View Full Version : why are the old fisher speakers worthless?

fisherlover
01-15-2007, 08:29 PM
seems no one bidding or buying these much
i wanted an old pair (60's) to match my fisher 400 receiver
are they bad sounding ?
anyone using these with fisher tube receivers ?

2DualsNotEnough
01-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Ive gotten several pairs of Fisher speakers from the 60's given to me,and Ive yet to find a pair I enjoyed listening to.I know theres one from that time thats supposed to be good(X-1 or something like that).
Some companies are good at electronics,some are good at speakers.There are very few that are good at both,IMHO.
Jimmy

Fisherdude
01-15-2007, 09:05 PM
Well, there's more than a simple answer here.

First, there are basically three different eras of Fisher speakers.

Third and last, anything from the end of the Fisher brand run, during the 1980's Sanyo era, has no collector value whatsoever. This includes any speakers that start with ST or STV.

Prior to this period, there are some very high-quality speakers, and some very ordinary speakers. The various model numbers don't always tell you everything you need to know, so you can usually rely on the old standard tests: If it's heavy, and it has real walnut veneer, it's worth a try.

The bookshelf sized ones pretty much follow the above guidelines. The floor model "Consolette" line are all very good speakers. This would include any speaker from the XP-10 to the XP-18.

Here may be one of the main reasons vintage Fisher speakers are not sought after, especially if you compare the sound to current speakers. The legend is that Avery Fisher insisted on personally "voicing" all of the speakers. Apparently his personal preference was a very warm sound, one that today would be considered to have very rolled off highs. At the time it drove his engineers nuts. So, if you're willing to swap out the tweeters for something more current, ideally with a silk dome tweeter to at least stay faithful to the era, you might find a very lovely sound. And, at a very low price!

outlawmws
01-15-2007, 09:45 PM
OK, I'm also curious about a very early set of speakers I have from Fisher. Fisher KS-1 model.

Fairly flat boxes, blondish wood, So Iím guessing late 50ís early 60ís I have a pair of them, and the grill covers have that rattan sort of look.

I doubt they were earlier, as there were two, so I'm assuming the stereo ere at least.

The mids were placed in a cardboard can, with a tin cap on it, and the box had insulation in it.

Any info on this model?

Roypercy
01-16-2007, 12:27 AM
I've always found the Fisher XP models to be very nice. I had a pair of XP-55Bs that were a good-sounding 2-way with 8" woofer, and I'm currently running XP-7B's, a three-way, five-speaker system. The highs are a bit rolled off, but that doesn't bother me too much as the mids and lows a re extremely pleasing. depends on the sound you want to hear. I'm about to recap the XP-7B's and will report back on whether it changed the sound.

Very well-made speakers, good construction.

hakaplan
01-16-2007, 12:50 AM
I too have a pair of XP-55B and XP-55 as well as XP-9C and find them all to be pleasing to the ear and very well made. And I agree that they do have a warm sound.

rackmount
01-16-2007, 12:56 PM
I love the Fisher XP18, sooo cool:smoke: , I would kill to get my hot little hands on a pair!:D

Nick_the_'Nole
01-16-2007, 01:05 PM
I quite like my pair of XP-56 bookshelves. Highs are rolled off a bit, midrange was also a little prominent when I got 'em, but that was fixed with a new crossover cap. Good bass response, complements nicely with the Paradigm Atoms I keep stacked on top of 'em.

Eunomians
01-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Funny, I saw a pair of very very heavy (solid?) wood Fisher speakers with unremoveable wood lattice grills for $20 yestrerday. There was no way to test them. They appeared to be in nice shape. Did I mention that they were very heavy?

I've always stayed away from Fisher speakers 'cause I heard they're crap.

I can't recall what model they were but they were abou the same size and weight as the AR-3a

SPL db
01-16-2007, 02:41 PM
The floor model "Consolette" line are all very good speakers. This would include any speaker from the XP-10 to the XP-18.

I have a pair of the XP-9s... would you say these were close but no cigar?

Scott

Kamakiri
01-16-2007, 02:43 PM

Third and last, anything from the end of the Fisher brand run, during the 1980's Sanyo era, has no collector value whatsoever. This includes any speakers that start with ST or STV.

Prior to this period, there are some very high-quality speakers, and some very ordinary speakers. The various model numbers don't always tell you everything you need to know, so you can usually rely on the old standard tests: If it's heavy, and it has real walnut veneer, it's worth a try.

The bookshelf sized ones pretty much follow the above guidelines. The floor model "Consolette" line are all very good speakers. This would include any speaker from the XP-10 to the XP-18.

Here may be one of the main reasons vintage Fisher speakers are not sought after, especially if you compare the sound to current speakers. The legend is that Avery Fisher insisted on personally "voicing" all of the speakers. Apparently his personal preference was a very warm sound, one that today would be considered to have very rolled off highs. At the time it drove his engineers nuts. So, if you're willing to swap out the tweeters for something more current, ideally with a silk dome tweeter to at least stay faithful to the era, you might find a very lovely sound. And, at a very low price!

That's a really interesting slant. I ditched a pair of small Fishers for that exact same reason. Think they were 100's. I was left completely unimpressed.

And, based on your info, this would make a highly interesting experiment.....

Fisherdude
01-16-2007, 05:43 PM
I found the specs on the KS-1. I've got to run off to a meeting, but I'll be back later tonight.

ciao!

Damage
01-16-2007, 06:23 PM
I have a pair of the XP-9s... would you say these were close but no cigar?

Scott

Not even close. We're talking about speakers that are 2-3 feet tall and just as wide.

http://fastmustangs.com/images/speakers/fisher

Rybeam
01-16-2007, 07:15 PM
I have been using a Pair of XP-10's as my main speakers for about six months. The "rolled off" highs are very pleasing and smooth in a hard room, but they can scream in a pair of 47 year old ears. Bass goes without question with a 15 inch woofer running off a 200 Hz cross over point with an 8 inch mid range. I put them up off the floor about 10 inches and wow ! 82 pounds of solid, walnut veneer, separate box for the mid range, it and the tweeter are on a second baffle set back about an inch to protect the large 2" dome tweeter. Dated 1965, all original. Using a SX-950 to run them. Full fidelity at a whisper, will shake the couch if desired. Best part, I gave $40 for the pair.

SPL db
01-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Not even close. We're talking about speakers that are 2-3 feet tall and just as wide.

http://fastmustangs.com/images/speakers/fisher

Wow! Those are nice! :yes: :thmbsp:

Scott

Army
01-16-2007, 07:27 PM
I picked up a pair of XP-66B's this noon, gave them a quicky listen and first impression :scratch2: not too bad!

Heavy suckers and pretty walnut cabs :thmbsp:

Are the grills glued on?

phredphones
01-16-2007, 07:37 PM
I will chime in with my appreciation for the XP 55s bookshelf - a good looking entry level two way system. Plus, with my sansui 7010 I could get a very good sound from them. My daughter just put them on the sidewalk the other day, seems one of the speakers didn't work any longer. Ah youth. Next!

kbott
01-16-2007, 07:45 PM
I'm anxiously waiting my lesson in the basic techniques of soldering and recapping to bring these back to life

Damage
01-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Wow! Those are nice! :yes: :thmbsp:

Scott

I'm glad they come with wheels. I had to let the 1969 air out of one to fix a terminal. I tried to find replacement air but was unable to find any.

outlawmws
01-16-2007, 08:34 PM
I'm glad they come with wheels. I had to let the 1969 air out of one to fix a terminal. I tried to find replacement air but was unable to find any.

How about from the original spare tire from a 1969 car or truck? :scratch2:

:D

tankdonovan
01-16-2007, 09:11 PM
I have a pair of XP-7Cs that I really like. Just the right amount of bass. They look good, too. Also have a pair of ST-830s that I think has a little to much boom. They have 15 inch woofers.

That`s all the Fishers I have.

And I would not call them worthless!

TankDonovan

Fisherdude
01-16-2007, 10:47 PM
Ok, on the KS-1's:

Apparently, as is the case with the KX-100 & KX-200 integrated amps and the KX-60 tuner, "K" means "Kit". Yep, this was available as a kit. There was also a KS-1A and a KS-2A, but I don't believe they were kits.

KS-1:

Freq. Resp: 40-18,500 kHz.

Woofer: 10", butyl-coated surrounds, free air resonance 35 Hz.

Mid: 5"

Tweeter: 3"

Crossover points are 1,400 & 2,500 Hz.

8 ohms.

18" X 24" X 5 3/4". 26 lbs.

Walnut or birch.

Based on what I could find, I would assume these were fairly inexpensive, and wouldn't be considered in the same class as the XP series. The marketing text refers to its "moderate cost".

Damage
01-16-2007, 11:14 PM
I have a 69 Mustang with an original spare tire. I don't think it has the original air in it, but it shure smelt like it! :stupid:

How about from the original spare tire from a 1969 car or truck? :scratch2:

:D

outlawmws
01-16-2007, 11:51 PM
I have a 69 Mustang with an original spare tire. I don't think it has the original air in it, but it shure smelt like it! :stupid:

Nope Too old! its spoilt! :D

Fisherdude, thanks a bunch, that is 100X the info I had before! :thmbsp:

fisherlover
01-17-2007, 12:05 AM
thanks for the recap on them
well i didn't mean they are worthless
not to me anyway
i really like the old XP designs and they do match the old fisher receivers and amps
hopefully i can find a pair locally(rochester,n.y.)
hey if i don't like the way they sound
i can always swap the innards

merrylander
01-17-2007, 07:58 AM
I guess the comment about the STVs is correct, saw a pait in a pawnshop, cases were nice as were the grills. Fifteen inch woofer, about a four inch mid and a 2-1/2 inch tweeter. Fifty bucks for the pair, but then I rapped on the back panel and they rang like a bell. Thanks, but no thanks.

Rob

outlawmws
01-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Fisherdude,

You didn't happen any dates for these did you? :scratch2:

Ok, on the KS-1's:

Apparently, as is the case with the KX-100 & KX-200 integrated amps and the KX-60 tuner, "K" means "Kit". Yep, this was available as a kit. There was also a KS-1A and a KS-2A, but I don't believe they were kits.

KS-1:

Freq. Resp: 40-18,500 kHz.

Woofer: 10", butyl-coated surrounds, free air resonance 35 Hz.

Mid: 5"

Tweeter: 3"

Crossover points are 1,400 & 2,500 Hz.

8 ohms.

18" X 24" X 5 3/4". 26 lbs.

Walnut or birch.

Based on what I could find, I would assume these were fairly inexpensive, and wouldn't be considered in the same class as the XP series. The marketing text refers to its "moderate cost".

dat521gatherer
04-01-2007, 03:14 AM
i have a xp-9 and love it. the highs are warm but thats what the treble knob is for. my problem is with the woofers they need more bass. i want to find a similar size woofer to try without cab modification. i just love that utility style cab and the grill too. i have a single and need a match!!

gyusher
04-01-2007, 04:27 AM
I have a mint pair of XP60s that I like. . .

I have heard that the "XP" series were designed for solid state amps hence the X in the model number. . ,.

Fisherdude
04-01-2007, 05:39 AM
Actually the XP series speakers go back almost to the beginning. The XP-1, XP-2, and XP-4 speakers appear in the 1962 Handbook, when the 500B and 800B were being sold.

Fisherdude
04-01-2007, 05:54 AM
Outlaw, I just realized I missed your last question.

The KS-1 appears in the 1963 Handbook, but not the 1962.

The KS-2 appears in the 1968 Handbook.

OLDTIMESOUND
04-01-2007, 07:39 AM
i have a pair of xp7c. i mated them with my klh model5. it has that warm east coast sound. these were being trashed by a old lady near my sons school.i also had a pair of original xp7. the original could not compete with the c version.

macaltec
04-01-2007, 10:44 AM
I have 2 sets of ST-530's. Seen here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90170&highlight=Fisher+ST-530%3B+spent+day+Thanksgiving

The cabs match the heavy as hell and covered in walnut veneer criteria. Anyone have anynore input on them?

mhardy6647
04-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Actually the XP series speakers go back almost to the beginning. The XP-1, XP-2, and XP-4 speakers appear in the 1962 Handbook, when the 500B and 800B were being sold.

Umm... Fisher dates back quite a-ways before 1962...

basicblues
04-01-2007, 12:06 PM
I have a set of Fisher XP-7B's that I intend to sell soon, have no idea what they are worth but I thought they sounded decent and the they are built well. I collected so much gear so fast that I never get a chance to use all of it so I am going to scale it all down to a more manageable level.

theblackknight
04-01-2007, 01:07 PM
Fisher speakers that start with a DS are also worthless crap. I had a pair of DS-826, and they looked nice, had white cones, and stuff, but sounded JUST PLAIN AWFUL. Im serious, it was just hideous. The tweets distorted on ALL of the highs.

I donated them to GW, as one of the woofers was shot(rattled like hell at anything over 2wpc), because I cranked up my SX-939 on them.(the rating on the speaks was 100wpc too. pio is 75wpc. wierd, huh?)

outlawmws
04-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Outlaw, I just realized I missed your last question.

The KS-1 appears in the 1963 Handbook, but not the 1962.

The KS-2 appears in the 1968 Handbook.

Thank you FD!

Ed in SoDak
04-01-2007, 01:32 PM
I don't even remember who gave me an orphan XP7B, but it's definitely a well-made speaker. Butyl rubber surround 12" woofer with 40 oz. magnet, good 5" mid and nothin' special cone tweeter.

I bought a pair of XP7 speakers thinking they were similar. Similar size and style cabinet is about all that's comparable. The cloth edge woofers have alnico magnets. The midranges look identical to what was used in typical tube-powered table top radios. The tweeters are the early fried egg domes. Unusual crossover wiring, the woofer was in reverse polarity to the mids and tweeter. I'd check polarity of these compared to any other speaker you might be using at the same time.

Both the fried egg tweeters were bad. I think about 90% or more of all of them will have failed by now. There is a latex rubber "octopus" used as suspension that will have rotted or hardened. It's held in place by a strip of strapping tape that will have dried out. Expect glue failures also and a good chance of coil damage if they have been overdriven. This may explain the muted highs everyone's noticing.

The XP7 speaker seems well-suited to a tube amp. It could not handle a high-powered SS amp without bottoming very easily.

The XP7B version, however, is a much-improved speaker and sounds great. The XP9 version has an extra midrange, the XP7 has the same front panel, the empty hole is blocked off with a hardboard blank.

With some driver upgrades and crossover mods, the early versions can be brought up to more modern standards.

The grilles are held in place by narrow staples, one in each corner and in the center of the sides.

-Ed

tankdonovan
04-01-2007, 01:55 PM
The Fisher XP-7C: Five-Speaker, Four-Way, Full-Size Speaker System

12" woofer
5 3/4" lower mid-range
5 3/4" upper mid-range
Two 3" tweeters
Three-position treble acoustic balance control
Frequency Response: 30-20,000 Hz
Walnut Cabinet / Dimensions: 24 1/2" w x 14" h x 11 7/8" d
Weight: 40 lbs.

As I said before these are really nice speakers.:yes:

TankDonovan

EVBoy
04-01-2007, 02:22 PM
I have two pairs of Fisher XP-9's. They are high quality, well built speakers. One pair sounds good while the other sounds dull and muddy. I've heard XP-7's that sound dull and muddy also. It may be that old Fishers are more prone to capacitor problems than other brands and that is why many have a bad rep.
I think the XP series and the older models are the only ones that are collectible. When you find them they are usually dirt cheap

Fisherdude
04-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Umm... Fisher dates back quite a-ways before 1962...

Yes, I know. 1937. But, Fisher didn't really become commercially successful and well-known until the 1950's, and that was still the monaural era. The beginning of the availability of stereo receivers, even the AM-FM dual channel attempts, marks the beginning of Fisher's "modern era". That's when the annual Handbooks came out, and pretty much marks the beginning of their consumer speaker lines.

Not that the TA-500 isn't a great receiver.

tankdonovan
04-01-2007, 04:45 PM
I almost forgot about a pair of XP-60Cs that I have in my stereo grave yard. They are well built like the XP-7Cs. Look real good but I think the capacitors are gone. They have the dull/muddy sound.

Like EVBoy said when you find them they are "dirt cheap".

I would like to find a pair of XP-16s with 2 12" woofers and the XP-18s with a 18" woofer. Both 5 speaker, 4-way system. They weight in at 105 lbs. each.

TankDonovan

bruhl
04-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Hello, I have a pair of st-750 Fishers. They are very heavy. However they do in fact sound quite good.

I am comparing them to ohm c2, dynaco A-35, KLH 20 and some new Sony.

They don't sell for much on EBay, but I am the original owner, so my cost was long ago!!!

Mike

shocley
04-01-2007, 10:37 PM
My experience with Fisher XP-7's is that they're nasal, and that's after recapping the crossover and replacing the tweeter with an EPI inverted dome (which actually seemed to help the sound). I couldn't get into the original Fisher orange dome tweeter to replace the black rubber "octopus" - the tweeter is housed in a hunkin' piece of steel bent into a flange shape and looks impregnible.

The XP-7B is likely an order of magnitude better than the XP-7. It's a shame, really, because the XP-7 radiates quality. Maybe using an equalizer to attenuate the 1 KHz band (or thereabouts) will help. That approach seems to work for another pair of nasal old-timers I have, Pioneer CS-77's.

Ed in SoDak
04-02-2007, 02:12 PM
The tweeters in mine have thin metal caps covering the sides of the magnet. Thinly glued, they pop or pry off with a knife blade, but bend easily. That gets you to the guts.

I did a pictorial over in the DIY forum awhile back. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29787 When redoing mine, I added a pot to turn down the mids and replaced the domes with a used pair out of Yamaha NS-25's. I think the XP7 crossover needs replaced or redesigned, something beyond just a recap. The one in the B model seems much better.

-Ed

m58dh
04-02-2007, 02:35 PM
I have a pair of the XP-60's that I used in my bedroom. I was powering them with my Marantz 2230 (modified by Ezekiel). They sounded fantastic even though I had them sitting on the ground. I recently moved them to my sound room system at church, I'm using them there with my Marantz 2245 to cue up music, listen to songs for service, dub tapes etc. My pair are in mint condition and are beautiful!

Wigwam Jones
04-02-2007, 02:47 PM
I have a pair of XP-56's. I use them A/B switched with Klipsch KG2's. They do not have the bass response of the Klipsch speakers, that's for sure. They sound to me like my KLH 6's, a bit less bass response than even those. They may have a rolled-off top end, I don't know - but I find them smooth and even and non-tiring. Really relaxing to listen to, is all I can say.

I bought mine at a SA for $5. I do miss those days - nobody cared for "The Fisher" XP series speakers, so they went for next to nothing. Now they're cult classics.

GordonW
04-02-2007, 02:49 PM
My experience with Fisher XP-7's is that they're nasal, and that's after recapping the crossover and replacing the tweeter with an EPI inverted dome (which actually seemed to help the sound). I couldn't get into the original Fisher orange dome tweeter to replace the black rubber "octopus" - the tweeter is housed in a hunkin' piece of steel bent into a flange shape and looks impregnible.

That's been my experience too, trying other similar "tricks" to try and improve them.

Had a customer bring in a pair of XP7s, that he got, planning to use them with a 400 receiver. No matter what I did, I couldn't get them to sound as good as a pair of KLH Model 20s we had. So, he wound up buying the KLHs!

Regards,
Gordon.

BobK101
04-02-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm anxiously waiting my lesson in the basic techniques of soldering and recapping to bring these back to life

Do you have to replace or re foam the pie pan? Is that for real?

Yamaha Nutz
04-02-2007, 10:33 PM
I had a set of circa late 60's 3-ways w/kane grills, but they lacked response and couldn't handle the input load I was generating. Just not a hi-fi speaker system IMO.

ab0ez
08-01-2009, 02:27 AM
Picked up a pair of XP-10's from the original owner who bought them in 1968. Paid $60 for the pair. My experience was typical, rolled off high end, nothing spectacular. I recapped them (50uF and 4uF). Big improvement, but still rolled off. I removed the dome tweeters and replaced them with a pair of EV T-35 tweeters. Wow! Totally transformed the speakers. I am pretty impressed with their sound now. Vocals are totally neutral and natural, no false heaviness. Bass is tight. Highs are very nice without being harsh. Now I am looking for a pair of XP-18's!

rifftrax
08-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Had a pair of XP1a's that sounded bloody lovely with orchestral works. Anything pop tended to be way way too far forward for vocals (had the obnoxious 'shoutiness' and presence of many speakers in that era (1960's). I eventually sold them but I have to admit that the cabs were constructed immaculately!

gkimeng
08-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Had a pair of XP1a's that sounded bloody lovely with orchestral works. Anything pop tended to be way way too far forward for vocals (had the obnoxious 'shoutiness' and presence of many speakers in that era (1960's). I eventually sold them but I have to admit that the cabs were constructed immaculately!
From what I recall of Avery Fisher's reputation in the 60's. I would be very surprised if he ever deliberately listened to any pop music.

TNorth22
08-09-2009, 12:48 PM
I've got a pair of mint ST-828s that I got for cheap. I think they don't get enough cred. I won't say they are the most amazing set out there but if you see a pair in nice condition out there for less that $50-60 bucks I would say go for it. They do have a nice warmer open sound that sounds pretty good with any type of pop or jazz. The bass is actually pretty tight. However with these you have absolutely no need to engage the loudness button. With the 15" woofer this makes them get a bit too boomy. A bonus is the material they used on the woofer surround is bulletproof and never degrades.

superdog
08-09-2009, 01:40 PM
I had a very nice pair of XP55bs.I would have passed on these for $15 but they were in such beautiful condition.Very nice sounding speaker and wish I had kept.They got passed on along with some bookshelf Utahs to someone that was looking for some speakers for his van.The problem I had was I was looking for more than the speaker had to offer.Now I know better.

steerpike2
08-09-2009, 01:53 PM
& I have a pair of STE1200, which sound very good; but they seem to be very rare & were quite costly when new - to quote another AK'er "more than 3 times that of a Yamaha NS1000M."

There more talk of desirable fisher speakers here http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=136880

wineslob
08-09-2009, 02:15 PM
why are the old fisher speakers worthless?

Some of them have pretty boxes, but that's about it.......

rifftrax
08-09-2009, 03:03 PM
I've got a pair of mint ST-828s that I got for cheap. I think they don't get enough cred.

It is typically pretty easy to do better than the 80's fisher offerings. If you were to pop off the woofer (appears to be a 18"?) you would find small magnets, stamped baskets, cheap crossovers, a complete lack of dampening material, and likely particleboard cabinets. The quality of the sound was never a prime concern of the company once it parted from the hands of Avery Fisher.

I'm sure they do produce plenty of bass though. TBH, the funnest time with speakers I ever remember having was at a friend's house where he had a pair of the ST series with 12" woofers in them being powered by a Harmon Kardon PM645 (I gave him the setup because I hate seeing people without at least a semblance of a proper stereo). He played a particular Xbox 360/microsoft demonstration video and cranked the volume and the entire house just shook like it was going to fall to pieces the SPL was so high. The system was just blasting like it could have taken 10x the punishment...nothing even really sounded very distorted. After the video ended we just turned to each other and started busting up laughing. I thought for sure those Fisher ST's were going to explode or melt a voice-coil or something, but somehow they managed to take a severe beating pretty well. God, that was funny.

You have to take the 80's fisher stuff for what it was - a fun throwaround speaker that you could probably even DJ a huge party with but should not rely on for imaging or soundstage or tonal accuracy...

gkimeng
08-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Fisher products pre-1969, when Avery Fisher still owned the company, were well-built, higher priced products for their time, but reflected Fisher's own listening preferences (warm voicing that favors classical music). Most products built during this period were built to this same sort of builder-preference model, so when you went out to compare products by Fisher, Scott, Pilot, Sherwood, Harman/Kardon, AR, JBL, etc., there were definite differences and you picked what suited your own personal taste.

Fisher products made after Fisher sold the company reflect the "mass market" goals of the company's buyer, Emerson Electric (later followed by Sanyo), whose consumer products at the time mainly consisted of table radios and TVs of lower quality and price points than Fisher's. So in one fell swoop, the company's products lost both their sonic personality and their reputation for high quality. A similar fate befell many of Fisher's competitors, who today tend to exist either in the same way Fisher does (as brand names for low-end products that tend to look and sound alike) or not at all. Only a very small number have managed to preserve some prestige for their brand names, usually by spinning off higher-end variants.

ellconi
08-11-2009, 12:18 AM
I seem to have misplaced the free air resonance formula for an aluminum pie pan.:

seabisquit2
09-20-2009, 07:18 PM
I love my little XP56's they work well with my pristine Marantz 2270 they push the itunes out of my 24" IMac.. Love it, love it, love it!!!

larryderouin
10-28-2009, 11:45 PM
I've got a set of XP-55b's running off my SX-790 in the bedroom. Very nice, warm like everyone else says. Tames the brightness of the 790 down. Got a line on what the lady says are XP-5's. They look good on the pic.

What I'd really like to get is a couple of sets of WS-1's for my consoles. Does anyone have the spec's on them? I just wonder if they are more like small mid/hi satellites (kinda like the "bose cubes" as an example). They were supposed to be used outboard of the mains for mid/hi expansion-presence.

Larry

smollett5
10-28-2009, 11:58 PM
I have XP-15s, XP-9s, and XP-5s. They have solid and attractive cabinetry and sound pretty good to me and my daughter who plays the cello. She uses the XP-9s with a Fisher 400 and a Kenwood KR-720 and and Arcam CD-73 and says no other speaker manufacturer makes the music sound as she hears it when she plays in an orchestra.

No, they do not have a bright or forward treble, common to more modern speakers. They have subdued highs, a broad mellow midrange, and a deep but not overpowering bass. Why Fisher speakers - the ones made when Avery Fisher owned the company - do not get more "respect" I cannot say.

My XP-5s are powered by a Pioneer SX-980 and a McIntosh MR-65B with a Fisher MPX-200. They sound truly fine.

beej
10-29-2009, 04:44 AM
I have a pair of XP-60b's that I picked up for $10 in a thrift. Cabs are very nice. As far as sound is concerned they're ok; not really bad, not really great. Probably could benefit from a recap. I currently have them paired up with a Pioneer SX-535 and a BOTL Kenwood turntable as my test platform for newly acquired and cleaned up LPs. Screens were stapled to the cab and can be removed (with care) by getting one corner pried away and then working the rest of the screen. Took me a bit but I was able to get the screens off.

aidynphoenix
10-29-2009, 05:03 AM
i have 4 sets of fisher speakers.. no im not a fisher collector or anything..
3 of them fit into the crappy stv-ds catigory..
but i have one other pair some solid wood cabs from 1971 i believe..
VERRY nice cabs. have insulation inside. no ports, 2way.. they are (fisher 103) speakers. i havent been able to find out any details on them.. be greatfull for any opinions or info..
theres 2 images at this thread here http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=251125

beej
10-29-2009, 08:33 AM
i have 4 sets of fisher speakers.. no im not a fisher collector or anything..
3 of them fit into the crappy stv-ds catigory..
but i have one other pair some solid wood cabs from 1971 i believe..
VERRY nice cabs. have insulation inside. no ports, 2way.. they are (fisher 103) speakers. i havent been able to find out any details on them.. be greatfull for any opinions or info..
theres 2 images at this thread here http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=251125

Your 103's look very similar to my XP-60b's.

This thread was originally provided by AK member jimbofish. Offered here just for additional info.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/att...7&d=1234299478

aidynphoenix
10-29-2009, 07:52 PM

This thread was originally provided by AK member jimbofish. Offered here just for additional info.

i think the link is broken

steveh1155
10-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Absolutely love my XP-1A's (circa 1963)!!

beej
10-30-2009, 04:28 AM
i think the link is broken

Strange, it showed broken for me in this thread but I was able to open it when it was originally posted. Here it is, in any case:

Mazlem
10-30-2009, 10:13 AM
I posted this pair of XP-12's in Dollars and Sense - http://rochester.craigslist.org/ele/1443240701.html

Haven't heard them but based on what I've read I think I'll go after them anyway; waiting on a reply from the seller now.

shocley
10-30-2009, 01:03 PM
An update on my Fisher XP-7's: I replaced the Fisher dome tweeters with original Advent tweeters, and the results are pretty good! I didn't make any crossover modifications; that might improve them still more.

They are now doing "B" pair duty in the living room, and I might even prefer them a little to KLH 23's. The chief defect of the XP-7's is now a rather heavy bass.

larryderouin
11-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Found a pair of WS-1's! Cab's are beat up on the front edge(crushed, chipped, etc.) the veneer(if you want to call it that) isn't in bad shape, it's fair at best. The grills and the drivers are in Great shape. Made in West Germany, 3"x 7"? full range... Name starts with an "I". The installed cables were beat up, so I got a couple of 12ft extension cords(Home Depot 16Ga) for $2.00 ea. Cheaper than zipcord!!! Cut the ends off and soldered them in. Then hooked them up to my R-494(console) along with the Console speakers.

They are described as "WIDE SURROUNDS" adding more presence to the voices, and highs. So I have them about 3 ft away from the cabinet on either side. What highs are cut off in the console is brought out by the WS-1's. They do add I would say a degree of separation that isn't heard in a console. They are strictly Mid/High's.

Got some putty and gonna try and reconstruct the front edge on both. Then they go on the veneer list.

Larry

Hendrix416
11-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Fisher speakers that start with a DS are also worthless crap. I had a pair of DS-826, and they looked nice, had white cones, and stuff, but sounded JUST PLAIN AWFUL. Im serious, it was just hideous. The tweets distorted on ALL of the highs.

I donated them to GW, as one of the woofers was shot(rattled like hell at anything over 2wpc), because I cranked up my SX-939 on them.(the rating on the speaks was 100wpc too. pio is 75wpc. wierd, huh?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vVhNi7Mph4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMIP4I8VNW4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pczfdhCJ5H8

This is what you should really do with Fisher speakers.

superdog
11-01-2009, 10:24 PM
I too have a pair of XP-55B and XP-55 as well as XP-9C and find them all to be pleasing to the ear and very well made. And I agree that they do have a warm sound.

I too had a pair of xp-55b or 60b.They were decent sounding speakers.I have read some posts where they were the worst speakers they have ever heard.They are what they are a pleasant warm sounding speaker and nothing to compare against high end speakers.

jimbofish
11-01-2009, 10:38 PM

Try this link...

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=210223

DENNYDOG
11-01-2009, 10:39 PM

Why thread crap like that? :thumbsdn: Some sound good. Some sound bad. No need to post links to crap like that.

aidynphoenix
11-01-2009, 10:46 PM

or give them to your little brother.. so he can enjoy them before he does that himself..

elgobbes
05-02-2011, 10:07 PM
I have a pair of ST-835's, and I think they sound just fine.

jpsyoda
11-17-2011, 12:58 AM
The crossovers, if you want to call it that, are extremely simple. These speakers benefit greatly from a real crossover network. I modded a pair of DS 816 speakers with a 3 way crossover out of an old pair of Marantz speakers and replaced the mids with 4" tang band aluminum come drivers and the tweets with phenolic ring tweeters. Added a little fill in the box and they sound great! And the whole project cost $20! My next project is modding some Fisher 15s.

born2tech
11-17-2011, 05:53 AM
i agree with fishers voicing of the systems and that a warm sound was sought after, the cabinets were very nice and heavy, i use the xp7 woofers in bigger ported enclosure and am currently experimenting with mid and tweeter combinations.

ReceivrHound
06-18-2013, 09:55 AM
I just picked up a pair of Fisher XP 65Ks; they're in great shape physically (except the fisher logo off the grill cover has worn off, however, the paper tags are still on their backs) and they sound really good. I took off the grill and took out the drivers - the cabinets are jam packed full of heavy duty pink fiberglass. I'm not sure this is original - there are some markings and some putty-like substance around the bass driver's housing that I'm pretty sure means someone's been in them..... I will probably recap them and possibly replace the x-over - beautiful speakers with an amazing housing - even if I replace half the drivers and crossover worth it!!

dragondad
06-20-2013, 04:43 PM
In the late 50's Avery Fisher teamed up with Bill Hecht, founder of United Speaker Systems, to manufacture his drivers beginning with the XP-1. Many of Fisher's subsequent speakers used drivers made by USS. United speaker systems is still in business today and has been the OEM driver source for many companies as well as making their own complete systems. Bill Hecht held several audio related patents, most notably one for the soft dome tweeter used in many current designs. USS subsidiarys include Phase Technology and Induction Dynamics. Bill passed 9/11/2012 at the age of 89

wmgwizard
06-20-2013, 05:32 PM
I have a pair of XP-1's available if anyone is interested, drop me a PM.

AudioSoul
06-20-2013, 09:42 PM
Because they were worthless in the first place.....

Ken Boyd
06-20-2013, 09:48 PM
There is a pair I would love to own right now on ebay, I am just to lazy to work out all the logistics to get it here. I have heard they sound very much like a pair of Maggies, I think it was at Miller sound that said something about them sounding as good as Maggies. the XP 18's. If no one likes them and has a pair that lives in Florida, I would take them off your hands.:yes:

halo71
06-20-2013, 10:04 PM
I have heard they sound very much like a pair of Maggies,

:eek: really? I've never heard a pair of Fisher's that I would haul to the house if they were free, if I was being paid even to take them. Just my opinion though. But sounding like Maggies....that is surprising to hear.

mhardy6647
06-20-2013, 10:09 PM
I suspect the tonal similarity to Magneplanars would be in the rolled-off treble.

Gang-Twanger
06-20-2013, 10:32 PM
There is a pair I would love to own right now on ebay, I am just to lazy to work out all the logistics to get it here. I have heard they sound very much like a pair of Maggies, I think it was at Miller sound that said something about them sounding as good as Maggies. the XP 18's. If no one likes them and has a pair that lives in Florida, I would take them off your hands.:yes:

Yeah, I've been eyeing the Fishers lately too. Avery Fisher seems like he was not far-off from Gilbert Briggs in terms of the kind of speaker-voicing/tonality he liked. Seems that midrange-response was a key element in the design-philosophy of the old XP series from their classic era. The bigger ones seem like they would remind me a lot of my W90's (from maybe '62 or '63). Even the XP-10's are incredibly-beautiful specimens...
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Cy7wDFuFBeI/T2febFI7ngI/AAAAAAAAAj0/dyIA2jXkOws/s1600/Fisher+XP-10+Vintage+speaker.jpg

Gang-Twanger
06-21-2013, 02:32 AM
I suspect the tonal similarity to Magneplanars would be in the rolled-off treble.

What I had read online in an article at some point is that they're supposed to have an "electrostatic-like coherence".

I'd surely-love to have a pair of the bigger models. I'd love to get the best-sounding one of the bunch, but even the XP-10 is the size of my W90's. Avery Fisher was definitely a big fan of displacement, that's for sure.

smollett5
06-21-2013, 08:21 AM
I have attached a photo of my XP 15s, the original model, one of which has some unknown stain on the grill cloth. They weigh about 90 pounds and have fine cabinetry. They cost $300 a piece back in the mid-1960's, when that amounted to quite a bit of money.

Gang-Twanger
06-21-2013, 01:32 PM
I have attached a photo of my XP 15s, the original model, one of which has some unknown stain on the grill cloth. They weigh about 90 pounds and have fine cabinetry. They cost $300 a piece back in the mid-1960's, when that amounted to quite a bit of money.

Yeah, those are about the same size as the lowboy version of the W90's (My W90's are the regular version, which was like the lowboy flipped up on it's side). Beautiful cabs.

janikphoto
06-21-2013, 02:23 PM

I could see this being a good solution. I picked up some fishers the other day, I think they were xp-2a's if I recall? They reminded me of fisher's take on the AR-2a, in a way. Great bass, so-so highs. Pretty cabs, too.

Ken Boyd
06-21-2013, 02:23 PM

Very nice, I am going to keep my eyes open for something like that near me.

tom1356
06-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Even Avery didn't use Fisher speakers.:dunno: