct drive P-mount table, specifically the QD33, since it was made until '96. If Technics still has the tooling, and if they could sell them at $299 and make a good profit, I think that the number of "what new budget turntable shall I get" threads here would decrease substantially if they brought back the QD33. And that's with them leaving it alone as a P-mount.

I agree. Even the belt drive versions were not bad. I had a SL-BD20 and a SL-B100. They were virtually identical under the hood, quite simple and performed quite well. Certainly the belt drive would be cheaper to produce since the motor would not be as critical. They were 90% plastic, so materials would be inexpensive. I do not understand why some company has not made a good budget turntable of this type.

tubemusic
02-08-2013, 05:13 AM
Are there any dust covers that are interchangeable? The left hinge is broken.

tubemusic
02-08-2013, 05:16 AM
I had a couple of similar Technics turntables and they were fine performers even though they sem a little flimsy. I sold mine because of the limitations of the p-mount system. If you need a stylus for yours, you might consider just purchasing an AT92E cartridge. You can probably pick one up for under $20 and it is a fine performer.

What is a "p-mount" system?

tubemusic
02-08-2013, 05:39 AM
The arm wants to "float" across the album. I adjusted the screw on the back of tone arm. I'll try to work with it when I get home from work.

boreas
02-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Are there any dust covers that are interchangeable? The left hinge is broken.

All of the dustcovers from that era for the charcoal P-mounts will fit. I think the ones for the silver ones will too.

John

tubemusic
02-08-2013, 04:38 PM
All of the dustcovers from that era for the charcoal P-mounts will fit. I think the ones for the silver ones will too.

John

I'm sorry, should have made myself clear. Dust cover for the turntable.

wualta
02-08-2013, 04:39 PM
What is a "p-mount" system?

It's the cartridge mounting system your QD33's tonearm uses, originally called T4P by Technics. Once the little holding screw on the side of the "headshell" is unscrewed, your Pickering simply unplugs-- you pull it straight out. Want to change to the Audio-Technica? just plug it in and screw in the holding screw. Done. No rebalancing, no realigning, no VTF changes to worry about. P-mount cartridges are standardized. Well, as close as anything in the analog era got to "standardized".

Blue Meanie
02-08-2013, 06:40 PM
I'm sorry, should have made myself clear. Dust cover for the turntable.

That's what he meant. :yes:

tubemusic
02-10-2013, 06:15 AM
Purchased a needle, getting ready to try it out. :thmbsp:

chadbang
11-30-2013, 05:51 PM
I just found one of these at a thrift store today. I opened it up expecting to find the usual technics trouble -- dried grease. But the lube was still nice and fresh. A clear gel. The moly type white grease was also fine. Then I looked at vintagetechnics.com and see these were made until 1996. I can see why. It's not an uber expensive rosewood and onix 100lb table, but it's construction is nice. The under chassis is some sort of composite that technics came up and the upper part of the chassis is that nice technics metal. The insides to the table are simple, yet that is its beauty -- few parts to break. I couldn't believe its a fully automatic table from its simplicty, which is always nice. It's a cheap table but elegantly designed. Came at the end of technics turntable days, so there was plenty of knowledge that went into it and what came out was a good sounding table for next to nothing. (well, it was $220 listing in 1986) today I grabbed mine for $12 and I'm sure theyre plentiful in thrift stores. It had a ten year prod. run. There must be hundred of thousands. Now I put a OM10 ortofon on it the arm... and it sound really good! I was VERY pleasantly surprised. It's absolutely a keeper as a starter table and, beyond, I think. 90 percent of people's systems it will work fine! A GREAT little budget table. How I love just hitting "play" and letting it go!

boreas
11-30-2013, 06:21 PM
Those are pretty nice tables. All you said about it is true except the upper portion is plastic.

John

chadbang
11-30-2013, 06:40 PM
Those are pretty nice tables. All you said about it is true except the upper portion is plastic.

John

You are correct, Sir. I should have put it in quotes "Technics metal," like "Mercedes leather" aka plastic! :music:

The suspension is also, well, nothing to write home about. A couple springs on rubber feet! I just opened it up again to hardwire a ground wire. I must say though, its nice only having to unscrew four feet and a screw to get inside. But listen again, it does put out a nice sound for the loot.