So What is Still Able to Compete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I don't think Quad 57's or KEF 107's would be out of place in those rooms. Haven't owned much other "top shelf" gear from that era, just these two speakers, but I find them very good. Certainly they were in the same class (or better) than the KEF LS50's I had.

My limited ears on would agree.....no disguising quality from the more modern vintage engineering done well. (My vintage KEF 104/2s step into that arena truly decently......would love to hear 107s.)

As for power amps, have there been any significant improvements on the basic 3-stage, Lin topology that originated in the 1950's?

This is a question, not an assertion...

We'll a Klipschorn or Cornwall of old can compete with todays Heritage models. Even though its two much power a Mcintosh 3500 is preferred by some of us over the current tube stuff from Mac as it is all tube and not a hybrid. Using a Mac C-28 pre-amp with an Ampex ATR 102 will easily out perform any turntable made today and they are both analog.

I was recently listening to an interview with Edgar Villchur, one of the fonders of Acoustic Research, and he was speaking about an experiment that they did where they had a live musician play on stage and recorded that performance then played it back to the audience that had just heard said performance and they couldn't tell the difference. I don't know the details of the experiment, but if accurate it shows that the equipment made in the 1960's could reproduce music well enough to mimic a live performance.

Isn't that pretty much the point? If it could do that in 1960something doesn't it make sense that it does indeed compete with modern equipment? He lists the equipment used in the interview, but I'm not familiar with the models he mentions, although the manufacturers of the recording and playback equipment are very familiar. Also, if they could do that back then, wouldn't modern equipment just do the same thing?

I was recently listening to an interview with Edgar Villchur, one of the fonders of Acoustic Research, and he was speaking about an experiment that they did where they had a live musician play on stage and recorded that performance then played it back to the audience that had just heard said performance and they couldn't tell the difference. I don't know the details of the experiment, but if accurate it shows that the equipment made in the 1960's could reproduce music well enough to mimic a live performance.

Isn't that pretty much the point? If it could do that in 1960something doesn't it make sense that it does indeed compete with modern equipment? He lists the equipment used in the interview, but I'm not familiar with the models he mentions, although the manufacturers of the recording and playback equipment are very familiar. Also, if they could do that back then, wouldn't modern equipment just do the same thing?

I don't know if that is the point for everyone. That live performance was with non-amplified instruments. Big difference today. I know I don't own anything that can reproduce live or my hearing is better than the folks Edgar had in the audience.

That and what Ken Boyd said are the spirit of this exercise.

So far the only things I can find that "in general" are difficult to beat are speakers. Again, generally I feel modern speakers have the edge on looks, which is opposite most other components, and sound-for-size. A good modern bookshelf will most likely best quite a few mid-sized vintage floor standers...or not? I think so, but I would love to be proven wrong...
I agree with ya Manny.I think speakers have improved the most over the years.While I love many vintage speakers I think they can be bested by todays modern designs and materials.How much are you willing to spend to do that is another debate.

I agree with ya Manny.I think speakers have improved the most over the years.While I love many vintage speakers I think they can be bested by todays modern designs and materials.How much are you willing to spend to do that is another debate.

You know, I don't doubt this at all...but in my gear I've had the opposite experience.

I just haven't personally heard many modern speakers to know any better. I've heard and owned KEF LS50's and Wharfedale Diamond 9.6's. Not exactly the pinnacle of modern design (although both fairly good). For vintage speakers, I've owned KEF 107's, Quad ESL 57's, Magnepan 2.7QR's, Apogee Centaur, Bozak B-305...so some pretty good stuff. They all were essentially "as good" as the heralded KEF LS50's (although those are considered "budget" audiophile speakers). So I've been impressed with vintage speakers so far.

The only "high-end" modern speakers I've heard were Wilson somethings...they were impressive, but it's been awhile since I've heard them. I don't know if I'd even want them or prefer them that much over say my KEF 107's. Would need another audition. Oh yes, also Legacy Focus...those were pretty great but again I'd need another audition.

With vintage amplification, not so much luck...although again I haven't owned much. I bought two "restored" amps and both had problems and/or were not a good match with my speakers...so were sold off. They did sound good, when they worked. I've been buying more modern amplification since then...just don't want to deal with the trouble. Some day I would like to try out a higher end "restored" vintage amp...Citation, McIntosh, Marantz 8b...something along those lines.

You know, I don't doubt this at all...but in my gear I've had the opposite experience.

I just haven't personally heard many modern speakers to know any better. I've heard and owned KEF LS50's and Wharfedale Diamond 9.6's. Not exactly the pinnacle of modern design (although both fairly good). For vintage speakers, I've owned KEF 107's, Quad ESL 57's, Magnepan 2.7QR's, Apogee Centaur, Bozak B-305...so some pretty good stuff. They all were essentially "as good" as the heralded KEF LS50's (although those are considered "budget" audiophile speakers). So I've been impressed with vintage speakers so far.

The only "high-end" modern speakers I've heard were Wilson somethings...they were impressive, but it's been awhile since I've heard them. I don't know if I'd even want them or prefer them that much over say my KEF 107's. Would need another audition. Oh yes, also Legacy Focus...those were pretty great but again I'd need another audition.

With vintage amplification, not so much luck...although again I haven't owned much. I bought two "restored" amps and both had problems and/or were not a good match with my speakers...so were sold off. They did sound good, when they worked. I've been buying more modern amplification since then...just don't want to deal with the trouble. Some day I would like to try out a higher end "restored" vintage amp...Citation, McIntosh, Marantz 8b...something along those lines.
I've heard of all those speakers but not actually heard any of them.Sounds like you've been around the block a time or two.So much gear so little time.:(

I'm currently using a recapped Accuphase E-303x, and it sounds damn good*. I expect that it would be competitive with at least some new <$2500 integrated amps.

*associated equipment: Electrocompaniet EMC-1UP (1st gen.) CD player; Harbeth P3ESR speakers; Audience Au24 interconnects and speaker cables

Greetings from a forum newbie.
The real question is:
what is able to compete of modern components when compared to the best vintage (refreshed) components, if they are priced the same today? :)
Not much, if we're talking about amps and preamps.
It's a different story when we come to speakers, CD players, DACs, headphones, head-amps, cables... I wouldn't choose those among vintage gear (except some legendary CD players which are often very expensive). But amps and preamps - for the same amount of money payed today - IF you know what to look for among vintage gear... modern has no chance to beat it, in my experience. With some exceptions, like JOB by Goldmund.

The real question is:
what is able to compete of modern components when compared to the best vintage (refreshed) components, if they are priced the same today? :)
It's a different story when we come to speakers, CD players, DACs, headphones, head-amps, cables... I wouldn't choose those among vintage gear (except some legendary CD players which are often very expensive). But amps and preamps - for the same amount of money payed today - IF you know what to look for among vintage gear... modern has no chance to beat it, in my experience. With some exceptions, like JOB by Goldmund.

You forgot turntables! And welcome to AK.

The real question is:

Yes welcome!

Thanks for the welcome!
You're right, I forgot turntables - because I don't have one, I'm a CD guy.

CDs are fun but you're missing out on real fun without a turntable!

Cleaning records, fussing over setup, vibration control, carts carts carts! And did I mention you no longer have to worry about money? You won't have any to worry about!

CDs are fun but you're missing out on real fun without a turntable!

Cleaning records, fussing over setup, vibration control, carts carts carts! And did I mention you no longer have to worry about money? You won't have any to worry about!
Oh, I'll have even more fun one day when I get Pioneer RT-909 or Akai GX-747 :biggrin: and I don't worry about the money, because I spend it before I earn it :D on CDs and travelling to concerts (since here we rarely get great concerts).

Last edited:
While attending AK Fests, it was the member rooms playing combinations of vintage gear, home-brew speakers and amps, and newer equipment that impressed me the most.

I guess we would need to agree on some criteria that define the word "compete" to properly answer this question.

I guess we would need to agree on some criteria that define the word "compete" to properly answer this question.

Ok that sounds good. How about this:

VPI Prime
Jasmine (or similar) preamp figure the price is no more than 2k but closer to 1k
Sanders Sound Mag Tech amp
B&W 804 speakers.

Can anyone name a vintage system that can meet or beat this one assuming all has been refurbished? Maybe if you don't feel the entire system can be met or beaten, which component? Have a different higher or lower budget system? Post it.

Ok that sounds good. How about this:

VPI Prime
Jasmine (or similar) preamp figure the price is no more than 2k but closer to 1k
Sanders Sound Mag Tech amp
B&W 804 speakers.

Can anyone name a vintage system that can meet or beat this one assuming all has been refurbished? Maybe if you don't feel the entire system can be met or beaten, which component? Have a different higher or lower budget system? Post it.

Still not sure what the criteria is for "meet or beat" .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom