Not Getting that "Warm" Sound

SJC2574

Let me start with, I am very new to tubes. I started with an AR XA that was beautifully restored and upgrade and bought a Marantz 2230 and Heresy II's. I loved this set up! Everything I thought when I started in to building a vintage system. But, like everything, if it was that good what could be better...I know...TUBES! So after very little research I jumped in head first with a GemTune GS-01 with a Yaqin MS23 pre amp. Now, I just got this setup today from UPS and have about 5 hours on the amps. That being said, I hope this improves. So far I am not getting warmth from this set up. The sound stage is amazing so there is hope. Do I need to let these tubes burn in or will it not get much warmer? Is this a tube issue that could be changes with some tube rolling? If so what tubes should I be looking for? Anyway just wanted to give my thoughts and look for a little help...really hope this gets better. Thanks in advance

Tube equipment rarely comes with great tubes. You are still in the new range on those tubes, if your looking for warm tubes check out vintage mullards or brimar. Any of the vintage tubes are better than the new tubes.

Tube equipment rarely comes with great tubes. You are still in the new range on those tubes, if your looking for warm tubes check out vintage mullards or brimar. Any of the vintage tubes are better than the new tubes.

The OP hasn't said what the tubes are that are in the gear presently. That would help determine quality level and areas for possible improvement. Many new issue tubes are quite good with some outperforming 'vintage' in certain positions. Certainly some burn in time will improve the sound quality no matter what.

To the OP, give us a rundown of your tube compliment.

or....the amp is just doing its work properly and there is nothing to worry about.

I am of the opinion, that excessive "warmth" is sometimes actually a bug, and not a feature...

A proper tube amp or preamp should be a true "straight wire with gain". And, it's possible for that to happen more readily with tube gear (due to the less prevalent problem with higher-order harmonics and other non-harmonic distortion in tube amps, compared to solid state). It does take some careful design and execution, but it is possible...

Regards,
Gordon.

Thank you for the replies so far...
x3-the current tubes are the stock tubes that came with the GS-01 psvane el34-b's, 6n9p's, and 573pa is what is on the sides of the tube glass not sure of brand. The MS23b has the 12AX7's and again not sure of the brand.
I do have to say that this morning I have been running a few records and it does sound better than last night. However...I will try and give my impressions and I don't understand most of the terminology I've read on AK when describing sounds so I will give it my best shot. The middle range of sound seems to very far out infront much more when compared to the low end but less so than on the high frequencies. It seems to have no bottom end as compared to my 2230 and I like girls with big butts! I see where the overall is getting better I just don't think it will fix these issues. I think to be truly happy I will have to try some different tubes, I hope that helps.

Thanks again for any suggestions and help. I do hope I can make this sing. I can see the potential and after all it looks extremely cool!

Jason

The cost of chasing sound can cause a person to spend money, but after the tube rolling is done you can sell the left over tubes. Read the reviews from companies that make the same said tubes. Many have said that the 12UX7 is a softer, warmer sounding tube compared to the 12AX7. Then when it comes to tubes, a tube from a specific manufacturer does not sound the same in different peices of equipment unless you can find someone that has the same piece of equipment you have.....

I would recommend that even after you finish rolling tubes that you keep a lookout for military surplus tubes because the sound quality is even better and they don't burn out as easily over time. If you have a pair of the same kind of tube find a matched pair.....

Your amp produces just 8 wpc and probably less than that down around 40Hz. So I don't know how much strong, deep bass you can expect. As to tubes, those stock tubes are generally considered fairly low end. Perhaps they are okay, once broken in. I haven't used either of them. I would be inclined to replace the 6N9P tubes with vintage 6SL7 or VT-229. This is what I would do first if you want to tinker a bit. These tubes can be found for $10-$20 each. Sylvania, RCA, KEN-RAD, or GE are plentiful.

As to the EL34s, if it turns out that you want to try something else the new Electro Harmonix 6CA7s are pretty decent. At around $40/pr they won't break the bank. JJ KT77s are in the same price range and they are okay too.

Try using a good turntable with all analog vinyl and/or a good tubed FM radio like a Dyna FM3.

Hersey's aren't the world's most bass heavy speaker. And old receivers sometimes had a built in bass bost, which your new amp doesn't have. I can't speak for Marantz but similar vintage Sansui receivers had some bass contour which you may very well be used to, hence the missing "warmth".

Try and live with your new setup for a while, you may very well get used to it, and in the future find that the Marantz sounds coloured by comparison.

Hersey's aren't the world's most bass heavy speaker. And old receivers sometimes had a built in bass bost, which your new amp doesn't have. I can't speak for Marantz but similar vintage Sansui receivers had some bass contour which you may very well be used to, hence the missing "warmth".

Try and live with your new setup for a while, you may very well get used to it, and in the future find that the Marantz sounds coloured by comparison.

This, I got rid of mine almost the same week. Same thing when I got a pair of the Pro version KP-250s. Very disappointing sound, seemed like all mids and that horn tweeter was as obnoxious as the bullet horns in my D9s which I replaced as soon as I could with soft domes

Room acoustics have a big influence on the sound. This is something I really noticed with tube amps, tubed FM radios, tubed phono preamps, etc. back in the late 1980's when I first started experimenting with them. Try moving your system around to different rooms and/or different areas in your main music room. You can even try moving the speakers around, ie. point them at certain angles, change the distance between them, etc.

Last edited:
Buying a $380 Chinese amp and complaining about the sound is like buying a Yugo and complaining about the acceleration! The output transformers on all of my tube amps cost more than $380 and the output transformer is the most important component of the entire amplifier. Sure the power transformer and tubes are important, but the output transformer is the interface with the speakers and a tiny output transformer having no inductance will affect the frequency response most of all, particularly the bass. Have fun with your amp, just don't expect that you are hearing what a good quality tube amp can sound like. Installing better tubes in this thing is the same as painting racing stripes on the Yugo. It is still a Yugo!

This, I got rid of mine almost the same week. Same thing when I got a pair of the Pro version KP-250s. Very disappointing sound, seemed like all mids and that horn tweeter was as obnoxious as the bullet horns in my D9s which I replaced as soon as I could with soft domes

Yeah, some say that... I love the T35/K77 in my la scalas. Your "obnoxious" is my "crisp". Actually the tweeters and mids are the aspects of Klipsch heritage speakers I like the most.

I'd suggest letting the tubes burn-in for in between 50 to 100 hours at least before one starts to get too anxious.

As to cheap Chinese tube amps, I can only speak from my experience: a cheap Bowei amp decimated - sound wise - a CJ ET3SE / MV60SE combo in my system, and bettered a Line Magnetic LM-216ia. The only problem is that the Bowei died after one year of light use. :)

Heresy's are not the "warmest"-sounding speaker in the world and can be lacking in bass depending on the setup. I power some with a tube amp, but the speakers are dictating the tonal quality of the sound much more than the amp does. Either way, I'd give it some time and see if you "warm" up to it.

I am by no means going to give up on it yet. I understand it needs some burn in time. Think I will start looking into some tube rolling at some point in the near future as well. What are military surplus tubes and where would one find them? What are NOS tubes, is that a brand?

Does your Amp have output impedance tap choices? If you are using 8 ohm taps, try the 4 ohm connections or the 16's. See what they sound like.

This actually helped. I was on 8 and moved to 4 and the sound is much more tempered. THANKS! I can see the stage everyone speaks of and it is great. If tubes help temper even more as they burn it this could turn out very nice.

NOS stands for, New Old Stock, old tubes (or anything) that were manufactured, but for some reason not sold. Or were sold but not used. Still in like new condition.

Back
Top Bottom