Thank You AudioKarma Staff and Members

4-2-7

Smart Ass
Sponsor
I had been elected member of the year in 2015 and we had the thread with good cheers and thank you.

Ernie always mentioned getting a plaque being MOTY and how he cherishes it. Chris our new MOTY for 2016 mentioned it in his thread and a conversation started about a plaque, I mentioned that I never got one.

Ernie made sure I got it, in fact insisted. Anyway heres what the AK member of the year plaque looks like, and I'll follow Ernie's lead in cherishing it for what it represents.

Thank You to all the greater AK family and effort all do to make this place a outstanding site.

IMG_0905.JPG

How.....Cool....Is.....That!

Congrats to you, Dan, and Chris, all all those great MOTY folk.

How is Tim, aka Kamakiri, these days?? (Isn't that who Tim Poliniak is?)

I'm glad you like it, Dan. Mine hangs on the wall, just a few feet from where I sit, when online. Sorry it took so long.
How is Tim, aka Kamakiri, these days?? (Isn't that who Tim Poliniak is?)
Tim hangs out over at Videokarma. He works on old TVs.

Given the length of your tenure here, I'm fairly certain that your username/password will work over there. If not, shoot me a pm, and I'll take care of it for you.

If you want to tell him yourself.

Congratulations, Dan! This looks great and you deserve it so much!

And thank you so much, Ernie, for creating/inventing these beautiful...er... "decorations"? Don't know if this word is right.

Congrats Dan (4-2-7)--a beautiful addition to your "audio collection"--and thank you for all of commentary on the site--I really enjoy your posts and look forward to them.

To our new AK MOTY--Chris (HarmanKardon)--congratulations as well. Your efforts to carry on the birthday recognition tradition is truly appreciated, and I thank you again for picking up the baton and running with it.

And Chris--QUIT APOLOGIZING FOR YOUR ENGLISH!!!--you have mastered it better than most of us "natives"--besides, we stole half your language anyways and managed to muck it up in our own way. As for "decorations"--it is actually more of an award, achievement, or trophy--something to be proud of--an accomplishment--and well-deserved. Again--congratulations, and keep up the good work!!!

I cannot take credit for this. It started with Kamakiri, back in 2003. He started the tradition, way back in AK's first (full) year. Mine was from year three (2005), and the honour is shared with EchoWars, he being the only three-time winner (2003-2004-2005)

The plaques have changed in appearance, over the years. I'll try to get merrylander to post a pic of his. It was much different in appearance. Now, other than colour, we are closer to the original design. Here is mine:

IMG_0017sm.jpg

Chris, to echo the above sentiments, there is very little that is ever wrong with your English. Nothing that a little more confidence wouldn't fix.

"Decorations"? Umm, no, I don't think that conveys the proper significance of the honour. Likewise, 'memento' also seems somewhat trivial.

it commemorates your selection, but I don't think 'commemorative' is really proper, either. Isn't English FUN?

In common or colloquial usage, these items are referred to as 'plaques', analogous to a 'trophy', which are free-standing, and 'in the round', so to speak, whereas a plaque typically is viewed only from the front, either sitting in a stand, like Dan's, or hanging on a wall, like mine is.

If, in your linguistic travels, you discover another, more appropriate word, I would love to learn of it, from you.

In the meantime, we wait for your plaque to arrive.

The suspense is killing me. I hope it lasts.

@4-2-7, did the little easel come with your plaque, or is that something that you already had?
I actually had something else on it, a Yellow Submarine Clock I won in one of Dave's VOA auctions. It was setup in one of my record library room and I needed something to hold it up for the photo.

IMG_3311.JPG

I really don't know where or how I'm going to display it yet, most likely I'll hang it up on the wall or put it up on top the record storage.

I cannot take credit for this. It started with Kamakiri, back in 2003. He started the tradition, way back in AK's first (full) year. Mine was from year three (2005), and the honour is shared with EchoWars, he being the only three-time winner (2003-2004-2005)

The plaques have changed in appearance, over the years. I'll try to get merrylander to post a pic of his. It was much different in appearance. Now, other than colour, we are closer to the original design. Here is mine:

View attachment 911893
Cool, not many of these around if we really think about it, I'm glad I posted mine as it encouraged you to post yours. I was hesitant to do a thread and post a photo because my time had past. But since I never seen one and a thank you was in order, I wanted others to see what they look like.

View attachment 911893

Oh, the Four Horsemen of AKpocalypse...! Thats a nice plaque Dan...

(Refering to post # 15)

Okay, there is somebody whose English is much better than mine... :biggrin: ... don't beat me - Ernie, James... :D

This nice member, let's call him - he wants to remain anonymous - Oneriphy ;), recommended two words to me. The first one is citation, the second one is accolade. Being a harman kardon aficionado, I would like to prefer the first one over the second one, but after looking up both words in several dictionaries, I think that the second one fits better in this context.

:beerchug:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom