OC 703 panels without frames?

mhedges

I've been able to source OC703 locally and I'm getting ready to do another room treatment build. When I built my Roxul panels the white wood for the frames was the biggest expense, and since the OC703 is rigid I'd like to build these without frames.

My question is - how do you secure the cloth covering to the panels? And how do you hang them? I'm assuming staples aren't going to work. Maybe some kind of glue?

I did that in my first recording studio. Use a piece of accustically transparent cloth wider than the batten and a little longer than the length of the batten sew up the long sides, turn it inside out, stuff it and hand sew up the open end. Hang it on a small nail

I think I'm just going to make a small frame out of 1x2"s that will go on the back of the panel. The wood shouldn't cost too much and that will give me something to staple to and mount hardware to hang from the walls. Also it will bring the panel out from the wall a bit which I read somewhere made it more effective.

I think I'm just going to make a small frame out of 1x2"s that will go on the back of the panel. The wood shouldn't cost too much and that will give me something to staple to and mount hardware to hang from the walls. Also it will bring the panel out from the wall a bit which I read somewhere made it more effective.

That's how I built most of my panels.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/diy-absorption-panels.445703/

Whoops...wrong link. This one uses the 1x2 for frame...

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/portable-diy-absorption-panel-build.572781/

Yes...so that when I integrated the legs into the frame you would see the narrow dimension of the lumber/leg (1") when viewed from the front (less conspicuous).

Yes...so that when I integrated the legs into the frame you would see the narrow dimension of the lumber/leg (1") when viewed from the front (less conspicuous).

That's right I forgot about the stands. Well mine are going to be wall mounted.

Are these panels you're about to build going in the room with the NHT/Yamaha/Sony system? That's a sweet system, BTW.

Are these panels you're about to build going in the room with the NHT/Yamaha/Sony system? That's a sweet system, BTW.

Thanks.

Yes they are going to go in there. I have a full bale of 12 panels. At least 6 of them will be used for corner traps. I haven't decided what I'm going to do with the other 6 yet.

Your system thread said you have eight panels currently. Is that still the case? Two on front wall, two on back wall, and where are the other four? Two on each side wall or one on each side wall and two on the ceiling?

Your system thread said you have eight panels currently. Is that still the case? Two on front wall, two on back wall, and where are the other four? Two on each side wall or one on each side wall and two on the ceiling?

Yep - still have eight:

Two front wall
Two back wall
Two left wall
One right wall corner (there is a corner midwall due to the closet)
One on the ceiling

Sounds like you have all early reflection points addressed, so if you want to use the extra panels for more bass trapping you could have a few or more straddling the wall to ceiling corners.

http://www.gikacoustics.com/mounting-bass-traps-corners/

Yep that's my plan. 2 in each of the three available corners, mounted diagonally. I plan on cutting mitered corners on the panels, then tacking the cut off material on the back somehow.

I can't do anything with the fourth corner because that's where the door is. But I was also going to try some in the wall-ceiling corners like in your link.

Back
Top Bottom