JBL 4301B / L36 Stack - 125a driver re-foam question

I'm sure certain pairing/stacking of speakers can lead to "better" sound. Although that as well would be fairly subjective. I enjoyed the experiment, now to figure out what to do and what set to keep.

Still trying to find a nice set of ADS speakers. I hear so many good things about them on this forum.

Stacking speakers can never sound good, and works against each speaker. It's a teenager thing to do, more noise and less hifi. It's not very clever.

Wel, it does have some precedence - solid reviews BITD of stacked Advent Lousdspeakers, stacked Quads in the HQD system, even some stacked Dahquist DQ10's and others. One could say that the early MTM D'appolito configuration arose from stacking speakers, then distilling them down to two mid woofers and only a single tweeter, of course with a crossover designed to work with that system.

The problem is the stacked systems even using similar or same speakers with original crossovers have many different interaction possibilities, plus the relative or perceived outputs of the drivers probably requiring L-pad adjustment, tweaking, or even redesign for the whole. And we're not yet getting into combing effects from driver spacing and imaging issues from multiple driver sources.

So it does open up a fairly large set of troubleshooting issues trying to dial in a stacked pair of speakers, if they can be. But it's harmless fun to try it out and see what happens, and then experiment with mods or treatments. The fun is trying things out, good or bad he/we learn something.

For example, one option here is to cut both the tweeters down by 1/2 volume each and then slowly bring each up to taste. Same for the mid control on the L36. I would also suggest inverting both sets of speakers to keep the woofers far apart and the mid/tweets closer together, the more classic way of stacking ( MTM configuration ). Also play them with grilles on as that cuts the HF a little.

Also, the right side speakers are in the corner close to the wall, so they will get a lot of boundary reinforcement of all the frequencies there. I would suggest as a temporary measure to hang a heavy fuzzy blanket on that side wall. Even when the speakers are run solo, that would be a benefit.

I'm sure certain pairing/stacking of speakers can lead to "better" sound. Although that as well would be fairly subjective. I enjoyed the experiment, now to figure out what to do and what set to keep.

Still trying to find a nice set of ADS speakers. I hear so many good things about them on this forum.

See my post above, I suspect there's still more quality to gain.

I disagree with zoom, I have stacked two pairs of 4312's laying horizontally tweeter to tweeter (4312's are mirrored) and it sounded exceptional. (4 ohm parallel) I plugged the ports on both pairs with zilch plugs. If the drivers are close enough together and identical, (IME at least), they couple together. Most noticeably the 2213H's sounded huge and had accurate on-pitch lows with no kick-drummy boom boom bass effects these types are known for.. There was no ill effects on the sound stage and image either.

If you have the means, i highly recommend it. It is a setup i regret letting go of, I admit I let audiophiles trick me into thinking it was an inferior arrangement.

For example, one option here is to cut both the tweeters down by 1/2 volume each and then slowly bring each up to taste. Same for the mid control on the L36. I would also suggest inverting both sets of speakers to keep the woofers far apart and the mid/tweets closer together, the more classic way of stacking ( MTM configuration ). Also play them with grilles on as that cuts the HF a little.

Also, the right side speakers are in the corner close to the wall, so they will get a lot of boundary reinforcement of all the frequencies there. I would suggest as a temporary measure to hang a heavy fuzzy blanket on that side wall. Even when the speakers are run solo, that would be a benefit.

Funny you say this, I did mess with the brilliance and presence knobs on the L36 quite a bit. At one point I turned them down completely so only the woofer was active. It sounded a little better, but still not as good as playing each individually.

Currently I have both the presence and brilliance on the L36 set to -2.5 and HFL to -1 on the 4301b.

Ill try horizontal later and see how that goes.

Try setting up with the tweeters vertically in the center instead of woofers in center.

Quick update on this, stacking wasn't good. But after a month of listening, I have to say i much prefer the 4301bs. Much tighter bass than the L36 as well as better high end. The low end on the L36 was more sloppy and boomy, could very well be due to the room settup and configuration, but either way, the 4301Bs are keepers.

I may movie the L36 back home to a larger room, away from a corner and walls to see if they tighten up.

Interesting observations since the L36 and 4301 use similar paper come tweeters, wonder if the L36 crossover could use a refurb? You might try loosely or tightly plugging the L36 port to make it more of a sealed cabinet which should tighten up the bass at the expense of bass extension as it does for the larger JBl bookshelves?

Stacking speakers can never sound good, and works against each speaker. It's a teenager thing to do, more noise and less hifi. It's not very clever.
Not always. Besides the many that do it with Advents with good results, I did it for a while with KLH Sixs. Sounded phenomenal. The general consensus is to stack with the top speakers upside down so the tweeters are closer together. With the JBL's more forward sound, I can understand why it didn't work out. Did you try reducing the tweeter output levels with the pots?

Regarding the volume setting on your computer, I have mine set at full, and adjust it with my pre-amp. The DAC has no volume control.

Glenn

Did you try reducing the tweeter output levels with the pots?

Regarding the volume setting on your computer, I have mine set at full, and adjust it with my pre-amp. The DAC has no volume control.

Glenn

Yes, messed with pots quite a bit.

Thanks for the insight on the computer volume. I usually have my main PC volume at 50%, and my tidal volume at around 50% also. This leaves my Rega unit at the 9 oclock position for acceptable office setting volumes.... if i want to crank it, I shut the door, and turn up the tidal volume to 100.

If I leave the master PC volume and tidal volume at 100, the volume at the rega gets loud very fast... doesn't seem like that would be the best way.

Yes, messed with pots quite a bit.

Thanks for the insight on the computer volume. I usually have my main PC volume at 50%, and my tidal volume at around 50% also. This leaves my Rega unit at the 9 oclock position for acceptable office setting volumes.... if i want to crank it, I shut the door, and turn up the tidal volume to 100.

If I leave the master PC volume and tidal volume at 100, the volume at the rega gets loud very fast... doesn't seem like that would be the best way.
Every pre-amp is different, so stick with what's working for you.
My setup for streaming is a Mac Pro Tower, optical from the Mac to the DAC, RCA from the DAC to the AUX on my per-amp. At normal listening volume, the volume knob is usually at 9 o/clock setting.

Back
Top Bottom