Tekton Owners Thread

I really wanted to try a pair of these but Eric said that you need to be at least 3 feet away from the side wall for them to sound their best which would not work in my small space.
He explained that the sound is kind of like a figure 8.

I have at least that and have not tried them any closer. Obviously, Eric would know best. It may be impossible to find but keep an eye out for the OB6.5s. They required less space and were very impressive in their own right.

Nice set up Sunny. The Sigma's have always intrigued me and I'd like to give them a try someday. I had the Mapleshade Double Helix for a while and was shocked that such a great thin wire could sound so good. They were a bit too bright in my system and I ended up going with Cerious Technology Graphene Extreme cables. Cables can be a great way to tailor the sound of a system. I bet the Mapleshades are a great match for the Sigma's.

Nice set up Sunny. The Sigma's have always intrigued me and I'd like to give them a try someday. I had the Mapleshade Double Helix for a while and was shocked that such a great thin wire could sound so good. They were a bit too bright in my system and I ended up going with Cerious Technology Graphene Extreme cables. Cables can be a great way to tailor the sound of a system. I bet the Mapleshades are a great match for the Sigma's.
Thanks! I started with Golden Helix wires and have them in two other systems. They are the only wire upgrade I have tried and have been satisfied with them using a variety of speakers, none of which I would describe as bright. Also, they have always been run with tubes, vintage SS or my Rega kit which is definitely not bright. I would like to try something different for comparison though.

Hi All - I have a pair of Enzo's I am looking to unload. Custom finished with golden oak. I would put them at a 7/10 cosmetically with a small dent from shipping in the front left. About 2.5 years old, but function perfectly. Anyone interested? Retail new would be $1995 now given the custom finish and grills. Have the original boxes as well. Anyone interested? Can provide account references via Audiogon and Ebay.

Attachments

• ENZO.jpg
    ENZO.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 77
I was a tekton pendragon owner for about 11 months. I loved my Pens. Music was great but movies were incredible. I wanted speakers that could play all kinds of music. And the Pendragons did very well. After listening to many speaker brands,from $150 to $100,000+ (CES) I can tell you there is no such thing as the perfect speaker. Some shine here but lack there and vice versa. Went to CES last year and left with a huge smile on my face because the only sistem I liked more than mine was a $18,000 set of speakers with over $12,000 in equipment. Really?? yes!!! Then I found out Eric had just come out with the double impacts and placed an order to compare them to my dear Pens. After 2 hrs of listening, switching between them, I realized that Eric had created a new speaker that topped the pens . Sold the pendragons 2 days after that and I am placing an order on the DI center channel. Double Impact is just spectacular.

Attachments

• 20170213_200107.jpg
    20170213_200107.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 74
Sunny,
"Bright" probably wasn't the best description....maybe less organic would be better. When I say "less" it's only by the slightest margin. Had I not heard the Cerious cables I would have been very happy with the Double Helix Plus. Both the Mapleshade and Cerious cables are very good and great values and would make great additions to most any system. For me the combination of the Decware Torii amp with NOS RCA blackplate output tubes and NOS Mullard input tubes with Cerious Technologies cables and the Double Impacts creates beautiful music. Thankfully there are many ways to achieve such results.

Sunny,
"Bright" probably wasn't the best description....maybe less organic would be better. When I say "less" it's only by the slightest margin. Had I not heard the Cerious cables I would have been very happy with the Double Helix Plus. Both the Mapleshade and Cerious cables are very good and great values and would make great additions to most any system. For me the combination of the Decware Torii amp with NOS RCA blackplate output tubes and NOS Mullard input tubes with Cerious Technologies cables and the Double Impacts creates beautiful music. Thankfully there are many ways to achieve such results.
I'm running the original Golden Helix with my recapped Scott 299 which, as I'm sure you know, is Mapleshade's "thing". They are a very nice match. Great picture of your pup, by the way!

I'm a big Mapleshade fan and customer. I'm using their Heavy feet and 4" maple platforms under my components and speakers. I have many of their CDs also. I have an all original Scott 340-B receiver that sounds amazing but don't have anywhere to use......which is too bad as it looks great all lit up and would sound great with a pair of Lores.

Thanks. While pit bulls have a bad rep, they really are lovers instead of fighters......and he's certainly a lover!

I was a tekton pendragon owner for about 11 months. I loved my Pens. Music was great but movies were incredible. I wanted speakers that could play all kinds of music. And the Pendragons did very well. After listening to many speaker brands,from $150 to $100,000+ (CES) I can tell you there is no such thing as the perfect speaker. Some shine here but lack there and vice versa. Went to CES last year and left with a huge smile on my face because the only sistem I liked more than mine was a $18,000 set of speakers with over $12,000 in equipment. Really?? yes!!! Then I found out Eric had just come out with the double impacts and placed an order to compare them to my dear Pens. After 2 hrs of listening, switching between them, I realized that Eric had created a new speaker that topped the pens . Sold the pendragons 2 days after that and I am placing an order on the DI center channel. Double Impact is just spectacular.

Angelp, what are your impressions on the difference between the Pendragons and the Double Impacts?
I'm loving my Pendragons, can't believe it can get better than this!
I see the new Pendragons have an updated crossover, might give Eric a call and see if I can upgrade mine.

Angelp, what are your impressions on the difference between the Pendragons and the Double Impacts?
I'm loving my Pendragons, can't believe it can get better than this!
I see the new Pendragons have an updated crossover, might give Eric a call and see if I can upgrade mine.
Please note I dont have an audiophile vocabulary, so I will do my best to explain my experience.
The first difference I notice right away was the bass. The DI slam a bit more...not much but enough to notice right away. That being said...the Pen's bass seemed a bit more controlled sometimes..Please note that this comparision was made with no break in time on the DI...as I write this post Im listening to the DI and the bass seems to be getting tighter and more controlled. In my room the DI did not sound any bigger than the Pens..the sound stage was the same.The big difference was in the mids...the drums, congas and vocals where just more alive on the DI. I could feel the guitar's cords vibrating, it was impressive. Its like somehow you can hear and feel the music. Hard to explain. I was worried that the 7 tweeter set up was going to be harsh.... MAN I WAS WRONG!!! I can tell now that every person that makes a comment about the DI looks and impresion of hashness is because they know nothing about speaker desing. The DI are sweet.. The way Eric uses the tweeters is brilliant. They are set for each to play a different freq creating a perfect match between all 7 of them..I cant tell for sure but it seems like the 6 mid drivers are not doing a lot of upper midrange duty at all..I feel like they take away some of the stress the 10 inch woofers on the pendragons have.Making the double impact seem like is working less hard than the Pens and more efficent. The 4ohm DI sounded like 1or 2 db louder than the 4ohm pendragon at the same volume. The pendragon is an amazing speaker and I feel unless you have the money to spend, you shouldnt worry about not having the DI. Unless you are able to sell the pens and only pay outta pocket 1,500 for the DI. To pay full 3,000 for the DI is a steal, but you wont hear 3 times better sound than the Pens( hope that makes sense).

I'm a big Mapleshade fan and customer. I'm using their Heavy feet and 4" maple platforms under my components and speakers. I have many of their CDs also. I have an all original Scott 340-B receiver that sounds amazing but don't have anywhere to use......which is too bad as it looks great all lit up and would sound great with a pair of Lores.

Thanks. While pit bulls have a bad rep, they really are lovers instead of fighters......and he's certainly a lover!
Getting off topic here but I'm listening to Andy McCloud's Gentlemen of Jazz "Blues for Bighead" on the Mapleshade label. They are outstanding recordings, like you are the studio.

Jaybirds, angelp's description is right on. The DI could be thought of as a souped up Pendragon. While I love my DI's I think I'd be very happy with the Pendragons, but they are differant animals. The DI is a four way speaker whereas the pendragon is a three way. Eric said the DI's have a bit more of a refined audiophile sound than the dragons and were his best measured speakers ever.......flat from 30-20k Hz ( I might have those numbers slightly wrong). The Pendragons are great speakers and the DI's and take things to another level. The DI's constantly amaze me with how they can be total rockin beasts one moment yet still be as delicate and detailed you could want at low levels another moment. I know I'm biased, but they're the perfect speaker for me.

Angelp, give your DI's about 100 hours and the bass will impress you further.

I will concur with many here.......price spent on a component doesn't necessarily equate to sonic performance. I've had $15,000 amps that didn't sound any better than my current $3,600 integrated amp. Tekton speakers are a great example of that as they better than most big name speakers costing many times more. I've found Tektons not to be fussy regarding amplification. I've used 10 watt vintage tube amps to 200 watt solid state Odyssey Kismet Monoblocks ( which produced insane sound levels) and have settled on a 20 watt Raven Audio integrated tube amp......at least for now ;) Eric prefers huge solid state amps to drive his speakers while I prefer small tube amps. It's all about your preference in sound. My experience is that Tektons will give out what you put into them without coloration so just choose an amp you like and the Tektons will reward you with whatever sound that amp provides. My Raven drives my Double Impacts easily and produces plenty of volume and I'll be driving my new Lore Reference with a 150 watt Proceed solid state amp in a small home theater system.
I will concur with many here.......price spent on a component doesn't necessarily equate to sonic performance. I've had $15,000 amps that didn't sound any better than my current $3,600 integrated amp. Tekton speakers are a great example of that as they better than most big name speakers costing many times more. I've found Tektons not to be fussy regarding amplification. I've used 10 watt vintage tube amps to 200 watt solid state Odyssey Kismet Monoblocks ( which produced insane sound levels) and have settled on a 20 watt Raven Audio integrated tube amp......at least for now ;) Eric prefers huge solid state amps to drive his speakers while I prefer small tube amps. It's all about your preference in sound. My experience is that Tektons will give out what you put into them without coloration so just choose an amp you like and the Tektons will reward you with whatever sound that amp provides. My Raven drives my Double Impacts easily and produces plenty of volume and I'll be driving my new Lore Reference with a 150 watt Proceed solid state amp in a small home theater system.
Jaybirds, angelp's description is right on. The DI could be thought of as a souped up Pendragon. While I love my DI's I think I'd be very happy with the Pendragons, but they are differant animals. The DI is a four way speaker whereas the pendragon is a three way. Eric said the DI's have a bit more of a refined audiophile sound than the dragons and were his best measured speakers ever.......flat from 30-20k Hz ( I might have those numbers slightly wrong). The Pendragons are great speakers and the DI's and take things to another level. The DI's constantly amaze me with how they can be total rockin beasts one moment yet still be as delicate and detailed you could want at low levels another moment. I know I'm biased, but they're the perfect speaker for me.

Angelp, give your DI's about 100 hours and the bass will impress you further.

I'm relatively new to audio system and enjoy your conversation on the DI. To all the existing DI owners, I'm wondering will a 20 watts tube amps be able to drive the DI sufficiently? Can you share your experience please!

Back
Top Bottom