• Roger Waters

Votes: 49 12.7%
  • I don't like Pink Floyd!

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Who's Pink Floyd?

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Undecided, I like both Equally

Votes: 75 19.5%
  • What's Pink Floyd without Syd Barrett?

Votes: 31 8.1%

• Total voters
I whole-heartedly agree that the best Pink Floyd was when Gilmour and Waters were equal driving forces in the band.

That said, for me it's no contest at all: I prefer both the Gilmour led PF and "solo" Gilmour albums to "Final Cut" and Roger Waters solo albums, exponentially. FC is a very weak album. I almost never play it. I play Momentary Lapse and Division Bell quite frequently. Both are excellent.

I saw Gilmour's tour this year - the guy still has it, big time. It was a fantastic show.

OMG The Final Cut was a masterpiece!

I took no offense at anyone stating their preferences for a member of a band, any individual's vocal prowess or musicianship. I do take offense at people taking swipes at a person's character when it has no bearing on the intent of the thread.
Let's all just get along. Sorry darkblue. This is supposed to be fun. One thing I like about AK is the people, I'm certain you're a good guy and so am I. Peace out.

I'm sorry we got off track. I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan, have been for a long time. I really don't break it down into bits and pieces, I take the whole enchilada, past,present and future(?). I like both Roger's work as well as David's work, on their own merits, regardless of personality defects or whatever, that crap means nothing to me. I'll leave it at that. :bigok:

The most important thing is that you've discovered the Floyd. Do you have a Favorite Album To Date? PS> Is that your dog with what looks like a Cigar in its' mouth? :)

That probably the first time the pup heard, "Come in here dear boy, have a cigar".

Let's all just get along. Sorry darkblue. This is supposed to be fun. One thing I like about AK is the people, I'm certain you're a good guy and so am I. Peace out.

I'm sorry we got off track. I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan, have been for a long time. I really don't break it down into bits and pieces, I take the whole enchilada, past,present and future(?). I like both Roger's work as well as David's work, on their own merits, regardless of personality defects or whatever, that crap means nothing to me. I'll leave it at that. :bigok:

Good kiss and make up you both are nice guy's:p

Oh and I'm a bigger fan, you all will never get close to my PF record collection:rolleyes:

It's all good darkblue94, and I 100 % respect your last statement. I love Waters work in Floyd as well, the Wall is obe of my favorites, and that is 80% Waters. I've always leaned towards Gilmour, probably because I'm a guitarist also. He can really make sweet sounds. Anyway, no hard feelings. I'm sorry also that we got off on the wrong foot. Peace.

Good kiss and make up you both are nice guy's:p

Oh and I'm a bigger fan, you all will never get close to my PF record collection:rolleyes:
If your PF collection is anything like your gear, you got that right my friend :)

I was fortunate enough to see them both this year. DG at the Hollywood Bowl, and RW at Desert Trip. DG was awesome he played PF and solo stuff, his band was fantastic, RW show had a huge scale both visually and sonically and he was excellent, but he seems to be a little full of himself. He stuck to his PF music which is OK with me. Both were well worth the money. I am looking forward to seeing RW again this summer. I hope DG makes another US tour.

My son (he's in high school) was asked by his English teacher "Waters or Gilmour?"

My son answered "Waters," but I don't think he fully understands the enormity and cultural significance of his answer that were are debating here.

I whole-heartedly agree that the best Pink Floyd was when Gilmour and Waters were equal driving forces in the band.

That said, for me it's no contest at all: I prefer both the Gilmour led PF and "solo" Gilmour albums to "Final Cut" and Roger Waters solo albums, exponentially. FC is a very weak album. I almost never play it. I play Momentary Lapse and Division Bell quite frequently. Both are excellent.

I saw Gilmour's tour this year - the guy still has it, big time. It was a fantastic show.

I very much agree with almost all of this, especially the first sentence. For me it's the amalgam of Waters and Gilmour that defined the best of Pink Floyd.
I too prefer the Gilmour solo work over Waters'; however I'm not a great fan of Gilmour's solo albums and I can't listen to Waters'. I think Gilmour's best was his first.
As for the "Final Cut", I didn't dig it at first, but upon subsequent listens many years later I think it is quite a good album. I appreciate the storyline more. I think without Gilmour's reluctant contribution to the album it would likely be, to me, unlistenable. I don't own any Floyd since "Final Cut".

Seriously?
Undecided, I like both Equally is the best I get?
Where is the "Barret, Waters, or Gilmore : Pink Floyd is great music." choice?

Seriously?
Undecided, I like both Equally is the best I get?
Where is the "Barret, Waters, or Gilmore : Pink Floyd is great music." choice?

I'm a huge PF fan, but for the most part, I really don't like the "Syd" era of PF. Too goofy/acid trip for my taste.

I'm a huge PF fan, but for the most part, I really don't like the "Syd" era of PF. Too goofy/acid trip for my taste.

I was beginning to think that I was the only one that thought that way.

I feel exactly the same. I LOVE Pink Floyd but I don't care for the Syd Barrett era stuff at all.

Really? Saucer Full of Secrets is one of my favorites with Piper being in the middle somewhere. Both i think are better than Final Cut and DSotM.

@Skylab - Rush Hemispheres? Good album but I'm not aware of any Floyd connections.

Back
Top Bottom