Votes: 43 9.2%
  • AS/BS/Tech School/Skilled Trades

Votes: 252 53.8%
  • MS/PhD

Votes: 103 22.0%
  • Other Advanced Degree

Votes: 50 10.7%

• Total voters
A friend of mine told me years ago that he was 15 years old, in the 5th grade. He said he was small for his age, so he fit in. I didn't take him serious, at first.

Without letting this get political and just keeping with facts, contrary to many peoples' opinions, support for any specific war tends to go up based on educational attainment, with the lowest support coming from high school dropouts, and the highest support coming from those with advanced degrees. This held true for both Vietnam and Iraq, look it up.

I've always been intrigued by electricity and high lines. What do you work with in (primary?) distribution, like up to 35kV or so?
I have worked primary voltage that is 19900 volts phase to ground 34500 volts phase to phase on out of state storms. 19900/34500 is the higest voltage that you can work with dielectric rubber gloves on. For this voltage you have to wear class 4 rubber gloves rated at 37500 volts for multiple phases and class 3 gloves rated at 27500 on single phase 19900. The primary voltage in my area is 7620 phase to ground 13800 phase to phase.

Thanks for all of the replies!!! Like I said, this was not to be an "elitist" pissing match--just a simple question. It doesn't take an advanced degree to be "brilliant", and having one certainly does not make you inherently "brilliant". I have a BS in toxicology, an MS in pharmacology and PhD in Environmental Science and Policy--spent 12 years of my life on 80% international travel--so basically not home for 10 months out of the year. It wears on you. I loved the science, but chased the money--so instead of being in a lab, I ended up in board rooms filled with lawyers, corporate execs, lobbyists and government regulators--the "no fun zone". Quit with a vengeance and went back to working construction, eventually founded my own company, and have been doing that for 20+ years now. It is what it is, but I am happy. Has the education helped?--certainly, but I am not using it for what it was intended. The biggest thing I took away from college was "learning how to learn".

I have a BME (Bachelor's in Music Education) from Central Michigan University and as an educator I'll get my masters eventually. But that just a "formal" education. I don't consider myself the smartest and most talented in that aspect of my life. I moonlight as a bike mechanic and honestly, if I could make a decent living doing that I'd be doing that for the rest of my life. I also have a knack for photography and if the market wasn't already oversaturated with a cheap camera and a FB page I would do that. Life ebbs and flows though and I make the best of it either way.

I don't want to sound like I dislike my job as an educator. It's wonderful. I educate young minds and try to inspire a life long passion for music.

Neat thread, both funny and serious replies.
I wonder how many here are 'expert' musicians (defined, say, as 5 or more years of serious daily practice)?
I searched, but didn't find any threads on that?
I am not - never got past 3 yrs of (fairly serious) practice on any of the 3 instruments I played.
You'd think it'd be common amongst audiophiles....and represent skills and determination I respect very highly.

Neat thread, both funny and serious replies.
I wonder how many here are 'expert' musicians (defined, say, as 5 or more years of serious daily practice)?
I searched, but didn't find any threads on that?
I am not - never got past 3 yrs of (fairly serious) practice on any of the 3 instruments I played.
You'd think it'd be common amongst audiophiles....and represent skills and determination I respect very highly.

Interesting post! Although I have dabbled at playing a few instruments over the years, I have never had the discipline or talent to really master any of them. I truly believe that making music is a "gift", and I just don't have it--but I appreciate the work by those that do.

I know we've talked before, but every time it comes up, I gotta shout loud to a brother! IBEW L68!
Back at you from LU 1547! I've been retired for some time now, but my step son followed my footsteps a while back after going through all the college savings in one year. He now is a union journeyman wireman (electrician) who is making good money, engaged in the work which is never boring to him. I think he is well ahead of the game for someone his age (26).

Back at you from LU 1547! I've been retired for some time now, but my step son followed my footsteps a while back after going through all the college savings in one year. He now is a union journeyman wireman (electrician) who is making good money, engaged in the work which is never boring to him. I think he is well ahead of the game for someone his age (26).
Right on! Glad to see the IBEW alive and well in some states!
I wholeheartedly support any and all paid apprenticeships!

I have worked primary voltage that is 19900 volts phase to ground 34500 volts phase to phase on out of state storms. 19900/34500 is the higest voltage that you can work with dielectric rubber gloves on. For this voltage you have to wear class 4 rubber gloves rated at 37500 volts for multiple phases and class 3 gloves rated at 27500 on single phase 19900. The primary voltage in my area is 7620 phase to ground 13800 phase to phase.

I have to salute you sir! The highest "medium" voltage I've worked, is racking in and out big ole 1960s 13-8 breakers. When you hear the lightning as the stabs get closer to the buss, it scares my eyebrows to the back of my head. I've known a few linemen, and I know that it is skilled trade indeed... thanks for keeping my power on!

Back
Top Bottom