View Full Version : epi te 120 series speakers any good?

fisherlover
01-09-2007, 10:15 PM
i have a chance to buy these
for $40 in good condition
are they any good?
can't seem to find any info on them
thanks

thedelihaus
01-09-2007, 11:20 PM
The 120s are a step away from winslow Burhoe'soriginal, lovingly designed "module", that "module" being a carefully matched inverted dome tweeter and 8" woofer. The 120 uses a 10" woofer, "supposedly" in response to a customer desire for more bass than the 100s delivered, in a cabinet that was "relatively" small.

That doesn't mean it was a bad thing, and I dunno how winslow Burhoe felt about it. I just know the tweet/8" woofer was his originally, well-thought-out pairing.

Winslow Burhoe also said the T/E tweeter added later in the history of the company was not to his liking- I don't remember the exact wording, but let's just say he was not particularly positive about it.

That said, pre-T/E 120s have received good reviews by the folks I know who own them, but I cannot speak for the T/E models.

They may be very good as well.

If the tweeter proves to be an issue, I betcha a used pair of earlier tweeters could be substituted, maybe with a different cap needed, but maybe the caps are the same in the originals and the T/E models. I dunno as I've not had a 120 to look inside, original or T/E.

CUlater
01-09-2007, 11:28 PM
I can't say enough good things about my T/E series EPIs. I specifically have the T/E 120s as one of my main sets of speakers - the poly/foam woofers are fast (that is, if 'fast' means what I think it means when dem dare awdofiles sez it), yet well dampened. The bass goes low, and the highs go high. Compare favorably with the Large Advents.

Buy them. Buy them now.

(then, package them well and ship them to me. When I count to three, you will be fully awake and have no recollection of this conversation, but instead will be filled with an urgent desire to do my bidding. One...two...)

thedelihaus
01-09-2007, 11:30 PM
Is the T/E woofer driver in the 120 the same as the earlier EPI 120 woofer drivers?

The EPI woofers do not look impressive at all, but the sound is excellent. I was completely suprised by the delicate quality of the woofer. A very, very nice woofer.

CUlater
01-09-2007, 11:37 PM
Oh, and the HUMAN Speakers web site (www.humanspeakers.com (http://www.humanspeakers.com)) has a page with T/E 120 specs here (http://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epi-te120.htm).

Are you still here? What are you waiting for??? :D

CUlater
01-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Is the T/E woofer driver in the 120 the same as the earlier EPI 120 woofer drivers?

The EPI woofers do not look impressive at all, but the sound is excellent. I was completely suprised by the delicate quality of the woofer. A very, very nice woofer.

No, the T/E series introduced radically different drivers. The woofers have a clear-polymer-and-foam laminate cone (if nothing else, I think they are very cool looking:smoke: ), and the tweeters have dome polycarbonate drivers. In the case of the T/E 120, the woofer size is 10", like the original 120, and they are a large two way design, but that's about it for similarities.

Sweet sounding, in that respect they hold true to the original EPI design...

thedelihaus
01-10-2007, 12:05 AM
CUlater,

Got photos? I'd love to see those drivers. Are they the tallish series 2s or 3s? if so, much different than the original 120s.

I've seen some woofers that have a sheen to them, but are black underneath, on the T/E 70s. Could there have also been some shiny black 10" woofers in the series 1s, a possibly very early run of T/Es woofers?

I always liked the clear poly drivers in the Infinity rs9bs. sounds like these might look like 'em.

kfa888
01-10-2007, 12:17 AM
Paul, hit the link two posts up. Cool speakers.

I like everything vintage EPI i have heard. :thmbsp:

thedelihaus
01-10-2007, 12:37 AM
Yep, I had hit the link. It's of the series 2 and series 3. I wonder if the series 1 is the same?

merrylander
01-10-2007, 06:55 AM
The T/E series does benefit from adding a brace between the front and rear panels, just above the woofer, otherwise they can (and will) resonate on certain bass frequencies. That said they are still nice speakers.

Rob

Retro Stereo
01-10-2007, 07:25 AM
I have a pair of them and love them.

Retro

CUlater
01-10-2007, 08:40 AM
CUlater,

Got photos? I'd love to see those drivers. Are they the tallish series 2s or 3s? if so, much different than the original 120s.

I've seen some woofers that have a sheen to them, but are black underneath, on the T/E 70s. Could there have also been some shiny black 10" woofers in the series 1s, a possibly very early run of T/Es woofers?

I always liked the clear poly drivers in the Infinity rs9bs. sounds like these might look like 'em.

Paul,

Don't know about no series...:D However, your wish is my command...

Here's a shot of the 'original' (series 1?) EPI 120:
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3640/epi120bo1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

For comparison, here's a shot of the EPI T/E 120 (series 2? I dunno...):
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/2595/epite120si2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

As you can see, its as if EPI took the foam from the surround and just ran it on the backside of a clear poly cone all the way down to the VC former, so the woofer is actually a glossy foam grey. Whatever/however you describe it, it works for me! :yes:

The cabinets of the T/E are a little cheesy when compared to that of the original 120, so Rob's suggested bracing is a good idea. They are covered in an adequate woodgrain vinyl, and could use a nice, real veneer covering (one of these days...).

Come to think of it, I also have a pair of 'original' 120s down in the basement, I really aught to hook 'em up and do a comparison...so much equipment, so little time! :music:

Whitehall
01-10-2007, 11:07 AM
After they did away with the thin brass "piping" on the front, EPI lost all appeal to me.

rickon66
01-10-2007, 11:40 AM
I hope that they are good, I just bought a very nice set locally(just neeed foam). I can say more in a couple of days, when refoaming is complete.

kfa888
01-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Wonder how that tweeter sounds compared to the original inverted "airspring" tweeter which I really like?

fisherlover
01-10-2007, 04:31 PM
ok, i'll buy them and give them a shot
for 40 bucks what the heck

thedelihaus
01-10-2007, 06:42 PM
I look forward to your impressions.

There's lots of speakers out there that, even after the original design is abandoned, still sound great- I think of the Large Advent going to the Legacy, Prodigy, and Maestro design here- they get no respect, but they sound great.

As for the EPIs, I hold a lot of respect for Winslow Burhoe, and although he was less than pleased with the T/E tweeters, it doesn't make them bad- just different.

Heck, if all the great designers made their speakers sound the same- Kloss, Lansing, Burhoe, Klipsch, if all subscribed to the same theorys and practices of speaker design, I think we'd have a boring world.

rickon66
01-15-2007, 10:08 PM
Refoam job on mine just completed. I added some structural reinforcement while I had them open and the sound is pretty impressive for a low cost speaker. :banana:

fisherlover
01-15-2007, 10:17 PM
he sold them before i had a chance to find out more about them
i guess buy first and ask questions later
well anyway thanks guys for the info

dc270
01-16-2007, 09:39 AM
dkip

archie2
01-08-2009, 12:09 AM
The T/E series does benefit from adding a brace between the front and rear panels, just above the woofer, otherwise they can (and will) resonate on certain bass frequencies. That said they are still nice speakers.

Rob

The EPI 280TE has a passive radiator and scrunches the woofer pretty close to the tweeter. http://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epi-te280.htm
Would you still place the brace between the woofer and tweeter or somewhere else, maybe between the woofer and PR? Mine do have an annoying bass resonance that I'd like to eliminate.