Any Motorhomers/RV'rs here on AK?

John Daly

Thought I'd see if any Ak members enjoy the Motorhoming lifestyle? When I lived in the states I had a 28ft Champion RV with the 7.4 Chevy motor! Got to see a lot of great places from South Dakota to Florida. Over here in Ireland/Europe the Motorhomes are a tad smaller with even smaller engines but all diesel in the main. We have travelled many countries in Europe and still many more yet to visit,.....Here's a couple of pics of our Campervan, A 1999 Adria which is based on a Fiat Maxi chassis 2.8 turbo diesel.......Happy trails!

bis3.jpg c4.jpg

What do you have for a sound system?

Hi....Pretty basic stuff in the camper right now, I've a Sony usb stereo/radio feeding 2 speakers in the cab and a larger 3 way pair in the habitational area. USB facility is a godsend, 32 gigs of mp3's is a lot of listening!

It has been too many years. I have built a few on military chassis in the past for customers. I am currently looking for a 6x6 Oshkosh for my next and "personal" RV.

Does wannabe RVer count? I've been wanting to get a motorhome for several years now. Too many obstacles at the moment, but one day. I go to the RV shows sometimes and check them out. I am jealous of some of the smaller diesels motorhomes you can get in other parts of the world. Its just my wife and I so something like tjat would be great. The sprinter based ones here are too pricey.

Manufactured RV prices are insane! I see new sprinter based Class B's (largest sprinter chassis) at 90k all day long. There is a big movement of used retrofitting out there. Some very good...unfortunately some very very bad. The most popular chassis besides the sprinter are military stuff like I mentioned earlier. Most of those are the M1078 LTMV 4x4 made by Stewart & Stevenson. You can pick them up dirt cheap (4 to 5k) and they make fantastic RV's. Fantastic for adventure seekers. Total overkill for the normal RV'er camping type person, but unbeatable bargain if you can do most the work yourself.

Just returned from Myrtle Beach in our Newmar Diesel RV.
Stayed at a very nice KOA 2 blocks from the ocean.
Only to come back to second biggest snowstorm/blizzard our area has ever seen.
But that's ok cause we're looking forward to a southwest trip to Arizona later this summer.

Bob

Here's my RV ...

combi-camp-plus-closed.jpg

Here it is set up ...

combi-camp-plus-screen-porc.jpg

Thing's actually got a full size bed in it ... ;-}

Does wannabe RVer count? I've been wanting to get a motorhome for several years now. Too many obstacles at the moment, but one day. I go to the RV shows sometimes and check them out. I am jealous of some of the smaller diesels motorhomes you can get in other parts of the world. Its just my wife and I so something like tjat would be great. The sprinter based ones here are too pricey.
Believe me...They are very pricey here too! Mine is a 1999 model with low mileage, picked it up for 9k euro. Only my wife and I, + 2 dogs. Some of the American RV's are incredibly lavish machines.

Manufactured RV prices are insane! I see new sprinter based Class B's (largest sprinter chassis) at 90k all day long. There is a big movement of used retrofitting out there. Some very good...unfortunately some very very bad. The most popular chassis besides the sprinter are military stuff like I mentioned earlier. Most of those are the M1078 LTMV 4x4 made by Stewart & Stevenson. You can pick them up dirt cheap (4 to 5k) and they make fantastic RV's. Fantastic for adventure seekers. Total overkill for the normal RV'er camping type person, but unbeatable bargain if you can do most the work yourself.

Those miltary camper conversions are sweet, Agreed they are overkill for the normal RV'r but who would like to go off the beaten track in one of these!

Unimog.jpg

Just returned from Myrtle Beach in our Newmar Diesel RV.
Stayed at a very nice KOA 2 blocks from the ocean.
Only to come back to second biggest snowstorm/blizzard our area has ever seen.
But that's ok cause we're looking forward to a southwest trip to Arizona later this summer.

Bob

Thats the beauty of it Bob, You can go at the drop of a hat, anywhere that takes your fancy! Never made it to Arizona when I lived in the US, always regretted not going out west.

Some of you guys will appreciate the beauty of this machine.....Met a Dutch couple last year in Cobh, Co.Cork. They were travelling Ireland in their 1950's converted German Fire Truck! They had taken here all over the world apparently. I asked the guy about spares availability etc said he carried over 600kg of essential spare parts on the roof! Vehicle is a Deutz Magirus....Never seen one before. Deutz make farm machinery, tractors etc.....ps....spot the doggie!

cobhcamper.jpg

Here's the rig getting ready to head out west to visit our daughter and son in law at Twentynine Palms USMC base a couple years ago....
yU4Iin7.jpg

This is Monument Valley where a lot of the John Wayne westerns were filmed.
Clint Eastwood climbed that large spire on the left in the Eiger Sanction movie.
Extremely beautiful country!

E5V7wmW.jpg

Once we get where we're going we can park the rig and drive around to see different sights.
This is the Valley Of The Gods just north of Monument Valley....

7bXYnri.jpg

QCIHbCb.jpg

On our way we took old US RT66 through Arizona and Southern California......
7p7qT9w.jpg

Came upon this classic....
H3H8unZ.jpg

It's a very enjoyable way to travel and see our great country!
We plan on making more trips as time will allow.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom