What is a good integrated vintage solid-state amp w/ warmer, more musical sound

onanysunday

Listen carefully
Not too vintage though, as I need something with the following inputs: digital coaxial + optical digital + RCA + selectable phono MM / MC + 2 sets of stereo speaker inputs (speakers A+B)

Right now I have the Yamaha RX-Z1 receiver which was a TOTL model around the year 2000 costing several thousand. It's a great sounding multi-channel receiver but is lacking in the sort of musicality, warmth and excitement I like. Also, I picked it up for a very reasonable price of only a couple hundred dollars several years ago (which is the reason I have it)
but don't use hardly any of its features. Mainly just 2.1 ch audio with a turntable and playstation and satellite TV hooked up as inputs. I thought of getting something older with tubes of course, but I need the newer digital inputs while still maintaining a more natural, darker organic sound.

Perhaps something with less bright ultra-detail but more overall presence and realism. Lots of Yamaha products boast "natural sound" but I find most of the newer, solid state digital gear sounds less natural than the older gear that preceded it.

I am looking for the most warmth in an integrated with digital coax and/or optical digital + phono inputs. I don't doubt there are a lot of older amps out there with a much warmer sound than what I am constrained to looking for with the connections I need, but I do need the digital inputs and would like to try something other than the clinical, sterile sound of the 70 pound Yamaha and hope to find a more exciting sound that is a little more realistic and organic and fun to listen to. I'd sacrifice a bit of accuracy if it was more enjoyable to listen to for longer periods. I know it doesn't make sense in a way to expect much warmth from what I am limited to looking for, but I will say I found it a worthwhile pursuit to find and obtain some of the more organic sounding, earlier cd players in my collection (Nakamichi, Akai, Magnavox, Realisitic) that are definitely more involving to listen to on a separate basement sound system I have and sound very very close to an optimized vinyl setup in terms of how engaging the music is and how much it grabs hold of you.

I am looking for the most warmth in an integrated with digital coax and/or optical digital + phono inputs. I don't doubt there are a lot of older amps out there with a much warmer sound than what I am constrained to looking for with the connections I need, but I do need the digital inputs and would like to try something other than the clinical, sterile sound of the 70 pound Yamaha and hope to find a more exciting sound that is a little more realistic and organic and fun to listen to. I'd sacrifice a bit of accuracy if it was more enjoyable to listen to for longer periods. I know it doesn't make sense in a way to expect much warmth from what I am limited to looking for, but I will say I found it a worthwhile pursuit to find and obtain some of the more organic sounding, earlier cd players in my collection (Nakamichi, Akai, Magnavox, Realisitic) that are definitely more involving to listen to on a separate basement sound system I have and sound very very close to an optimized vinyl setup in terms of how engaging the music is and how much it grabs hold of you.
Nevermind..then..:rolleyes:

I am thinking it's got be no older than late eighties because I don't think they had digital coax or optical inputs on amplifiers prior to this time period.

I found an Akai AM-73 Reference Master Integrated on craigslist with all the features I need. But it's $425 and missing one its rosewood side panels. Otherwise it looks to be in great shape. Wondering if the Akai Integrateds are as warm as both their cdps I have from the mid/late eighties, the CD-A30 and the CD-32.. I told the guy $425 was a bit steep considering my Yamaha had a higher msrp than his and I bought mine for $300 used. He wouldn't trade for it, I already tried!

00W0W_ki3OvbVj1Ii_600x450.jpg

00a0a_ksJ0ogmkH4M_600x450.jpg

That's what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
You should get a vintage used power amp and get the latest and greatest preamp with all your DAC and all. Those stuffs are like fashion, today it's hot, tomorrow is old hack. High end power amps don't change much in the last 30 years. You buy a good one, it'll last your life time. Then you keep changing the preamp to keep up with the fashion.

Yamaha CA-800,1000 ,1010 or 2010..

I would agree with this recommendation combined with later ones to add an external DAC. I have a couple of the RX-V1 which are virtually identical inside to your Z1. They are great all around packages when you factor in the DACs, particularly for the money, but the sound is on the neutral rather than warm side. In AVR land, at one point I had a Denon AVR-4800 that I found had a warmer sound, though probably not better all around. The one that would do the trick would be the Marantz SR-18 series. Legendary for their warm sound quality, but alas also for their propensity to blow up like mine did.

The Akai would be an interesting choice. Never heard one but I had the AT-93 tuner from that range and it is one of the all time greats. They are quite rare however and never seem to go for bargain prices.

Given your extensive list of needs, including MC phono, getting it all in one box with the sound quality and sonic signature you seek for a low price might be asking a lot.

What preamp would be recommended that has MM/MC phono, optical and digital coax? Even if it just has one MM phono input that would suffice.

It's kind of funny that there are always way too many RCA and video jacks on typical AVRs that never get used which is part of the reason I don't like them. They should spend the money on tweaking for better sound instead of including way more inputs than any reasonable person could ever simultaneously use in 3 lifetimes. My 70 pounder RX-Z1 (below) has 12 S-video jacks, 12 composite video, 25 sets of RCAs! Keep in mind the Z1 was designed for home and not professional use.. I like to work on my own equipment but I wouldn't want to tackle the Z1 with a 10-foot pole. It is wasted use of materials and space on the unit- making it far too complex and difficult to service if the need should arise. Ludicrous and it boggles the mind to consider it. But, it's been a trusty and very reliable unit for the past 17 years except the headphone out now sounds tinny and distant.

rx.JPG

Last edited:
Warm sounding integrated, musical as heck. Easy! McIntosh MA 5100. Nobody did SS with those attributes so well. If you can live with a receiver, the Marantz Model 18 or McIntosh MAC 1700 are superb choices. You'd also like the Sansui 4000 receiver. Also, the Sony STR 6120 is another one worthy of consideration.

I would agree with this recommendation combined with later ones to add an external DAC. I have a couple of the RX-V1 which are virtually identical inside to your Z1. They are great all around packages when you factor in the DACs, particularly for the money, but the sound is on the neutral rather than warm side. In AVR land, at one point I had a Denon AVR-4800 that I found had a warmer sound, though probably not better all around. The one that would do the trick would be the Marantz SR-18 series. Legendary for their warm sound quality, but alas also for their propensity to blow up like mine did.

The Akai would be an interesting choice. Never heard one but I had the AT-93 tuner from that range and it is one of the all time greats. They are quite rare however and never seem to go for bargain prices.

Given your extensive list of needs, including MC phono, getting it all in one box with the sound quality and sonic signature you seek for a low price might be asking a lot.
It's actually like asking for the moon. :D

Not too vintage though, as I need something with the following inputs: digital coaxial + optical digital + RCA + selectable phono MM / MC + 2 sets of stereo speaker inputs (speakers A+B)

I am looking for the most warmth in an integrated with digital coax and/or optical digital + phono inputs.

What preamp would be recommended that has MM/MC phono, optical and digital coax?

@onanysunday your asking for the moon in a receiver or integrated, what your trying to do can be done with separates though.

I found an Akai AM-73 Reference Master Integrated on craigslist with all the features I need. But it's $425

And if your blocking about spending $425 there is no sense in me trying to recommend any separate system. While you might find a AVR with the digital inputs and a phono stage, it will not have a MC stage. I also would not put sound quality in any good class with 99% of AVR out there.

You're absolutely right. The funny thing is that I could live with just 5 inputs on an amplifier, if they were just the right (most commonly used) inputs. I consider myself a pretty typical listening "consumer customer" when it comes to my sources: Playstation, Satellite TV, tunrntable, iPod. I find it a bit strange this is an uncommon setup for what consumers want in an amplifier.

Last edited:
You're absolutely right. The funny things is that I could live with just 5 inputs on an amplifier, if they were just the right (most commonly used) inputs. I consider myself a pretty typical listening "consumer customer" when it comes to my sources: Playstation, Satellite TV, tunrntable, iPod. I find it a bit unusual this is an uncommon setup for what consumers want in an amplifier.
I certainly understand the motivation and certainly hope you are able to find what you're looking for but most likely you'll have to live with a compromise or two. Why exactly are you looking for a moving coil input?

I find it a bit strange this is an uncommon setup for what consumers want in an amplifier.

It's not all that uncommon, just in one box. And from a sound quality stand point, less in the box sounds better. So most people "BUILD a SYSTEM" to get what your looking for.

Back
Top Bottom