View Full Version : HELP ! Need Opinions on SP-X9700 Speakers ?

Mikeymax
01-15-2007, 08:19 AM
Greetings , I've found a really nice pair of SANSUI SP-X9700 Speakers for sale from the ORIGINAL owner , an older gentleman in the neighborhood offered them to me but he didn't know how much he wanted for em' ?:scratch2: So far unable to fully test them out but all drivers seem to be working (via 9 volt battery test). I thought I would team them with a pair of Pioneer CS-903's and power them by either a 8080DB or a Pioneer SX-1010 ?:scratch2: But I guess that's not so important right now , I was just hoping someone in the know could chime in with any opinions on these LARGE Sansui's ? :yes: I don't believe Sansui is to reconized for there great speakers but I've got a couple pair of vintage Sansui speakers that sound fairly good to me. But what about the SP-X9700's ? I was planning on making him an offer for them later today or tomorrow ? :scratch2: Thanks GREAT ONES for any input.:thmbsp:

shrinkboy
01-15-2007, 09:15 AM
there are PLENTY of better speakers out there than these. just keep looking for acoustic research, jbl, altec-lansing, etc. you don't want a noise maker, you want a speaker

gener8tr
01-15-2007, 10:31 AM
I like Sansui speakers, myself, and if they are in near mint condition I would offer $100.00 (or less if you can get away with it) and see what he thinks. I've seen them sell for much more, but that is a good starting place.

If you like rock music, you can't go wrong with these old beasts, and the design just cries out 70's retro. That's what I love the most.

I can tell you this (in case you have not tried)... Sansui speakers do NOT go well with Pioneer receivers... and I don't know why? I have a pair of SP-X7's that sound great with my AU-317, but sound horrible with my SX-1050. I also have a little pair of SP-30's that sounded good when I tested them on my AU-317, but teamed with my Pioneer SX-626 they just don't sound right???

Army
01-15-2007, 10:49 AM
I've owned several of the Sansui speakers, SP-2500X, SP-5500X, SP-X9900 and I'm with shrinkboy as far as sound quality. There are a number of better sounding speakers in the same price range.

The SP-2500 were better than the bigger Sansui models IMO but still not to my liking once I found a pair of Advents and AR's after trying the Sansui's.

If you like loud rock music and not much else the Sui's will be to your liking.

Mikeymax
01-15-2007, 02:51 PM
I've owned several of the Sansui speakers, SP-2500X, SP-5500X, SP-X9900 and I'm with shrinkboy as far as sound quality. There are a number of better sounding speakers in the same price range.

The SP-2500 were better than the bigger Sansui models IMO but still not to my liking once I found a pair of Advents and AR's after trying the Sansui's.

If you like loud rock music and not much else the Sui's will be to your liking.
Yes , they would be playin' pretty "LOUD". :yes: Mostly "HARDER" ROCK , 60's PSYCHEDELIA , OLDER "PROGRESSIVE" 70'S ROCK , JAZZ & BLUES ! :yes: I brought a early 80's Pioneer SA-950 integrated amp over to audition them and all drivers were working fine. Cosmeticly they look GREAT ! and he said I could have em' for $50 bux cause he needed the space. :scratch2: A pair just sold (U know where ) for $349.00 plus $70.00 shipping. So for $50 bux , just down the street , I think my addiction will get the best of me. :yes: They sounded decent but I could not really crank em up but I guess I was just hoping , IF SANSUI made a GREAT pair of speakers ? THESE MIGHT BE THEM. I have a pair of SP-2500X's that I like so I thought these might sound better but that may not be the case here. Hmmm?:scratch2: Does Sansui make a GREAT sounding speaker ? Or is there a known favorite ? Thanks again !:thmbsp:

Mikeymax
01-15-2007, 03:26 PM
I like Sansui speakers, myself, and if they are in near mint condition I would offer $100.00 (or less if you can get away with it) and see what he thinks. I've seen them sell for much more, but that is a good starting place.

If you like rock music, you can't go wrong with these old beasts, and the design just cries out 70's retro. That's what I love the most.

I can tell you this (in case you have not tried)... Sansui speakers do NOT go well with Pioneer receivers... and I don't know why? I have a pair of SP-X7's that sound great with my AU-317, but sound horrible with my SX-1050. I also have a little pair of SP-30's that sounded good when I tested them on my AU-317, but teamed with my Pioneer SX-626 they just don't sound right???
BUMMER :tears: I had actually hoped to pair the SP-X9700's with a pair of Pioneer CS-903's (probably because with the grills off they look similar) and both like being played Loud. I guess both the Pioneer CS-903's and the Sansui SP-X9700's would be considered just LOUD VINTAGE NOISEMAKERS. I had wanted some BIG UN's to hook to my new Pioneer SX-1010 but I guess that's out.:scratch2: So I guess to better appreciate the 9700's I'd have to pair them with my 8080DB. I guess I'm just trying to justify these big ol' Sansui's. PERIOD :scratch2: Thanks all !

Army
01-15-2007, 03:28 PM
Yes Sansui did in fact make a very good sounding speaker series LX if memory serves. But they are rare as hens teeth!

You can't beat the deal you got on the 9700's and when you get the upgrade bug again you'll make a buck or two :thmbsp:

nosirrah
01-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Hey Army,
Maybe you mean LM series?
They seem to be rare, the LM stood for "linear motion" I think...I have a set in deep storage.
Casey

Army
01-15-2007, 08:07 PM
Yeah that the series I was think of, thanks Casey :thmbsp:

Stene
01-16-2007, 01:48 PM
Yes Sansui did in fact make a very good sounding speaker series LX if memory serves. But they are rare as hens teeth!

I guess you mean LM-110/220/330 :thmbsp: but don't forget SPL series which in my opinion is far much better. :music:

Mikeymax
01-18-2007, 02:22 PM

You can't beat the deal you got on the 9700's and when you get the upgrade bug again you'll make a buck or two :thmbsp:
Good deal indeed. Because I ended up getting the pair for $20.00.:banana: The ol' gentelman said , how about $20 for them because he said the top 3 1 inch mini super tweets were not working and he wanted them outta there pronto ! I said hmmm?:scratch2: because these SP-X9700's range is suppose 22 - 23.000 hz ? Anyway , I said sure , gave him $20 bux , took em' home , sprayed some cleaner on the 3 way speaker sound selector switch and VIOLA ! all driver's work fine. :yes: Just for the time being I'm driving the SP-X9700's and a pair of Pioneer CS-903 with a Pioneer SX-1010 beefed w/Pioneer EQ and all I can say is , Sonicly it may not be the best sounding combo of gear around. :scratch2: BUT I can't even get the volume control past 10 o'clock and it's too much ! Definitly one way of feeling like I was 22 again for sure ! :yes: :thmbsp:

CUlater
01-18-2007, 02:37 PM
Hey Army,
...I have a set in deep storage.
Casey

"Deep Storage". What a nice euphemism. I'll have to remember to use that phrase instead of 'the storage unit' - maybe that won't set the wife off as badly! :banana:

Thumpy
01-18-2007, 09:21 PM
"Deep Storage". What a nice euphemism. I'll have to remember to use that phrase instead of 'the storage unit' - maybe that won't set the wife off as badly! :banana:
I call mine "The Annex"!

Mikey, ya got a good deal on the 'Suis, but I agree with most others that the sound leaves a little (okay, maybe a lot) to be desired. Give 'em a good listen and enjoy 'em. When you find something better, you can use the proceeds from the sale of the SP-X9700s to fund your new speaker purchase.