80's Technics Integrated Amps

I recently acquired an su-v3. I removed some customization and did a bit of repair;

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/technics-su-v3.746425/

and now in service. Its a modest unit but has no trouble putting out clean power. The small form factor is welcome- and the thorough service manual is even more so. The beancounters were clearly at work in these designs but they sure are easier to work on than the usual rats nest harness from 70's vintage equipment.

I just recently acquired a SU-V76 Technics amp. It has a BPC front panel and uses a rod and lots of fins cooling technology. But its my go to amp right. I was blown away by the clear slightly warm tone it has. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised. Does anyone know where it falls in food chain of technics amps in the 80's era? It says made in japan on the back.

SU-V76? Almost BOTL (entry-level units by Technics usually have a "Z" in their name); looks very similar to the SU-Z780/Z980.
Contains New Class A circuitry (and is therefore able to emit sound with negligible distortion).
Heatpipe is fairly well dimensioned; later models way higher in the food chain would comparably be worse, given the power (e.g. the SE-A900S power amp).

I have both an SU-V4 and an SU-V75. My favorite by far is the earlier SU-V4 which was made with good quality. Heavier. The SU-V75 in the bedroom is good enough for low to mid power situations where I'm not driving it that hard. It definitely came out of a rack system since it uses one of those stupid ribbon connectors for the tuner. I rarely drive my equipment hard anyway these days. My SU-V6 might have been pushed a bit too hard a few times and now it is hurting and needs some attention. It sits idle. One of these days I will jump into that mess if I am feeling brave enough. I have a thread up about it. Just a bigger version of my SU-V4 which runs the main system now. That series (SU-V2 through SU-V8) is on my favorites. Of course the very first amp I ever owned came from that series and I took it with me to college, the lowly SU-V2 at 40W per channel. So now I have owned three out of four. The SU-V8 is a monster. Expensive if you can find one.

Last edited:
I have both the V7 and the V9 with matching tuners. Both are minty, not a mark on them. The V9 was doing the cut off thing, and I decided to take it in for servicing rather than potentially harming it myself. $100 Cdn to a well respected local tech and it was given a clean bill of health. Cleaned the switches and replaced a few caps. V9 is driving a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 5i's.

The V7 is currently resting in a cabinet awaiting speakers to drive.

Will having the tuners sit on top of the amps cause any heat build up problems over time ? I do not use them but space is limited on my sotrage shelves and I would like to just plop them down on top on the amps.

@Rog50 Can you put the amps on top of the tuners? Are the cabinets the same size? If they are, that is what I would do.

I guess that is a super easy fix. And yes, they are the matching tuners, each one exactly same size as its corresponding amp.

Cool. As for heat damage over time, it would be difficult to quantify. But anything to keep an amp running cooler, even if just by a few degrees, would help to extend its lifespan.

Got a deal on a pair of Wharfedale 10.6's and hooked them up to the SU-V9, removed the Bose system from the V7 and hooked the Monitor Audio's up to that. Ha ha ha, now we are cooking on two floors. Also removed the tuners and wrapped them up and put them back on the shelf.

Pondering the V7, sounds just wonderful but it is the only silver face unit sitting in the living room setup. Starting to wonder if a reasonable power amp being fed by the CNC preamp would sound any where as good as the Technics.

Last edited:
Thing is with that series is the underdone heatsink, which is not much bigger than the SVI bolted to it... with STK chips it was a mixed bag... there are good and bad in the lot.... imo the Darlington packs were the better,

This integrated g91 is the first piece of audio equipment that made me realize how down/upgrades can be so pronounced or not....best run-on sentence all day.

What's your thoughts on where it stands alongside others of the era in your opinion and do you think mine is truly a hundred and thirty Watts aside

Is 3206(C)

Attachments

• IMAG0980.jpg
    IMAG0980.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Okay, well would you happen to know what's the best 5 in your opinion. Whether it's avr or Int amp...I have a money coming and want a high WPC Technics flagships with your opinion with models.

It'll be great to research your great judgement it seems you have for this series or time period.

Don't forget the SU-8077, 8088 and 8099, as well as the SU-V9.
If you lived in east Asia, the SU-V100D would be the one to look out for.

Hell it ain't the most powerful, but this amp I consider the best of them all.... and I have a frikkin heap of Technics amps... it has such a huge soundstage, presence and depth..... it really fingers the discrete lovers stance.

Of all the amps I have, the V4X I love the Most - the A3MK2 is true magic exceeded, but it's a pretty penny.

*** be sure that a V4X is not fitted with SVI2004C - it never sounds right.

If in USA check out Z600 Z610 -------- MCS 2270 and Curtis Mathes KA270 (cheap bracket but fun) amps.... awesome power for little cost

Back
Top Bottom