SACD recommendations

I have gone through the firs 9 pages of this great thread and made a list of all the recommended SACDs that I don't have and might like. I got a little gun shy after a few of my purchases disappointed. ( Marshall Crenshaw and Hall & Oates, both fine but sounded like red book)
Some I haven't seen listed:
Jeff Buckley - Grace Best version of Hallelujah ever!
Harry Belafonte - Belafonte sings the blues
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Rickie Lee Jones - Sermon on Exposition Boulevard. It's weird; but it's very clean and well resolved.

And for those who can play HDCD I got these two at redbook prices and didn't knotice the HDHD tracks until I got a universal player.
Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia
Joni Mitchell - Blue

I'll continue my to buy list soon. Keep posting!

Enjoy!
I have Beach Boys, "Pet Sounds". Sounds great to me but I don't have lot to compare.

Roger

Vanessa Fernandez has two really good SACDs out, Use Me and When the Levee Breaks. Price is decent, too, relatively speaking.

i don't remember if anyone mentioned Midnight Sugar by the Yamamoto Trio but it should be required listening. i have the 45rpm 2 LP set which is truly outstanding.
even the RBCD is excellent, sacd is better of course.

the vanessa fernandez disc-levee-is particularly good. at the newport show,i was fortunate enough to hear Ying Tan play the master tape (prob 2nd gen) in the Prana Fidelity room on the same speakers used to master it (by Ying). do NOT miss this sacd.

Do you guys prefer the sound quality of a good LP mastering over the SACD version, or the other way around?

Just curious; and of course it also depends of your gear's quality (TT vs SACD player).

* For many of my SACD music selections I purchase them based from these reviews:=> http://audaud.com/sacdhi-res/
I gotta say I still prefer my best LPs, but I don't have any titles in both LP and SACD to compare head-to-head. Also, I need to upgrade my SACD player. I'm willing to do this and spend $$$ on SACDs because some of my best LPs from long ago are already showing some degradation. Then again, will there still be SACD players available 10 years from now if mine dies?

Does anyone know where I can get Rickie Lee Jones - It's Like This on SACD? It's awaiting repress on Music Direct.

diana krall's= girl in the other room-is her actal best album. the tom waits tune-temptation-is a great song AND a great demo. live from paris is also right up there, engineered by the great al schmitt. don't miss out on having the dvd of this, the interplay of diana and anthony wilson is exquisite.

I have gone through the firs 9 pages of this great thread and made a list of all the recommended SACDs that I don't have and might like. I got a little gun shy after a few of my purchases disappointed. ( Marshall Crenshaw and Hall & Oates, both fine but sounded like red book)
Some I haven't seen listed:
Jeff Buckley - Grace Best version of Hallelujah ever!
Harry Belafonte - Belafonte sings the blues
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Rickie Lee Jones - Sermon on Exposition Boulevard. It's weird; but it's very clean and well resolved.

And for those who can play HDCD I got these two at redbook prices and didn't knotice the HDHD tracks until I got a universal player.
Joni Mitchell - Blue

Cool, can post a review list of the recommended SACDs on this thread?

-gagelle-

audio fidelity is the company that succeeded DCC. marshall blonstein owns this label, another like Dunhill Compact Classics that marshall bought the rights to the name for.

he had bought abc dunhill and renamed it with dunhill in the name. audio fidelity once was a HIFI label which is fitting with what he and steve hoffman did with DCC.

Is their stuff any good? I ordered Joe Cocker from Amazon. Came with a free download, which was unimpressive. After 2 weeks with no disc delivery Amazon said that they burn the discs on order and there is an unknown lead time. I cancelled my order.

Which has the best SQ?

That is a tough call. NoT so much based on sound quality, but of all the albums I like a few more than others. Girl in the other room and quiet nights are probably my favorites. I love the Russell Malone guitar tracks on most all her albums.

Vanessa Fernandez has two really good SACDs out, Use Me and When the Levee Breaks. Price is decent, too, relatively speaking.

the vanessa fernandez disc-levee-is particularly good. at the newport show,i was fortunate enough to hear Ying Tan play the master tape (prob 2nd gen) in the Prana Fidelity room on the same speakers used to master it (by Ying). do NOT miss this sacd.

I have had trouble getting into both of these releases. I mean they were somewhat interesting first listen but not something I feel the need to go back to, especially that Zep cover disc. Maybe I should give them another try?

Joni Mitchell - Blue

I have an OPPO DV981HD in my 2 ch system and its GREAT - SACD as well as HDCD -
I chased down copies of Joni Mitchell's Court and Spark and Hejira in HDCD format ... plus, it seems like the entire Roxy Music (and Bryan Ferry solo albums) and King Crimson remasters in the early 2000s were HDCD discs (the ones in the mini-LP format) -
and the Rhino reissues of the Grateful Dead albums are HDCD too ...

The Dire Straits 20th Anniversary SACD of Brothers in Arms is quite nice!
Its still affordable too! https://www.amazon.com/Brothers-Arms-20th-Anniversary-Straits/dp/B0009A21R6

If you can find it - the SACD of Roxy Music Avalon is also nice - has a bonus track the standard CD & LP does not have.
Beck's Sea Change on SACD is excellent but nearly impossible to find - fortunately, it was recently released on Pure-Audio Bluray format ($28) and is stunningly clear ..
https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Change-Blu-ray-Audio-Beck/dp/B00ELVVAG2

Last edited:
I have an OPPO DV981HD in my 2 ch system and its GREAT - SACD as well as HDCD -
I chased down copies of Joni Mitchell's Court and Spark and Hejira in HDCD format ... plus, it seems like the entire Roxy Music (and Bryan Ferry solo albums) and King Crimson remasters in the early 2000s were HDCD discs (the ones in the mini-LP format) -
and the Rhino reissues of the Grateful Dead albums are HDCD too ...

The Dire Straits 20th Anniversary SACD of Brothers in Arms is quite nice!
Its still affordable too! https://www.amazon.com/Brothers-Arms-20th-Anniversary-Straits/dp/B0009A21R6

If you can find it - the SACD of Roxy Music Avalon is also nice - has a bonus track the standard CD & LP does not have.
Beck's Sea Change on SACD is excellent but nearly impossible to find - fortunately, it was recently released on Pure-Audio Bluray format ($28) and is stunningly clear ..
https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Change-Blu-ray-Audio-Beck/dp/B00ELVVAG2

I have the DV980-H. Best audio bargain ever. It's good to know about the other Joni Mitchells and Roxy/Ferry. (already have King Crimson on LP) Beck - Sea Change, James Taylor - Dad loves his Work are on their way. Mark Knopfler - Shangri-La was ordered via Half.com from Bargain Bin Media. It's been almost 2 weeks and they haven't shipped yet!

I have had trouble getting into both of these releases. I mean they were somewhat interesting first listen but not something I feel the need to go back to, especially that Zep cover disc. Maybe I should give them another try?
I do like the the "Use Me" recording more than "When the Levee Breaks." However, if you listen to the Led Zep covers a little more, they might grow on you. (You can actually tell what the words are, as opposed to Robert Plant's sometimes garbled screeching. And the quality of the recording puts the original versions to shame. I mean there's so much hiss on Led Zep IV that if I didn't know better, I would have thought the studio tapes of were done on cassette.)

The MoFi SACD release of James Taylor's JT is outstanding. Even the songs I used to not like so much sound great on this disc.

Back
Top Bottom