Lets See All Them Axes

those might be an option if the Zenith cost me more than $2.00 lol Like the copper tape... like making a "Farraday" (Sp) cage... i know i probably spelled that wrong lol... but all in all its a cool little toy and makes people go "Huh, you did what"?

I'll take a video of it tomorrow... I'm also turning a 50's tube radio into one as well but i posted that in the tube section... Until Something popped in my SX1250 That was my new guitar amp... wanna talk about Rocking the house.... The Pioneer SX1250 is the meanest guitar amp I've heard In a LONG time... Especially when playing my Hot Rodded Esp with the 18V pickups...

Huh, I just saw this post...

You were using an SX-1250 as a guitar amp??? Aren't the guitar's impedances and voltages all wrong for that? I remember plugging my guitar into my little Luxman L-30 years ago before I knew better, just to see what it would do, and it sounded like a bass guitar times 1,000,000 and just about blew my speakers apart with the volume cracked like 1/32nd of an inch past "0"! lol It was completely unusable and I didn't want to risk anything going wrong, so I shut it down pretty quick. Just ridiculous amounts of bass and volume output.

Huh, I just saw this post...

You were using an SX-1250 as a guitar amp??? Aren't the guitar's impedances and voltages all wrong for that? I remember plugging my guitar into my little Luxman L-30 years ago before I knew better, just to see what it would do, and it sounded like a bass guitar times 1,000,000 and just about blew my speakers apart with the volume cracked like 1/32nd of an inch past "0"! lol It was completely unusable and I didn't want to risk anything going wrong, so I shut it down pretty quick. Just ridiculous amounts of bass and volume output.

Impedance matched or not it was AMAZING... i felt like the Maxell Commercials lol... here is a video of me playing through the zenith clock radio... its sitting on my marshall stack... the amp on the ground is my bass amp... this little zenith has a cool tone i think... I had the volume on the 1250 at ~9 O'clock position... dial said "46" the tone was SPECTACULAR... keep in mind I have an 18V preamp in the guitar... i would describe the tone as warm and rich.... and this was on a cheap sony bookshelf speaker that if it blew i could careless about... i keep old junk speakers and things around to test oddball experiments with... The nature of my job is figuring out solutions to problems with computing system that people didn't know they had, so ive got spares of all kinds of crap laying around lol and more wires than i can detanglefi.... video of the zenith@bottom

Impedance matched or not it was AMAZING... i felt like the Maxell Commercials lol... here is a video of me playing through the zenith clock radio... its sitting on my marshall stack... the amp on the ground is my bass amp... this little zenith has a cool tone i think... I had the volume on the 1250 at ~9 O'clock position... dial said "46" the tone was SPECTACULAR... keep in mind I have an 18V preamp in the guitar... i would describe the tone as warm and rich.... and this was on a cheap sony bookshelf speaker that if it blew i could careless about... i keep old junk speakers and things around to test oddball experiments with... The nature of my job is figuring out solutions to problems with computing system that people didn't know they had, so ive got spares of all kinds of crap laying around lol and more wires than i can detanglefi.... video of the zenith@bottom

the only mod tho the zenith was Solder an input jack to the volume pot

Neat. Yeah, that little Zenith actually sounds decent for what it is. Certainly better than I would have guessed. Thanks for sharing. :)

this is bitter sweet for me to see this guitar again, been in the basement you can see the mold on the case, i love music and have joined AK in 2008 for vintage audio, recently i scrolled down and saw this section. I bought this guitar new in early 90s and played it in many many bands and styles of music, set in with bands coming to town ,recording, what ever someone needed done. Elvis, God smack, Merle Haggard, anything, I just loved playing ,i would learn it...... i quit playing a few years ago, suffered from addictions, thats why its bitter sweet, this guitar went through it all with me, anyway it was my workhorse, has nicks dings, had at least 5 pickup changes i can remember, low output paf for some of the country stuff, or duncan jb for metal, ended up with a Dimarzio super D. Had many nuts, has a graphite i think now, had locking grovers for a while, but string breaks at the bridge and couldnt get the string out of locker to change quick at a gig, went to reg grovers, then back to the originals, had a roller bridge for a while, couple re-fret jobs entire neck. long 20 years or so with this ole girl, was getting heavy to hold and jump around with, dropped a few times, boy if it could talk , oh well awsome guitars on here guys! 17270569_810695015753768_460055852_n.jpg 17238700_810688922421044_718157339_n.jpg

Attachments

• 17270712_810688892421047_1410110547_n.jpg
    17270712_810688892421047_1410110547_n.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 17270663_810688175754452_505560203_n.jpg
    17270663_810688175754452_505560203_n.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 17270517_810688212421115_587629558_n.jpg
    17270517_810688212421115_587629558_n.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 17238278_810693605753909_1374793856_n.jpg
    17238278_810693605753909_1374793856_n.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 8
this is bitter sweet for me to see this guitar again, been in the basement you can see the mold on the case, i love music and have joined AK in 2008 for vintage audio, recently i scrolled down and saw this section. I bought this guitar new in early 90s and played it in many many bands and styles of music, set in with bands coming to town ,recording, what ever someone needed done. Elvis, God smack, Merle Haggard, anything, I just loved playing ,i would learn it...... i quit playing a few years ago, suffered from addictions, thats why its bitter sweet, this guitar went through it all with me, anyway it was my workhorse, has nicks dings, had at least 5 pickup changes i can remember, low output paf for some of the country stuff, or duncan jb for metal, ended up with a Dimarzio super D. Had many nuts, has a graphite i think now, had locking grovers for a while, but string breaks at the bridge and couldnt get the string out of locker to change quick at a gig, went to reg grovers, then back to the originals, had a roller bridge for a while, couple re-fret jobs entire neck. long 20 years or so with this ole girl, was getting heavy to hold and jump around with, dropped a few times, boy if it could talk , oh well awsome guitars on here guys! View attachment 885990 View attachment 885991

Nice looking Les Paul. What year is it? I ask because I bought the same Cherry Sunburst Standard new in 1979 and it was $975.00 back then and I noticed your price tag at $1595.00. Must have been a few years newer than mine. I loved mine but got rid of it because it was to damn heavy to have on my shoulder for 4-5 hours nightly. (21lbs)

Nice looking Les Paul. What year is it? I ask because I bought the same Cherry Sunburst Standard new in 1979 and it was $975.00 back then and I noticed your price tag at $1595.00. Must have been a few years newer than mine. I loved mine but got rid of it because it was to damn heavy to have on my shoulder for 4-5 hours nightly. (21lbs)
hey 55 ,mine is think a 92 or few years newer , forgot how to tell by serial # yes they are heavy and have their gremlins like anything else, labor of love it was i guess, in my first hired band, the other guy had and still has a beat up 73 ish ? tobacco standard, i played with any guitar i could borrow for a while, ill never forget having saved a $1000 and going to a real music store and showing i had money (not all of it yet haha) and seeing the gibsons hanging overhead and behind the counter, i showed them my money and said start bringing me the les pauls to try, boy i couldnt believe i was buying one of those guitars, u remember back then there was no internet music stores to look at anything, you had to call and ask then go see it, anyway i chose that guitar gave them a thousand to hold the guitar, and so i wouldnt spend the money later haha. went back 2 or 3 weeks later and picked it up, i never thought of a case, they brought it out in that pink lining case opened it up mannn.

Last edited:
I bought my Gibson at a very small store. He had two nice guitars for me to choose from. My Sunburst and a 25th anniversary Strat,both $975. Played the strat first and hated it, Liked the sound but don't like the volume knob position. Every time I strummed it I'd hit the volume and turn it down or off. I like my pickin' hand near the bridge so the strat was a no go. I've played a few over the years and they're just uncomfortable for me. My last electric guitar that I had for over 30 years was an Ibanez Roadstar II (cherry sunburst of course). There's pics of it in this thread somewhere way back. It was light, had a strat shaped body, and dual humbuckers like my Les Paul. Played it right up to the end of my playing days and loved it. Playing days ended in August of 2013 when I had 3 strokes. Guitar is over for me so I gave it to my youngest daughter who plays a bit. Figured it was better to give it to her now rather than let it sit in the case, since after I'm gone she'd get it anyways.

I bought my Gibson at a very small store. He had two nice guitars for me to choose from. My Sunburst and a 25th anniversary Strat,both $975. Played the strat first and hated it, Liked the sound but don't like the volume knob position. Every time I strummed it I'd hit the volume and turn it down or off. I like my pickin' hand near the bridge so the strat was a no go. I've played a few over the years and they're just uncomfortable for me. My last electric guitar that I had for over 30 years was an Ibanez Roadstar II (cherry sunburst of course). There's pics of it in this thread somewhere way back. It was light, had a strat shaped body, and dual humbuckers like my Les Paul. Played it right up to the end of my playing days and loved it. Playing days ended in August of 2013 when I had 3 strokes. Guitar is over for me so I gave it to my youngest daughter who plays a bit. Figured it was better to give it to her now rather than let it sit in the case, since after I'm gone she'd get it anyways.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up for me and Strats too. I tend to play with my hand near the bridge a lot of the time (not all the time of course, but most of the time), and I was always hitting the volume knob and even the selector switch when playing further up. While the ergonomics didn't work for me, it gave me a deeper appreciation of what it takes for Stat guys to be able to play them. As I've mentioned before, I am much more of a Gibson guy tone and ergonomics-wise, but I still do like Fender stuff too. I just can't seem to get the tones I like out of them. They just don't come naturally to me and my playing style the way Gibson stuff does. Ultimately, it's not about "good" vs. "bad", it's just different strokes for different folks. Some guys can rock out with a Les Paul, and others get their groove on with a Strat, and it's all good. :)

On another note, I'm sorry to hear that you had three strokes like that! Thank goodness you are still here to talk with us. Thanks for sharing your story. :)

Last edited:
Yup that volume knob and middle pickup were in the way all the time, i lowered the center pickup and pushed the volume knob over a little piece of sponge against the body that helped it stay put unless i turned it on purpose, haha, went with no knob for a few gigs until i read about the sponge or foam idea.

My pride and joy. A 1969 SG Standard. My folks bought it for me 48 years ago in April 1969. $275 including case. It has never needed any adjustment. The only modification is the toggle switch cover. I was in a band in the late 60s and exchanged switch covers as a sign of solidarity with my guitarist band mate. He had a late 60s Mosrite. We swapped. The Mosrite switch cover is awesome.
Feb 2015 Misc 005.jpg

My pride and joy. A 1969 SG Standard. My folks bought it for me 48 years ago in April 1969. $275 including case. It has never needed any adjustment. The only modification is the toggle switch cover. I was in a band in the late 60s and exchanged switch covers as a sign of solidarity with my guitarist band mate. He had a late 60s Mosrite. We swapped. The Mosrite switch cover is awesome.
View attachment 906176

That's pretty cool. Nice rig, and you're lucky that you had parents to buy you a brand new SG like that! I still have my first electric guitar too: a 1966 Fender Mustang. I got it used when I was 14, but I don't play it anymore. If you like, you can see that guitar and some of the other guitars I have owned in the recent past (not all of them though), as well as my current main squeeze: a 1968 SG Standard with its stripped finish on pages 59 and 67. Cheers. :)

Say what you will, but I am pining for one of the new 2017 Gibson Les Paul Tribute T model guitars. I just love its stripped-down, bare bones look with it's natural maple "binding" on the body, no binding on the neck, trapezoid inlays, gold/silver top hat knobs, and no poker chip around the toggle switch. It's not a glossy upper-echelon Les Paul model, but for me, that's part of the appeal of it. I just love it's stripped-down satin finish and all its appointments. For whatever reason it just ticks all the right boxes for me. :) That, and it's pretty damn cheap (price-wise) as new U.S.A.-made Les Pauls go!

I was also surprised to see that it has a lightweight aluminum bridge and tailpiece installed from the factory. That's a bit of a surprise considering that they could have just used some cheap pot metal pieces to help keep costs down. I also like the fact that it has all nickel parts and will age nicely over time as well. And I have also seen some online sellers list that these are run through a PLEK machine! Is that true? Can anyone confirm that?

I just can't seem to decide whether to go with the Gold Top or the Honey Burst finish. Both look excellent IMHO. What say you?

gibson-2017-les-paul-tribute-t-satin-gold-top-3.jpg

170019253_lg3.jpg

gibson-les-paul-classic-plus-50s-neck-vintage-sunburst-2.jpg
Wow! That's gorgeous. I didn't know Gibson was producing such a "nouveau" model LP. Is it replacing the Studio line? Paul Kossoff would approve I think. Wow.

That's pretty cool. Nice rig, and you're lucky that you had parents to buy you a brand new SG like that! I still have my first electric guitar too: a 1966 Fender Mustang. I got it used when I was 14, but I don't play it anymore. If you like, you can see that guitar and some of the other guitars I have owned in the recent past (not all of them though), as well as my current main squeeze: a 1968 SG Standard with its stripped finish on pages 59 and 67. Cheers. :)
I be checking you out. Holy Mackerel! As we both know the vintage SGs have certain advantages. Thanks for the kind words brother. :cool:

Wow! That's gorgeous. I didn't know Gibson was producing such a "nouveau" model LP. Is it replacing the Studio line? Paul Kossoff would approve I think. Wow.

Yeah, I really like the stripped-down look of the Tribute model. All the appointments are everything it needs, and lacks everything it doesn't in order to look and play like a killer Les Paul. I want one real bad. But no, the Studio line is still a part of the current Les Paul lineup and doing well. In fact, I think it is still Gibson's #1 selling Les Paul model. However, a few years back Gibson came out with the Les Paul "Tribute" line of guitars as an entry level model below the Les Paul Studio and just above the Les Paul Faded series. The Tribute series is essentially a vintage-inspired, stripped-down version of the Les Paul, and has been offered in "50's", "60's", and "70's" iterations with humbuckers, P-90's, and even mini-humbuckers in them in the past, depending on the model, but Gibson has simplified things with just one humbucker-loaded Tribute model this year. However, I have heard that Gibson has really knocked it out of the park for 2017 with this series (some very welcome cosmetic and hardware changes were made over the past Tribute series), and apparently the workmanship is very good on them as well. And the kicker? They are going for $899 US!!! :eek::eek::eek: Talk about a deal, huh??? :D If you read my subsequent posts about it, you'll learn how good some of the specs and hardware are on it, especially considering the price. The reviews seem to be very positive for it as well. I'd love to own one.

I be checking you out. Holy Mackerel! As we both know the vintage SGs have certain advantages. Thanks for the kind words brother. :cool:

Hey, no problem! Rock on, man! :rockon:

Here are a couple pics of my bass collection. I no longer have the violin bass or the acoustic but the rest get rotated in to the playing schedule.

Rick B.

Beautiful! The Mosrites "Knock Me Out." Take me back to the 60s, Lord...

Here's my main squeeze at the moment. It's a stripped finish and Stop tail converted 1968 Gibson SG Standard with Wolfetone Marshallhead P.A.F. style pickups. I have a few other guitars, but unfortunately I was forced to sell off much of my collection due to an unforeseen circumstance. One of them was an AMAZING 1965 SG Standard with early specs (small guard, nickel hardware, wide nut). Selling that guitar still haunts me to this day. That was one of the most toneful and resonant guitars I have ever owned, played, or heard. I also sold a 1966 Gibson Firebird I that was dear to me too. This '68 SG Standard is a good one though (not quite as resonant as the '65 was), but I am thinking of swapping the pickups out for something else. These are old pictures and the guitar still looks the same, but the pickups are even more worn and cruddy now. Not to mention it has a lot more fret wear. It might need a refret in another year or two.

View attachment 727394
View attachment 727393
View attachment 727395
View attachment 727396
View attachment 727397
Your '68 SG looks great in those pics. It's a keeper!!
My 69 SG Standard was worked over by PRS himself some years ago, when he was living "paycheck to paycheck" in Annapolis. My props to him - he sweated over the frets. Many thanks to him as my SG remains sweet.

Back
Top Bottom