Bought a Mercedes today :)

Not doing anything with heads AT THIS TIME. Am going to change exhaust manifolds over to euro logs and redo cat/mufflers. Doing more research on problems getting exhaust bolts out without breaking or pulling out threads on alum heads.

A bump, got most of the work I thought was needed on this car and then some. Put in new exhaust system and now need to get in some seat time,

Attachments

• Glammer Shots19852015.jpg
    Glammer Shots19852015.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 63
  • car truck #219852035.jpg
    car truck #219852035.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 54
  • Glammer Shots19852024.jpg
    Glammer Shots19852024.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 53
  • under car19852014.jpg
    under car19852014.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 73
  • last exhaust pics19852019.jpg
    last exhaust pics19852019.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 56
  • last exhaust pics19852015.jpg
    last exhaust pics19852015.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 55
A bump, got most of the work I thought was needed on this car and then some. Put in new exhaust system and now need to get in some seat time,

Nice Benz ! :thmbsp:

I wouldn`t feel too comfortable working underneath that "support system", though ! :D
Something like this should be pretty easy for a guy like you to fab up over a couple of days....

Attachments

• cobra_ramp2.jpg
    cobra_ramp2.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 52
  • cobra_ramp6.jpg
    cobra_ramp6.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 53
  • cobra_ramp3.jpg
    cobra_ramp3.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 49
Yes a very nice Benz! It sure won't be a nice way to die after such a nice purchase! Lot's of people get crushed to death every year doing that kind of thing as it would take much for that car to fall on you as those blocks could be easily toppled by somebody tripping & bumping into the side (or maybe leaning on it) of it etc.

I like that drive on ramp idea as being safer especially if height is needed , but axle stands are quite safe too if used on cement (maybe on asphalt if cold or with a good sized heavy metal plate under each one during the warm summer ) in a level area.

Anyway glad you survived Doc!

Thanks for everyone's concern, it looks a lot worse in the pics than it was. I checked the car at start of day/work and repositioned as needed.
The driveway is sloped and I"ve never trusted jackstands for this reason and have used wooded blocks. It never hurts to reassess one's work methods and I will do so, thanks.

Well, I´ve had my Mercedes for about two and a half years now. And I still enjoy it every time I get in it.

I think I have only driven around 10,000 kilometers since I bought it. I bought a new battery and two new tires; but that´s it.

It´s just fantastic cruising along on the Autobahn at 160 km/h (100 mph). Nice and quiet and comfortable.

Man, I love this car!

edit: 10,000 km, not 6,000.

Last edited:
LOL.

I'm in luv with my 21 year old Lexus. We missed out for so long, prior to stepping up.

I have to use the cruise control just to keep the speed down.

I know what you mean about stepping up. I drove old, shitty cars my whole life. I never liked any of them. They were just transportation.

Now, I drive an old, nice car and I love it :)

I have a MB 300C after owning a Infinity G35 and have put 75k on it

Its the finest car I have ever driven

Second place goes to a $800 1986 103K mile Hyundai Excel that I, myself put 100K more miles on. I drove it till the transmission failed. I found plenty of parts at the junk yard. Getting from A to B was a simple inexpensive matter. The Hyundai followed a 1986 Corvette that was the classic "Hangar Queen"; petulant, beautiful, crazy girlfriend car. I put untold money into that POS, last American car I would ever f'in own. "Mr. Goodshaft" indeed

but the Benz is a sweet ride if expensive to fix

I'm on my fourth Benz. Every model seems to be better than the last although I do have a special fondness for my old W124 300E 24V where the steering was "perfekt". A little underpowered though, so now I'm solely into their bulletproof V8s. Never traded the 300e in, keeping it as a retirement fixer upper.

Looking back at extended members of my family, at least one family has had an E class sized Benz from the old 50's Pontons on.

There are many used Mercedes cars that offer better value than most cars, specially the Mercedes cars from the eighties. Simple to work on after you read and research technical manuals.... It's cheaper to own and operate a simple Mercedes car.

Well, I´ve had my Mercedes for 3 years now, and I still love it!

In the last 3 years I think I bought 2 new tires, a new battery and have been fighting rust.

I just changed the water pump on Friday. It cost a whole €20 from ebay :) I had to build a special wrench to hold the pully so that I could remove the fan. It was so tight that the wrench just bent :(

I did finally get it off and now that annoying noise is gone :)

Hoping to keep this car for a long time :)

Tell me about the salt! The rust warranties can tell you something! I read MB started making them more rust proof in recent years and the bad period started in around 95. Got to drive a winter beater or a truck with a rust resistant frame (most US makes).

Well, I´ve had my Mercedes for 3 years now, and I still love it!

In the last 3 years I think I bought 2 new tires, a new battery and have been fighting rust.

I just changed the water pump on Friday. It cost a whole €20 from ebay :) I had to build a special wrench to hold the pully so that I could remove the fan. It was so tight that the wrench just bent :(

I did finally get it off and now that annoying noise is gone :)

Hoping to keep this car for a long time :)
I bet it's easier to keep 'technical' German engineering working right in Germany than country Australia where no mechanic has seen one of those exact models before.

When buying my current car I liked the look of an older Merc. What decided me against it was on research I found the suspension needed some form of service at the same interval as every engine oil change. I can tell you that just wouldn't have happened around here. No-one would even think of it. Although I'd like to get some thing 'nice' Merc/BMW logistics out here means I just got a local model GM (Holden) that was a few years old so my one local mechanic would have seen a few of them. It's paid off well so far.
(Sorry I don't remember which model- a 1980s one ?)

I bet it's easier to keep 'technical' German engineering working right in Germany than country Australia where no mechanic has seen one of those exact models before.

When buying my current car I liked the look of an older Merc. What decided me against it was on research I found the suspension needed some form of service at the same interval as every engine oil change. I can tell you that just wouldn't have happened around here. No-one would even think of it. Although I'd like to get some thing 'nice' Merc/BMW logistics out here means I just got a local model GM (Holden) that was a few years old so my one local mechanic would have seen a few of them. It's paid off well so far.
(Sorry I don't remember which model- a 1980s one ?)

It was probably a big SEL with air levelling suspension. Can be serious $$$$s to fix if not looked after properly. They're pretty easy to work on, most things are modular and pull off/put on.

I've had no issues with Benzes downunder, have a BMW trained mechanic in the Blue Mountains who looks after them. Mobil 1 oil and they purr like kittens.

I usually buy one 10-12 years old that has depreciated to 10% of original sticker price with less than 100,000km (60,000 miles) and a good service history. Latest is a CLK500 which I took for a drive on Friday and enjoyed every minute of it.

Back
Top Bottom