High Powered 80s receivers

Luxman R-117 -- 160 wpc
NAD 7600 -- 150 wpc
NAD 7400 -- 100 wpc (?)
Sony STR-GX10ES -- 150 wpc
Sony STR-GX9ES -- 120 wpc
Onkyo TX-85 -- 80 wpc (cool looling display)
Carver The Receiver -- 130 wpc
Carver MXR 130 -- 130 wpc
Carver HR-772 -- 150 wpc
Concept 12.0D -- 120 wpc
Kenwood Galaxy Commander -- 120 wpc
Yamaha R-2000 -- 150 wpc

From memory...
That concept 12.0d Looks like something I would like to have

Sansui made their XX00z series in the early 80's. The most powerful was the 9900z with 160 watts/channel @8 ohms. I had a 5900z (75 watts) that was very well built and sounded great. These were made right before Sansui's quality went downhill.

I have to disagree about their quality going down hill as a blanket statement. I have a 120 WPC S-X1200 that I use often. Also, my AU-X711 is awesome. They made amazing gear up through 1999.

The Z-9000X is a high power 80's receiver.

Rob

Sansui AU-G99x.

Currently, even after a full rebuild/recap, the damned left channel has acted up again.

It's a beastly 160 wpc with what they called "x-balanced technology" which has been explained to me as 2 amps per side, bridged.....or something.

All I know is that I've spent far too much on it over the last 30 years, but when she runs, she is mean.

52-604x270.jpg

If Lord Vader had an amplifier, it'd be this one.
that looks like a mean machine and I like your posts. Fun to read. Not sure about the x-balanced something-or-another, WTF.

Man, you guys need to start including some nudies. Good golly, this is a bit boring without. You can say this-or-that, but lets show some pics.
(unless someone wants to whine "google" or "server space" - have at it, don't care)

they are nice reasonably priced also but I read somewhere they have tuner problems but I agree one of the best looking ones
kyoR861.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That concept 12.0d Looks like something I would like to have

The 12.0D has a fully sythesized FM tuner which means that the tuner is as fast as any modern digital tuner. The presets are kept by a standby transformer so there is no battery that inevitably leaks causing PCB damage. The amp section features a toroidal transformer and metal die T-03 outputs. Great sounding amp section, it is in my top ten.

I think the wood sides on a receiver really make it look so much better .It seems in the 80s they got away from the wood and aluminium and went to plastic ...Kinda a shame quality and pride in the product went down so much but there are people who would disagree with me on this I'm sure

It also seems ..Correct me if I'm wrong but there were a lot more manufactures of stereos back then ..It looks like the technics 1010 is a 80s receiver that gets respect

Yamaha R-9 - 125 watts, I use mine most everyday and it has an excellent tuner.
Yamaha RX-1100U - 100wpc.

You beat me to the punch!! I have both of these fine Yamaha receivers and they are great sounding receivers from the mid 80s. The R-9 was Yamaha's top of the line receiver in 1985/86, followed by the RX-1100u in 1987/88. I still have them and will never sell them off since they are great performers and built like a tank.

I just hope that someday I'll be able to have the alloy faceplates refinished to bring them back to their full glory.

Also, Yamaha's second best receivers from the same period's line-up, the R-8 and the RX-900u are top performers as well.

they are nice reasonably priced also but I read somewhere they have tuner problems but I agree one of the best looking ones
kyoR861.jpg
[/QUOTE]
I have a Kyocera R651 that I bought new in 1982. I've had repairs done to the amplifier section and the tuner repaired. It is such a nice musical receiver that I keep it mostly for nostalgic sake. It is powering some OLA Advents and Phase Tech 745s in my basement old school system.

Onkyo made a series of Integra Receivers which have a very good reputation. I have one of them in the stack somewhere that is a sixty five watt. I used it for years as my bedroom system. I can't remember the letter in the front of the wattage, but I think I remember an 88 watt and a 120 watt unit.

I have a Kyocera R651 that I bought new in 1982. I've had repairs done to the amplifier section and the tuner repaired. It is such a nice musical receiver that I keep it mostly for nostalgic sake. It is powering some OLA Advents and Phase Tech 745s in my basement old school system.[/QUOTE]
Hi there, i Just get the receiver but somethings wrong with the AMP section. I am looking for a Service Manual but couldnt find. If you have one maybe you could send it to me: nilsgross@gmx.de. appreciate your effort

Back
Top Bottom