Reviving a a Teac A-3440: can I grease the solenoids?

Doctorhugo

Los Angeles CA
Subscriber
Hey guys - I just bought a Teac A3440 and I'm very pleased wth it. However it's been stored unused for a long time and the transport is very very sticky, especially the capstan pinch roller.

My question is: how do I free off the pince roller/transport solenoid? It's sticky but not seized. Can I use a light grease? Any help appreciated!!

Bruce

It needs a good cleaning first. Just oiling will not fix the problem. Try using alcohol with cotton swabs and moving the solenoids by hand untill all the dried grease/dust comes out.

STOP !!! Do NOT lube solenoid !!! IT needs to be clean and dry !!! It is the pieces attached to it that need attention - NOT the solenoid itself !!!

STOP !!! Do NOT lube solenoid !!! IT needs to be clean and dry !!! It is the pieces attached to it that need attention - NOT the solenoid itself !!!

Most "A-" series decks use very similar transports. Find a video on YOUTUBE for your deck. There are several that take one thru the proper steps for servicing the 2300, 3300, 4300 3340 & 3440. Patience grasshopper

Here's a "similar" 2340 that shows all the basics... Be sure to read the (corrections) COMMENTS section also !! DO NOT RREMOVE/UNSCREW SOLENOID !!!!!

Thanks eddisc! I'll go to YouTube and have a look before I touch anything. Much appreciated!!

The best cleaning agent for the linkage is good old WD-40...It cuts through the sticky like a jet fighter
Also very good for a light lube of the motors through the lube tubes with a syringe.....

The best cleaning agent for the linkage is good old WD-40...It cuts through the sticky like a jet fighter
Also very good for a light lube of the motors through the lube tubes with a syringe.....

Thanks wordman001: I'm always cautious about WD40 as it tends to get a bad rap these days. I'll try it to loosen all the gunk, as you suggest.

BAD idea: WD is good for LIGHT pressure and infrequent movement as in DOOR HINGES - NOT constant load and heat as found in motors.
Do yourself a favor and use the correct fluids for the app. No tranny fluid in the crankcase and no motor oil in the tranny.

Very good results are being had with full synth motor oil (Mobile 1 & Amsoil) in the lightest weights (0-50). Said to reduce wow & flutter significantly.

Hi,

do NOT put WD40 any where near motor bearings. It is primarily a Water Deterrent and is silicone based. It is not a lubricant. It will not mix well with any residual Hydrocarbon based lubrication and could well affect the lubrication qualities of whatever amount of the original lube which is still there. Bear in mind that sleeve bearings are sintered. They are full of voids which are there to hold the lubricant in close contact to the moving parts. If you have sprayed the wrong liquid at it, the liquid will SOAK into the bearing and you will NEVER be rid of it!!!!!!

I would not go for motor oil either as there are additives which are of benefit to an internal combustion engine which do not apply to electric motors.

As I have mentioned elsewhere on these forums. Lubrication should NOT be taken lightly. Especially when dealing with Capstans. Any recorder, no matter what the build quality, is only as good as the rotational speed performance of the capstan and associated mechanics. The electronics could be the best in the world but bad Wow and Flutter figures will kill it.

Good quality lubrication is easily available and worth the expense.

GPS16

Back
Top Bottom