The Idiot's Guide to Using DeOxit (revisited)

Hello, I am a beginner to this and I cleaned my Sansui A-555 with Deoxit D5 to clean my pots with today. After this i noticed that the volume and balance-knobs were not as nice to rotate anymore as they were before. It feels cheap and not as high quality anymore and this is something I wanted to fix.

I ordered Deoxit FaderGrease and DeoxitF100L. How do I use these? Is the grease only to be used on the shack and the F100L I can put into the pot like I did with the D5?

Hello, I am a beginner to this and I cleaned my Sansui A-555 with Deoxit D5 to clean my pots with today. After this i noticed that the volume and balance-knobs were not as nice to rotate anymore as they were before. It feels cheap and not as high quality anymore and this is something I wanted to fix.

I ordered Deoxit FaderGrease and DeoxitF100L. How do I use these? Is the grease only to be used on the shack and the F100L I can put into the pot like I did with the D5?

We need a little bit more info from you. What type of pot? it is rotary?
Is it metal or conductive plastic?

It's common after cleaning for a pot to feel raw. Often it means it isn't quite clean yet, and you should flush it again if you're not sure you cleaned it completely.
Using a lubricant, after cleaning will help restore the smoothness you're missing. I use crc 2-26, the deoxit stuff is great too (but virtually impossible to find in stores - that's a hint CAIG Labs - get on some shelves!) The cleaners get rid of dirt and lubrication, you want to replace the lubrication after cleaning. It's not 100% required, but without that step you'll likely be back in cleaning the pot again in the near future.

Like you I am new to Deoxit but not to Craig products. I looked at the link provided. It confuses when compared to what is being commonly sold today as DeoxirD5

What Deoxit D5 has a lot of in it is mineral spirits. I use Mineral spirits a lot to clean things as it does dissolve grease and it evaporates. When it evaporates it leaves no residue behind. It does evaporate slow. As this is a odorless it will most likely be even slower. I am not surprised your controls feel different.
Instructions say to use small spray, operate switch, (helps cover all the surface) spray again (to flush?). I would not power it up. I would move the control periodically for a time giving it a good long chance to evaporate. Spray a spot on a dish to see how long it takes to completely evaporate.

Some instructions.
https://system.netsuite.com/core/me...e=149350&promocode=&promocodeaction=overwrite

Last edited:
It's common after cleaning for a pot to feel raw. Often it means it isn't quite clean yet, and you should flush it again if you're not sure you cleaned it completely.
Using a lubricant, after cleaning will help restore the smoothness you're missing. I use crc 2-26, the deoxit stuff is great too (but virtually impossible to find in stores - that's a hint CAIG Labs - get on some shelves!) The cleaners get rid of dirt and lubrication, you want to replace the lubrication after cleaning. It's not 100% required, but without that step you'll likely be back in cleaning the pot again in the near future.

Craig had some products for cleaning and lubricating electronics. I found a old can of Cramoline D2 with a little left in the can. The companion cleaner spray was a much larger can that had some form of trietholin to evaporate after cleaning. The D2 was used to lube afterwards.. I think. So lod it has paper wrapped around the can.
I got the Deoxit on Amazon.

I was wondering about some kind of lube, to get the smooth feel back to the pots after using deoxit etc

the thick, smooth feel of the pot turning is gone now, and it spins way too easily

Hey guys,
Picked up an sx-1050, offset looks good, so now I guess next step is to clean the dust, face and contacts. Looks like CRC 2-26 and the QD electrical cleaner is an alternative. Question is on the push buttons, can I use the CRC products on them or should I get the Deoxit stuff for them?

Hey guys,
Picked up an sx-1050, offset looks good, so now I guess next step is to clean the dust, face and contacts. Looks like CRC 2-26 and the QD electrical cleaner is an alternative. Question is on the push buttons, can I use the CRC products on them or should I get the Deoxit stuff for them?

The CRC will work great. Use it & $AVE $$ !!

I'm new to all things Deoxit. Can it be effective spraying it right into a receiver's AUX jack for a crackly channel hooked up to AUX?

Hi guys - preparing to do a thorough deoxit cleaning on my Pioneer sx-727 -
I have ordered D5S and Faderlube F5S
how should I approach the rotary input selector switches used by the speaker selectors and the source selectors? Should I just blast them?
After working the D5S through the pots and switches, how soon before applying the faderlube? Immediately? Or let the deoxit drip out/evaporate?
Thanks!

YegEfW8.jpg

UMa7BkL.jpg

Hi guys - preparing to do a thorough deoxit cleaning on my Pioneer sx-727 -
I have ordered D5S and Faderlube F5S
how should I approach the rotary input selector switches used by the speaker selectors and the source selectors? Should I just blast them?
After working the D5S through the pots and switches, how soon before applying the faderlube? Immediately? Or let the deoxit drip out/evaporate?
Thanks!

YegEfW8.jpg

UMa7BkL.jpg
I wait until the Deoxit dries before Faderlube.

Hey guys,
Picked up an sx-1050, offset looks good, so now I guess next step is to clean the dust, face and contacts. Looks like CRC 2-26 and the QD electrical cleaner is an alternative. Question is on the push buttons, can I use the CRC products on them or should I get the Deoxit stuff

Thanks a million! I have a vintage Nikko I've been meaning to clean and this tutorial is going to come in very handy. The Nikko sounds great, when it works. Problem is that one speaker goes out occasionally, and can be "rescued" by turning the volume up quickly a few clicks (then back down)...seems like a cleaning should fix it right up! Anyway, just wanted to say thanks.

JonWalter, the symptom you describe, of intermittent dropout at low volume, and recovery on turning it up, is a classic indicator of a dirty speaker protection relay. By all means, clean all the switches and controls with Deoxit or something similar, but you'll probably need to get the cover off the protection relay, and burnish the contacts with a little strip of plain white bond paper. Old business cards work pretty nice, but not the parts with plastic raised ink on them. Don't use anything like a file or emery cloth, which will rip the gold plating up. After that, a little deoxit might be OK, but probably not necessary.

This is a very long thread and I apologize if I've missed this, but is there such a thing as a very long, flexible straw thingy for Deoxit? You know, for those pots that are a long ways away from convenience? I bought a few packs of the Flexible Extension for Perfect-Straw, but I don't know if it will be long enough. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom