Super Bowl super food or not?

Lux Man

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
We are Packer fans so our bubble was burst 2 weeks ago, however I had bought steaks in anticipation for them being in the big dance. Well, we are still having some really nicely marbleized t-bones. I'll make some mushroom sauce, baked potatoes with lots of cheese and sour cream piled on top and a Caesar salad. Not too fancy but I am still looking forward to it. IF, the Packers were in it, those steaks would have had some lobster tails laying next to them. Oh well maybe next year....and it will be here in the Vikings new stadium.....

I'm a Pats fan, sorry for your loss. Your meal sounds great. Post pictures in the "Show us your dinner" thread.

-Dave

Last edited:
If you are a Pats fan, smoke up a whole 'bird'.

If you are a Falcons fan, smoke up a meatloaf in the shape of a deflated football.

:oops::bigok:

Nothing too special here. Probably wings and Rotel queso dip. Maybe some blue cheese and crackers along the line. I picked up a nice wedge of blue the other day and've been hankering to dig in.

I love chili- recipe? Or a secret to share? I love venison in mine but I rarely have some.

If you are a Pats fan, smoke up a whole 'bird'.

If you are a Falcons fan, smoke up a meatloaf in the shape of a deflated football.

:oops::bigok:

My first reaction was to groan at your meatloaf suggestion but I will admit it was pretty clever.
Here's a quick pizza recipe that is quite tasty: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/extra-crispy-bar-style-tortilla-pizza-recipe.html. We use this recipe for the sauce: https://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/all-purpose-pizza-sauce. You might want to dial back the garlic a bit though. My GF and I love garlic but found that the garlic was too prominent.

Enjoy the game everyone.
-Dave

I love chili- recipe? Or a secret to share? I love venison in mine but I rarely have some.

The "secret" ingredient in my chili recipe is to grind up a portobello mushroom cap in the food processor and add it to the pot. It really amps up the beef flavor.

-Dave

No skin in this game for me, so I'm going to fry up a mess of smelts. It is fun to eat the little fishes.

My first reaction was to groan at your meatloaf suggestion but I will admit it was pretty clever.
Here's a quick pizza recipe that is quite tasty: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/extra-crispy-bar-style-tortilla-pizza-recipe.html. We use this recipe for the sauce: https://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/all-purpose-pizza-sauce. You might want to dial back the garlic a bit though. My GF and I love garlic but found that the garlic was too prominent.

Enjoy the game everyone.
-Dave
Hey, some fans will never let things go. :D

I have no 'theme' planned for my Superbowl cook...right now it's a good steak grilled to medium rare perfection, twice baked potatoes, grilled corn, and a nice red wine.

Hey, some fans will never let things go. :D

I have no 'theme' planned for my Superbowl cook...right now it's a good steak grilled to medium rare perfection, twice baked potatoes, grilled corn, and a nice red wine.

A good steak is proper for any occasion. Speaking of baked potatoes. . . Has anyone cooked hasselback potatoes. Delicious, crispy on the outside like french fries, soft inside almost like mashed potatoes. This is a good a recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/hasselback-potatoes.html.

-Dave

Pats family fans here...Can't wait!! We are making the Chili today.....same recipe for 23 years....Ribs and pulled pork. I'm sure we will all be stuffed before kickoff

I had the dirty birds over the cheese heads in a bet, but I am thinking old Tommy boy will pull this one out in the end.
Venison buggers will be cooked here along with some cheesed up chips for the big game.

Best -

Boozehound

I am going to make some tacos. I am not a fan of either team, but hey, it's the Super Bowl and a mans gotta eat.

I'm made some wings. I already ate them, so not so much Super Bowl food as just an excuse to make wings.

I read a technique that I've used twice now, and I like the results.

Get your wings ready and heat oil to 150~160°. Cook them in this for a while, 45 minutes or so. They'll just simmer and bubble a bit, and they'll look white and gross, but this low heat renders a lot of the fat out of the skin and also cooks the chicken to a safe temp. Drain them and season lightly - I use a spicy BBQ dry rub and a little extra seasoned salt - and let them cool. Now dump out the previous oil, it'll have a bunch of chicken fat and stuff in it, anyway. Heat some fresh oil really hot, 400°F, and cook them again a few at a time for just a minute or so until they are brown. The oil will really pop and spatter at this temp when you put the wings back in, so be careful.

What you end up with is an amazingly crispy wing, no chewy skin, no chance of undercooked meat, and fall off the bone tender. The skin ends up like rice paper, hard to describe how delicate and crispy it comes out.

A nachos platter: homemade chili over Frontera yellow corn tortilla chips, topped with shredded Mexican cheese, heated until the cheese is nicely melted, then covered with a generous sprinkling of homemade Pico de Gallo salsa.

The "secret" ingredient in my chili recipe is to grind up a portobello mushroom cap in the food processor and add it to the pot. It really amps up the beef flavor.

-Dave
That sounds good ! A big mug of strong black coffee always goes into my chili pot, along with about a half a cup of blackstrap molasses....

Back
Top Bottom