I have 2 DAC, need help choosing 1

cortico

hi all, i am currently divide between two dac I quite like a lot;

Parasound d/ac 1000

ADCOM GDA 700 HDCD

I use them between a Parasound c/dc disc changer and a Marantz 2270. They both do an excellent job revealing the warmth and detail hidden by the player internal converter.

To my hears the Parasound sounds mellower and coherent, the voices are a bit set back in the mix in a nice way and I love the way it looks inside. It's quite impressive, three transformers, blackgates and nichicon caps. It's basically built like a tank and it matches the CD player.

The ACOM is more updated, sounds a tad wider and the bass has more punch. The mods are a bit more forward and pronounced, give bit more presence to the voices. When I switch back and forth looks like the singer comes closer. It's very well bit but with a less interesting interior when compared to the Parasound.

Which one you think is a keeper?
IMG_2843.JPG IMG_2858.JPG

Last edited:
Technically I'd go for the parasound. A dutch guy also modified the crap out of a parasound because of the several BB PCM63.
I can't tell from this picture which dac the ACOM uses but then, its only part of the topology and what matters is the eventual sound.

If you have to let go of one of them, I would try and see if you're able to listen to them in a different environment (preferably in a setting in which you think that might possibly something in which your audio chain would develop). Even if you compare more true sound against a tad over dynamic sound, it is still a choice of preference.

Parasound can be modded fairly easy because of the socketed chips (replace the -J selection DAC's with the -K versions, replace the digital filter with a drop-in DF1704).
Acom has the UltraAnalog DAC and the HDCD filter. Very desirable by some, but personally I would sell it.

Thank you all for your feedback. Would you recommend a good seller for the K version BB DACs?

Sonic67, what do you dislike on the UltraAnalog?

I don't dislike it, to me is not better than a PCM63-K, it's just overpriced for what it is. Since others are definitely enjoy it's sound and so I would sell it to them :)

NOT Alibaba or China :) I have pictures of how it should look the original ones and how a fake looks like.
Got mines on eBay from a reputable (in my opinion) US source. Some China sources show original pictures, but, like in my case, they might ship fake ones instead.

See an example of a fake one - polished the face, laser engraved (with the -K), yellow coating on top:
s-l1600.jpg

Another fake one. This time instead of laser engraving they used stencil painting. Note that the capsule has a dimple at pin #1 and missing the two big round depressions on the face of the chip, this probably is not even a real DAC.
s-l500.jpg

This looks original -K selection. Note that the -J and -K are applied after the selection process on the packaged and already labeled chips.
440b_12.JPG

Last edited:
I see, it super sketchy everything looks counterfeit on eBay...
I found this one seems legit... seller is in China...
IMG_3003.PNG

It seems legit. Hopefully that's what you get, in my case they had a "stock" legit picture and send a laser-inscribed pair. They refunded the money when I called them on that "item received not as described".
Extracting those big chips, without bending their pins, requires some skill or a specialized tool.

Last edited:
I'm absolutely a fan of the Parasound D/AC series,as I have two D/AC-1000 myself.

Even put one in my Adcom rack enclosure system (I know,,,GASP,,,basphemy,,,LOL)
Did so as I found a really good deal on that second D/AC-1000 (plus it's a SUPER clean unit).
Also I prefer the Parasound D/AC's rack-mounting implementation vs. the Adcom's (add-on RM3 brackets,whose holes are'nt drilled to work 100% on most modern racks).

If it were a GDA-600 vs. the D/AC-1000 I'd say it's a true draw,flip a coin and be done w/any drama.

As for the other Adcom DAC,it's like Sonic67 says the GDA-700 is prized by some simply for that UA DAC/filter.
But as he alludes to the opinions vary a bit more-so on those GDA-700's for that same reason.
Some just want the GDA-700 as it's the newer/updated DAC & by some accounts it represents Adcom's TOTL DAC.

Me,I'd cash out on the GDA-700 mystique factor and use the funds to upgrade the Parasound.

JMO ~ FWIW

Bret P.

thank you guys, how about this one. It is really hard to tell, the bottom one seems legit but the top looks like a fake. the text seems laser printed.

2.jpg

Maybe it was just the pic "sharpened". I would say they are OK, but yes, a different angle and cropped tighter would help. The laser engraved are almost always yellowish.

Cool, I ordered the upgrade from audiotuning. What's the improvement of a k grade in comparison with j grade dac?

It depends how revealing the rest of the system it is, and how trained are you (your brain) in discovering the changes, they are subtle.
I have noticed a difference with my headphones (AKG K701) . Also I have the I/V OpAmp upgraded in my DAC.

Just instaled the spdif receiver and digital filter with the parts from the German guys, looks very neat, what sound quality improvements am I supposed to hear?
IMG_3400.JPGIMG_3406.JPGIMG_3405.JPG

Last edited:
Just instaled the spdif receiver and digital filter with the parts from the German guys, looks very neat, what sound quality improvements am I supposed to hear?

It's been some time.. Have you noticed any improvements after the upgrade? I have one of these DACs since not long time ago and wondering if the upgrade kit is worth the investment. I have no pressing need to be able to play 24/96 at the moment and I think it sounds great as is, but the itch is there...

Hi.
This is very subjective, but it sounded a bit brighter to me, it lost a bit of the softness. Then, I Installed original old chips back... issue fixed and the sound I enjoy was back.
I would say, that is not worthed unless you want to read High res material.

Back
Top Bottom