Anyone used the Tang Band W8-2145?

ictwoody

I like vintage gear — my preamp is from 2007.
I am thinking about doing a pair of these in some speaker cabs I can get a pretty good deal on. I'm a fan of full range drivers.

Anyone ever try a pair?

- Woody

I've not tried, but they look pretty good (visually and specifications). I'll also be interested in hearing what those who have used them have to say.

I've not tried, but they look pretty good (visually and specifications). I'll also be interested in hearing what those who have used them have to say.

Me too! Either way I just ordered a pair from Parts Express, so in a week or so I guess I'll know more.

– Woody

I've used many Tang Bangs in builds I've done over the years. I always gripe about the price but rarely about the quality.

I've used many Tang Bangs in builds I've done over the years. I always gripe about the price but rarely about the quality.

Good to hear. These seemed pretty reasonable to me at just around $90 each. I'll be putting them in these cabinets which were built for the POs Field Coils, but according to the cabinet builder, Bob Brines, the 2145 will pretty much be a drop in replacement. They even have BSC's in them already. I got a great deal on the cabs which cost the PO a lot to have built. They are walnut veneer over baltic birch and not MDF.

- Woody

IMG_4738.JPG IMG_4737.JPG

I made something similar out of scrap MDF and put el cheapo GRS 8FR-8's from Parts Express. Couldn't find a picture but those GRS speakers sound way better than they should. I made 4 of them and put transformers for 70V in them. They're in use in a buddy's wife's snooty bistro. I'm a big fan of full range. No crossovers unless they're too bright then a it's just and inductor and cap.

I had a good experience with the Tang Band W8-1808 in open baffles. Very high quality driver with a cast frame and neodymium magnet.

I finally got the speakers all put togeather today... oh my. These sound excellent! I adjusted the BSC/LPad that was already in the cabinet just a bit to tame a little high frequency energy which I felt might have caused some fatigue and just sat there on my couch for about an hour listening. I do love some full range drivers.

I'll write a longer review after they have some more time on them... I left them playing and by tomorrow afternoon they'll have 24hrs on them. But initial listening impressions are very good.

Here's some pics.

- Woody

IMG_9028.JPG IMG_9034.JPG IMG_9019.JPG

Not sure how I missed this thread. How do you like them? Are you still using them? As hard as I try, I just keep going back to single driver speakers. They're the bane of my existence.

Not sure how I missed this thread. How do you like them? Are you still using them? As hard as I try, I just keep going back to single driver speakers. They're the bane of my existence.

I am using them still. I really like them. In these boxes the lower end extension it's quite impressive. It easily exceeded my expectations. I think these drivers are an excellent value.

I've currently got them hooked up to my Bluesound Powernode 2... not your typical pairing. But surprisingly good. I'm contemplating a little tube Integrated or something for them.

- Woody

IMG_9665.JPG IMG_9662.JPG

Back
Top Bottom