Internet Radio Stations

Must have missed this discussion. :)

At this minute, I have Pandora playing one of my tweaked stations: it is a mix of salsa and mambo, so it is playing anything from Eddie Palmieri to Tito Puente and Perez Prado. A nice mix! I like it best for musical discovery. I have a fusion jazz station I've tweaked for several years that has helped me discover a lot of new (to me) music, including a group like Return To Forever which I'd heard of but never really had gotten into.

The TuneIn app on my phone and tablet is cool, as it not only gets local and distant radio stations, I found a cool Internet station out of NYC called Salsa Warriors, complete with live DJs. Great listening!

I sent Soma some money the other day.

I assume nothing new to report on the royalties front.

s.
All is still choppy on the front. Many shut down and many still weighing options (geoblocking, non-profit, downsizing) Many scurried off to Belgium based Radionomy for the free bandwidth and promise of "all royalties being paid". Silly bastards. Alas, just when their naive refugee heels were cooling, Radionomy got "busted" (lawsuit) for outright non-payment of royalties to SX.
:whip:
...it's a toilet.

Last edited:
Should be interesting to see what happens to Pandora. That is a huge boost to their current rates.

I just noticed last week that Pandora has brought back the

Annual Plan - Best value, includes one month free!
($54.89 per year + $4.53 sales tax)

I have had a subscription to pandora for ..jeeeze...almost 10 years now ...use it almost constantly ...

I have tried other internet stations ...but ... i keep comming back

Radio Paradise
Soma FM (love Left Coast 70s)
Pandora
Slacker Radio
A ton of different stations on Tune in (love San Francisco 70s Hits)
IHeart albeit rarely
And Amazon only because I'm a Prime Member

I ALSO highly recommend SOMA FM from San Francisco. Their audio sound is very good, and they do play stuff with very deep bass. I listen to "Secret Agent" , "7" Soul", and Groove Salad. They have about 30+ streams.

When I am working on my computer I will listen to Internet radio on iTunes, one of my favorites is "3WK.COM Classic Undergroundradio: Genre-shattering 60's/70's underground radio featuring an enormous catalogue and deep tracks from known and unknown artists." Like the fact that they play things I never heard before or something lost in my deepest memories.

Of many, this one has been in my wheelhouse for several years.
" Americana Roots music for Cowhands, Cowpokes and Cowtippers."

Boot Liquor - SomaFM

Desktop or Mobile app. Also via iTunes Internet radio directory or TuneIn.com

A snip sampling.......

15:50:03 (Now) Jenny Kerr Tijuana Waltz Extra Strength
15:47:03 Carolyn Mark & NQ Arbuckle Too Sober To Sleep Let's Just Stay Here
15:44:18 Gourds Blankets Cow Fish Fowl or Pig
15:40:52 Edith Frost Sing Me Back Home The Executioner's Last Songs, Volume 1
15:38:15 Scott Miller On A Roll Citation (With The Commonweal
15:35:53 Slobberbone Engine Joe Barrel Chested
15:33:00 Guy Clark If I Needed You Somedays The Song Writes You
15:29:48 Adam Carroll Tears In My Gumbo Let It Choose You
15:25:25 Oldtime Stringband That's The Way It Goes Gotta quit kickin' my dog around

:beatnik:

Me too
Of many, this one has been in my wheelhouse for several years.
" Americana Roots music for Cowhands, Cowpokes and Cowtippers."

Boot Liquor - SomaFM

Desktop or Mobile app. Also via iTunes Internet radio directory or TuneIn.com

A snip sampling.......

15:50:03 (Now) Jenny Kerr Tijuana Waltz Extra Strength
15:47:03 Carolyn Mark & NQ Arbuckle Too Sober To Sleep Let's Just Stay Here
15:44:18 Gourds Blankets Cow Fish Fowl or Pig
15:40:52 Edith Frost Sing Me Back Home The Executioner's Last Songs, Volume 1
15:38:15 Scott Miller On A Roll Citation (With The Commonweal
15:35:53 Slobberbone Engine Joe Barrel Chested
15:33:00 Guy Clark If I Needed You Somedays The Song Writes You
15:29:48 Adam Carroll Tears In My Gumbo Let It Choose You
15:25:25 Oldtime Stringband That's The Way It Goes Gotta quit kickin' my dog around

:beatnik:
Me too, +48V. They say "the more you drink the better they sound!" Who can argue with that?

I recently started using Accuradio.

128kps AAC. I like their selections a lot.

http://www.accuradio.com/

Android an IOS apps available.

15hor6b.jpg

Eric

Last edited:
As I lamented in another thread, it seems every other station here is "pop-country" nonsense with Florida Georgia Line and Luke (Puke?) Bryan. Even the two or three "oldies" stations somehow seem to get plenty of Tim McGraw and Kenny Chesney played. We have an "easy" station that actually plays more old country than the country stations.

Pandora is pretty good, but there are really no rarities. When I try to play traditional newer stuff, it manages to throw in Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, etc. I customized a radio station with tons of different artists, but in a short time, I heard Johnny Cash 3 times (love Johnny, but how about some variety?) and it just seems to play stuff I already know with little exception.

Clue a fella in on some good stations that will play country anywhere from the 20's through the 90's. Good Southern Gospel like The Happy Goodmans and The Hinsons would be good also.

WFMU is a great station, but they have a terrific alternate internet stream called Give The Drummer Radio, which is a 24/7 mix of live and recorded eclectic programming that I'm pretty sure you can't hear anywhere else. A favorite show is Destination Out on Sunday mornings from 9-12 AM eastern, and like all their shows available for rebroadcast shortly after. DJ Jeff Golick does a terrific job of playing incredible stuff, new and old, with the focus being on avant garde jazz, electronic, ambient, but also choice rock and folk, and other, just plain old out there music. A great way to catch up on lots of new stuff, and get turned on to stuff you've never heard. http://wfmu.org/playlists/DO

Give The Drummer Radio http://wfmu.org/table?period=7115

Another 'FMU show on their main channel that I listen to regularly is the Avant Ghetto, on Sunday nights/Monday mornings from 12-3 am est. This one is more heavy on obscure psych and stoner rock, choice Dead, and even some more avant jazz. Well worth catching. Also available for streaming at a later date for you convenience. https://wfmu.org/playlists/AH

Lastly, I tune into Little Water Radio, based in NYC, every Thursday from 3-5 PM EST for James "The Hound" Marshall's show. A legendary NYC rock'n'roll impresario who had a classic show on WFMU in the 80's/90's, he shares his incredible obscure hillbilly, rockabilly, and r'n'b 45's every weeks, James is one of the foremost collectors in the world, and here he plays stuff that you will not hear anywhere else, intertwined with funny radio commercials and comedy bits from the old darys. Internet stream means he can say and do as he pleases, and he likes to go off on political rants using raw language so be forewarned if that offends you, or you have young'uns in the room. http://www.littlewaterradio.org/the-hound

Last edited:
As I lamented in another thread, it seems every other station here is "pop-country" nonsense with Florida Georgia Line and Luke (Puke?) Bryan. Even the two or three "oldies" stations somehow seem to get plenty of Tim McGraw and Kenny Chesney played. We have an "easy" station that actually plays more old country than the country stations.

Pandora is pretty good, but there are really no rarities. When I try to play traditional newer stuff, it manages to throw in Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, etc. I customized a radio station with tons of different artists, but in a short time, I heard Johnny Cash 3 times (love Johnny, but how about some variety?) and it just seems to play stuff I already know with little exception.

Clue a fella in on some good stations that will play country anywhere from the 20's through the 90's. Good Southern Gospel like The Happy Goodmans and The Hinsons would be good also.

http://www.accuradio.com/country/

Eric

Back
Top Bottom