Pictures of your computer set ups

I was organizing my closet at home and came across an old friend that I hadn't seen in awhile -- a Realistic SA-10 I've had since the mid '80's. For fun I decided to try it in my computer setup. For this purpose it has plenty of power (it's all of 1.2wpc) and sounds plenty good for background music with a pair of Dayton B652-Air's.

FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Well,mine has changed siginificantly since I last posted in this thread.
Plus the pics for that post went AWOL after the last forum update.
So I guess I need to pass along the current lay-of-the-land as they say,LOL.

First the pics: (wide shot)

index.php

Closer pic:

index.php

Now the 'puter itself:

index.php

Note that the Canton GL-260 speakers were painted OD green to match the Corsair C70 computer case:

index.php
index.php

Rig rundown:
Source is my desktop PC via the SB Zx optical out going thru a Monoprice powered optical splitter into a Parasound D/AC-1000.
From there the signal goes to a NAD 106 preamp that has a DOD 830 Ser. II EQ in the tape loop (not used much @ the moment).
From the NAD 106 preamp the signal is sent via XLR outputs to a ElectroVoice 7100 power amp (1ru dual mono design).
Speakers are Canton GL-260 that are supported by a Canton AS85-SC subwoofer that bolsters the sub bass response very nicely.
Headphones are AKG K240DF (high-impedance) & Sony MDR-7506 (low impedance),headphone hangers are Brainwavz hengja.
XLR & RCA cables are all Mogami,the optical cables are from Emotiva.
Power is supplied by a Middle Atlantic PD-915-R power center.

Desktop PC basic rundown:
Case - Corsair C70 Series OD Green.
Case fans are Noctura NF-P12-1300 (3x).
Power Supply - Corsair TX850 v2 R 850w.
Motherboard - Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AM3+.
Processor - AMD FX-8120 "Zambezi" 3.1 ghz Socket AM3+ 8 Core.
CPU Fan - Cooler Master Hyper 212EVO.
Memory - Corsair Vengence LP 32gb (4x 8gb) 1600mhz DDR3 Dual Channel.
Video Card - Gigabyte GV-N66TOC-2GD GeForce GTX 660Ti 2gb gddr5.
Sound Card- Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx w/ACM.
HDD - WD VelociRaptor 500gb 10k RPM SATA (6.0 ghz) 64mb Cache.
Optical Drive - Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-219L (bk) 2mb Buffer SATA.
Monitor - HP 2311x 23" Screen LED Backlit 5ms D-Sub/DVI-D/HDMI Inputs.

That desktop PC also feed my main BR 2.1 system as well,but I guess that's best left for another thread.

FWIW

Bret P.

Last edited:
Wow! I see that my thread has come roaring back to life! Excellent!! I made a few changes as well recently, adding a set of JBL 4312A speakers and a Sonic Frontiers SFS-80 Tube amp. My next change will be going full vacuum tube on the preamp as well. Coming soon. Some recent pics though, with solid state preamp:

20170307_133829_zpsl70zfsqv.jpg

20170308_200005_zpsjy8bxu2u.jpg

Well,mine has changed siginificantly since I last posted in this thread.
Plus the pics for that post went AWOL after the last forum update.
So I guess I need to pass along the current lay-of-the-land as they say,LOL.

First the pics: (wide shot)

index.php

Closer pic:

index.php

Now the 'puter itself:

index.php

Note that the Canton GL-260 speakers were painted OD green to match the Corsair C70 computer case:

index.php
index.php

Rig rundown:
Source is my desktop PC via the SB Zx optical out going thru a Monoprice powered optical splitter into a Parasound D/AC-1000.
From there the signal goes to a NAD 106 preamp that has a DOD 830 Ser. II EQ in the tape loop (not used much @ the moment).
From the NAD 106 preamp the signal is sent via XLR outputs to a ElectroVoice 7100 power amp (1ru dual mono design).
Speakers are Canton GL-260 that are supported by a Canton AS85-SC subwoofer that bolsters the sub bass response very nicely.
Headphones are AKG K240DF (high-impedance) & Sony MDR-7506 (low impedance),headphone hangers are Brainwavz hengja.
XLR & RCA cables are all Mogami,the optical cables are from Emotiva.
Power is supplied by a Middle Atlantic PD-915-R power center.

Desktop PC basic rundown:
Case - Corsair C70 Series OD Green.
Case fans are Noctura NF-P12-1300 (3x).
Power Supply - Corsair TX850 v2 R 850w.
Motherboard - Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AM3+.
Processor - AMD FX-8120 "Zambezi" 3.1 ghz Socket AM3+ 8 Core.
CPU Fan - Cooler Master Hyper 212EVO.
Memory - Corsair Vengence LP 32gb (4x 8gb) 1600mhz DDR3 Dual Channel.
Video Card - Gigabyte GV-N66TOC-2GD GeForce GTX 660Ti 2gb gddr5.
Sound Card- Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx w/ACM.
HDD - WD VelociRaptor 500gb 10k RPM SATA (6.0 ghz) 64mb Cache.
Optical Drive - Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-219L (bk) 2mb Buffer SATA.
Monitor - HP 2311x 23" Screen LED Backlit 5ms D-Sub/DVI-D/HDMI Inputs.

That desktop PC also feed my main BR 2.1 system as well,but I guess that's best left for another thread.

FWIW

Bret P.
Nice setup. Off topic, but we're you Army?

Nice setup. Off topic, but we're you Army?
Nope,I just grew up playing with those little plastic army men & G.I.Joe's (uh-oh,now I'm showing my age,LOL).
JK,,,I've always been a sucker for military related/looking stuff and such...

Ammo boxes.BDU's,field jackets,patches,K-BAR's/Bayonets,canteens,assorted bags,footlockers,you name it really.
Even some fairly obscure items like old field manuals and whatnot.

Used to live in ATX and knew a lotta folks from the Ft. Hood area as well,and there used to be a ton of surplus stores there back in the day.
So there was a lot of that sorta stuff for the taking around those parts.

I guess I must've picked up some of the jargon via osmosis form the people I know that served or had family that served.
So yeah I should make it clear that I have tons of respect for those who have served,as it takes a serious level of commitment to do so.

FWIW

Bret P.

IMG_1678.JPG

Maybe off subject but this is what I use when Im ONLY listening to headphones. It a Behringer XR18 digital mixer which I use the USB for sending signal. The purpose, of course, is to use it for my band mixing.

This I don't really get...
Pictures of your computer set ups

Well in this day and age it should be, "what computer is in your system". I look at it as a source for a system, not the computer is the primary and will add some speakers to it.

I think you do miss the point of the thread. No offense - and I do love your systems. But this isn't "what computer is in your system?" It's "what do you listen to while you're sitting at your computer typing on ak or writing an email or doing your taxes?" I use a Mac-mini in my main rig... so I get what you're saying. To be fair, any of us could plop laptops down in front of our main rigs.

It could be worded different in the title. But I don't think it's unclear.

I've posted it before... but here's my "computer setup."

- Woody

29303124503_559cd1c699_o.jpg

Hi 4-2-7. Unsure if your handle refers to engine displacement or not, but I do have a question. Are those ADS speakers in front of the JBL 250s? In reference to your comment about "which computer is in your system", when I first started this thread, the computer was somewhat less popular as a component than it is now. I have three systems in my home currently set up and running and all three incorporate computers. Yet, I really consider only one "my computer system", as I sit in a computer type chair at a large desk and it has a computer system "vibe". Yet, the computer is my most frequently used source of music (lossless files) these days. Incidentally, very nice set up you have there...very nice indeed.

It's "what do you listen to while you're sitting at your computer typing on ak or writing an email or doing your taxes?"

Well I have three 27" iMacs at home with two plugged in under constant use. So that one you see and one in my bedroom. And again the bedroom is a system, Acurus DIA100, Otari R2R MX5050,KEF 104aB, 8" sub,TV, Audioengine D2 24bit WiFi DAC, Samsung 46" TV, Blueray DVD and 27" iMac. It's all setup on two long dressers in a row. I'm on the computer most of the time when I'm at home one way or another. My bedroom system doesn't get posted in photos online because it's my bedroom and gets dirty and cluttered..:D But generally I'll be laying around watching TV and on the computer, or using the computer and listening to music, just did my taxes there as well.

My desk in another bedroom has never had a computer at it, it tends to be a catch all for paper clutter. I generally never sit at the desk, or use a computer at one. I'v been thinking of getting rid of it because it's full size and takes up room. I just really need the matching file cabinet for storage of bills and things we save like that.

Hi 4-2-7. Unsure if your handle refers to engine displacement or not, but I do have a question. Are those ADS speakers in front of the JBL 250s?
Ford 427 FE, ADS L-1230

Yet, I really consider only one "my computer system", as I sit in a computer type chair at a large desk and it has a computer system "vibe".
I guess what I'm not getting because I don't do it and my line of work doesn't involve it, is sitting at a desk.

My computers all have wireless keyboards and mouse, they all have 24bit WiFi DAC. They are all on my network and interconnected so if they are all on I can access any of them from any computer/room. Then the fact they are 27" and can be see from a distance and if that's not big enough I can use the TVs as a monitor and they are smart TVs also. So I can walk around and sit anywhere in that room, If I want to go outside take a iPad or phone.

Yes things have changed a lot since you started the thread, everything is interactive, mobil and connected, stored on HDs or in the cloud. I guess what I don't get anymore is the need for a desk or sitting at one. But I did post my computer system or system with a computer depending on how one looks at it. In fact that might be an interesting thread, how computer technology has changed you household and life in your hobbies and home. I used to have a land line phone mounted in the kitchen with a phone book and a scratch pad, but not anymore.

Last edited:
Wow! I see that my thread has come roaring back to life! Excellent!! I made a few changes as well recently, adding a set of JBL 4312A speakers and a Sonic Frontiers SFS-80 Tube amp. My next change will be going full vacuum tube on the preamp as well. Coming soon. Some recent pics though, with solid state preamp:

20170307_133829_zpsl70zfsqv.jpg

20170308_200005_zpsjy8bxu2u.jpg

I like how the cymbals are framed in the window behind the monitor.

Hi 4-2-7: Love that engine!!!

Yes, wireless keyboards and mice and wireless combos as well as shared hard drives here also. One set up has the keyboard near my drum set so I can navigate music, videos, etc., from behind the kit. Living room has a 65" 4K curved Samsung, but it's still easier for me to see up close with a nearer computer monitor. I can't go much larger on the size or I won't be able to squeeze between the TV and a set of JBLs. I like a desk sometimes to do light work, plus I display goodies such as my lava lamp (gifted by a Forum member) and other trinkets.

Thanks 4-2-7. I have 24 cymbals currently plus 2 sets of hats. My sets used to be much crazier in fact! Sort of like having a 427. One doesn't always need the torque, but when you want it, it's there! I find them more expressive actually than many toms of similar size. Here's some shots of my new set with a couple of more cymbals and then followed by previous set ups:

20170405_135046_zpszsub2pjf.jpg

101_0001_zpsg9grhag6.jpg

100_0062_zps7f4hx9rg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom