Sansui AU-777A vs all contenders

smurfer77

I've been trying to get a Sansui amp that I like more than my rebuilt AU-777A for a while. In this thread I'm just going to be rambling from time to time as new contenders arrive at my door step. It's not going to be well organized or logical, because I'm not sure there is any point as what I like is probably different to what you like. In all comments and opinions below of course YMMV. I go for vintage/warm sound and ultimate fidelity and imaging come second, although are desirable to me also. All tests are done with an amp selector box... usually not blind, unless the amps are very similar, then I get my wifey to help with the buttons. I found the amp selector box is the only way to do this sort of comparison.... the time to change wires is too long to form reliable opinions. When you use that selector box and and shift in the middle of a guitar riff, vocal solo, or bass note, things are more obvious. Tone controls kept neutral generally, but slight adjustments made sometimes to see if it's just a matter of different voicing/tone-settings. Loudness off.

Oh and one very important point is what speakers I'm using. For all listening tests I'm using Allison speakers, usually the model One, Two, Three or Four... mostly the Ones or Twos. The Ones have dual 10" woofers in the acoustically sealed cabinet and the Twos have dual 8" woofers, also in a sealed cabinet. I mention this because it's important. These speakers tend to do really well with low damping factor amps.... you get ridiculous bass due to the resonance being uncontrolled by the amp, but the cabinets are sealed really well and this keeps things under control a lot (you can push on one woofer and watch the other move - perfectly sealed) so the bass quality isn't too shabby even when things are flapping around a bit. And that's important because many of the sansui amps I like tend to have low damping factor and it might partly be because of my speakers doing well with that. I'm sure if I hook up to some maggies or something else I might really care a bit more for different models. Okay, moving on....

The story is that I grew up with an AU-666 and then tried a lot of fancy hi-fi grabbing a recapped AU-555A. I knew instantly that this unit delivered enjoyment that my fancy gear didn't. So the fancy gear went and the Sansui madness began - I've only been in this game for the last 3 years or so. It started with a couple of AU-555A, AU-505, & AU-666 rebuilds.

All fine amps, I would even say outstanding, in their own ways. The 555A has incredible imaging and sense of space, yet retains a warm overall tone, while the 505 might lose slightly on the sense of space but might pip the 555A on bass, only just.

The AU-666 as many of you know is a bit of a different topology (like the AU-999) and is great, possible 'higher-fi', than those mentioned already, but I do need to use the tone controls a bit to 'warm' it up. It's not as drastic a situation as it's bigger brother the AU-999 which I owned three stock units off and sold because I couldn't stand the lack of bass.

I tried an AU-555 and that was really not to my liking, except at high volume.... it's like there is an anti-loudness! ;) Maybe it was just my unit had a problem but I couldn't detect any problem. The little brother to that, the AU-222, on the other hand sounded incredibly nice. Thumping bass! So I went ahead on did the signal transistors on that and boy, it has some clarity too now! One on my all time favourite amps - we do love little amps that show up their bigger brothers, right? I must do a thread on that amp alone one day.... so cute inside, the case is so small, and yet there is sooo much space inside :).

Around the same time I tried some other low damping factor amps from Sansui. The highlights were many of the receivers that sounded a lot like the AU-222 (significantly warmer than the AU-505 etc on my speakers), e.g. Solid State 300, 300A, 350, 2000 and so on. I likes most of those a lot, and some had great tuners to boot! And those tuners are sexy at night... will always have one of those where ever I live.

I also tried the AU-101, the baby to the AU-505. And boy, another little gem! I ended up selling that though, because the AU-505 sounds so similar and the little AU-222 is my favourite little amp now!

Now, while the AU-555 wasn't to my liking, the AU-222 was really an eye opener. And I noticed that the AU-777 was the biggest brother of that line-up. And also, I thought, heck, I better own Sansui's first solid-state amp! I probably also read a couple of thread from Tom and others around that time too.

I'm probably skipping a few other models I tried up to that point... but you get the idea. I know I tried the AU-217 (pretty good little amp too!) and some others .

So I grabbed a Sansui AU-777. It was mint and had some issues (which I still need to fix) but I got instantly, in the garage hooked up to some little Allison Four bookshelf speakers, I was blown away... one of those "what the heck" moments when you know you have found something new that you like, and not one of e subtle hi-fi moments.... but a true paradigm in my hi-fi life. So i grabbed a couple of Au-777 at the time and a couple of AU-777A. After further listening to the units in a proper listening environment I was certain it was worth the time to do a full rebuilt on one of the units and see how that turns out. I rebuilt the AU-777A (one of those AU-777 is truly mint and I'm hesitant to do anything beyond fixing it's issue - probably will take that thing to the grave with me!). And many of you have seen that amp, or have at least seen my raving about the AU-777 variants in threads all over AK. The AU-777A rebuild worked out better than I could have hoped. It took an amp that I already liked much more than any previous amp, and improved on it (in some areas, subtly and in other areas less subtly). I was already mind blown with the stock unit.... so yeah, I was really in heaven when the rebuilt unit wasn't worse, or similar, but even better.

Why is the AU-777 so good? I don't know. I will delve into it a bit more at some point, taking the pre-main jumpers off of a few models and see which part is doing what. But, there has been another quest since then. The AU-777 is Sansui's first solid state amp... some might consider it a trial run.... others might say it is a pure translation of tube topology over to solid-state, forced by the fact that at that time PNP output transistors weren't really a thing yet, much like vacuum positron tubes ;). But surely, there has to be an amp in the Sansui line-up I prefer more than this first attempt?! So the silent quest began.

I'm sticking to mainly Sansui discussion. I've got some other excellent amps from other brands and I'm sure we could all think of some suggestions to try, but I think it's similar to keep it to Sansui discussion for now. I've not had a chance to try any of the fancy later Japanese only models and am very curious. I know some of you here who i respect a lot speak highly of some of those models.

The only 'modern' Sansui I've got is an AU-X11 (actually two) that I'm repairing, so that will get a shootout with the 777A eventually.

I have tried out the AU-6500. It sounds great. Warmed and bassier than I expected. But the AU-6500 is not really a contender in terms of bass qualilty or quantity, midrange or overall presentation. Still, I like that 6500 a lot, and so I'm very curious to get my hands on an AU-9500 and see what happens.

Hmm what else. Oh, I got an AU-888. Sounds like the AU-666 but with more thump, and I think the bass is better. I actually use it in my main system as the fidelity is outstanding and the tone controls and loudness switch are very usable... and it had really nice switches and controls for the tape loops, for my two reel-to-reel decks. The fidelity of the AU-888 (and probably the 666 and 999) isn't completely matched by the AU-777, but the 777 is still the clear winner. I love the AU-888 and sometimes the bass surprises me... and I check if the loudness switch is on as I have a feeling that is is otherwise bass shy... but it's not... it's just very honest. On this note, I'm fully aware of the AU-999 developments over the last couple of years and am keen to get an 999 and do the tone mods (and the matching mod outlined by Stereofun too).... the unit has a lot going for it otherwise, so will definitely try that at some point. Will also rebuild the AU-888 one day I suppose but I think it is a different amp the 777.... not worse, but not my personal ultimate amp for my speakers. One cool thing about these three (666,888,999) is how easy they are to work on.

I've got a Sansui HF-V60 pair (well, one is possible a clone, but it uses all Sansui iron etc) that I need to do at least basic stuff to before any sort of shootout. e.g. at least output coupling caps replacement to safeguard that precious output iron. Do have the matching PR-330, which need work too. But I suppose I could just quickly do the power amps and then use the front end from another sansui for a start.... so we will come back to that particular part of the story later.

And, there is an AU-70 I've halfway through doing a full rebuild on... I just restuffed the cans and did maybe 2/3s of the recap, but decided to take a break due to a tricky hum issue. Such a rats nest of wiring in that amp which is partly which I liked that AU-111 rewiring job by our South African colleague! I will get back to that eventually too...

Two exciting things happened lately on the solid-state front for me. I got an Eight Deluxe (actually, two). What a beauty! I just about climaxed when I pulled the case off and saw the yellow/gold heatsinks with the sansui labels. My units are stock, but all basic checks passed, power supply doing it's job, etc etc. Biased up nicely and did a comparison. This was the first time that I truly felt I found a worthy contender in the bass department to the AU-777A. It might even be a bit stronger on the bass quantity, despite higher damping factor :). The Au-777A did seem more controlled on plucked bass, but too hard to be definitive. The midrange clearly when to the Au-777A by a long shot, and the treble was also to the AU-777A, but by a closer margin than the midrange. Again, this is my fully rebuilt 777A. Maybe I should compare to a stock AU-777A to get a better idea of refurb potential. Anyway, the Eight Deluxe has definitely has some magic and I'm wonder if a refurb will clear up the mid. If so, this unit has potential to be my new favourite. It has a powersupply that is much more impressive than the AU-777s... it seems the potential is there for a superior unit unless the mid can't be cleared up. So, we have another project to do.... the Eight Deluxe! But as it stands, the rebuilt AU-777A is still unbeaten, and I wouldn't even say it is very close. I just see the potential in the 8D, and the bass is the closest I've seen so far.

[HAHAHA! I had to break my first post into two posts because I discovered a 12,000 character post limit!]

Again, still not ruling out a modded Au-999, but a unit hasn't fallen into my path lately.

And the latest contender, an AU-9900A just arrived on my doorstep (and I have an AU-9900 on the way). Checking out status of that unit now! I had read that people think it might be warmer sounding than the AU-11000. And the 9900 is basically the same unit but running at lower power, which could have better long term reliability (?). Anyway, will report very soon... it's on the bench now doing essential checks and rebias before hookup.

Am also interested in the AU-717 based on high opinions of Hyperion and others.

More rambling to come.... consider yourself warned. One day the rebuilt AU-777A will be dethroned. I apologize for the no doubt numerous typos as I'm just typing these thoughts quickly. These are the thoughts i might usually keep to myself and there is no hard science (I try to stick to quantifiable facts where possible and thought about doing a similar thread with full measurements... but I aint got the time for that), but I thought someone else might get a kick out of my 'process'.

You may actually prefer the 9900 with it's loudness switch if low volume listening is your thing. Having mentioned that the 9900a is no slouch and sits beside my sx-1980 in my shop rack where it keeps up nicely until one approaches ludicrous levels of volume setting. Not to throw a wrench into the mix however the x0x0 series may be the warmest of the bunch.

Always curious to hear your findings - but especially once you compare some of the old amps to some of the higher speed amps of the late 70' ties - 9900a or early 80'ties like the X11. The power difference will be a gap, but at mid volumes we could reasonably compare what the higher speed and more advanced circuitry offers, and perhaps find some answers to why many of us who have owned or still own far higher spec'd units, nevertheless, so thoroughly enjoy the musical reproduction of amps like the 777a / 555a / 505 / even when they by every audio text book definition are inadequate in their technology by today's standard: Quasi - single rail - capacitive coupled, low power and with with mediocre channel separation and relatively high levels of distortion.

That to me is a mystery.

Last edited:
So it looks like this thread is becoming a place for me to rant my daily listening tests and ever evolving thoughts on machines....

Boy the AU-888 is really no slouch, especially in the clarity department... was listening to that a lot lately. I don't expect it will have any major new magic after a recap (based on my AU-666 full rebuild experience), and it will always be a different beast to the 777A, but it's definitely worthy of sitting in my main system for a while! (and that lends further evidence to taking the AU-999 seriously, after doing the tone mods (which the AU-888 doesn't need)).

Okay, so back to the AU-9900A which I grabbed on Sunday. First thing I noticed when hauling it onto the work bench, is that to my surprise it is a light weight compared to the two AU-X11 I have been poking around in lately. I know I should know that from the spec sheets (more than 10 kg difference), but it still came as a surprise how much easier it is to handle than the big AU-X11. My machine has a few discolouration & scratches on the top and side panels, but I am confident I can sort that out. And, the all important front panel is near perfect. So this machine came to me with one channel down, when tone controls are switched in. Quickly found the low filter switch to be the culprit and cleaned that up.

I had read on various AU-9900 and AU-9900A thread, on multiple sites comments like "my 9900 runs really hot, too hot to touch heat sinks, is that normal." I'm going to say, NO, that is definitely not normal. My heat sinks were stone cold, and no surprise because both channels had been biased to (or drifted to) about 9mA on each side. I set it to the prescribed 50 mA. After some use, with the top lid on, some warmth can be felt but I didn't even bother measuring - it feels like about body temperature at the case vents just over the output devices.

Hooked the beast up to the scope just to check everything is behaving as it should, even if things sounded okay (better than okay!) through my work bench speakers (a couple of old KHL woofers out of their cabinet that I don't mind blowing up.... I know the amp is special if they can make this setup sound half decent :) ). Nice and clean at all frequencies. This was running through some 100 W 8Ohm resistors. Ramped up the volume knob, and didn't start to see clipping or harmonics in real-time FFT until about...... wait for it..... 144 Watts (1KHz, 8Ohm, both channels driven)! [I better check that again....seems rediculous]. I would like to think i made a mistake, but I used the same process and maths that has got me sensible results on other amps. For sure I was taking this power at a level of distortion higher than the spec 0.05%...I didn't didn't hook up the distortion meter at the time to get serious about the measurement, but it's probably fair to say the 'usable' power is much higher than the spec'd 80 W. It looks like the bandwidth is pretty good too....

So I hooked up the 9900A in the listening room using the amp selector box. I ran it with the tone-defect on to start with and as always matched up the volume. Okay, certainly most of the amps I've been discussing here are cherished units... it's part of the reason they ended up in my living room. Well, the AU-9900A, to me, is one of the very special ones.

The bass (using my Allison Two speakers) is very similar to that of the of the AU-777A. Whereas the stock Eight Deluxe has similar or slightly more bass, but was less defined, the AU-9900A has similar bass quantity (less regular bass, but more truly low low bass quantity), but was better defined. Would love to recompare these three units after recap. The midrange of the AU-9900A is better to my ears than the Eight Deluxe... though it is different to the AU-777A. Turning the tone on (and readjusting the volume was necessary) and adjusting the mid range down one notch, brought the tone very close to the AU-777A. Vocals on the 777A are a bit clearer somehow, and voices more obviously separated. The high end is very very similar to my ears... the closest I've heard from any of the amps I've tried so far. The presentation and sense of space is outstanding, just like the 777A (and to an extent the 555A), although the ultimate sense of clarity is still better in amps like the early 'modern' topology amps such as the AU-888 (but this just might be due to a bit brighter tonal presentation rendering the highs my audible). I've actually been listening to the AU-9900A all day today and yesterday, and while the mids are slightly different to the 777A, I might even prefer it for a lot of music, especially string groups. But the 777A is preferred for vocals, edgy guitars etc etc.

If I had to chose between to rebuilt AU-777A and the stock AU-9900A, the AU-777A still has a bit more magic in the mids and highs, but the bass of the AU-9900A is the best contender so far on my speakers... it is perhaps superior in fact. (Lets see what the Eight D sounds like after recap though!). The funny thing is that I don't really notice any difference in power in the machines. My AU-777A is actually louder at same volume setting, even if it may clip out before max volume setting. I did push both amps to full volume briefly just to see how that few dB difference feels.... well the 9900A was louder, but it's a non-issue... I would never listen anywhere close to that loud in my present listening space. But I don't doubt that the big power supply that can support that high power (and damping factor too) go part of the way to that detailed and powerful bass on the 9900A! I didn't miss the loudness control as much as I thought I would, as the tone controls allow a lot of adjustment and I didn't really even find a need to use them as the bass is really enough in most situations even at quite low volumes.

So we have another potential contender from my point of view, perhaps the strongest so far and the closest souding to the AU-777A of the lot so far. (although the Eight D is promising too, if the mids can be cleared up.... and still not ruling out a few other models after recap and possible mods on some (still looking at you AU-999)). For now the rebuilt AU-777A is still king, but I will re-evaluate after living with the new units a bit longer, and of course, after recap.

Last edited:
Always curious to hear your findings - but especially once you compare some of the old amps to some of the higher speed amps of the late 70' ties - 9900a or early 80'ties like the X11. The power difference will be a gap, but at mid volumes we could reasonably compare what the higher speed and more advanced circuitry offers, and perhaps find some answers to why many of us who have owned or still own far higher spec'd units, nevertheless, so thoroughly enjoy the musical reproduction of amps like the 777a / 555a / 505 / even when they by every audio text book definition are inadequate in their technology by today's standard: Quasi - single rail - capacitive coupled, low power and with with mediocre channel separation and relatively high levels of distortion.

That to me is a mystery.

Tom, nice to hear from you! I thought you may be too busy shinning up your red 'toy' ;)

I'm far from the end of my Sansui adventure but the initial findings are that those old topologies and output cap coupling are just fine at outputting very pleasing sound with reasonable fidelity as far as our ears and brains are concerned. Let's face it that some of the best sounding amps of all time, according to many folk here at least, are old tube amps with topology predating the 777A and with DC blocker caps all over the signal path to keep that plate voltage out from moving downstream. I still can't decide if the extra clarity perceived by many of us on the models like AU-888/999 is due to improvement in signal fidelity, or just different tonal balance....

When I measure the amps into 8Ohm test loads (purely resistive) they all have similar frequency responses, but into real speaker loads I think this is where the differences start to show up, especially as some of the amps have low damping factors. So this is why I stress which speakers I use, as others may have really difference responses.

And, as Nelson Pass said at Burning Amp last Sunday, most amps behave similarly.... "it's how the misbehave that makes them interesting!"

Aside from experimenting with the output devices as per your other thread, I should also do another test that I can't believe i haven't done yet: I should take the preout from the 777A and throw that into the 888 and vice versa, and see what's what there. What do you think? See if the 777A magic is from the toneboard or the old main amp....

I'm sure I must be sounding a bit mad at the moment "777A > 8D or 9900A" :). Of course, everyone may have difference tastes and different conclusions. I'm really trying to be as unbiased as possible though, even though I'm obviously in love with my 777A, stroking it, and tucking it into bed each night, like my own child.

Last edited:
Oh, I just realized something ... I haven't posted a single post in this thread yet. That's just not cool. Here is a shot of the AU-9900A after a clean-up.
D3JHrPH.jpg

And here is a nude, as she is driven into the 8 Ohm test loads.
stVDiM2.jpg

The AU-9900 arrives tomorrow!

I have the AU-9900 on the bench. Was meant to be a working unit, but no sound both channels. Couldn't see anything obviously wrong probing around the outputs etc, so I brought it up and attempted to check DC and bias. The manual is woeful and if you follow it you will set bias to max during DC adjustment!. I've just posted this info in a more relevant thread of DrAudio, but repeating here:

-------------
AU-9900 DC and Bias adjustment

1) If we take VR01 (L) and VR02 (R) from the schematic and parts list, which is for DC adjustment, their position in Fig. 3-1 should be swapped with VR03 (L) and VR04 (R). I.e. from top to bottom:

VR01 (DC adjust L)
VR03 (bias adjust L)
VR02 (DC adjust R)
VR04 (bias adjust R)

So make sure you are sticking your screwdriver in the DC adjust pots before you go turning wildly trying to set DC.... if nothing is happening to your DC you might be in the wrong pot and about to cause a problem for your machine, or if nothing happens see (3) below

2) In the notes for DC adjustment the manual says "Set bias current to minimum VR03 and VR04 clockwise". The correct direction for reducing bias current is turning VR03 and VR04 counter clockwise

3) The manual shows in Fig. 3-2 putting probes into speaker SYSTEM-B to measure DC. This is fine, but the novice might not realize they should set the front panel speaker switch to B, and lets face it, most people have A as default, so this could be another reasons there are so many threads saying that adjust the pots does nothing. Use either A or B, and just make sure you connect the speaker outlets by setting front panel switch to appropriate position. Obvious, but you know how these things are :)
--------------

Anyway, after realizing that, I found bias was sitting on about 20mA and DC a few mV. I brought bias up to about 42mA and DC to <0.5mV on both channels. Still no sound. Oh hang on, I do hear one channel a bit if I bump the volume knob right up.... so I check the speaker relay on F-2582 and sure enough the contacts are black, and kind of not really lined up properly either. So I get out the 100% deoxit and fold up some paper to the correct thickness. Sound on both channels! But there is a lot of hiss. It's volume dependent so I suspect the pre. I disconnect pre-main and main amp is crystal clear without noise. So I have a very hissy preamp on both channels. Anyway, that's enough for tonight - if anyone has had this issue with the AU-9900 or similar let me know; for now I suspect transistors. It's actually a pretty good approximation of rain noise, and I could use it for falling asleep to.

Last edited:
Oh actually the AU-9900 thread I posted in wasn't started by Dr*Audio, but Dr did chime in and linked to another relevant thread

And I have to agree with Dr*Audio about the bias and temperature and case. If you can, set the bias with the case lid on. Alternatively, I found that at about 18 C ambient temp, if I set to about 42mA instead of 50mA, you get pretty close to the desired operation point with the case on.

Oh and here is a pic of my AU-9900 being biased up. Small differences here and there to the AU-9900A, with the big difference being DC offset (which has no adjustment on the AU-9900A).
L874u8L.jpg

And here is a pic of the speaker relay cleaning. Let's see how long it lasts!
vFQMU7g.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like I have found which of the two Eight Deluxes I have is getting a rebuild first. I did first tests on the second unit today, and it DC'd and biased up nicely, but the output was 60 W on at clipping on one channel and 30 W unclipped on another channel. adjusting the balance knob I could see that the weak channel was capable of going to 60W at clipping. Put my source into the 'main-in' and saw everything was fine with power-amp section. Probed the output of the volume and balance knobs where they go into the tone board and everything was fine there too. All good after first pair of transistors, then after 2nd pair of transistors on the tone board the imbalance shows up. DC voltages all look fine. So I probe around the mid tone control circuit (which is associated with this 2nd pair of transistors on the tone board) and can't find anything wrong. Ended up pulling all the little caps. Nothing wrong. All resistors are okay too. but they are poorly matched in many cases.

So I pull the two transistors TR703/704 and they test working but with very different DC low current gain (450 and 700). However, I know from the schematic that the circuit dictates the gain as long as the designed gain is less than the max gain of the transistors so I know this isn't necessarily a problem. I go ahead and replace the 2SC632A with some KSC1815 (with gain of 214 each) anyway and the imbalance is still there (and as I expected, the voltage levels are EXACTLY the same, despite 2-3x difference gain of the transistors to original).

So I went back to trying to find some bad resistor or cap.... can't find anything dead or way off. I'm sure there must be something to make such a difference, so I guess I will just have to rebuild at least this part of the tone board with matched parts. I just reflowed the entire board too and can't see any obviously problems with the PCB. So the rebuild begins unless someone has experience that will save the day?

Last edited:
I'm starting to realize how pointless the aim of this thread is.... many of the amps here are good enough that I could be happy to settle down with any one of them. Anyway, I will continue to use this thread for the amp adventure. And, here are some pics of this weekends adventure.

I drove a couple of hours north to grab this turntable. My first sansui turntable and boy is it a beauty.
TgSMJ9J.jpg

PyeAEHm.jpg

It came with a shure V15 III, supposedly with a jico stylus. Anyway, after proper alignment is sounds fantastic. I knew this thing had great speed control... you can even brush/dust the records and the strobe spots don't shift. But what surprised me is how quiet the rumble is. I hooked it up to the ADC and measured the rumble at -73dB. My technics SL-1700 was more like -65dB or worse... not bad, but enough that I bought a clearaudio tt to get lower rumble for my LP ripping (to PC) project. Anyway, the rumble on this Sansui rivals the clearaudio and I bet the speed control is even better. Pretty different tonearm and cartridge setup on my Sansui and clearaudio but anyway, I'm impressed... partly because of how sexy this machine is perhaps.

Oh, here is my AU-6500 which I mentioned. This unit is on loan at my buddies place.... he is now planning to sell his NAD collection and move to all Sansui ;).
KNmwfUq.jpg

Here is the current amp comparison setup... sorry for the messy cabling but with the frequency with which I shuffle around amps in this particular listening room it isn't worth doing cable management. Bottom to top: AU-777A, TU-9900, AU-9900A, Eight Deluxe.
t3ZaOjF.jpg

and a better view of the AU-777A:
4doNoXh.jpg

and the Eight Deluxe (the one that is performing nicely... the other one needs some work on the tone board).
afOljDo.jpg

and i know this is an amp thread, but nobody is going to complain with a close up of the TU-9900!
e9scQkA.jpg

Oh and a note... I repainted my AU-9900/AU-9900A (and will need to do the TU-9900 too) and found a nice & econmical paint match. Rustoleum hammer finish dark bronze (build it up in very light coats so it doesn't get too much hammer finish..and it will match the slightly rough but still glossy texture of the original). The results with this are outstanding... comparing the colour on the repainted amps and the TU-9900 with original paint and the colour and texture are not identical but very close indeed.

Keep on. No one can complain about pictures, comparisons and tales of purchases and restoration. That AU-777a restoration is imo one of the best. The Eight deluxe you are showing looks to be one of the earlier versions before cost cutting hit even the 8D. Looks like the face plate is engraved (like the Eight) rather than silk screened as in my 1974 8D ?

See, told ya you would like the 9900a :)
Now go after a fully rebuilt 9090db.
The Sansui brand is just so darn good, but then we know that.
Heavens everyone, don't tell the OP about tube gear :)
-Lee

See, told ya you would like the 9900a :)
Now go after a fully rebuilt 9090db.
The Sansui brand is just so darn good, but then we know that.
Heavens everyone, don't tell the OP about tube gear :)
-Lee

Sigh..... Am actually mid-way through working on an AU-70 and then there is this...which reminds me I must update that thread. They will also get compared to the AU-777A, AU-9900A etc.

Back
Top Bottom