80's Technics Integrated Amps

Okay, well would you happen to know what's the best 5 in your opinion. Whether it's avr or Int amp...I have a money coming and want a high WPC Technics flagships with your opinion with models.

It'll be great to research your great judgement it seems you have for this series or time period.
If you like high WPC, the V9 is excellent, the phonostage is the best, and powerful. Its fantastic with CDs and is actually very reliable, apart from the controls can get dirty over time (little white boxes on the input pcb - a spray with contact spray and work the controls and it's good again. It can drive any speakers, and has no problems , as with my 82db sensitivity Celestion SL-6 speakers

As my friend pointed out the V4X is a great amplifer, not the most powerful, phonostage is not that bad actually on the V4X.

I would like like to get a v9 but the budget doesn't call for it yet. I need something powerful but has composure...the 10x looks promising. Power isn't everything but I'm deaf so yes it is

I would like like to get a v9 but the budget doesn't call for it yet. I need something powerful but has composure...the 10x looks promising. Power isn't everything but I'm deaf so yes it is
Yes, the V9s are not cheap these days. I dont own a 10X but it would be a nice amp if you got hold of one. The V8X is also very nice, like the V10X, lots of inputs, the V10X, has av jacks on the front.

I have been keeping an eye out and seen a SA-GX710 I believe and another G91 IA for 50$ and it had the tuner, eq, and single tray CD player from that line. 20$~30$ for those separates. I'd actually not be too mad if I decided to get those components with the G91. The GX710 is similar to the GX910 top receiver but I have old school Technics from the 70's and would like to add.

I think you'll agree after viewing my setup that it deserves its other separates. Pisses me off that the place I acquired the ST-9600 from willingly split the power amp, pre-amp, and or integrated amp. I have the Euro rack Technics and it looks good with my SA-500 silver face but it shouldn't have been left behind. Now I am a 27yr. on this mission for life and have a enough time to find the whole Euro line rack mount (pro series) but won't be very easy and or cheap.

So why I'm having this dilemma with you man is because the era of e.q. is too far apart to settle for. I would like a stack of early 90's totl gear which would be cheaper while being less time consuming but I know myself and fully/partially getting the Pro series rack separates will be more satisfying.

Thanks for your input by the way and for putting up with the back in forth. I'm sure you can understand why it's hard for me with your enthusiasm for Technics. Being brought up on Tech's and since I dived into this the Tech gear seeks me out like I'm it's destiny hahaha

It's 4:22 a.m. here and I'm riding no sleep. Let me know what your thinking after that mouth full.

Attachments

• IMAG0609.jpg
    IMAG0609.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMAG0971.jpg
    IMAG0971.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMAG0659.jpg
    IMAG0659.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 56
HI MotherGoose
Sorry for the late reply, I didnt get a remainder in the alerts.
The SU-G91, not sure what IC it had, but its possible you could drop in a SVI32016A IC, the cooling is probably like the G50 with a tiny heatsink. I dont know much about the receivers. The ST-9600 is a very good tuner, from what I read, if wouldve been nice if you couldve got the set, the place didnt realise it was a set or thought they could get more splitting it.

The MASH cd players from the early 90s, might not look much inside by they sound very good, i am fan of the MASH dac. My friend SVI2004A would know more. I really like your speakers there also.

The G91 set up for 50$ ! G91, tuner and eq and CD. I would expect that single cd player to be MASH since its early 90s, most likely with the philips CDM19 mech, which is pretty common around the place if you need a spare. I dont know much about the SA-GX710. Hahah i up at 4am, worrying over getting the G50 working again lol

Hello. I have a SU-V620 Technics amplifier paired with Q Acoustics 3020. Can you tell me if this setup it's ok or i should change the amp? One more thing: I want to buy a DAC, is it ok to buy Ifi Audio Nano iDSD for this setup? Thanks a lot for the information.

Hi. Recently acquired an SUV7 amp in fair condition. Sounds good. Cleaned it up and adjusted the bias. It runs very cool compared to my SUV3 which gets warm. Curious to know why that is other than the bias for the V7 is 2mv and around 20mv (not checked service manual recently) for the SUV3.

This is great info! SVI2004A, please do add more. I have an SU-V10x that I would love to learn more about. Many of these integrated amps by Technics from the 80's look to be well built with great specs, but not much info or reviews out there.

Personally, I find the SU-v10x to be a solid performer. It generates good clean sound backed by a lot of power. Very true to the music without coloring or being too sterile. It looks good, too.
Hi ajpanic,

I am looking at getting one the writing on the buttons are almost gone but the amp has good specs for its age...it was that or Yam AX630 or the 900 not sure...

Sorry people I replied to page one did not know this went all the way here...just in case!

Last edited:
Did you get the g50 going?

Do you have a YouTube channel for your wealth of Technics knowledge...if not you should. I acquired a SA9500mkii/TX9500mkii a week or so ago for these KLH horn Frankenstein's...the guy wanted to trade straight up so I guess Pioneer is the road I'm rolling for now. Oh and it atrocious how badly the two were treated.

Anyways let's get you up on your own page or site, blog, channel, or whatever avenue you can deal with...you'd be helping more people and sharing the know-how exponentially ya know?

Just a constructive idea

HI MotherGoose
Sorry for the late reply, I didnt get a remainder in the alerts.
The SU-G91, not sure what IC it had, but its possible you could drop in a SVI32016A IC, the cooling is probably like the G50 with a tiny heatsink. I dont know much about the receivers. The ST-9600 is a very good tuner, from what I read, if wouldve been nice if you couldve got the set, the place didnt realise it was a set or thought they could get more splitting it.

The MASH cd players from the early 90s, might not look much inside by they sound very good, i am fan of the MASH dac. My friend SVI2004A would know more. I really like your speakers there also.

The G91 set up for 50$ ! G91, tuner and eq and CD. I would expect that single cd player to be MASH since its early 90s, most likely with the philips CDM19 mech, which is pretty common around the place if you need a spare. I dont know much about the SA-GX710. Hahah i up at 4am, worrying over getting the G50 working again lol

Is it up and going yet? What's the issue and what is its role in your equipment.

Hello, Mothergoose, it was the IC was missing the fan due to a mod and maybe was throwing it out, but is working now the fan, so it is all good. The G50 is my daily, amplifier in the past and my first Technics item, so it has been very reliable apart from a few things - some resistor issue ( found here in AK) then the lastest issue was over my bypass the speaker selector cables, and fan was not connected, so maybe caused the IC to randomly shut down, seems fan, i ran it flat out kickly and no cut out plus fan cuts in at volume3 (just before 4)

I now have 2 of their middle 80's offering the SU-Z990 and the SU-AV700 (both seem to be internally the same 110 wpc at 8ohms and .05% thd). The AV700 looks a hell of a lot prettier than the Z990. Using the AV700 with a matching SH-8028 EQ for audio duty on my PC with a Pair of JBL P10 bookshelf's. I have to say for something that really does fit the BPC description in appearance they are very impressive when it comes to actually using them.

index.php

index.php

Though the real beast is my Technics SA-DX1040, not only does it have power but it's actually sexy. Though that's a totally different line from a different time.

Last edited:
There is a thread on here somewhere on how to post pics.... the links you post only lead to an error page.

Hi guys,

I have an SU-V4X from '85. The problem is, after powering it up the the new class A and computer drive LEDs don't ligth up, but the safety operation LED first blinks slowly, then after ca. 4 sec starts to blink rapidly. I've tried with and without speakers on main or on remote, only with headphones, then speaker switch on/off before powering it up... Nothing helps. Does anyone have an idea? Can a failing new class A or comuper drive LED cause such a problem?

Thank you

*UPDATE*

Problem solved: a flatband cable was not correctly plugged in, now everything is fine :)

Last edited:
Let me guess... J6 / input feed cable...

When this is not plugged in, output voltages drift.... it's due to the grounding path - finishes up in front end

Let me guess... J6 / input feed cable...

When this is not plugged in, output voltages drift.... it's due to the grounding path - finishes up in front end

It's on the right side, comes from the main PCB to the volume pot. On the main board stays J4 next to the cable.

I'd had an other question: is it somehow possible to check it simplye if the SVI2004A in the amp is "real"? I read stories about fake ICs and 2004C in a 2004A case...

Ahh yes... it is the same ground loop doing that...

Should post a pic in here of the amp internals...
can spot a c version a mile off

Back
Top Bottom